• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

Uhuh, really? I figured they had a time window and you are toast if you miss it. That's great!

I'm just after I stopped watching Beast so it's all new to me from now on!

Nope you're all good. There are points in the story where it gets tougher to roam in the open world but in general you're fine to continue on the main mission if you aren't feeling the side stuff.

Moaradin

I'm loving P5 right now, but it's gonna be hard to top Nier: Automata for me. Never thought I'd say that for a game I've been waiting over 5 years for, but here we are.

Though I'm still relatively early on even though I've put in 60 hours already. Probably won't be done for another few weeks -_-

Strimei

I just want to say, Vinny, Alex, and Dan singing (and in some cases failing) to sing the Ducktales theme song put a much needed smile on my face after a long, bleh day at work.

I'm loving P5 right now, but it's gonna be hard to top Nier: Automata for me. Never thought I'd say that for a game I've been waiting over 5 years for, but here we are.

Though I'm still relatively early on even though I've put in 60 hours already. Probably won't be done for another few weeks -_-

I love Nier A but I feel like the combat wasn't all that great. It wasn't till Route
C
that I started to be engaged with it.

At least with P5 the gameplay is rock solid imo and I'm 40 hours in not bored by it at all.

For myself, Nier's soundtrack and story will probably not be topped this year.

Zocano

Vinny starting to pull off parries and patience in TitR was some hype shit.

Too bad the pressure got to him and he choked in the third round. Hopefully he can find and keep momentum in the next episode.

via https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/854119887379152896 (in case you don't know/it's not obvious, Frank Cifaldi is the curator at the Video Game History Foundation, and worked on the MM and Disney collections)

YNkJw1O.png

That Disney Afternoon Collection stuff really is cool. If nothing else, it's interesting seeing so many Capcom games back-to-back with a clear but varying lineages from the Mega Man games.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I love Nier A but I feel like the combat wasn't all that great. It wasn't till Route
C
that I started to be engaged with it.

At least with P5 the gameplay is rock solid imo and I'm 40 hours in not bored by it at all.

For myself, Nier's soundtrack and story will probably not be topped this year.

I don't think persona combat is amazing though.

It's super fucking easy, which is a plus, but it's not top tier jrpg gameplay to me.

via https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/854119887379152896 (in case you don't know/it's not obvious, Frank Cifaldi is the curator at the Video Game History Foundation, and worked on the MM and Disney collections)

That Disney Afternoon Collection stuff really is cool. If nothing else, it's interesting seeing so many Capcom games back-to-back with a clear but varying lineages from the Mega Man games.

Say what you will about his ability as a producer, but Inafune's made some really nice art.

Guys, I KNOW HOW WE CAN GET DAN TO DODGE.

He just needs to play the Rush training where you can't attack and have to evade for a minute.

Damn, Alex nailed that
Makoto is the owner of the Empty Lot.
(Yakuza 0 BIG story spoiler)

I'm impressed because I totally didn't think that at the time.

Edit: Nvm Blitz we're just dumb.

I think I may have guessed it a chapter before the reveal but not this early.

Damn, Alex nailed that

I though it was pretty obvious.
I figured Majima's and Kiryu's had to intertwine at some point and Makoto owning the lot seemed to be the obvious answer. Still the game goes places even after the reveal

Man, Yakuza Zero is amazing. I'm only on Chapter 2 and loving it.

But I haven't seen the substories that the Beast crew did on the few episodes that I've seen. Seems that coming across these quests might be trickier than I thought.

I just did one that I found pretty great so I hope that I do stumble across a good amount of them altought I think I'll be paranoid that I'm missing stuff!

A lot of the substories are tied to story progression. As you get through the chapters, more substores are available.

They are all available by about Chapter 10-12.

Damn, Alex nailed that

I put that together way before that was revealed too. Not this early but its kind of the obvious choice once things started to connect.

Also is it just more or is it obvious Alex has already spoiled himself or is reading a head or something?

Tubobutts

Guys, I KNOW HOW WE CAN GET DAN TO DODGE.

He just needs to play the Rush training where you can't attack and have to evade for a minute.
He would not be paying attention when the rules are explained and then get confused about why he can't attack and then try to spam triangle and then say the combat is bad.

ryseing

Doom has had better games than Blood Money. The MP beta of Doom was pretty representative of how mediocre the final product MP was.

Hitman had just come off of Absolution. A couple months before release it changed to an episodic, heavy online model and had to refund preorders.

Seriously it should have been a fiasco.

The last game iD made before Doom was fucking Rage. Doom 4 underwent multiple iterations including Call of Doom. The glory kills appeared to be a dumb mechanic shoved in to give what the team thought fans wanted- more blood and guts and gore. Oh, and Doom started Bethesda's policy of no pre-release copies for reviewers.

Hitman had been reasonably well received at trade shows and while there was some concern about the pricing model there were those who saw the potential of doing an episodic Hitman game.

Both were nice surprises but the fact that we got a great Doom game in 2016 is still mind boggling to me.

Tubobutts

Haven't watched their in yakuza 0 playthough in a bit, have they done Majima's hostess minigame? I sinked so many hours into that thing.
They're just about it unlock it. And then will probably try it once and then ignore it.

Spoilers for what you get from doing it;
And not get the literally billions of yen and secret fighting style.

The last game iD made before Doom was fucking Rage. Doom 4 underwent multiple iterations including Call of Doom. The glory kills appeared to be a dumb mechanic shoved in to give what the team thought fans wanted- more blood and guts and gore. Oh, and Doom started Bethesda's policy of no pre-release copies for reviewers.

Hitman had been reasonably well received at trade shows and while there was some concern about the pricing model there were those who saw the potential of doing an episodic Hitman game.

Both were nice surprises but the fact that we got a great Doom game in 2016 is still mind boggling to me.

Hitman has had good games much more recently than Doom. I loved Doom and Doom 2, hated Doom 3 and was fully convinced that the move to 3D would prevent id from ever making a good Doom game again. Doom 2 came out in 1995!

Jesus how did it take me this long to realize what PUBG stands for

I though it stood for Public Game for about a day.

They're just about it unlock it. And then will probably try it once and then ignore it.

Spoilers for what you get from doing it;
And not get the literally billions of yen and secret fighting style.

do you really want to see them spend hours doing this? I loved doing it but I'd rather they get on with the story too.

I don't think persona combat is amazing though.

It's super fucking easy, which is a plus, but it's not top tier jrpg gameplay to me.

It's super easy until one shitty dice roll kills the MC and it's game fucking over. I'm 60 hours in and super bored with P5, doubt I'll finish it at this rate. hitting R1>x until everything is down and then triangle to finish them off is not a good combat system. It's better in the boss fights but normal combat is just extremely tedious to me.

I mean, it's not hard to guess. That was my assumption too.

I'm impressed because I totally didn't think that at the time.

Edit: Nvm Blitz we're just dumb.

I think I may have guessed it a chapter before the reveal but not this early.

It's like the most obvious twist.

I though it was pretty obvious.
I figured Majima's and Kiryu's had to intertwine at some point and Makoto owning the lot seemed to be the obvious answer. Still the game goes places even after the reveal

I put that together way before that was revealed too. Not this early but its kind of the obvious choice once things started to connect.

Also is it just more or is it obvious Alex has already spoiled himself or is reading a head or something?

e276b7895267a46f72e8f7c01fa3347d.jpg

I say this out of love.

Antiwhippy

Not with nier automata on the scene.

It also win the award for "Fairly OK ending credits song that somehow turns super amazing after listening to it 5 times".

Which is an award with a really wide pool.

I don't consider variety when it comes to evaluating how good a soundtrack is. Or any collected music works.

I don't listen to Danny brown and suddenly think "you know, this album really needs a ska track thrown in, maybe some gregorian chants while we're at it."

Well, it just so happens that the variety they throw in Yakuza 0 is consistently good. Like, I'm astounded at how good the music they made for just one side mission or a sub menu or even just training.

I mean that's fine, but that speaks to me more that it's good at creating tonally fitting pieces in the OST rather than anything to do with variety.

I was expecting it to stick to let's say one kind of instrument(s) but they really ran the gamut when it comes to the soundtrack and that's without even talking about the karaoke/disco songs. I'm damn impressed, especially because they're great to listen to in game and out.

Antiwhippy

Persona 5 has like only 1 memorable song, and thats the battle song.

Yakuza and Nier though

They deserve accolades.

Nah, I love persona 5's soundtrack. It's just not as good as nier's but it's a lot of fun.

This is like so not a spoiler, but just in case for those who are really sensitive to it
the end game bosses theme is a fucking disco track
and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom