• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
VNs are good games tho...

This seems pretty obvious. Don't expect -any- game that was on the PS4 this year that wasn't also on the XB1 to be on the list outside of Horizon. They go on and on about how theres no difference in the library between the two. They'll even leave off Nier

Nier will be on it. I think Jeff and Alex will fight for it and I think Alex will be more inclined to fight for Nier than Persona.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You can deny it all you want but deep in your heart you already know that neither Persona 5 nor Yakuza will be in the Top 10.

This seems pretty obvious. Don't expect -any- game that was on the PS4 this year that wasn't also on the XB1 to be on the list outside of Horizon. They go on and on about how theres no difference in the library between the two. They'll even leave off Nier

The only wildcard this GoTY is Ben/Abby. If either of them can pull an Austin, the entire list could be shaken beyond recognition.

Like, Austin's prepared speech is the most decisive victory in GBGOTY history, I think? (I haven't listed to some of the early 201X GotYcasts.) Game was put up for deliberation out of the blue, and no one could do knock it either way--so it stayed. It was a flawless victory... because GotY is really a battle!
I have played over 90 hours of Persona 5, and I'm probably only a couple hours away from seeing the credits. But I haven't played it in weeks, and somehow I have lost all interest to actually go back and finish it. Is that weird?

Not really. You've gotta be in the mood.

Life will change when it's time. And the save game, barring disaster, will be there for you.

oti

Banned
Absolutely

wI8mAph.png

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

They gush enough about Nier so it might have a chance (and again, it has best story on lock)
Persona 5 has no chance cause only Alex and Ben played it and neither seem to be that hot on it.
And Yakuza I don't know cause I stopped watching BitE after 6 episodes (not that it wasn't good)

Like, Austin's prepared speech is the most decisive victory in GBGOTY history, I think? (I haven't listed to some of the early 201X GotYcasts.) Game was put up for deliberation out of the blue, and no one could do knock it either way--so it stayed. It was a flawless victory... because GotY is really a battle!

It was really more of a "Oh, you wrote an entire essay about this so it would be kinda awkward to shoot it down especially since nobody really has another game they really care about" situation.

Meguro

Banned
I'm firmly of the believe that because Horizon is the first game in forever where Jeff was high on the story, that it will win Best Story.

oti

Banned
I'm firmly of the believe that because Horizon is the first game in forever where Jeff was high on the story, that it will win Best Story.

Who knows. If Far Cry goes places with its setting I'm sure they would 100% give it to Far Cry. You can easily persuade them if you do something US-centric like that.

Fantastapotamus

Nah, Jeff was also really high on Nier and everybody else loves that story too.
It still bums me out that that game did nothing for me, I really feel like I missed an amazing experience.

If Horizon doesn't at least Break Top 5 that would be a crime, that game is amazing and possibly the best game of the year

It would be bigger robbery then Bloodborne and Wolfenstein not getting top 10 nods

Ok so basically let me reiterate that I think Zelda is a top 10 game of the year. I love the game mechanically and think open worlds should take inspiration by it in a lot of ways.

However, it was disappointing to me as a Zelda game because my favorite parts of Zelda are 1) The towns, story and characters 2) The music and 3) The Dungeons. BotW falls flat compared to the others on all three of these points imo.

To sum it up in an anecdote, compare sailing to Windfall Island for the first time and hearing that music. You go onto land and walk around and see characters like WW Elvis, the teacher and her students, the scammy shop keeper, the girl who sneaks around at night. All of these characters look very distinct. In BotW I walk into Hateno or Kakariko and hear more piano plinking while the framerate stutters and I encounter a bunch of npcs that look the same. Yes they go to bed at night. No they don't have anything interesting to say.

And then the dungeons goes without saying. Four very samey interiors that are super short and don't give you a cool item. Then the bosses are kinda lame.

Sorry I had to cut this short. Have to run to lunch. But you get the idea.

Fantastapotamus

To sum it up in an anecdote, compare sailing to Windfall Island for the first time and hearing that music. You go onto land and walk around and see characters like WW Elvis, the teacher and her students, the scammy shop keeper, the girl who sneaks around at night. All of these characters look very distinct. In BotW I walk into Hateno or Kakariko and hear more piano plinking while the framerate stutters and I encounter a bunch of npcs that look the same. Yes they go to bed at night. No they don't have anything interesting to say.

Windfall Island is also the only town in WW worth remembering.

Like everyone in that world just says "You know about that Link guy in the past? He sure sucks. Have you seen the divine beast over there? It sure sucks. Do you know about our town champion? They are great!"

Rocket League is game of the generation and it ain't even close

I could get behind that.

Fantastapotamus

Like everyone in that world just says "You know about that Link guy in the past? He sure sucks. Have you seen the divine beast over there? It sure sucks. Do you know about our town champion? They are great!"

There is some guy on a bridge and if you climb on the railing of the bridge he stops you and tells you life is great and worth living.

Checkmate

Am I imagining things or wasn't Hidden Agenda on the Sony pre-show? Jeff and Alex both said it wasn't.

I just went back and watched, because I knew I hadn't seen Hidden Agenda after watching their coverage. Hidden Agenda was on the pre-show, but they lost connection right when the trailer was about to come up and got the video back up after the trailer finished.

There is some guy on a bridge and if you climb on the railing of the bridge he stops you and tells you life is great and worth living.

Checkmate

That guy is the best. Haven't encountered him myself unfortunately.

Edit: I'm going to try to beat the game this week since I'm close. Again I'm not calling the game anything less then great. It's just missing some of the things I love in Zelda. All of which could be easily addressed in a sequel.

Hindl

I think my feelings on BotW mirror Jeff's feelings on Mario Maker. It's an incredible game with flaws that is overwhelmed by how great the game is. And when I think of the flaws, I don't get bummed out thinking about what it's missing, I get excited thinking about how good a sequel where they iterate on the foundation could be

Fantastapotamus

I do think the dungeons are they only part of BotW that need improvement (besides stuff like inventory and voice acting)
I haven't played the game in a while but that's because I didn't have the time to play it without a timer ticking in my head, which isn't a great way to play it.
I still have only beaten one dungeon so far.

DamnBoxes

Ok so basically let me reiterate that I think Zelda is a top 10 game of the year. I love the game mechanically and think open worlds should take inspiration by it in a lot of ways.

However, it was disappointing to me as a Zelda game because my favorite parts of Zelda are 1) The towns, story and characters 2) The music and 3) The Dungeons. BotW falls flat compared to the others on all three of these points imo.

And then the dungeons goes without saying. Four very samey interiors that are super short and don't give you a cool item. Then the bosses are kinda lame.

It's the MGSV of Zelda games.

Wow, I didn't know so many had less than stellar thoughts on Zelda! Imho it's the most fun I have ever, ever had with an open world.

When I hear people talk about Far Cry 2 with reverence, Zelda is that game to me. The simple act of looking in the distance and finding something interesting to explore gives such purpose to the world other games and can only dream of.

I remember once in Assassin's Creed 2 I think, you climb up on Il Duomo in Florence and this lil pop-up tells you it's place in history or whatever the fuck. The thing is, why do I care? It's just a landscape for feather collecting and icon placement. There's no sense that I need to interact with this map beyond a cursory glance. Same with GTA IV and V to a certain extent.

More open world game designers NEED to ask why the open world is necessary, and what function it serves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom