• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Night in the Woods is one of the games I need to play before GOTY time. I'm relieved to hear this Life is Strange prequel is good, but im waiting for all episodes before starting.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not yet, it's on my list. I'm not super into the aesthetics but the writing seems pretty good so I'll get around to it.

If you're into young people melancholy and angst i think you would love it.

But yeah, I've been hankering to rewatch the beast LiS playthrough again before jumping into BtS.

The 8 week wait does suck though compared to the first.

BTA

Ugh goddammit. I bought a tropical fruit mix and I took a bite out of a sliced mango without paying attention. I get this fruit mix all the time and they never put fucking mangoes in this and now they suddenly have mangoes in this. I almost threw up it's so disgusting. First fucking raspberry jam instead of strawberry and now I'm getting mangoes in my goddamn tropical fruit mix.

What is wrong with this world? Mangoes are terrible. Raspberry jam is terrible. Stop tricking me into eating this shit, world.

Raspberries and mangoes are probably my favorite fruits! What fruit do you even like??

Not yet, it's on my list. I'm not super into the aesthetics but the writing seems pretty good so I'll get around to it.

NitW has pretty fantastic writing. I'd only compare it to LiS in terms of having a relatively young main cast (19-20ish in this case); I'd say it's much more sincere in how it portrays their lives than LiS, if only because it's written by Americans and is about a town very much like the one they're familiar with, but it's also not doing any Fellow Teens stuff as well.

I adore what I've played of Divinity: Original Sin but I haven't even finished the first town. And I still need to play the rest of Blood & Wine. And finish my vanilla XCOM 2 game. I'm excited to play Divinity: OS 2 sometime next year is what I'm saying.

I thought the last act of Night in the Woods completely ruined what was otherwise a powerful game and depiction of depression and anhedonia, going off the rails like no other game or film I've experienced, but not many people seem to share that view so I'll revisit it one day.

Ill say about Night In the Woods what Ive said before

Its a mediocre story that uses anthropomorphic animals as its gimmick, which people overrate.

So Vinny always does his Extra Life streams solo nowadays, and we know Alex is doing Rock Band again... but I just got really excited by the idea of a 24-hour Dan and Abby (+guests) Extra Life stream and will be sad when it doesn't actually happen.

I love the solo Extra Life stuff but someone has to carry on the Drew and Alexis tradition with a group studio stream. Maybe Ben will be able to wrangle up some people in the SF studio.

Anthropomorphic Animals are OVERRATED

*sips scalding hot tea*

This is a good post

BTA

Ill say about Night In the Woods what Ive said before

Its a mediocre story that uses anthropomorphic animals as its gimmick, which people overrate.

I like the aesthetic but that was not a significant draw for me nor is it really a gimmick given that the characters do not acknowledge it.

also I think the story is very good

I thought the last act of Night in the Woods completely ruined what was otherwise a powerful game and depiction of depression and anhedonia, going off the rails like no other game or film I've experienced, but not many people seem to share that view so I'll revisit it one day.

I can understand that feeling (and I don't think you're actually alone in feeling that) but I don't think anything about the ending goes against that powerful depiction at all. If anything it wasn't till near the end that we hear about Mae's disassociation in detail (which was an incredibly powerful scene to me), and I don't think we really know that she's queer till the epilogue either. I firmly believe that the Black Goat was either a delusion of the elders to begin with or, if it's real, just taking advantage of her very real mental illness and not causing it. Death of the author and all that but I've been following its creators on Twitter for a while and they're not exactly into the idea of erasing mental illness.

I did feel some of the ending was a little abrupt but a least some of that's intentional (there's definitely a feeling of "what the fuck just happened" among the main characters after). The epilogue completely satisfied me and contained some of my favorite conversations in the game as well so it worked well for me in the end.

I like the aesthetic but that was not a significant draw for me nor is it really a gimmick given that the characters do not acknowledge it.

Thats why its bad.

Because if the game used human characters nobody would care about it. So they use animals so people go "LOOK KITTY". Its a bad story in a cutesy shell.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

also I think the story is very good

I can understand that feeling (and I don't think you're actually alone in feeling that) but I don't think anything about the ending goes against that powerful depiction at all. If anything it wasn't till near the end that we hear about Mae's disassociation in detail (which was an incredibly powerful scene to me), and I don't think we really know that she's queer till the epilogue either. I firmly believe that the Black Goat was either a delusion of the elders to begin with or, if it's real, just taking advantage of her very real mental illness and not causing it. Death of the author and all that but I've been following its creators on Twitter for a while and they're not exactly into the idea of erasing mental illness.

I did feel some of the ending was a little abrupt but a least some of that's intentional (there's definitely a feeling of "what the fuck just happened" among the main characters after). The epilogue completely satisfied me and contained some of my favorite conversations in the game as well so it worked well for me in the end.

I mean the black goat is pretty much a metaphor of, well, trumpism. Fear of change, isolation, yaddee yadda, It's meant to tie into Mei's own sheltered life and stunted growth.

TraBuch

Banned
I hope Drew shows up for Extra Life, and then Mary shows up for Drew's Extra Life like she usually does. I need more material for my Drew/Mary fanfic, having a bit of writer's block.

BTA

Thats why its bad.

Because if the game used human characters nobody would care about it. So they use animals so people go "LOOK KITTY". Its a bad story in a cutesy shell.

Or it might be that the artist/cocreator might have a distinct art style that they chose to use, which is what actually happened. It's... not exactly cutesy either? This is a really cynical take that doesn't make any sense when you consider the game or its developers.

also it's a good story shush

kvothe

Alex: I have the worst memory ever. It's TERRIBLE.

Alex: No, I'm pretty sure I remember this certain unimportant thing and I'll assert my assuredness readily.

Alex is proven wrong.

Alex shrugs.

And the cycle continues.

robotrock

Banned
everyone keeps saying that so i'm really excited

it might be my GOTY eventho Zelda is my greatest game of all time
hehe get it

What's doing it for you? I think I remember you mentioning the set pieces.

What did you think of those two brothers?

Top Bottom