• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

The best thing about Dan liking MGS is that he doesn't even know that it's basically an anime in video game form.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean I can understand his argument, but like alex said, he's just bad at describing it.

He did give us "a kinship with bees" so I can't stay mad.

Mr. F

Banned
I think the reverence he has for MGS' story is crazy, but then again I thought the crazy illuminati bullshit in Assassins Creed 2 was amazing so what do I know.

It was fucking cool.

Wunder

I think the reverence he has for MGS' story is crazy, but then again I thought the crazy illuminati bullshit in Assassins Creed 2 was amazing so what do I know.

It was fucking cool.

yeah it was interesting until they realized they didn't know what to do with it and kinda gave up

Mupod

I mean, the weird magic shit in Persona 3-5 is generally relegated to the dark hour/meat dimension/cognitive realm. In the real world they are just normal ass kids. I feel like someone should have pointed that out to Dan, although I doubt it would've helped.

More importantly, what would Dan's Palace look like?

LiK

I mean, the weird magic shit in Persona 3-5 is generally relegated to the dark hour/meat dimension/cognitive realm. In the real world they are just normal ass kids. I feel like someone should have pointed that out to Dan, although I doubt it would've helped.

I can only imagine it'll be a giant fast food restaurant.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
How much experience did you have before you made that?

I had done a decent amount of frontend stuff with html/css and a bit of presentational javascript, but this was the first project where I did anything really substantial on the backend side of things.

Antiwhippy

Dan have so many of his desires fulfilled without having much ambition to fulfill them that I doubt that he would have one. :p

Brad on the other hand...

yeah it was interesting until they realized they didn't know what to do with it and kinda gave up

Wasn't it, they had a very clear vision and direction for the story. Then AC Brotherhood did gangbusters and Ubi wanted yearly AC games no matter what. So then Patrice left leaving the ship without a captain and it proceeded to become a directionless mess.

Man.... remember during AC2 and Brotherhood when you could feel great about Assassins Creed? That shit was going somewhere. Then it went nowhere.

AC was "this close" to being like Mass Effect or Uncharted. That series you can look back on and feel good about

Tubobutts

Bad bad bathhouse but it's a Taco Bell.

Wunder

Wasn't it, they had a very clear vision and direction for the story. Then AC Brotherhood did gangbusters and Ubi wanted yearly AC games no matter what. So then Patrice left leaving the ship without a captain and it proceeded to become a directionless mess.

Man.... remember during AC2 and Brotherhood when you could feel great about Assassins Creed? That shit was going somewhere. Then it went nowhere.

AC was "this close" to being like Mass Effect or Uncharted. That series you can look back on and feel good about

Yeah you might be right, I don't really know the full story. AC2 and Brotherhood were the last AC games I really liked. Syndicate was aite but I probably got half way through before I stopped. I'm still waiting for my modern day Desmond AC game that Jeff promised me

The weird high tech Adam and Eve stuff and hologram lady directly addressing Desmond in AC2 were cool. Then they meandered a bit, went nowhere, and switched to you playing as a game tester. Weird and disappointing path Assassin's Creed has taken.

Mr. F

Banned

Fortunately I fell off the series before that was an issue. I just remember having a great time with 2's pseudo National Treasure/Da Vinci Code weirdness and the hilarious implication that every influential person in history was part of a secret war and had pieces of Eden to help them achieve their greatness.

And the 'The Truth' video snippets.

And the pope being the final boss.

And Minerva talking to 'the camera'

So great.

daveo42

Banned

Taco Wrestling Arena with the same layout as Mother Base. Each section of the base is themed to a different Taco Bell item (taco, burrito, quesadilla) with the center being the wrestling area. Final battle officiated by MSG2-era Solid Snake.

LiK

AC2 was awesome. I really loved the entire Ezio trilogy altho I feel thaty animated short showing what happened to him later was kinda garbage. AC3 was a disappointment. Black Flag was great. Haven't played Unity or Syndicate yet.

hamchan

AC2's ending with Minerva using Ezio to talk to Desmond in the future was a legitimately cool moment. Felt bad for Ezio though.

wtf

/edit i know even questinoning this goes against the exact first sentence of your post lol

I'll just quote myself on my thoughts on the game from an earlier post (BIG 'OL SPOILER ALERTS):

So I just got ending
E
in Neir: A and while that last bit while the
credits were rolling
was absolutely awesome and probably my favorite gaming moment this year, but overall I have to say that the game is a big disappointment for me.

The story was very interesting, but the video game part is sub-par for me.
Just going to spoiler tag my thoughts to be safe...
-Very boring open world that looks like PS3 era.
-Dodge mechanic was very "mushy" didn't feel tight like Bayonetta for example
-Having 80% of the 2nd playthrough be a copy/paste of the first is incredibly tedious and boring
-The side quests that I did were very uninspiring and seemed like they were straight out of an MMO
-Takes way to long to switch your chips out. (when you find your previous dead body why is the default option "No" when it asks if you want to re-equip your chips??? That caught me a few times)
-You have to fight the same enemies WAAAYYYY to many times towards the end of the 3rd playthrough, going up the white tower was so incredibly boring by the end.
I just wanted it to be over with.

If this game was closer to 20 hours instead of 40 I would have liked it a lot more, but there's just too much filler and padding for my tastes.

I say it's my most disappointing game so far this year because of how excited I was heading into it vs. how I feel about it now that I'm done. I know I'm in the minority on this... But hearing all the praise on GAF and hearing people like Patrick Kelepek say it's a top 10 game OF ALL TIME just isn't what I experienced.

I have a feeling that maybe the cool ending of the game was a bit ruined for me because someone on a podcast (maybe even a GB podcast) basically said exactly what happened at the end and so I knew about it coming a mile away. Makes me realize that Danny's NoClip videos about no more mysteries in games is right. I wasn't even looking to get spoiled on that game, but I did anyways, oh well.

Antiwhippy

It's kinda weird in that I didn't hear the spoiler, but hearing other people talked about it made me make assumptions about what the spoiler is, and then it turned out to be not true but made me think that my initial assumption was cooler haha. Came around to that though.

I actually kinda agree with the combat but I was so enamoured with the world and story (I thought the side stories actually pay off in really cool ways) that I was kinda glad I could just bash through it.

Dropping in some of that hot #content for anyone that's interested. It took way longer than I expected it to take to merge the two clips together and then upload the entire thing. Had to leave my laptop open overnight.

Thanks!! Pretty excited to watch/listen to this :)

Hey that job interview I fell on my ass after I left the building. I totally got the offer!

Even though I have Horizon to finish, Persona 5 to start, FF15 to go back to, Bayonetta on PC to try..... should I buy a switch and zelda to celebrate?

Congrats, thats exciting! I say yes... but Zelda is one of my favorite games in a long time so I am very biased haha. Liking the Switch a lot too (or even just playing in handheld while watching movies/GB on the TV)

(Nier is closer to 20 hours than 40)

Maybe for most people, I'm not amazing at games so I die more frequently than most people here. Also I kept getting lost in the world before fast travel opened up. I also probably left the game running for periods of time while I took care of family stuff...

But I guess I should have said that the game should be about 1/2 to 2/3 it's original length, and tighten up some sections.

Antiwhippy

I mean, fair enough, I really don't think it's the perfect game either, and while I feel that B needs to be the way it is for reasons, it could stand to be streamlined. The combat also really isn't plat's best, as well as enemy variety....

...but fuck man it's the game that's refusing to leave my head. Despite me finishing and really enjoying persona 5, I'm just right back to thinking about nier. Doesn't help that I feel that Persona is so... surface level storytelling (not a bad thing necessarily) coming from nier.

LiK

I haven't played NieR yet. Been avoiding all talk about it too. I'd rather beat the first game first to get the references in Automata.

I mean, fair enough, I really don't think it's the perfect game either, and while I feel that B needs to be the way it is for reasons, it could stand to be streamlined. The combat also really isn't plat's best, as well as enemy variety....

...but fuck man it's the game that's refusing to leave my head. Despite me finishing and really enjoying persona 5, I'm just right back to thinking about nier. Doesn't help that I feel that Persona is so... surface level storytelling (not a bad thing necessarily) coming from nier.

Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY understand why most people thoroughly enjoy that game, I get it. If it ends up being GB GOTY or several personal GOTY's here, it wouldn't surprise or upset me. I realize that I'm in the minority.

Like I said before, it had all the ingredients to be one of my favorite games, but the final dish just didn't taste good for me personally. On the other hand I'm really enjoying P5, so maybe I just like surface level stories and am to dense to grasp the deeper meanings :)

I also played an hour of Horizon last night... IT TRULY IS THE BEST TIME TO BE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.

Antiwhippy

Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY understand why most people thoroughly enjoy that game, I get it. If it ends up being GB GOTY or several personal GOTY's here, it wouldn't surprise or upset me. I realize that I'm in the minority.

Like I said before, it had all the ingredients to be one of my favorite games, but the final dish just didn't taste good for me personally. On the other hand I'm really enjoying P5, so maybe I just like surface level stories and am to dense to grasp the deeper meanings :)

I also played an hour of Horizon last night... IT TRULY IS THE BEST TIME TO BE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean surface as a way of implying shallowness, it's just that persona lays out its themes and fits into a traditional narrative structure (I'm sure there's a lot that can be said of how it criticizes japanese culture), it's more that nier's is so recursive and hidden in subtext to the point of nonsense really, that even when I at first finished route A I felt that it wasn't really that great narrative wise,

Meguro

Banned
Not only have we been blessed with good videogames in general this year but soundtrack-wise we got incredibly good stuff as well.

pizzacat

Banned
I'm doing the smart thing of playing p5 before nier, I played the intro to nier but knowing yoko he only has 2 goals, to make you feel shitty af and 2 to make you feel a little good to make you feel even shitter when he makes you feel shitty

persona is just a normal story done well with strong characters, which isn't the worst thing ever, but games like nier they take full advantage of being a game and is what I've wanted more of since like mgs2

Obviously AC Revelations began the decline of AC but I thought it was really cool the way they
expanded on Altair's story and tied Ezio to him
. Everything after it has never felt the same and I haven't finished an AC game since. I was a big fan but they really blew it with 3.

I so badly wanted to like Assassin's Creed 3. Eventually of course I had to admit that it was a bad game. I hope there is a great game set in Revolutionary America someday.

LiK

I so badly wanted to like Assassin's Creed 3. Eventually of course I had to admit that it was a bad game. I hope there is a great game set in Revolutionary America someday.

I played it at launch when the bugs were more prominent. Seems they fixed all that shit way after I beat it. I know people who played it after the fixes and liked it.

I played it at launch when the bugs were more prominent. Seems they fixed all that shit way after I beat it. I know people who played it after the fixes and liked it.
I went back to it a year or so ago and either the old games don't play great anymore or it still has issues.

The live one is superior. Stronger vocals with no weird filters.

I feel like they ruined it by not mirroring the live version. (Granted, I haven't played the game... but the live version just sounds sooo much better to me.)

But Persona 5's Life Will Change (the infiltration theme, I think this is it. Can't delve into P5 on Youtube until I finish the game.) is my song of the year so far. So good, so hype, so perfect. There can be nothing else; I just want to listen to it on loop forever.

Megasoum

Banned
I never understood the love for Black Flag and always thought it was waayyy overrated.

Sure it's better than 3 (anything is really...) and the boat stuff was fun but everytime you got back on land it was back to the bad old AC stuff. A TON of tailing missions with insta-fail triggers and other similar bullshit.

Haven't played much of Unity and the whole co-op aspect is a turn off for me.

Syndicate is actually good tho and I really need to go back to it and finish it one day.

Hindl

It doesn't hang with Persona, Nier, or Yakuza, but I really liked what they did with the soundtrack in BotW. Very understated but it fit the game really well. And the piano theme that slowly kicks up when you're riding around Hyrule is amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom