• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BTA

The thing about Fig is that like... I assumed that because they do so few campaigns, and only a couple at a time, they'd personalize their support and go "hey, we know from research that for rewards you want to do X, Y, and Z at these price points, and for updates you probably want to focus on A and post at B intervals", etc.

And now I have to assume they don't do that, or they ignored that advice?

Harpuia

edit: also how did nobody talk about how in xcom literally everyone died!

Alex thus far is the better commander. His soldier survival rate is so far the best. Despite Abby wiping a team and failing it completely once, I think Dan has consistently lost them the most soldiers. Then again, the cyberdisc getting a turn was some bullshit...I wonder if the game has it "activated" from the beginning. Usually enemies use their turn to scramble into position before engaging.

Megasoum

Banned
With all the Forza 7 bullshit floating around I really wish they would put FM 3 and/or 4 on backwards compatible on XB1.

I miss those old games but I don't want to plug my giant jet engine sounding white 360 back in and also I don't have a 360 compatible steering wheel anymore.

Fireblend

Banned
Wow. I'm late but I'm listening to the podcast now and I'm pleasantly surprised that they are liking Steamworld Dig 2 so much, it's probably my favorite indie of the year so far, I've been recommending it to everyone. It's so damn good.

Having played both, it's way better than Golf Story btw. It's an even better metroidvania than Samus Returns tbh.

Dineren

Banned
The thing about Fig is that like... I assumed that because they do so few campaigns, and only a couple at a time, they'd personalize their support and go "hey, we know from research that for rewards you want to do X, Y, and Z at these price points, and for updates you probably want to focus on A and post at B intervals", etc.

And now I have to assume they don't do that, or they ignored that advice?

The whole campaign seems pretty poorly run in general. Looking at my email, their first update didn't come out until 5 days after the campaign launched. I honestly thought they saw the small amount of backers and had given up. The dog version also seems like pure desperation on their part. Maybe it was planned from the start, but showing up so late into the campaign would make me very nervous if I was investing. Did they really budget for two versions from the start?

I really hope a publisher decides to pick it up since I'm a big fan, but this campaign certainly won't have helped that possibility.

Hasney

Wow. I'm late but I'm listening to the podcast now and I'm pleasantly surprised that they are liking Steamworld Dig 2 so much, it's probably my favorite indie of the year so far, I've been recommending it to everyone. It's so damn good.

Having played both, it's way better than Golf Story btw. It's an even better metroidvania than Samus Returns tbh.

Nah, I was loving Dig 2 but I need to get back to it now I'm done with Golf Story, because that was so addictive that I out everything on hold.

It helps that I've waited more than a decade for a golf RPG, mind you.

oti

Banned
With all the Forza 7 bullshit floating around I really wish they would put FM 3 and/or 4 on backwards compatible on XB1.

I miss those old games but I don't want to plug my giant jet engine sounding white 360 back in and also I don't have a 360 compatible steering wheel anymore.
Project Gotham Racing 4 was my jam.

Fireblend

Banned
Nah, I was loving Dig 2 but I need to get back to it now I'm done with Golf Story, because that was so addictive that I out everything on hold.

It helps that I've waited more than a decade for a golf RPG, mind you.

I'm right there with you, I adored Mario Golf on GBC and was hyped as hell for GS. Golf Story is 2-3 QoL/bugfixing patches away from being good though. Can't quit out of challenges, the saving system is weird, quick play/MP mode is paperthin, putting mechanics could use some work, you can't replay any of the cool minigames for some reason, etc... and that's before getting into the bugs which have forced me reboot the game several times because I get stuck when talking to NPCs.

Steamworld Dig 2 is ridiculously polished in every way. Granted SWD2 was developed by an experienced team and GS by a 2-man team, but the difference really shows. I really hope the devs give Golf Story some post-release support beyond bug-fixing.

BTA

Weird question: does Heist introduce any lore/world details and such I should know before I play Dig 2? It wouldn't be for a month or two anyway but I'll get that in first (since I've heard it's good anyway) if so.

I also forget literally everything about Dig 1, so there's that too.

He asked for far too much money for what appears to be a cool, niche game.

I mean, I feel the problem is more that even cool niche games cost too much to make. If that's the budget and no publisher is helping, asking for less would be foolish.

Fireblend

Banned
Weird question: does Heist introduce any lore/world details and such I should know before I play Dig 2? It wouldn't be for a month or two anyway but I'll get that in first (since I've heard it's good anyway) if so.

No, and the story in Dig 1 was so simple you get a 3-line recap during the beginning sequence of Dig 2 and I don't think they could've provided a longer one even if they wanted to :p.

What type of games are the steam world games?

Dig 1 is a mining game in which you dig for minerals in a procedurally generated mine, and sell them at town to buy upgrades to be able to dig further. Repeat ~5 times and an end boss I think? It's a neat proof of concept.

Heist is a turn-based, side-perspective strategy RPG with really cool bullet ricochet mechanics. There's also a heavy hat-collection component.

Dig 2 is a fully-fledgd metroidvania with the concept from Dig 1 used as a traversal method, except the mines are handcrafted and connect longer platforming/metroid-like exploration sections, as well as self-contained, puzzle-like gauntlets, like 2D BotW shrines. It's really good.

oti

Banned
After the MGS talk I feel like checking out Metal Gear Scanlon again. Also re-listening to GOTY 2015 casts reminded me I still have to watch that FMV Phoenix Wright game East played.

Valtýr

I see nothing of MetroidVania in SWD2 let along considering it better as a MetroidVania than Samus Returns :/

Like, it has the lightest elements of power upgrades but it doesn't aspire to any of the things Metroid in general does.

Mass Effect Andromeda came out this year

Divinity: Original Sin 2 came out this year.
1li1sj.gif

Fireblend

Banned
Valtýr;250829099 said:
I see nothing of Metroid Vania in SWD2 let along considering it better as a Metroid Vania than Samus Returns :/

By metroidvania, I mean the game takes place in a completely interconnected world, and progression is based on exploring and finding tools/equipment that is required to access further parts of said world. It also features backtracking into sections you've already "cleared" of said world to access new areas that were previously inaccessible due to the lack of said upgrades. Like Cave Story, Ori and the Blind Forest (though that one is way more linear), Guacamelee, etc.

I'm actually really looking forward to speedruns of the game because the potential for sequence-breaking in the game is crazy.

Also the way you type metroidvania creeps me out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Western Digital gives way better loot drops anyway.

Yeah just like the bombcast. It's not peak bombcast and it's not as goofy as the beastcast but that doesn't mean it's bad

Hmmmm, depending on my mood I see myself preferring it to both? Jeff talking about whatever is still one of my favourite things about the site, and this is a more fun and breezier version of jar time. So far it has provided better discussion of topics than either the bombcast or beastcast lately.

Catvoca

Banned
Yeah just like the bombcast. It's not peak bombcast and it's not as goofy as the beastcast but that doesn't mean it's bad

It's basically just another hour of pretty good Bombcast. I'm into it if I have the time during the week.

I probably like it more than the Beastcast tbqh

Top Bottom