• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I made an all-time list it would likely have much more PC games than consoles. Unfortunately, no one would recognize such titles like 'The Sims' as they're PC games and no ones heard of PC games
The Sims, huh... is that one of those B Games that Dan was talking about?

oti

Banned
I watched the archive thanks to the user who had the embeded link still. It was an okay UPF. I liked the conversations more than the games they played but they played Titanfall 2, Portal Knights (not sure tbh), and Tekken 7.

Ah, thanks. Brandon Jones from EZA played Portal Knights. Seems like a Dragon Quest Builders with less charme. But still alright for people who like those games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Persona 4 having a handheld version made it great

I also think I'm good on long ass games until Kiwami.
I still havent started FFXV

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It doesn't help to go into Persona 5 after playing Yakuza 0

Where I thought the characters and Majima's story were incredible
Where as I thought the characters in P5 were almost all awful/boring except a very select few and the story was ....?

Night In The Woods kind of gave me my Persona fix much quicker even though it had issues too. I didnt have to waste 90 hours on it to see 'the good stuff'

Aselith

Hmmm.

So was Persona 4 really that great or was it the Endurance Run that made it great?

It was great and that's more than likely why people aren't quite as into 5.

5 follows some similar beats in terms of characterization so it's not as surprising and fresh. Like, it has its own story and the details are much different but broadly it's similar. Still great though.

Also P4 was a much lighter game. Everybody was happy and shit and everyone in P5 is sadboys.

Where as I thought the characters in P5 were almost all awful/boring except a very select few and the story was ....?

Night In The Woods kind of gave me my Persona fix much quicker even though it had issues too. I didnt have to waste 90 hours on it to see 'the good stuff'

I mean, if you don't like JRPGs Persona probably isn't a series for you. (The combat, collecting Personas, various social stuff, and unveiling the whole story are all part of the good stuff!)

It's also the wonders of a quality localization.

And the "good stuff" in Persona 5 is the first 1/3 of the game. It's the opposite of a game that gets better the farther in you go.

Danger Zone seems like the proof of concept demo you release as part of a Kickstarter as you try to get money to make the actual game.

Its sub early access.

Meguro

Banned
I know it won't happen but I hope they completely scrap the P5 localization for the inevitable "Golden" version of the game.
I think with a proper good localization it could've been my favorite Persona game.

Know what nobody ever says? "That Chrono Trigger ER really got me into GB."

Maybe not. But it got me to play and finish Chrono Trigger, so there's that.

I know it won't happen but I hope they completely scrap the P5 localization for the inevitable "Golden" version of the game.
I think with a proper good localization it could've been my favorite Persona game.

Does anyone know the story behind that yet? I thought we were past bad localisation on high profile games.

- J - D -

It was great and that's more than likely why people aren't quite as into 5.

5 follows some similar beats in terms of characterization so it's not as surprising and fresh. Like, it has its own story and the details are much different but broadly it's similar. Still great though.

Also P4 was a much lighter game. Everybody was happy and shit and everyone in P5 is sadboys.

Yeah could be why I'm not seeing P5 getting the same kind of fervent following P4 got.

I never watched the Chrono Trigger ER because I always wanted to beat it on my own...

I've kinda avoided all GB playthroughs of games I want to play. Life is Strange, Until Dawn, Chrono Trigger... except in the odd case where GB's playthrough convinces me to buy something myself. Contradiction and Deadly Premonition are the stars here.

Does anyone know the story behind that yet? I thought we were past bad localisation on high profile games.

All the signs point to it being rushed to meet a deadline. It looks like they threw a ton of bodies at the project just to finish it in time and didn't give it a proper edit. The general rule with localization is that the more translators you have, the more editing work is required to maintain consistency in quality and voice. That didn't happen here.

You can probably blame Atlus Japan for not giving localizers access sooner.

Zekes!

I need to go back to Persona 5, I haven't played it in a month. I left off in September.

Persona 5 is a great game, and I like a lot of the changes they made to the P3/4 formula, but I think the biggest failing of the game (for me up to this point) is the Social Links/Confidants. Most of them I just don't care about the same way I did in 3/4.

The highlight of the series for me is still Persona 3, but that's because I picked it up at release and it felt so fresh and unique for a JRPG. Persona 4 is a better game, but by that point I knew what to expect from it. I would say Persona 5 is more enjoyable gameplay wise than either of those two games but the freshness of its gameplay style is long gone. I hope they really change things up for Persona 6.

Zaph

yeah, ideally. Maybe if the Switch gets a large enough install base we might see something? With another pass at the localisation and re-recorded VO, I'd double dip immediately. Such a bummer

Im not sure it's really bad localization because the characters that are "bad" are consistently bad. I think maybe US got some weird directives from JP that effected their ability to properly translate in some way.

We already have stories about weird name readings being specifically requested by JP and some other tidbits like the streaming restrictions.
They just rushed it and used a large team. Good localisation doesn't scale well with team size.

Aselith

Im not sure it's really bad localization because the characters that are "bad" are consistently bad. I think maybe US got some weird directives from JP that effected their ability to properly translate in some way.

We already have stories about weird name readings being specifically requested by JP and some other tidbits like the streaming restrictions.

Directives from Japan are probably not why the localization is stiff, reads awkwardly, and has a bunch of overly literal phrasing...things that would generally by fixed in editing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, if you don't like JRPGs Persona probably isn't a series for you. (The combat, collecting Personas, various social stuff, and unveiling the whole story are all part of the good stuff!)

I do like JRPGs. As I said, the big issue was the drawing factor of the characters weren't very good where as I enjoyed several characters in P4 or Trails in the Sky or other RPGs.

Aselith

Directives from Japan are probably not why the localization is stiff, reads awkwardly, and has a bunch of overly literal phrasing...things that would generally by fixed in editing.

Unless JP said specifically to translate certain characters/lines as literally as possible to preserve a meaning that they wanted to convey or something. Even if US disagreed with the decision, they are only allowed so much leeway from the mothership.

I don't know much about localization but it seems at least plausible that different characters got handed to different localizers so that they could try to maintain a consistent voice, hence why characters like Ryuji are consistently good while characters like Sae are consistently bad.

Unless JP said specifically to translate certain characters/lines as literally as possible to preserve a meaning that they wanted to convey or something. Even if US disagreed with the decision, they are only allowed so much leeway from the mothership.

Blaming all the poor writing and bad editing on Japan is a stretch, especially when the huge localization staff is already a red flag for it being rushed.

Aselith

I don't know much about localization but it seems at least plausible that different characters got handed to different localizers so that they could try to maintain a consistent voice, hence why characters like Ryuji are consistently good while characters like Sae are consistently bad.

It totally could be that but generally if it was a bad translator, it should have been picked up by the supervising editors. No one just translates without things getting at least a second pass.

Though it could have been a bad editor AND a rushed localization of course.

Blaming all the poor writing and bad editing on Japan is a stretch, especially when the huge localization staff is already a red flag for it being rushed.

I don't BUT there's a consistency to the way she written that seems at odds with just a bad job.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also while I understand the excitement for the change to static dungeons in Peronsa 5 letting the art and design layout get a little more creative compared to randomly generated ones, it feels like only the art team got creative with it. The nonstop corridors of the Persona 5 dungeons is extremely boring once you've been oooed by the art two or three times. It's like 'this looks cool' for the first 5 minutes of every dungeon and then you, or I, don't even think about it after that and the attempts to innovate with backtracking and puzzles never felt satisfying and just felt more annoying likely due to retreading the samey looking environment over and over again.

Also while I understand the excitement for the change to static dungeons in Peronsa 5 letting the art and design layout get a little more creative compared to randomly generated ones, it feels like only the art team got creative with it. The nonstop corridors of the Persona 5 dungeons is extremely boring once you've been oooed by the art two or three times. It's like 'this looks cool' for the first 5 minutes of every dungeon and then you, or I, don't even think about it after that and the attempts to innovate with backtracking and puzzles never felt satisfying and just felt more annoying likely due to retreading the samey looking environment over and over again.

The dungeons have cool premises and art, but yeah the actual level design isn't very good. All the puzzles are mindless busy work and very few clever things are done with the layouts. Compared to most RPGs built around dungeon crawling (which is like 80% of JRPGs nowadays), Persona 5's dungeons are still lacking.

I need to get back to P5. Had a couple trips and trying to jump back in is tricky, and soon I'll end up consuming E3 nonsense for a few days.

I'll be honest that a PC, Switch, or Vita version would've helped me speed things along.

Know what nobody ever says? "That Chrono Trigger ER really got me into GB."

Chrono Trigger is tied with Persona 4 as my favorite JRPG. I think I only watch under half an episode of that ER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom