• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Man, 2008-2010 was such a great period for racing games and it hasn't really been that good since. You were getting Burnout Paradise, Forza 3, Dirt 2, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Midnight Club LA, GRID, Gran Turismo 5, hell even Blur. I've yet to find a racing game this generation that has really grabbed me.

The worst thing about Cuphead is getting yourself to remap the controls, after that it is mostly fine.

The hardest thing is that the foreground objects can obstruct the projectiles and sometimes the colors don't stand out against the backgrounds. (The platforms in the bee boss) It is no Ninja Gaiden or Dark Souls.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I've died a lot but never in a way that makes me think it's bullshit which I think means they tuned the difficulty pretty well.

It's just that sometimes the foreground stuff can really fuck with you in small ways that adds up.

The bosses in Cuphead look irritating. Bullet-hell style stuff always seems artificially hard.

This post looks wrong. Care to define how it's artificially hard when it requires skill/pattern recognition to overcome it?

Edit: I'm so slow...

I love D:OS2 but Vinny's falling behind on Warhammer quick looks.

Wunder

the true hell in Cuphead are the run n gun levels

they just make you feel so fucking idiotic for getting hit by a slow moving flying fish going up and down

The bosses in Cuphead look irritating. Bullet-hell style stuff always seems artificially hard.

Unless it gets harder later on, it's not that much of a bullet hell? The max number of 'bullets' I've seen in the screen is like...7 slow falling ones from the boss flower? It's more like a puzzle if anything. Even Hilda Berg doesn't have alot of 'bullets', although she does get super hard in her final form because there's like 4 things you have to watch out for.

The one issue is that I have died to stuff that was obscured from the foreground, again from Hilda Bergs final form.

Antiwhippy

the true hell in Cuphead are the run n gun levels

they just make you feel so fucking idiotic for getting hit by a slow moving flying fish going up and down

I haven't gotten to that yet, but I've restarted the tree trunk one a lot because the slope fucked me over so much trying to parry for that coin. :(

Wunder

I haven't gotten to that yet, but I've restarted the tree trunk one a lot because the slope fucked me over so much trying to parry for that coin. :(

GOD fuck that level too fucking dumb ass bees and dopey tree trunks shooting slow projectiles at you and you still get hit because you suck at the game and god damnit I hate it so fucking much

GOD fuck that level too fucking dumb ass bees and dopey tree trunks shooting slow projectiles at you and you still get hit because you suck at the game and god damnit I hate it so fucking much

I swear to god that the stacked pieces of tree on that level, that spit out the bullets, are caricatures of these guys-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s22PZRXAIY

Like when the spit out the bullet in the game, I swear to god it makes the same face as when the guys whistle in the video.

Antiwhippy

See I found that part easy to just jump through.

That fucking parry for the coin though.

Also I feel like i die most of the time from going for the parry.

See I found that part easy to just jump through.

That fucking parry for the coin though.

Also I feel like i die most of the time from going for the parry.

The good thing about the parry is that it has a huge window to hit it. You can safely press the parry button before the actual object hits you and you'll still get it, since the parry works through the whole animation and not just the start.

Antiwhippy

The good thing about the parry is that it has a huge window to hit it. You can safely press the parry button before the actual object hits you and you'll still get it, since the parry works through the whole animation and not just the start.

It's more about the other things that I hit chasing for it. :p

Fireblend

Banned
Golf Story is so good

but

it is sooooooo buggy ;_;

lost so much progress twice now

I hate how once you're done with the disc golf, drone and RC car challenges, you can't replay them ever again unless you start a new file and reach those parts of the game again. Like, why?! Just let me talk to the NPCs again and play them o_O

its awesome to watch, I watched like 3 or 4 different streamers play through the game at various points and when I sat down to play it it was a ton of fun. I didn't mind that I got spoiled on bosses since I ended up dying a bunch anyway and having loadout tips and knowing what a boss does shaved down a lot of deaths.

It reminds me of Contra Shattered Soldier in a lot of ways. I'm not particularly good at Cuphead or Shattered Soldier, memorizing the patterns and whatnot. Watching someone who is can be, I dunno, cathartic?

Golf Story is so good

but

it is sooooooo buggy ;_;

lost so much progress twice now

Messing with Golf Story and Everybody's Golf in a short period kinda makes me wish they were the same game.

Is anyone making arcadey racers these days man. i miss them

What happened to that Daytona USA kickstarter game meant to release on the Wii U. At least there's Mario Kart... the last Sonic racing game was five years ago.

Everyone should play Golf Story.

giphy.gif

Edit: Guess I should try to beat Yakuza Kiwami before Odyssey comes out.

valeo

Just did that last night - I found the easiest way was to play the 'avoid' game rather than 'kill everything'.

I sped through the Bee/Tree Trunk section and only focused on killing the bees when needed. If they go past you, they just keep going south.

The only thing I had issues with was at the start; trying to get that coin.

Valtýr

As a huge Metroid fan, SWD2 is the best Metroid since AM2R
I don't want to just undercut you about this at every turn but I think it's important to have another opinion: As a huge Metroid fan, SWD2 did nothing for me from the perspective of a Metroidvania. (Because I don't think it counts as one in the first place)

Just did that last night - I found the easiest way was to play the 'avoid' game rather than 'kill everything'.

that's totally the way to get through those stages

I think I've used the smoke bomb for pretty much every single part of the game

the only time I did anything else was the 2x Heart charm for the Pier pacifist run

Valtýr;250856384 said:
I don't want to just undercut you about this at every turn but I think it's important to have another opinion: As a huge Metroid fan, SWD2 did nothing for me from the perspective of a Metroidvania. (Because I don't think it counts as one in the first place)

It's all good. Opinions and all that. Why do you feel that way, if you don't mind me asking?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ECHO is so fucking good. This might be one of the best examples of a game that feels like short fiction I've ever played, and I'm starting to get the hang of the mechanics now

Its honestly less that there's an enormous amount of strategy around using or not using certain actions every cycle and more that you try to avoid doing anything, but have to open a door or vault a railing in a pinch and then next cycle through you kick yourself as all your clones vault over railings and open doors to rush at you

Top Bottom