• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

The further I get from the third season of Twin Peaks, the more I appreciate it. All the analysis, theories, and context I've read and heard have really elevated it from a bizarre, captivating enigma to a truly remarkable achievement in television. Lynch and Frost didn't take the easy path in any way, shape, or form and the show was better for it.

Now how about a Film & 40s: The Return?

TraBuch

Banned
Why is Taco Bell always the fast food place to get these new console giveaways? Fuck Taco Bell. Jesus. Do a $5 meal with a chance to win an XboneX at Wendy's and I might actually go out and get something.

The further I get from the third season of Twin Peaks, the more I appreciate it. All the analysis, theories, and context I've read and heard have really elevated it from a bizarre, captivating enigma to a truly remarkable achievement in television. Lynch and Frost didn't take the easy path in any way, shape, or form and the show was better for it.

I wish.

QxWdX6z.jpg

After show is solid, I just wish that the discord hit rate was higher. I think it might help to tell callers at the top that they can go into an empty discord channel and test their mic/headset and things by talking and seeing if their icon lights up?

Maybe an instructions/tips page at giantbomb.com/TurnUp or something

Hindl

Why is Taco Bell always the fast food place to get these new console giveaways? Fuck Taco Bell. Jesus. Do a $5 meal with a chance to win an XboneX at Wendy's and I might actually go out and get something.
Because Taco Bell went all in on the gaming marketing in the 00s and hit the jackpot. And now they're synonymous with gaming, especially with the exclusive Mountain Dew flavor and Doritos tacos

What is the story on The Ricker, anyway? Is he someone playing a character?

I remember listening to it when it actually happened and I kept thinking, "This can't be real. But maybe it is?"

Still don't know.

it's definitely my favorite season, my favorite thing lynch has ever done, and probably my favorite season of television of all time. just a staggering work of art

it's definitely my favorite season, my favorite thing lynch has ever done, and probably my favorite season of television of all time. just a staggering work of art

I've restrained myself from saying such, but I do think I agree. I feel like years from now I'll still be contemplating aspects of the season and their meaning. I love it.

If Twin Peaks fans haven't read (or listened to the exceptional audiobook of) The Secret History of Twin Peaks, you owe it to yourself to do so. It's really fascinating. It doesn't explain anything or remove any mystery from The Return, just sort of provides historical context for the town and proposes additional paranormal facets to the lore.

Ashby

What is the story on The Ricker, anyway? Is he someone playing a character?

I remember listening to it when it actually happened and I kept thinking, "This can't be real. But maybe it is?"

Still don't know.

Jeff's housemate who unfortunately passed away a few years back.

I hope that after this week (or next week) most of the crew has Destiny 2 out of their system and they relegate Brad to the Destiny 2 "minute" on the podcast. Reverse the roles and let Jason talk about a game for longer and tone down the D2 talk... but that's just my opinion.

BTA

Hmm...

"That guy would be dead, he got shot!"
"Nobody is that strong."
"Why is there a talking teapot?"

Perhaps you're right.

I loooove the idea that like 10+ years from now somebody will endeavor to watch all of Twin Peaks without knowing much about it, going straight from season 2 to 3.

I mean I basically did that, sorta. I think I read Wikipedia summaries forever ago but (for once in my life) entirely forgot about anything I learned beyond the following things:

BOB and Leland (though I actually did forget this until I was buying the diary book at the start of watching season 2 and the summary mentioned BOB and that bit came back to me), knowing he would get stuck in the lodge, and thanks to Twitter that there was a version of Cooper wearing a green suit (though I assumed that would be Bad Coop).

Are they serious about a Film & 40s: The Room? Because that would be awesome.

While that movie on the surface would seem fantastic... I worry that with them constantly talking that they'll miss the subtle moments in that movie like
Johnny's random chuckles, background chatter, story beats that lead to nowhere
so I actually would think it's a BAD way to see that movie for the first time.

I am so, so close to buying Mario + Rabbids. Like right now. I just can't decide. I only go digital on Switch so this is a no-way-to-ever-get-it-back $60.

How can I decide? I feel like it came out strong, and now that the hype has cooled I'm reading less excited opinions about it.

BTA

I've restrained myself from saying such, but I do think I agree. I feel like years from now I'll still be contemplating aspects of the season and their meaning. I love it.

If Twin Peaks fans haven't read (or listened to the exceptional audiobook of) The Secret History of Twin Peaks, you owe it to yourself to do so. It's really fascinating. It doesn't explain anything or remove any mystery from The Return, just sort of provides historical context for the town and proposes additional paranormal facets to the lore.

Ehh... I sorta agree, but the 1/2 to 2/3 that is
UFOs forever
went on way way too long without any real payoff. And most of the retcons/changes/whatever don't really have any payoff in The Return (though maybe they will in the Final Dossier) so even that, while amusing to read, felt kinda weird.

Interesting that they're going with "the third season" for the bluray set when they seemed to be specifically avoiding that terminology with The Return.

(It might also be damn near a decade since I've bought a TV season on dvd/bd. Funny how fast things change.)

I am so, so close to buying Mario + Rabbids. Like right now. I just can't decide. I only go digital on Switch so this is a no-way-to-ever-get-it-back $60.

How can I decide? I feel like it came out strong, and now that the hype has cooled I'm reading less excited opinions about it.

I feel like it sort of wanes a bit and I'm not super far in. Brad is right in that it's best played in small doses, for me at least. It's sort of like a mobile game in that regard, just w/o all of the f2p bullshit.

I'm only in chapter 2 (getting near the end of it) but I highly recommend it if you enjoy turn based strategy games.

BTA

Interesting that they're going with "the third season" for the bluray set when they seemed to be specifically avoiding that terminology with The Return.

(It might also be damn near a decade since I've bought a TV season on dvd/bd. Funny how fast things change.)

Oh, that's really weird, huh,

I've been very slowly playing it every few nights but enjoying it a lot; beat World 3 last night.

I think there are some frustrating bits in worlds 2 and 3 but I don't think they're bad/lows; it's just maybe not entirely clear how you should start mixing up your team or change tactics (and respeccing if you really need to change what you can do) if you're having trouble.

pizzacat

Banned
Instead of watching a jokey bad movie watch a good movie with the word room in it

images

Don't even record yourselves watching it

Just watch it

I mean I basically did that, sorta. I think I read Wikipedia summaries forever ago but (for once in my life) entirely forgot about anything I learned beyond the following things:

BOB and Leland (though I actually did forget this until I was buying the diary book at the start of watching season 2 and the summary mentioned BOB and that bit came back to me), knowing he would get stuck in the lodge, and thanks to Twitter that there was a version of Cooper wearing a green suit (though I assumed that would be Bad Coop).
I more mean somebody who doesn't know there was 25 years between season 2 and 3. That would be quite a trip.
Ehh... I sorta agree, but the 1/2 to 2/3 that is
UFOs forever
went on way way too long without any real payoff. And most of the retcons/changes/whatever don't really have any payoff in The Return (though maybe they will in the Final Dossier) so even that, while amusing to read, felt kinda weird.
I didn't find it to be a companion piece to The Return at all, but rather it's own separate Twin Peaks piece of fiction. I never expected payoff, per se. I read a lot of nonfiction, so I got in sync with Secret History's brand of fictional nonfiction.

lol the thing ain't even a year old and it's already got two potential "greatest of all time" contenders

BOTW is a really good game... but it's not even the best Zelda.

Mario / Rabbids is great so far.

Mario Odyssey looks like it will be great too but let's not get overhyped by a few trailers now m8.

I want more than 3 games in 12 months, regardless of how good those 3 games are.

Are they serious about a Film & 40s: The Room? Because that would be awesome.
will arby complain about the scenes
I hope that after this week (or next week) most of the crew has Destiny 2 out of their system and they relegate Brad to the Destiny 2 "minute" on the podcast. Reverse the roles and let Jason talk about a game for longer and tone down the D2 talk... but that's just my opinion.
Nope
The raid talk is gonna be 👌👌🔥🔥

I loooove the idea that like 10+ years from now somebody will endeavor to watch all of Twin Peaks without knowing much about it, going straight from season 2 to 3.

Season 1: Oh this is kinda a cool, weird mystery show. I'm totally excited to see how all of this plays out!....oh no who did that! I'm putting in the second season now!

Season 2: I am so into this show and the characters are so great. This show is definitely getting real weird though.....wait what!! that's how it ends!? Well hopefully the movie can solve this.

FWWM: Oh it is nice to see dale coop....wait what is happeni..wait..is that David Bowie??.....Kiefer Sutherland??....huh.....woah...did she really just....woah....WOAH....WOAH!!!!!....well that was a really dark movie...didn't help solve the cliffhanger though...I guess that is why they made a season 3!

Season 3: There we go! finally can find out what happened to....wait what was.....huh...wait who is dougie....what is even happening....
Epidode 8:
giphy.gif

latest

tenor.gif

By the end of the season:
post-12466-I-don-t-know-what-I-expected-g-gIlY.gif

....................................is there a season four???

Hindl

BOTW is a really good game... but it's not even the best Zelda.

Mario / Rabbids is great so far.

Mario Odyssey looks like it will be great too but let's not get overhyped by a few trailers now m8.

I want more than 3 games in 12 months, regardless of how good those 3 games are.
Well this is all subjective, but I'd say 3 great games you can't get anywhere else in the first 9 months is really good for a console. And there's also stuff like Splatoon 2 and Puyo Puyo coming over. I don't know what you expected? The Switch's first year has been better than pretty much every console going back to the Dreamcast. And it's not like we didn't roughly know what the Switch's first year was going to be before it launched.

Top Bottom