• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Hasney

I have no dog in the GOTY race because mine is like, either Prey or Life is Strange, and aint no way either cracks the top 10.

So I hope Destiny 2 wins just so I can watch the world burn

Yeah, I don't care either way since they usually go far from my tastes. But I'd take Destiny 2 over PUBG for sure

Harpuia

Man...Destiny 2...is it really as great as people say it is? I'm seeing it get all this praise and I wonder because if so I might need to jump in sooner than expected.

all my
justified
shade aside, Destiny 2 is a fine game. you got your numbers going up, your loot drops. By the shooting feeling good, I take it to mean the level design and map design, along with the weapon and class system, works in such a way that encounters are fun and exciting. The raids all seem like good team based coop.

Despite all this I find it unremarkable, and tend to think it's milquetoast. Not personally something I think deserves game of the year.

daveo42

Banned
Iv tried playing it so many times. Best FPS to watch maybe, but man, I really hate shooting in Wolfenstein. Just hope it's massively improved in 2

You probably won't be too impressed with it then, because I'm sure they haven't done much to how the game feels. Idk, I had a blast tearing nazis apart with a wide range of weapons and still think it's one of the best this gen.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Why are they using skype? Don't they use discord?

this is most likely a shit show on both. they're both not great to work with. I've had to set this kind of cross country stream for a company I've worked for in the past.

TraBuch

Banned
Giant Bomb was mentioned as a YouTube channel with good people in that PDP thread.

Fucking knew GB was just a bunch of youtubers. Jeff can deny, but he's a youtuber

YOU'RE A YOUTUBER JEFF

Hasney

It's running off the new Doom engine so theoretically it could be comparable in the feel of the guns.

You probably won't be too impressed with it then, because I'm sure they haven't done much to how the game feels. Idk, I had a blast tearing nazis apart with a wide range of weapons and still think it's one of the best this gen.

Hopefully Rumble is right.

But yeah, to me none of the guns had any weight. It just felt like I was shooting props in a movie.

all my
justified
shade aside, Destiny 2 is a fine game. you got your numbers going up, your loot drops. By the shooting feeling good, I take it to mean the level design and map design, along with the weapon and class system, works in such a way that encounters are fun and exciting. The raids all seem like good team based coop.

Despite all this I find it unremarkable, and tend to think it's milquetoast. Not personally something I think deserves game of the year.

Haven't played 2 but 1 was definitely the same way... I think a lot of people hadn't experienced group dungeons, raids, etc before. I know some of my friends were completely impressed with that when its stuff WoW and other MMO's have done for ages. All that being said, still had a fun time with vanilla Destiny 1, put 100+ hours into it (a lot of that due to playing with friends haha), but definitely left disappointed. Looking forward to diving into 2 on PC next month, tempering my expectations though.

all my
justified

I honestly don't think Destiny 2 is much of an improvement on The Taken King, it's still the same game. The lack of new enemies and stand-out locations is frustrating as is the lack of matchmaking for all modes at launch and the PVP is a huge step back.

Wunder

But yeah, to me none of the guns had any weight. It just felt like I was shooting props in a movie.

Yeah that was my problem with Wolfenstein too

The movement felt weightless in a weird way and the guns, especially dual wielding them didn't feel that great. I might go back to play it just to see the story though, since I do wanna give Wolfenstein 2 a chance

daveo42

Banned

I knew they were moving to Doom's engine but I wonder if they retooled weapons and shooting to match the last game or not. It might feel different out of the game. As for weight, I never had any kind of issue with that.

It's a "Bioshock" clone, so it's not allowed to be a good fps.

This post makes me irrationally angry and ready to type out a 600 word essay about the origins of the immersive sim and how Prey is more of a spiritual successor to System Shock 2/Deus Ex than Bioshock ever was and how I hate that Bioshock is the more popular point of reference for most people because they don't know any better

but i won't so count yourselves lucky. now beat it kid!!! off my lawn!

cordy

Banned
all my
justified

I had fun with 1, was on it for maybe 2-3 months but my issue is that after doing everything in the main game and some post-game stuff it was done for. As long as it's got more content in those regards then I'm good.

Zaph

Prey is great and the sales of recent Bethesda games not named Fallout really bums me out.

I guess the market just isn't there for that type of game any more.

vsZ7HQI.png

tesqui

Whether or not Destiny is towards the top of GOTY is if Jeff is into it or not. He wasn't that hot on it in that Quick Look.

J_Viper

In either example it's people watching video to be entertained. I don't see the difference.

There's a huge difference in a scripted television series and GB

Unless we find out GB was entirely written by Jeff

I think some of the reactions to the last episode of EQ have been a tiny bit extreme, but I also get it. For me it's less about him not playing the game good and more about feeling like the quality of the show is getting kneecapped a bit, both in how amusing the "joke" is and also in how long the series could run for. The Abby/Alex episodes have been really fun and I think it's a great idea for a feature, it would just kinda suck to see the series to end a lot sooner than necessary because of bit that's more grating than entertaining.

I like the series too, but even I wouldn't mind it ending sooner rather than later.

That way they can move onto XCOM2. That game is fucking sadistic.

Aw man, that'd make me sad

The wimpy sound design in TNO nearly ruins what is an otherwise stellar FPS. I was hoping the audio would be beefed up this time around.

What is it with Bethesda and poor firearm audio? Out of their recent shooters, only Fallout 4 has gotten it right, which is kind of hilarious.

Hasney

Weather or not Destiny is towards the top of GOTY is if Jeff is into it or not. He wasn't that hot on it in that Quick Look.

He really seems to have warmed on it since. Seems like a lot of people praise the endgame more than the journey there.

Salarians

#content concept

Brad
Abby
Jeff
Dan
Ben
Alex

and

Austin
Patrick
Danika
Rob
Danielle
a friend

both do competing streams, playing the Des2ny raid live, blind

whoever wins doesn't have to play Destiny anymore

daveo42

Banned
This post makes me irrationally angry and ready to type out a 600 word essay about the origins of the immersive sim and how Prey is more of a spiritual successor to System Shock 2/Deus Ex than Bioshock ever was and how I hate that Bioshock is the more popular point of reference for most people because they don't know any better

but i won't so count yourselves lucky. now beat it kid!!! off my lawn!

Don't worry. It's part joke. The rest though is that "modern" (read: Bioshock and on) aren't really great fps games either. Decent, but not great. Plus, Bioshock is somehow a better fps while Infinite is leagues worse. And I'm also well aware of where the games came from and know I should eventually get back to System Shock 2 (I went in blind and spec'd way wrong at the start), but this was a conversation about fps games, not immersive sims.

LiK

Dan said Destiny 2 is GOTY contender and Vinny took down the stream so he can play D1 before they continue.

2014 all over again. Best fps of the year won't even make it on the list thanks to Destiny and another Shadow of Mordor game.

At the very least Ben will be talking about Prey since he loves it. Rorie loves it as well but he isn't in the deliberations so...

Man...Destiny 2...is it really as great as people say it is? I'm seeing it get all this praise and I wonder because if so I might need to jump in sooner than expected.
Here's my buried take on it.

Top Bottom