• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

oti

Banned
I haven't watched any of it yet but it seems like it's more like a jokey segment than actually playing the game and reacting naturally to what is going on?
Here's what needs to happen. Rorie and or Jason become the regular guest of this feature. Jason for actually paying attention and Rorie for just reading support mail. Then, each week Ben needs to update the others on his progress of Kingdom Hearts in the Bombcast. I want to see him trying to explain the absolute nonsense that is Kingdom Hearts while the others try to follow him. That's what this series should be about in my opinion. Not this stupid gimmick and Ben's bad running jokes.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think Ben has a decent sense of humor, he's growing on me, but when he tries hard to be funny it doesn't work.

Yeah, he tends to overdo certain bits (like the Scottish accent one).
I also don't really care for the "let's pretend for an entire episode that this is only a test" stuff in KH. It's a good bit once, repeating it over and over again....is not.
He's still fairly new tho, he just needs to find his groove.

I don't care for Dota so that's not on him. I do believe though that Jeff could make even Dota entertaining. But Ben isn't Jeff.

Kingdom Hearts I do like. But Ben's ideas ruin the potential of this feature. If bad jokes and lame gimmicks is what Ben wants to add to GB, I'm out.

Even without Dota, that comedy podcast and Kingdom Heartache I feel pretty good about the current status of GB though. I just wish Ben would stop making bad jokes all the time.

I think it's fine if Ben wants to try his idea for a KH feature, it might have worked. You only really know after trying it. I'd rather have them try different things that might fail (*cough* B-Game*cough*) than not try anything new at all. I do hope however that if he wants to keep playing KH he eventually realizes that it's not working as it is and maybe tries to course correct. It wouldn't be too late now.

Here's what needs to happen. Rorie and or Jason become the regular guest of this feature. Jason for actually paying attention and Rorie for just reading support mail. Then, each week Ben needs to update the others on his progress of Kingdom Hearts in the Bombcast. I want to see him trying to explain the absolute nonsense that is Kingdom Hearts while the others try to follow him. That's what this series should be about in my opinion. Not this stupid gimmick and Ben's bad running jokes.

Yeah, Rorie would be perfect

TraBuch

Banned
Hey Ben, instead of being boring and playing DOTA with no gimmicks as a feature, how about you and Brad play all the other MOBAs out there and after you play a match or two, you look at what it does poorly and what it does well. Maybe compare it to DOTA and see how it measures up in various categories.

Ashby

Hey Ben, instead of being boring and playing DOTA with no gimmicks as a feature, how about you and Brad play all the other MOBAs out there and after you play a match or two, you look at what it does poorly and what it does well. Maybe compare it to DOTA and see how it measures up in various categories.

I was fully convinced this was going to segue into telling them to play TLOU multiplayer by the end of it.

TraBuch

Banned
And then you can play some four on four east vs west TLoU multiplayer and compare that to other four on four TLoU multiplayers.

oti

Banned
Yeah, he tends to overdo certain bits (like the Scottish accent one).
I also don't really care for the "let's pretend for an entire episode that this is only a test" stuff in KH. It's a good bit once, repeating it over and over again....is not.
He's still fairly new tho, he just needs to find his groove.

I think it's fine if Ben wants to try his idea for a KH feature, it might have worked. You only really know after trying it. I'd rather have them try different things that might fail (*cough* B-Game*cough*) than not try anything new at all. I do hope however that if he wants to keep playing KH he eventually realizes that it's not working as it is and maybe tries to course correct. It wouldn't be too late now.

Yeah, Rorie would be perfect

*looks at the sharp decline of Kingdom Heartache views on YouTube*

I sure hope he'll change things up.

- J - D -

Notice how Kingdom Heartache clips are pretty much never featured in the Best of Giant Bomb videos?

*looks at the sharp decline of Kingdom Heartache views on YouTube*

I sure hope he'll change things up.

What gets me is that they think Heartache is a suitable front-facing freemium video series to show to the general youtube audience

Notice how Kingdom Heartache clips are pretty much never featured in the Best of Giant Bomb videos?

What gets me is that they think Heartache is a suitable front-facing freemium video series to show to the general youtube audience

Charging for it feels like it'd be a mistake.

TraBuch

Banned
The obvious premium feature to draw in viewers and new subs is PUBG. It's the most popular game in the world right now and it features most of the duders. Viewers that don't know GB will be drawn in by the game, and then they'll get a taste of the various personalities on the site.

oti

Banned

I feel like they're pretty bad about this stuff in general. The first UPF after the free trial introduction was them playing an hour of Nidhogg 2. It's just so odd to see them taking steps to get a wider audience but then not caring about that at all at times.

The obvious premium feature to draw in viewers and new subs is PUBG. It's the most popular game in the world right now and it features most of the duders. Viewers that don't know GB will be drawn in by the game, and then they'll get a taste of the various personalities on the site.

Every website is doing something PUBG. It’s not a defining feature that would make people sub imo. Especially considering other sites are doing more interesting/fun things with the game, like Polygon.

Honestly, what made me renew was SMS and the XCOM stuff. Put a few hits of that stuff up for free and then watch the spice floooooooow.

EDIT: just saw they put SMS Episode 1 up for free on Youtube. Giant Bomb reading my mind!

- J - D -

I feel like they're pretty bad about this stuff in general. The first UPF after the free trial introduction was them playing an hour of Nidhogg 2. It's just so odd to see them taking steps to get a wider audience but then not caring about that at all at times.

Yeah it's one step forward, one step back. 7 day premium trial? Great! Choice of free content to draw in potential premium customers? Eh...

Edit: but at least some of the premium unlock stuff has been smart, like SMS.

TraBuch

Banned
Every website is doing something PUBG. It’s not a defining feature that would make people sub imo. Especially considering other sites are doing more interesting/fun things with the game, like Polygon.
The defining premium feature is UPF, and that's inarguably the worst feature they have.

Willing to ease up on Ben a bit about why Kingdom Heartache isn't really working simply because it's not a particularly fun game to watch if the player doesn't know right away what to do or where to go and arguably more excruciating to play. Still every episode I watched I was still wondering what the 'hook' was for the series.

oti

Banned
The defining premium feature is UPF, and that's inarguably the worst feature they have.
The defining premium feature of GB is their studio. The way they play VR games for instance is something many others can't even dream of. That "show" element is pretty rare in a world in which many outlets just stream games with a webcam.

Willing to ease up on Ben a bit about why Kingdom Heartache isn't really working simply because it's not a particularly fun game to watch if the player doesn't know right away what to do or where to go and arguably more excruciating to play. Still every episode I watched I was still wondering what the 'hook' was for the series.

This too. Kingdom Hearts 1 is REAL DULL as a game to watch. I don't know if Ben knew that in advance.

- J - D -

Heartache is upf-tier. So even at its worst I'll still happily put it on in the background when I do some work at home. Could be worse, it could be like the star trek bridge crew quick look...

BTA

This too. Kingdom Hearts 1 is REAL DULL as a game to watch. I don't know if Ben knew that in advance.

I think they just assumed because Kingdom Hearts is wild/weird as a whole that'd be constantly true hour to hour so that the rotating chair would actually be baffled.

Based on what I remember, that's true of like... Birth By Sleep, but not necessarily the earlier ones, or at least 1?

I think they just assumed because Kingdom Hearts is wild/weird as a whole that'd be constantly true hour to hour so that the rotating chair would actually be baffled.

Based on what I remember, that's true of like... Birth By Sleep, but not necessarily the earlier ones, or at least 1?

I think it's mostly true of 1. I've only played a few, but the rest get more insane as time goes on. 1 has a whole lot of mostly bad platforming because it was aimed at a younger audience at the time. By the time the later entries started appearing, the gameplay shifted accordingly.

I finished the Monstro world yesterday and really most KH1 cutscenes so far are variations of:

Maleficent: "The boy has the keyblade but soon our goal will be accomplished."

Disney villain: "I'll do something about this."

Riku: "Wow Sora do you even care about Kairi?"

Sora: "Okay Donald, Goofy, and new Disney hero, let's close that keyhole and find Kairi!"

Probably not going to get the kind of fuckery you got out of, say, Metal Gear Scanlon.

Here's a crazy thought. I actually find the All Hero Challenge DOTA videos more engaging than Kingdom Heartache, and I know jack shit about DOTA and have actually played all of Kingdom Hearts. You know why?

Because the people in those videos actually engage with what they're playing.

I'll take GB playing a game badly or dumping on it over indifference. Make fun of it, exaggerate criticisms, whatever. As long as they're actively engaging with what's happening on screen, I'll follow it.

Certainly isn't the case for Kingdom Heartache. Ben only seems to show the mildest interest in the game, and most of the time he doesn't know what exactly he needs to do.

Really doesn't help that Kingdom Hearts is just bland as fuck though. It's a really weak anchor for a series where the humor is super low key.

So it's a lot of talking about random shit and getting frustrated with the game. Not much comedy there, and the whole running joke of Ben repeating everything ran out of steam two episodes in.

It's just mostly boring.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ben, and he's shown how funny he can actually be on other content. The Department of New Business had a really rough start, but it got good immediately for the next two episodes! Five hour-long episodes in for Kingdom Heartache, it still isn't doing anything for me. I'd be totally fine if this series got scrapped for something new, just like how I was perfectly okay with GBeast shelving Bring Your B Game when they realized it wasn't actually very fun.

I'm sure Ben can come up with a better idea for a long video series.

WIg058A.jpg

BTA

Here's a crazy thought. I actually find the All Hero Challenge DOTA videos more engaging than Kingdom Heartache, and I know jack shit about DOTA and have actually played all of Kingdom Hearts. You know why?

Because the people in those videos actually engage with what they're playing.

I'll take GB playing a game badly or dumping on it over indifference. Make fun of it, exaggerate criticisms, whatever. As long as they're actively engaging with what's happening on screen, I'll follow it.

Certainly isn't the case for Kingdom Heartache. Ben only seems to show the mildest interest in the game, and most of the time he doesn't know what exactly he needs to do.

Really doesn't help that Kingdom Hearts is just bland as fuck though. It's a really weak anchor for a series where the humor is super low key.

So it's a lot of talking about random shit and getting frustrated with the game. Not much comedy there, and the whole running joke of Ben repeating everything ran out of steam two episodes in.

It's just mostly boring.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ben, and he's shown how funny he can actually be on other content. The Department of New Business had a really rough start, but it got good immediately for the next two episodes! Five hour-long episodes in for Kingdom Heartache, it still isn't doing anything for me. I'd be totally fine if this series got scrapped for something new, just like how I was perfectly okay with GBeast shelving Bring Your B Game when they realized it wasn't actually very fun.

I'm sure Ben can come up with a better idea for a long video series.

Wait.

DNB should have had a new episode yesterday.

I'm now onboard with being annoyed about PAX drought.

BTA

I just realized I forgot to send in an email/correction about Miiverse.

If no one else did I'll send it for next episode, I guess.

Mr. F

Banned
I need Snipperclips DLC yesterday

East has just been on a way, way bigger role with their reoccurring content. Dan continues to shit solid gold with Steal My Sunshine, and whoever thought up Exquisite Corps (I assume Vinny) was brilliant. The battle reports are hilarious, and it might be the first GB show with some sort of actual production value!

To be fair, the East crew also just seems more game to actually play a long with a schtick (like the betting in Sunshine, or battle reports). I feel like the idea of Jeff unironically doing a funny battle report for XCOM is way beyond anything he'd be willing to do. He'd instantly hear the idea and go "nah".

the differences between East and West's approaches to content are pretty odd side by side, iirc Jeff's philosophy is not wanting to be on a schedule so they dont feel forced to do something/have that affect the quality (l o l)

killroy87

I need Snipperclips DLC yesterday

the differences between East and West's approaches to content are pretty odd side by side, iirc Jeff's philosophy is not wanting to be on a schedule so they dont feel forced to do something/have that affect the quality (l o l)

Yeah. And to be clear, I don't want all of GB to turn into recurring series. As hit and miss as UPF is, I still look forward to it every week just because I like the vibe.

It's weird that they haven't stuck with things like Demo Derby or Game Tapes more regularly. The fact that we are getting DOTA and Kingdom Hearts on a more regular basis than those is kind of dumb.

I also just want to see Brad in more stuff. I never want the Quick Look to go away, but if they have to eliminate QL's for the lowest tier of games so Brad has more time to do another Breaking Brad or something, go for it.

At least twice a year on the Bombcast Jeff alludes to some new content ideas they have cooking up, and unless he's talking about East stuff, I don't know what those end up being. Because the Kingdom Hearts and DOTA segments do not seem fully realized enough to be the result of weeks/months of planning.

Guys I think Destiny 2 might be a bad game. The downgrade is real.

I think it's just the lighting. There doesn't look to be a massive drop in actual texture detail.

Mr. F

Banned
Yeah. And to be clear, I don't want all of GB to turn into recurring series. As hit and miss as UPF is, I still look forward to it every week just because I like the vibe.

It's weird that they haven't stuck with things like Demo Derby or Game Tapes more regularly. The fact that we are getting DOTA and Kingdom Hearts on a more regular basis than those is kind of dumb.

I also just want to see Brad in more stuff. I never want the Quick Look to go away, but if they have to eliminate QL's for the lowest tier of games so Brad has more time to do another Breaking Brad or something, go for it.

At least twice a year on the Bombcast Jeff alludes to some new content ideas they have cooking up, and unless he's talking about East stuff, I don't know what those end up being. Because the Kingdom Hearts and DOTA segments do not seem fully realized enough to be the result of weeks/months of planning.

I think it's just the lighting. There doesn't look to be a massive drop in actual texture detail.

Demo and Game Tapes still baffle me because (Game Tapes especially) they seem pretty low impact from a production standpoint, as well as theoretically scratching the old/weird game industry culture stuff that would get West actually excited to be there.

As for new stuff, I don't even know really - part of me thinks thats just a line to placate people. I'm sure they do have ideas on the backburner but its become abundantly clear that West is the business end of the site and that sucks a lot of time up. That and the energy doesn't seem to be there in general

Top Bottom