• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT29| Uhhhhh I have a child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashby

19467867_1886278205032788_5804337396886137660_o.jpg

This is why I fall asleep listening to podcasts.

Rodelero

Sea Of Thieves is a great idea on paper that is surely going to bomb. I think they have misjudged the amount of Xbox One owners who will game in groups of friends and buy games together.

To the contrary I think many people game with a small group of friends that they will typically know well or know in real life. Some of the biggest games this generation (Destiny, The Division, Ghost Recon, and, upcoming, Anthem) are designed for that exact kind of thing. Even if that wasn't the case, it's not like you can't go into Sea of Thieves on your own, either playing alone or meeting new people. The Xbox One has that handy LFG feature too to help you do exactly that. I went in alone for the most recent playtest and ended up with three new people on my friends list after a successful and enjoyable session.

Sea of Thieves does still have a long way to go if it is to find real success when it launches next year. As the Giant Bomb team allude, huge chunks of the game are unknown quantities right now, which is perhaps a little odd with under a year to go before release. Much of the core is there but practically all of the structure is absent.

The notion that it is going to struggle because it's a co-op game however is patently absurd. I wonder if it derives from bitterness over Rare not making a single player sequel to one of their old IPs ;)

To the contrary I think many people game with a small group of friends that they will typically know well or know in real life. Some of the biggest games this generation (Destiny, The Division, Ghost Recon, and, upcoming, Anthem) are designed for that exact kind of thing. Even if that wasn't the case, it's not like you can't go into Sea of Thieves on your own, either playing alone or meeting new people. The Xbox One has that handy LFG feature too to help you do exactly that. I went in alone for the most recent playtest and ended up with three new people on my friends list after a successful and enjoyable session.

Sea of Thieves does still have a long way to go if it is to find real success when it launches next year. As the Giant Bomb team allude, huge chunks of the game are unknown quantities right now, which is perhaps a little odd with under a year to go before release. Much of the core is there but practically all of the structure is absent.

The notion that it is going to struggle because it's a co-op game however is patently absurd. I wonder if it derives from bitterness over Rare not making a single player sequel to one of their old IPs ;)

Destiny, The Division and Wildlands all have compelling single-player content that players can get to grips with, games that are enhanced by group play, rather than relying on it. So far Sea Of Thieves seems to be strictly a co-op thing.

I played through the first two on my own with matchmade players for strikes and main missions and didn't have to do voice chat with a single person. Also shooting things in the head a lot is much less complicated for solo players going into PUGs than finding treasure and activating different parts of a boat and communicating navigation etc.

Destiny devs said less than 50% of people who bought it went on to play a raid and I'm sure the trophy data shows even less people completed one, which is basically the only thing that needs voice chat and co-ordination in a way akin to what I've seen of Sea Of Thieves so far.

I just can't see it catching on and it has nothing to do with bitterness.

oti

Banned

I expect games media to play it for a week, Brad saying "I feel a strange obligation to play more of it" and the general public to move on almost immediately.

Hasney

I expect games media to play it for a week, Brad saying "I feel a strange obligation to play more of it" and the general public to move on almost immediately.

I think XB1/Windows Store will kill it, but actually playing it is really fun. It needs a point, but these 4 player games that aren't actually that good on your own are doing real good.

Hope it finds an audience and Rare just haven't showed the progression or whatever. It is really fun.

Also didn't look like Brad had a good team, but Austin's story on Waypoint and Brandon Jones on Easy Allies had an absolute blast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6jgV60SkQ8&t=5s

oti

Banned
Sea of Thieves def looks like a major bomba.
I also think comparing SoT to Destiny is hilarious. One is a AAAA game, the other a "remember Rare?" project that wouldn't get this much attention if Xbox had more exclusive games (and didn't cancel Scalebound). It looks like a Steam survival game with a bigger budget.

I think XB1/Windows Store will kill it, but actually playing it is really fun. It needs a point, but these 4 player games that aren't actually that good on your own are doing real good.

Hope it finds an audience and Rare just haven't showed the progression or whatever. It is really fun.

Also didn't look like Brad had a good team, but Austin's story on Waypoint and Brandon Jones on Easy Allies had an absolute blast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6jgV60SkQ8&t=5s

#rememberEvolve?

Having a good E3 demo is one thing. Asking people to pay 60 bucks for something that seems barebones is a whole different story. That's why I said I expect games media to play it for a week.

Hasney

I also think comparing SoT to Destiny is hilarious. One is a AAAA game, the other a "remember Rare?" project that wouldn't get this much attention if Xbox had more exclusive games (and didn't cancel Scalebound). It looks like a Steam survival game with a bigger budget.

#rememberEvolve?

Having a good E3 demo is one thing. Asking people to pay 60 bucks for something that seems barebones is a while different story. That's why I said I expect games media to play it for a week

Well if Rust can do 5.5 million....

It's not 60 bucks anyway. It's been $40 CAD on amazon.ca since it went up last year.

Zaph

Yup, I really want to try VR Polybius

It was a pretty obvious offhand/jokey comment to describe grouping up with 3 friends and going raiding.

oti

Banned
Yup, I really want to try VR Polybius

It was a pretty obvious offhand/jokey comment to describe grouping up with 3 friends and going raiding.

I get that. But I don't see how "look at Destiny and its multiplayer success" is applicable to SoT. Destiny was a big success because of course it was. And multiplayer coop games are nothing new.

Jintor

yeah so my graphics card is boned

what's a graphics card i should get

i had a radeon r9 200 series and it was okay.

honestly my main problem (aside from the blow to my finances) is probably gonna be fitting it in the case

honestly my main problem (aside from the blow to my finances) is probably gonna be fitting it in the case

I upgraded to it from a 290x, love it.

Hasney

You need a small one? They do mini versions of the 1070 and 1080 now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Budget?

I mean I'm running a 960 now and it's fine for how cheap it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom