• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

I played through Yakuza 1 last year and did not enjoy it so that all lines up, gameplay and graphics improvements not withstanding.
The narrative just isn't good! Kiryu is a boring protagonist in 1!

Yeah I mean he's kind of boring in most of 0 as well tbh (his story peaks at the end of chapter 1), but he shines in the substories because he's such a good straight man, and there's Majima to contrast him with and take some of the load off him. But he's just a walking cliche in Kiwami.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Og nier still gets way too much of a bad rep even from people who love automata. It's fine. The gameplay is kinda serviceable and the character interactions carry the moment to moment in a way that Automata doesn't even do, but both games are going for entirely different things in that regard.

Unlocking episode 1 of SMS was a good call. I think unlocking the Prologue episode of TEC would serve them doubly well.

I think it was a terrible idea and the YouTube comments make it clear. A Blue Bombin' video is a much better choice. One where they aren't blaming the game for being bad when it's their fault.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think it was a terrible idea and the YouTube comments make it clear. A Blue Bombin' video is a much better choice. One where they aren't blaming the game for being bad when it's their fault.

According to Youtube comments GB should just shut down now and probably erase the last
6 years of content too.

Also, putting up a 2 hour podcast where 3 people talk about random things while one guy plays a game that is acknowledged maybe twice isn't that great if you don't already like the guys involved.

(Also it seems like a lot of youthtubers have a favourite new hobby: comparing everything to that one Cuphead video)

Hindl

Destiny made the lost, despite it being a mess.
Destiny 2 will absolutely make the list. Brad loves it. Jeff and Abby play it. Dan wanted to check it out as well I think. But not #1. That's just crazy.
Destiny made the list because it was one of the weakest years for games in the last decade. Destiny 2 could make the list but I'm not using destiny 1 as justification why

Also here's the real question. Does a Sonic game make the top 10 in 2017?

LiK

If Brad and Jeff fall in love with it and manages to get the other guys to check out the raid and they enjoy it, I can see it on the list. I believe in Brad.

Fantastapotamus

Destiny 2 won't make the list, Brad will just say "But it's kinda just more Destiny, you know?" like he always does
when is he is arguing against a game

Also here's the real question. Does a Sonic game make the top 10 in 2017?

Don't be crazy.
Mania wasn't more than "Yeah, this is well made I guess" for any of them.

Antiwhippy

But then they will use the "It's just more X" that they used to get splatoon 2 off the top 10 to get destiny 2 off the top 10.

It'll be a murder suicide pact.

Fantastapotamus

I feel like the only Top 10 hardlocks so far are Zelda, PUBG (if it counts) and probably Nier?
There's obviously a lot still coming out, especially Destiny, Mario, Wolfenstein and Wardor.
Other games I can see are Rabbids and and Alex is probably going to push Yakuza 0 on the list? Maybe if more of them play Divinity 2 it has a shot too.

Also Torment Tides of Numenera, Prey and Planescape Enhanced Edition will be way up there as well, I mean, obviously right? Yeah, for sure.

You think it'll be cut? It's a practical shoo in for the early access game of the year.

I dunno, have you seen Beast Battle Simulator?

Don't be crazy.
Mania wasn't more than "Yeah, this is well made I guess" for any of them.

Ben, Dan and maybe Alex seemed a little more into it than that during the PAX Panel but you're right I don't see it making their top 10. I totally wouldn't be surprised if it made it in at number 10 or something, though.

Fantastapotamus

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Shush you. I still have hope

.....brad really liked it OS 1.....

Ben, Dan and maybe Alex seemed a little more into it than that during the PAX Panel but you're right I don't see it making their top 10. I totally wouldn't be surprised if it made it in at number 10 or something, though.

I, on the other hand, wouldn't be surprised if it isn't even mentioned once during the GotY talk.

Tunoku

Nier is so fucking good. I can't believe Persona 5 isn't my frontrunner for GOTY, but that's how things stand right now.

Harpuia

nightmare scenario list:
1) Destiny 2
2) Horizon
3) Wolfenstein II (this hasn't even come out yet jeez)
4) Nidhog II
5) Nier Automata (after Jeff looks up the Wikipedia article and spoils the endings)
6) Night in the Woods
7) Breath of the Wild (After brad and Jeff argue about how boring it eventually got)
8) Mario Odyssey (It's just more mario)
9) Sonic Mania
10) Yakuza 0

Honorable mention to persona 5 and PUBG.

You think it'll be cut? It's a practical shoo in for the early access game of the year.

I can't think of ten other Early Access Game of the Years. Like, I can't fill the list at all.

So they'll have to cut that category, just like the VR one. (Although I don't remember if there was a VR one, it's totally in the same boat.)

Good luck next year PUB.
I'll be surprised if anyone at GB mentions it once during GotY 2018; in any year, last year's games might as well not exist.

oti

Banned
Brad: "Splatoon 2 is just more of the same. It doesn't deserve to be on this list."

Also Brad: "Destiny 2 is more of the same. And the same is excellent. It absolutely has to be on this list."

Antiwhippy

That's like way higher than I expect nier to be, so I'm like, yeah sure let's do it.

Also watching the destiny 2 quick look.

Joss Whedon has a lot to answer for doesn't he.

BTA

I like Yakuza 1 and original Nier and I've played them both for the first time within the past year (but I have an extremely high tolerance for older games and jank).

Brad: "Splatoon 2 is just more of the same. It doesn't deserve to me on this list."

Also Brad: "Destiny 2 is more of the same. And the same is excellent. It absolutely has to be on this list."

Weird of you to mess up the two names like that

Dan Ryckert in 4K. In all honesty, I played the shit out of L.A Noire so I won't be getting this release but good for those that haven't.

For a while I used to just put that game and leave it on the main menu while I do other stuff because of that sweet jazz.

Top Bottom