• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I give Tekken 7 my money

I want to after the whole 'Everyone speaks their own language and understands everyone else' thing. That's so stupid it's great.

Anyone remember this game? there was a trailer for a Getaway game on the PS3, whatever happened to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq5lEXwbV68&t=34s

I do. It was actually kinda decent, driving was weird though. The people who made the first game and Black Monday (Team Soho) got absorbed into SCE London Studio and got regulated to Singstar and Eyepet duty for years and just when they were gonna start working on the game again, Yoshida took over at Sony Worldwide Studios and started cutting fat to get the company back on track and Getaway PS3 was one of the causalities.

Hindl

Sorry but P5 would be a better game if it was half it's length

No, some of the dungeons, especially in the back half, take a little too long, and the pacing generally messes up once you catch back up to the opening of the game, but cutting the length wouldn't really help that. Just needed better pacing and editing, which could be done without shortening the game

man, Patrick just kinda sucks, huh

funny hat man overreacting to gameplay is about as far away from what he excels at as I can imagine

like, people who wear hats indoors kinda suck by default

Curufinwe

I hope so, but I won't hold my breath either.

I don't think he will finish it unless he starts playing it at work, same as P4. I'm not sure why he hasn't played it on any Beast streams yet. Atlus relaxed the date restriction till November something, and like with Dan and Yakuza 0, he would benefit from getting advice from Alex.

Speaking of BitE, I really enjoyed the part where Dan had to take a piss and Vinny encouraged Alex to find out if the combat was really how Dan's mashtastic approach makes it seem.

Xater

You could say that about pretty much every JRPG, if not every game.

Definitely agree on JRPGs. They have a real problem of falling in a big slump during the middle. Same reason I didn't finish Bravely Default. Started strong and then just went on meandering. I really can't deal with that in a linear game that's 50 to 100 hours.

daveo42

Banned
Definitely agree on JRPGs. They have a real problem of falling in a big slump during the middle. Same reason I didn't finish Bravely Default. Started strong and then just went on meandering. I really can't deal with that in a linear game that's 50 to 100 hours.

My issue with Bravely Default was all the backtracking constantly. The combat system also wore thin for me by the midpoint. I heard it only goes downhill from where I stopped playing.

Curufinwe

BD is notoriously bad in that respect.

It applies way more to JRPGs though. IMO for the majority of JRPGs you could cut every batttle that wasn't a bossfight and end up with a better game.

That just sounds like you don't like the genre. It's like not being into racing games and saying Forza Horizon 3 would be better if every race was a maximum of 60 seconds long.

oti

Banned

Tell me about it. I stopped playing Xenoblade and Tokyo Mirage Sessions half-way. I love both games but they're too long.

Xater

Tell me about it. I stopped playing Xenoblade and Tokyo Mirage Sessions half-way. I love both games but they're too long.

Yes, Xenoblade had the same problem for me as well. I think the only JRPG I be finished in like a decade might have been FFXV. Unless we also count the Souls games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MS will be either the most or the least surprising this year. We know what their key studios are working on. Questions is how many deals for exclusives they have done. But then again, Scalebound was such a deal too. I don't expect much from MS to be honest.

Sony has to announce a bunh of release dates. I don't expect much new games here either but it's Sony. They always have something up their sleeves.

We don't know everything from MS but assumption is not to expect much

We don't know everything about Sony but assumption is they'll have something up their sleeve

Not disagreeing with you, but if this is a commonly held view it isn't good for MS and it'll be a lot of work to win back mindshare

daveo42

Banned
Yes, Xenoblade had the same problem for me as well. I think the only JRPG I be finished in like a decade might have been FFXV. Unless we also count the Souls games.

Jeez...I put 100 hours into XV fairly easily and I clocked another 50 into Persona 5 just the first time through.

I am 50 hours into the game and don't want to finish it because i know i have to spend another 50 hours.
It's way too long.

The current Persona formula tends to make them longer than more traditional JRPGs because of the year schedule, but it's not that much longer really. If the game's good and the story is engaging, I don't care about length.

Curufinwe

I told my wife now that we have a 4K TV I want to get the new Xbox console in November. So she asked me what exclusive I wanted to play on it... and I couldn't think of anything. My last Halo was 3, so maybe 6 would be a good time to jump back in....

But just like with the original Xbox and the 360, I think there will be multiplatform games that run better that make the purchase worth it since I don't have a modern gaming PC. Winning Eleven 8 and 9 on the Xbox, and Bayonetta on the 360 were the games I played most on those consoles.

Phatmac

Disappointed in Ben's final impressions. Barely talked about it and only mentioned the lows instead of the highs. His original first talk about it was good but he didn't even talk about what happens later on to any degree. I was quite bummed out about it. It was some vague shit.

I hope he gets into it and discusses some of the later cool moments. Of course, he won't be able to be too detailed about it because Vinny is still playing it but I'm glad he liked it.
Same. I was pretty disappointed with his thoughts on the game. I hope they get to talk about the game more later in the year.

TraBuch

Banned
I wear a hat indoors because I need somewhere to put my sunglasses while indoors because I find it really uncomfortable pulling them up to the top of my head.

Also, I'm balding.

oti

Banned
We don't know everything from MS but assumption is not to expect much

We don't know everything about Sony but assumption is they'll have something up their sleeve

Not disagreeing with you, but if this is a commonly held view it isn't good for MS and it'll be a lot of work to win back mindshare

I'm basing this on how MS is structured. They have four key studios and their only purpose is to develop for key franchises. Halo, Gears, Forza and Minecraft. That's what they do and unless MS is really shaking up their structure that will stay the same.

Sony is just different in that regard. Look at this weirdo game Dreams. What the hell is that? Why are they working on that thing for so many years? Who's even going to buy that? MS isn't like that. Add in the fact that Xbox does not really exist in Japan, Sony could have some cool third party games from there that will never be on Xbox.

The biggest surprise MS showed last year was Xbox 360 backwards compability. And even if they show something completely new, there will always be doubt about whether it comes out or not. They did that to themselves. It will take some time to build up that trust again. As far as mindshare goes, that battle is over. People believing Scorpio will do gangbusters and balance out the race are deluded. Not even Microsoft believes that.

Hasney

I told my wife now that we have a 4K TV I want to get the new Xbox console in November. So she asked me what exclusive I wanted to play on it... and I couldn't think of anything. My last Halo was 3, so maybe 6 would be a good time to jump back in....

But just like with the original Xbox and the 360, I think there will be multiplatform games that run better that make the purchase worth it since I don't have a modern gaming PC. Winning Eleven 8 and 9 on the Xbox, and Bayonetta on the 360 were the games I played most on those consoles.

Crackdown and Sea of Thieves are the only two I'm interested in and they might get cancelled.

Curufinwe

Crackdown could be cool. I'd be shocked if either of those get cancelled after all the shit they got for Scalebound.

This is the most tragic thing I've ever heard.

Being interested in a new console without knowing the full list of upcoming exclusives for it when E3 hasn't even happened yet is pretty normal, actually.

Hasney

Being interested in a new console without knowing the full list of upcoming exclusives for it when E3 hasn't even happened yet is pretty normal, actually.

Not really in this new iterative world. We knew Sonys exclusives going into the Pros unveiling.

oti

Banned
I feel kinda bad for Sea of Thieves. It started out as that quirky little new game by Rare but now after Fable and Scalebound got cancelled its one of the few exclusive games people keep mentioning. I'm afraid people are going to be disappointed no matter how good it actually is.

Curufinwe

I wear a hat indoors because I need somewhere to put my sunglasses while indoors because I find it really uncomfortable pulling them up to the top of my head

CIOFm01UYAAsnTt.jpg

Hasney

I feel kinda bad for Sea of Thieves. It started out as that quirky little new game by Rare but now after Fable and Scalebound got cancelled its one of the few exclusive games people keep mentioning. I'm afraid people are going to be disappointed no matter how good it actually is.

Even without the Rare name, I've dug everything they've showed. I think it would be at the same level of hype even if MS was firing on all cylinders.

Hindl

they'll just be delayed and/or in early access

forever

Both of them will be out by next year. They're pretty much all MS has left, they won't possibly let them slip. Crackdown in particular is what Scorpio is going to hang its hat on. The games may not turn out well, but they'll ship no matter what

daveo42

Banned
SoT will come out. No way MS lets it languish.

The biggest surprise MS showed last year was Xbox 360 backwards compability. And even if they show something completely new, there will always be doubt about whether it comes out or not. They did that to themselves. It will take some time to build up that trust again. As far as mindshare goes, that battle is over. People believing Scorpio will do gangbusters and balance out the race are deluded. Not even Microsoft believes that.

MS could do well with Scorpio if people are interested enough in buying a more powerful console that plays all the same third party games you can get on the PS4. I just doubt it's enough to move the needle, even in NA.

Curufinwe

Not really in this new iterative world. We knew Sonys exclusives going into the Pros unveiling.

Exclusives aren't the only games you can play on a console, though. As I explained, better performance in multiplatform games has always been important to me.

Wasn't there a point where Beast streamed every Wednesday or am I losing my mind?

man, Patrick just kinda sucks, huh

funny hat man overreacting to gameplay is about as far away from what he excels at as I can imagine

like, people who wear hats indoors kinda suck by default

Yeah, on the other hand people being dicks to others on the internet are the coolest people in the world.

Both of them will be out by next year. They're pretty much all MS has left, they won't possibly let them slip. Crackdown in particular is what Scorpio is going to hang its hat on. The games may not turn out well, but they'll ship no matter what

Never

Crackdown will continue being a pipe dream

ArjanN

BD is notoriously bad in that respect.

That just sounds like you don't like the genre. It's like not being into racing games and saying Forza Horizon 3 would be better if every race was a maximum of 60 seconds long.

Nah, terrrible pacing with lots of filler combat is just pretty common in JRPGs.

360 BC on win10...make it happen microsoft

I think MS are playing ckicken with the emulator scene with that one.

I bet they could easily do it BUT if they do it now it could probably be reverse engineered or hacked so anyone could just insert their own dump into it.

If someone finally makes a decent 360 emulator on their own then MS can release theirs without fear of being the ones who opened up the can of worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom