• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is there some sort of list of the "essential" ones out there and where on the map they are located?

There is actually. Someone compiled them. I'll see if i can find it and pm you over.

The general rule of thumb though is if you're bored by something, move on. My first playthrough i didn't really do any sidequests at all.

While I appreciate the idea and you're not the first person to suggest that, I just honestly don't think I can abide skipping episodes. I'd be more likely to stop watching altogether.

But I keep hearing that new Twin Peaks is just bonkers as fuck and I want to see that. So I'm torn. Is there really nothing redeemable (or even necessary) about the last half of the season?

VNdaj8n.jpg

Time to listen to that theme song once again.

Joeku

Yeah, I've seen that chart. My fear, though, is that I'm only at episode 7 or 8. So I'm not even at the part where it's supposed to get bad and it's losing me a bit.

While I appreciate the idea and you're not the first person to suggest that, I just honestly don't think I can abide skipping episodes. I'd be more likely to stop watching altogether.

But I keep hearing that new Twin Peaks is just bonkers as fuck and I want to see that. So I'm torn. Is there really nothing redeemable (or even necessary) about the last half of the season?

Lynch has basically disavowed season 2. The post-reveal episodes might as well be non-canon, except of course for the finale.

"The pilot is the only thing I am particularly, extremely proud of. There were great moments along the way. The second season sucked."
-David Lynch

I think watching FWWM and like, 4 specific episodes of the series is a valid way to go into The Return. Also worth repeating that The Return is nothing like any of the series and is only tonally similar to FWWM at times.

Joeku

Listening to the bombcast now. I wonder how many fucking times they can mention "what about a AAA take on Battlegrounds?" before somebody tells them about the goddamn Division thing.

Lynch has basically disavowed season 2. The post-reveal episodes might as well be non-canon, except of course for the finale.

"The pilot is the only thing I am particularly, extremely proud of. There were great moments along the way. The second season sucked."
-David Lynch

I think watching FWWM and like, 4 specific episodes of the series is a valid way to go into The Return. Also worth repeating that The Return is nothing like any of the series and is only tonally similar to FWWM at times.

So are there specific ones in the "bad streak" in season 2 that should be watched? Or once whatever reveal happens in the next couple episodes, can I truly jump to the finale and not ever go "wait, why is this person doing that?"

Watch that but also watch the entire work of David Lynch to prepare because the new series resembles something like Eraserhead more than old Twin Peaks.

Agreed completely, how much you enjoy his non-Twin Peaks work will pretty much determine whether you should bother with Season 3 at all

So are there specific ones in the "bad streak" in season 2 that should be watched? Or once whatever reveal happens in the next couple episodes, can I truly jump to the finale and not ever go "wait, why is this person doing that?"

Those bad episodes are seriously so detached from the overall story. The only thing you'll miss out on is a new villain arc, of which you'll only see the conclusion. Thing is, that only happens because Lynch was trapped and had to conclude the dumb stuff he had nothing to do with. Also Nadine, but who cares.

Seriously, the new series might as well begin with a title scroll that says ALL THAT STUPID SHIT DOESN'T MATTER.

Antiwhippy

Speaking of Frrday the 13th, this thread made me think that it's a bad quick look, but it was fucking hilarious.

Never trusting this thread again.

Joeku

Those bad episodes are seriously so detached from the overall story. The only thing you'll miss out on is a new villain arc, of which you'll only see the conclusion. Thing is, that only happens because Lynch was trapped and had to conclude the dumb stuff he had nothing to do with. Also Nadine, but who cares.

Seriously, the new series might as well begin with a title scroll that says ALL THAT STUPID SHIT DOESN'T MATTER.

Alright, fuck it, I'm gonna skip episodes of a tv show. Slitting my wrists over here.

Hindl

Oh man random thread bump in Gaming reminded me of that Golf Story game. Really looking forward to that, I wanna learn more about it

Antiwhippy

In regards to PUBG hats or in-game costumes, I kinda want stuff that goes down the techwear/urban ninja style. The stuff I've seen look mostly like stone island stuff, but ACRONYM style shit would look pretty dope in that setting.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I was on the Fuck James Train from episode one. That dude looks and acts like a human jawline.

This is the most correct and true take that is possible.

James fucking ruins that show in Season 2. When he finally fucks off and leaves everything gets better.

Minor Season 3 Spoiler:
I wanted to DIE when he showed up in a Season 3 cameo. Thank god he hasn't come back in any important way.

I agree with the above posters though, Season 3 is NOTHING like the old Twin Peaks, which is honestly fine. It's very much a Lynchian thing now, and people should know that going in. If you like that style, this will be fun.

Watch that but also watch the entire work of David Lynch to prepare because the new series resembles something like Eraserhead more than old Twin Peaks.

Yup. If you like Twin Peaks 1 & 2 but aren't familiar with his other stuff, 3 is a huge risk. Being on board with stuff like Eraserhead is mega important to season 3.

It's kind of incredible how different season 3 is and I am glad for it. If it'd been trying to be like the old show it would have been a mess. So much of the original show's weird tone came from the era.

Showtime has funded an 18 hour long film and given Lynch utter and complete creative freedom and control and it shows constantly and it is utterly glorious. Episode 8 that aired on Sunday kind of felt like a breakthrough moment in TV.

BearPawB

Banned

Mechanically they are almost all uninteresting, which is why I didn't do them. It's just a general sense of them all and the way they reinforce the big ideas in the game that I'm loving.

I just watched all of twin peaks in the last month or so.
The drop in quality in Season 2 is not as much as I was lead to believe.

There are certain character arcs that are snoozefests. But also some great, hilarious moments. And the last few episodes are entirely necessary to understand the current series.

Just skip any scenes with James or Nadine

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
And the last few episodes are entirely necessary to understand the current series.

Adding onto this. You also NEED to see the Fire Walk With Me movie. There is A LOT of characters and events in that movie are being directly referenced in Season 3 either by name or as shown clips. The context will be key to enjoying the new Season.

Zornack

Thing about Season 3 is if you watch the old stuff you'll be like "oh yeah they said that word before" but you'll still have no fucking clue whats going on.

BearPawB

Banned
Thing about Season 3 is if you watch the old stuff you'll be like "oh yeah they said that word before" but you'll still have no fucking clue whats going on.

I don't feel lost in season 3 at all?

It has been very very weird. But not...confusing in any real way.
This last episode was nuts, but I think I could easily explain what happened (I just might sound insane doing it)

Has anyone kept up with Starbound? Kinda interested in grabbing it on Steam

Played it when it first came out in EA and liked it a lot. Tried it after release and was kind of overwhelmed by everything they added. It is a very cool game, but I'm not sure it is the same game as the one I first played. I very much recommended playing it with at least one other person if you can!

Zornack

I don't feel lost in season 3 at all?

It has been very very weird. But not...confusing in any real way.
This last episode was nuts, but I think I could easily explain what happened (I just might sound insane doing it)

I haven't watched since Episode 5 because I'm a millennial who likes to binge watch.

But what about all that shit
with coop leaving the black lodge?
It makes contextual sense having seen the past stuff but I still have no idea of 90% of what was going on there.

Ashby

Season 3 is a David Lynch wankfest. If you like Lynch, you'll like it.
And if you like Twin Peaks results may vary. I'm enjoying it for what it is but also bummed it's more of a culmination of everything David Lynch than a Twin Peaks follow-up.

As someone who don't watch a lot of lynch stuff what is it about 3 that makes it more Lynchy than Twin Peaks OG?
Normal people were able to enjoy seasons 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom