• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just watched a 20min E3 demo of Yakuza 6 and it's looking great...

Pretty sure I'll be skipping Kiwami tho... I mean, it's not like I'm planning on playing 2 to 5 anyway and at this point I'm all in for a more modern game with cell phones and stuff like that.

6 is like the culmination of 1-5 though.

I suppose we'll be seeing Alex or Vinny driving when they get to Kiwami, poor Dan.
Or change how they record the series. Because it's not that Dan is incapable of becoming better at the combat (seems like he got the basics right when fighting Nishitani in jail for example), it's just that he forgets everything he's learnt by the next episode.

Or change how they record the series. Because it's not that Dan is incapable of becoming better at the combat (seems like he got the basics right when fighting Nishitani in jail for example), it's just that he forgets everything he's learnt by the next episode.
Yakuza Kiwami endurance run? Yes please!

Hindl

Yeah that's still a bit to go.

I dunno, I'll just say that A wasn't really impressive to me. Combat can be fun but as I've lined out you kind of have to explore the system more than the combat scenarios actually requires you to. Kinda like BotW in a way. Playing around with the different weapon combos and chip layout adds more variety, as well as the jump+heavy launcher and shoot+attack throw attack that you can do.

I do love the world though. It just fits the tone so well.

I'll just say get to B and see how you think. Personally I was rushing through A too because I wasn't super impressed by it too at the time.
Yeah I'll keep going through it because the world is interesting enough. How long is Route A roughly? I just
fought A2 for the first time and asked Pascal about her
. And how important are sidequests?

hamchan

If they really do all the Yakuza games then that's like 3-4 years worth of content right there. Metal Gear Scanlon was 2 and a bit years of content and some of those games are short.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I'll keep going through it because the world is interesting enough. How long is Route A roughly? I just
fought A2 for the first time and asked Pascal about her
. And how important are sidequests?

You're pretty much 2/3 through it. Maybe 3/4?

Also sidequests add a lot of flavour to the world, it's just that some are a real slog. :p General rule of thumb is if the story intrigues you, go through with it, if it doesn't, drop it.

I pretty much ignored sidequests during A, but decided to slow my roll for B and am glad that I did. There are some B exclusive sidequests that are... intriguing to say the least.

Joeku

Okay, I'm usually one to defend the boys when they don't speak up to correct each other, but yeah, woof, those early parts of the bombcast are rough. The Xbone and PS4 are totally not the same thing. First-party on both may be slower, but there are a ton of de facto exclusives flyin' around. Non-Nintendo Japan really only puts its best foot forward in one place.

I really hope they reconsider playing all of the Yakuza games. Even people who like this series... you gotta admit that is just way too much. I hope they take a long break after the current one and do another feature for a while.

I've rewatched the part of the E3 show where Johnny V was playing Adam Boyes talking about ruining his Jeep Grand Cherokee three times now and I keep laughing at it.

daveo42

Banned
they should take a break and bring back shenmue
#saveshenmue2er

I don't think I could handle any more forklift racing. The second game does have forklift racing right? That's the main storyline of the Shenmue series. A man making his way to the top of the Forklift Racing Circuit.

Antiwhippy

Jeff was about ben

But Abby was all Vinny. Her position is technically a production role. Vinny head of production Jeff head of editorial staff

I mean I'm sure he had input but wasn't jeff in charge of the whole hiring process? Or at least I thought he was when it was all going down.

I could be wrong. I dunno.

I'm sure they talked about it but I thought it was Vinny's call on production roles but I can't be sure where I heard that so I could be talking out my ass (does that make me a real GAFfer?)

Finally caught up with all the e3 night shows.

Xavier and his stories killed me.

Boyes, Lang, Jc combo is amazing. Great way to end every e3!

oy vey

what happened?
zK1oqXa.png

Megasoum

Banned
I've decided that I should probably finally give a real chance to an "infinity engine" style game. I've always wanted to play one of those but have always been kind of intimidated...

Where do you guys suggest I should start?

I know the BG games are super well regarded by fans but for a newcomers have they aged well enough?

Antiwhippy

I've decided that I should probably finally give a real chance to an "infinity engine" style game. I've always wanted to play one of those but have always been kind of intimidated...

I know the BG games are super well regarded by fans but for a newcomers have they aged well enough?

Madden 13.

Joeku

Why not do a modern version to see if it's for you before you go back into the ones that are going to be tougher to get into?

Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numa Numa, etc.?

Megasoum

Banned
Madden 13.

I was waiting for that one haha

Why not do a modern version to see if it's for you before you go back into the ones that are going to be tougher to get into?

Tyranny, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numa Numa, etc.?

Yeah... Pillars is probably the most likely candidate at this point. Sucks that it's still 60$ over 2 years post release.... I guess it's the Paradox effect

Joeku

I was waiting for that one haha

Yeah... Pillars is probably the most likely candidate at this point. Sucks that it's still 60$ over 2 years post release.... I guess it's the Paradox effect

I believe Tyranny just had a big QoL update that came with the expansion and the game was shorter as a whole; like, 30 hours instead of 100.

Hindl

You're pretty much 2/3 through it. Maybe 3/4?

Also sidequests add a lot of flavour to the world, it's just that some are a real slog. :p General rule of thumb is if the story intrigues you, go through with it, if it doesn't, drop it.

I pretty much ignored sidequests during A, but decided to slow my roll for B and am glad that I did. There are some B exclusive sidequests that are... intriguing to say the least.
Oh shit I didn't realize it was that short. I played a little more tonight
I killed the giant fishbot and now have to find 9S and other units
. If it's that short I'll probably at least finish Route A

Antiwhippy

Oh shit I didn't realize it was that short. I played a little more tonight
I killed the giant fishbot and now have to find 9S and other units
. If it's that short I'll probably at least finish Route A

I meant 2/3 through A but yeah, took me 33 hours to get through ABCDE.

faridmon

Okay, I'm usually one to defend the boys when they don't speak up to correct each other, but yeah, woof, those early parts of the bombcast are rough. The Xbone and PS4 are totally not the same thing. First-party on both may be slower, but there are a ton of de facto exclusives flyin' around. Non-Nintendo Japan really only puts its best foot forward in one place.

As much as I was happy to see Nintendo being given the credit for being good again, I was tired of Gary Whitta's constant fawining of Nintendo for 2 hours.

Gaming industry right now is in a healthy place. No need to demean 2 companies just to prove a point.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I heard A was around 18 hours, but I'm at that point at 5 hours in so A is much shorter than I thought

Eh I might be misremembering the length of the latter sections, but if you don't do sidequests it can be very short. I only did a little bit at A and finished it in 10. Try stopping to smell the roses at B though. I'm doing my "all sidequests" playthrough right now because I missed a few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom