• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Rewatching the Mario trailer, and Brad losing it at "evil wedding planning firm" has to be a highlight of E3

FhGu9zJ.gif

Megasoum

Banned
Having just started watching the segment, and getting 5 minutes in, I'm going to disagree with you here.

Greg Miller is just so aggressively obnoxious and loud, even when sober.

100% agree with you but then I kinda think the same of Johnny V and John Drake so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

The "holy trinity" segments can be entertaining train wrecks but they are still train wrecks...

I'd really like to see a series or something about fighting games, but actually gear it down a little bit towards showing how the game is played properly. I grew up in the 80's and 90's in arcades and was always able to hold my own for a bit with fighting games by just mashing buttons. But I never got into how to play most of these games properly. What I was hoping when Ranking of Fighters came out, I was hoping that they were going to explain how the games were put together and what does what and things of that nature. I really wouldn't hate Ranking of Fighters if it came back tweeked to incorporate some knowledge on these games and how the mechanics of each one worked while they played.

I think there is much more value then them playing a game or two for a couple hours and not really doing much else.

Fireblend

Banned
Just finished all of the My First E3 episodes and I'm actually upset we won't get more. I need more Abby+Ben content.
just when GB was finally catering to my millennial self too.

Also have you guys noticed Brad hasn't been on any piece of content since E3 ended? What's up with that?

ArjanN

I'd really like to see a series or something about fighting games, but actually gear it down a little bit towards showing how the game is played properly. I grew up in the 80's and 90's in arcades and was always able to hold my own for a bit with fighting games by just mashing buttons. But I never got into how to play most of these games properly. What I was hoping when Ranking of Fighters came out, I was hoping that they were going to explain how the games were put together and what does what and things of that nature. I really wouldn't hate Ranking of Fighters if it came back tweeked to incorporate some knowledge on these games and how the mechanics of each one worked while they played.

I think there is much more value then them playing a game or two for a couple hours and not really doing much else.

To do that wouldn't they themselves first have to know how to play properly?
Only half kidding here.

I agree in general though that I'd like something a bit more indepth about fighting games, I like the idea Drew had about a series where he'd actually try to learn fighting games, but that never went anywhere.

Vinny vs Dan in Soul Calibur was entertaining as well, but beating Dan wasn't really that high a goal.

Meatball subs are better in concept than they are in execution, far too many meatball-less bites. We need innovation in meatball form factor, thinking outside the 'ball.'

Kinda curious what the post E3 feel is gonna be on the bombcast.

It felt like such a filler E3. Scorpio didnt knock it out of the park. Sony just showed the same shit as last year but now gave a generic 2018 release date and Nintendo didnt drop any bombs. Mario Odyssey looks dope tho.

It was a year where you could unironically say Ubisoft had the best press conference and it had a awkward dance number half way in.

Plenty of good shit for the rest of the year at least.

Wolfenstein looks cool.
Mario is gonna be dope.
That Uncharted thing and Horizon thing.
Forza looks cool. And is on PC!
And Crackdown even though looks kinda bland and the power of the cloud is only a side thing now is still a new crackdown game.
Maybe Destiny 2 wont be a total bummer?

Good year.

My First E3 was great.

They really hit their stride with the Will Smith and Meatball sub episodes.

Abby and Ben are great.

Giant Bomb is great.

Great, Great, Great.

There's been several of those years, including the last one.

I feel like Ubi has had similarly good lineups at their shows but this year I think ditching Aisha Tyler and giving the developers a bit of extra room really elevated their show. There was no awkward meme bullshit that took away from it. After the show I was left thinking "that was a great show" and not "'someone totally said #girlwood during all that"

I hope Sony learns from it. The "we just showed trailer after trailer after trailer" idea is one of those things that sounds nice on paper but it just jacked flow and personality and that human factor you only get by awkward developers in plaid shirts talking about their game.

I had been tweeting about Nier Automata a bit as I played through it and tagged Taro once I finished it. My phone lit up a little while ago -

ge4rerqm.jpg

He follows a ton of people so it's clearly not a huge deal or anything, but still, it's nice to have a reminder once in a while that one of the best things about the internet is that you can express your love for something and have a pretty good chance of its creators actually seeing it. Shouting "I loved thing!" into the void and actually getting a ping back showing that it's appreciated is just the coolest fucking thing.

Games are awesome, the internet is awesome, and I'm going to try to go work on something of my own during this brief optimistic period before the crushing realities of life set back in!

Arms is actually really fun but only when you're playing against human opponents. The AI at higher difficulties is bordering on broken. Basically omniscient and can predict your every move.

SummitAve

Banned
Arms is actually really fun but only when you're playing against human opponents. The AI at higher difficulties is bordering on broken. Basically omniscient and can predict your every move.

Yeah I've been enjoying the party mode, it has a nice pace to it. I'm terrible so it's nice that no match ever lasts that long, and I like the mix of game types as it gives me a chance at stealing a win. I'm struggling to clear level 4 to unlock ranked mode though...gotta practice some more. It also passed the girlfriend test which I don't think a fighting game ever would. She's able to play, have fun, and still be challenged in close fights on the lower difficulties against ai.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I really don't have any need for multiplayer only games on my Switch but Arms doesn't look like something I'd be interested in anyway

Guys knocked it out of the park this year. The guests were great and whilst some folks may have dominated segments like Janina and the wrestlers they came off as genuine, passionate and genuine like it was because they never got to talk about how excited over games on this kinda stage, it wasn't a matter of them tearing off their clothes and shouting over everyone. Hope that we get to see Abby more on camera and Ben killed it, I kinda miss the fact that the guys no longer have a serious journalist type on their site however the new folks have done really well at adapting so quickly and are great. Also props to Brad for managing to stay conscious on the liveshows despite his workload.

I can be super critical of GB sometimes but the E3 shows alone make the subscription costs worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom