• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Strax

Guys i'm watching The Shining

I don't think I like Kubrick movies, i'm bored out of my mind, just like I was when I watched 2001... And i'm really into space stuff and horror movies, that makes it even weirder

The Shining is one of my fav. movies, top 3 stuff, so I can't understand being bored by it. I get people not liking it but I've never heard people thinking it's boring before. I've never viewed The Shining as horror, to me it's more like a thriller with 1-2 horror scenes/moments. 2001 on the other hand might be the most boring 'mainstream' film ever made unless you're really into filmmaking.

they say the best wrestling characters are just the people who portray them turned up to eleven, so I think it goes without saying that Patrick far and away had the best gimmick at the Rumble

DI01MSsUQAA1jA0.jpg:large

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Guys, I will ruin The Shining. When they're outside in the bitter winter cold, no one's breath can be seen. They're all androids.

Fevaweva

Like all of Kubrick's adaptations, he butcher's the source material for the worse. The Shining, the novel, is at least a million times better than the film.

Like all of Kubrick's adaptations, he butcher's the source material for the worse. The Shining, the novel, is at least a million times better than the film.

They both stand by their own merits, tho. If I watch the movie its not because I want to see an adaptation of the book, and if I read the book its not because I want to read the source material of the movie.

Fevaweva

They both stand by their own merits, tho. If I watch the movie its not because I want to see an adaptation of the book, and if I read the book its not because I want to read the source material of the movie.
There is 'adaptation' and there is casting Jack Nicholson as a character whose descent into madness is supposed to be a shock.

Strax

Given that The Shining is genarally thought of as one of best movies ever made I think most people are willing let that slide the things he changed. I wish more film adaptations would cut out or change things in novels that don't work, are too long or unnecessary. To Kill a Mockingbird and LOTR would've been terrible movies without all the changes and cuts made.

BTA

781QCfH.png

I'm all set.

Ah, I didn't consider donuts. I just bought a cherry pie and some coffee (well, "caffe macchiato") gelato to have with it.

That combined with the garbage I've already eaten today means it's probably best that I didn't consider buying some mini donuts or something.

I have not read the book but The Shining is a fucking brilliant film regardless of how true it is to the novel. The Godfather's not true to the novel either, does that make it bad by default?

Fuck reverence to source material tbh, it super rarely works out. Be creative, do your own thing with it. Being overly slavish to material created in another medium is a hindrance way more often than a help.

Zaph

Fuck reverence to source material tbh, it super rarely works out. Be creative, do your own thing with it. Being overly slavish to material created in another medium is a hindrance way more often than a help.

Yup. If the source material was always held sacred, we wouldn't have the second best film of all time - Starship Troopers

Staying true to The Hobbit book would have made a pretty boring fucking movie. I don't blame Jackson for trying to expand on what reads like a summary of a longer story. I do blame him for a lot of the shit in those movies though.

Still not as bad as sexy Shelob though.

bomma_man

I have not read the book but The Shining is a fucking brilliant film regardless of how true it is to the novel. The Godfather's not true to the novel either, does that make it bad by default?

Yup. If the source material was always held sacred, we wouldn't have the second best film of all time - Starship Troopers

Finally, good opinions in this thread

Top Bottom