• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Supported it with what

They probably had a release schedule they stuck to. Congratulations, they met their quota. So gracious.

Games. Numbers wise it made no sense to support Wii U that long. But Nintendo didn't want to lose trust so they continued working on it. 🤷*♀️

I mean in general most companies care about their shareholders first and foremost anyway.

Wait, I thought you were the Vita guy, but I guess I can't keep everyone's insane opinions straight anymore.

The last thing I remember is you going in hard defending Jim Ryan, so you hate backwards comptability and love accidental crash zooms, right?

Defending is stretching it. The guy said nobody would want to play the first few Gran Turismo games again in this day and age. That's not some insane statement, barring some die-hard fans of course. People just took that statement and believed it means Sony doesn't care about BC in general and for the future. Which he didn't say.

So you're saying Jeff has been vindicated yet again when last year he expressed his worry that Nintendo would lean too heavily on the 3DS even though they had a perfectly good portable replacement in the Switch?

Prescient as always Mr. Gerstmann.

Jeff deserves no credit. Nintendo literally said they would continue to support the 3DS. It's on you if you thought that was a lie.

Curufinwe

Defending is stretching it. The guy said nobody would want to play the first few Gran Turismo games again in this day and age. That's not some insane statement, barring some die-hard fans of course. People just took that statement and believed it means Sony doesn't care about BC in general and for the future. Which he didn't say.

They don't care about it cause they don't have it. Like rumble in the early PS3 years.

When PS4 games are BC on the PS5 they will start touting how cool that is.

oti

Banned
They don't care about it cause they don't have it. Like rumble in the early PS3 years.

When PS4 games are BC on the PS5 they will start touting how cool that is.

Of course they're downplaying BC since they don't have it. That's what any business would do. BC is cool and I want every console to have it.

That said, being able to see how BC isn't a big deal for the mainstream audience isn't "taking a side" or "defending" anyone.

I studied business administration. I always look at things from both sides. I can't help it.

remember all the mailbags they used to do?

I miss mailbags, but it got old when people started shipping them literal garbage, or things they've gotten thousands of times over. I really enjoyed the stuff where people would send in old war stuff or cool books and airplane manuals or something though (usually for Drew)

In this case, his words reflect Sony's attitude on classic games as a whole: PS Now for PS3 games is a mess, PS2 support is terrible and, even after nearly four years, you can't play PS1 games on PS4. I scoffed when Jeff said last year's E3 conference was the return of "arrogant Sony," but stuff like Jim Ryan's comment is classic complacent Sony.

daveo42

Banned
The BC comments focuses on the wrong part of BC. Sure, most people don't actually play old games, but it's still nice to have. Surprised they forgot that when they are one of console makers who pushed it the hardest.

i added the important music

At least put good anime music on there if you're going to do that.

The BC comments focuses on the wrong part of BC. Sure, most people don't actually play old games, but it's still nice to have. Surprised they forgot that when they are one of console makers who pushed it the hardest.

At least put good anime music on there if you're going to do that.

k-on is the best anime

oti

Banned
In this case, his words reflect Sony's attitude on classic games as a whole: PS Now for PS3 games is a mess, PS2 support is terrible and, even after nearly four years, you can't play PS1 games on PS4. I scoffed when Jeff said last year's E3 conference was the return of "arrogant Sony," but stuff like Jim Ryan's comment is classic complacent Sony.

See, this is where I disagree. They have the data. They know which games people want to see the most, that's why they release PS2 on PS4 games. That's NOWHERE NEAR as good as what MS does, but still. It's something. And going by their sales numbers this something is good enough for most people.

Also this arrogant complacent Sony thing is such a misguided thing to believe. Companies invest in what they believe makes the most sense for them. Just because your and Sony's interests don't align perfectly all the time, that doesn't mean they're arrogant. Calling them complacent is also quite a thing to say, considering their huge network of developers creating exclusive games for their platform. Add in exclusive deals for co-marketing and you really can't tell me Sony's just sitting back doing nothing all day.

Death_Metalist, I see you adding to Gerstmann's playlist!

Z21meiR.gif

Gotta combat the anime.
People are cunts anyway. It was at around 730 when I added some songs a few hours ago, then after the Mixlr started and now, a shitton has been added, but it's only at 538. So no point adding shit now, it'll just be randomly deleted most likely.

Well, this is what happens when you give power to people. I won't be surprised if it gets wiped to 0.

I should probably save the Bombcast for tomorrow when I go to get my windshield repaired and have to kill some time waiting for the install to finish.

Hasney

I got Jeff to be disgusted by Sonic Adventure 2, so I might not bother re-adding the stuff people have deleted. That was fun enough. Most of them were metal guitar covers of video hames anyway.

Zornack

the best games are old games
ps3 and xbox 360 games are not old games
old games are best played on emulators

Therefore console bc is worthless

Aselith

Two songs I picked Jeff played on the stream today.
Twas fun.

I don't think he has it on shuffle because the first day he played it, he played three of mine so I think he just picks a spot to start playing and if you happen to be at that spot he will play a bunch of yours if you added them fairly close together.

Hasney

I don't think he has it on shuffle because the first day he played it, he played three of mine so I think he just picks a spot to start playing and if you happen to be at that spot he will play a bunch of yours if you added them fairly close together.

Maybe, and when he's disgusted by a song he picks a new place. That wasn't in order after Sonic Adventure 2.

Strax

It was on shuffle

Yeah, these guys are still really bad at Battlegrounds. They still just don't know when to engage, when to hide. They can't ambush and fall for everyone else's ambush.

I really want to like Waypoint's podcast but it's just too much loud nonsense.

Edit: which eventually subsides for a pretty decent emails section.

See, this is where I disagree. They have the data. They know which games people want to see the most, that's why they release PS2 on PS4 games. That's NOWHERE NEAR as good as what MS does, but still. It's something. And going by their sales numbers this something is good enough for most people.

Also this arrogant complacent Sony thing is such a misguided thing to believe. Companies invest in what they believe makes the most sense for them. Just because your and Sony's interests don't align perfectly all the time, that doesn't mean they're arrogant. Calling them complacent is also quite a thing to say, considering their huge network of developers creating exclusive games for their platform. Add in exclusive deals for co-marketing and you really can't tell me Sony's just sitting back doing nothing all day.

Do they, though? Like one of the last games to come out was Eternal Ring. That would be fine if PS2 releases were coming out at a faster rate, but they aren't. It's been like a year and half, and they're already on a sub-virtual console release schedule. It's junk.

As for your second point, here's a specific example of Sony's complacency. Generally, the Playstation Plus offerings have been weaker this generation than last, and that's obviously because you have to pay to play online now. That's two instances in one service where you're getting a worse deal than when Sony was working hard to regain consumer confidence. And don't forget that they jacked up the price on Playstation Plus last year (because they can), so you're paying more for that already diminished service. And they can do all of this because they don't need to fight for relevancy. That's complacency.

Have you listened to Glixel? John Davis is in it. Reminds me of the good old 1UP days.

I'm surprised he hasn't bailed out yet.

oti

Banned
Do they, though? Like one of the last games to come out was Eternal Ring. That would be fine if PS2 releases were coming out at a faster rate, but they aren't. It's been like a year and half, and they're already on a sub-virtual console release schedule. It's junk.

As for your second point, here's a specific example of Sony's complacency. Generally, the Playstation Plus offerings have been weaker this generation than last, and that's obviously because you have to pay to play online now. That's two instances in one service where you're getting a worse deal than when Sony was working hard to regain consumer confidence. And don't forget that they jacked up the price on Playstation Plus last year (because they can), so you're paying more for that already diminished service. And they can do all of this because they don't need to fight for relevancy. That's complacency.

I'm surprised he hasn't bailed out yet.

You mean you're surprised Glixel still exists after hiring him. John Davis, destroyer of media outlets.

Looking at the PS2 for PS4 games list, it looks pretty robust. Maybe they're moving on more obscure games now, I don't know. I don't know how many even care about this, now that all the GTA games are on there. Without the data it's difficult to say one way or another.

As far as PS+ goes, yes, that service has become worse. Or it can't deliver on the same level that made the service great to begin with. I guess this is due to many factors, involving licensing, the fact that one needs PS+ to play online anyway and so on. But then again, maybe the funding that went into securing deals for great PS+ games now goes into securing deals for time exclusive DLC or co-marketing. Both of which are 100% worse than great PS+ games but if you see it from Sony's perspective, I'd bet they want to drive PS+ subscriptions based on the online games and less so on the free games. That's a shift in priorities that makes the service worse for many, including me.

Hasney

I prefer PS+ now. I never bothered on PS3 as they just gave away games I already owned. I love the months where they have an indie that's released that same day rather than some old "big" game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom