• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Harpuia

Find EU with Enemy Within for cheap and play that. Then once you have your bearings with a winning play through, download the Long War mod and play that.

Hmmmm.

I can't get behind people who say the long war is a good way to get into XCOM. You play Long War after you come to love
or develop stockholm syndrome
for XCOM.

If you don't mind the general ugliness of XCOM EU/EW, I'd go with OG XCOM and expansion. It's a simpler game, with just the right amount of complexity. If the new stuff in War of the Chosen seems like too much, then I'd go with this.

XCOM 2 has a lot more bells and whistles, especially with the expansion. So if you're into more complicated SRPGS, then feel free to grab XCOM 2 and WoTC.

What I ended up doing was play the base XCOM 2 game, then move onto WoTC. This is also a good way to go about your business.

BTA

I haven't been in this thread in a long time, so hopefully this doesn't come as an intrusion. I just figured this might get shared here.

My desire was to use that moment in a teachable way, in a respectful way, because I cannot express how much I still miss my friend.

I hope that comes across in the story.

It's absolutely understood, though I completely understand the need to come here and get ahead of things.

Hasney

Hmmmm.

I can't get behind people who say the long war is a good way to get into XCOM. You play Long War after you come to love
or develop stockholm syndrome
for XCOM.

Yeah, that's what I said. Long War after successful EU/EW play through.

Hasney

They're going to be extra thirsty for murder after this wait. Time to get spicy!

Spicy? With Dan?

laughter.gif

Harpuia

Yeah, that's what I said. Long War after successful EU/EW play through.

I'm not a general fan of Long War, mostly because their idea of what they want the game to be is More Units. Though props for working within the confines of XCOM.

If the price is not an issue, I'd honestly go with XCOM 2/WoTC. You could try out the vanilla game, then try your hand at WoTC once you're comfortable with the core mechanics.

If you're looking for a cheap time, XCOM+EW is also OK.

I haven't been in this thread in a long time, so hopefully this doesn't come as an intrusion. I just figured this might get shared here.

My desire was to use that moment in a teachable way, in a respectful way, because I cannot express how much I still miss my friend.

I think it does. There's a clear distinction between PDP and Ryan's handling of their outbreaks. Article does a good job of outlining everything IMO.

For Ryan specially, I never witnessed Ryan's outbreak live or anything, but I appreciate that he was mature enough to own what happened immediately and try to walk forward from there. You can't take back what was said--but you can prove it's not who you are.
XCOM2, especially with War of the Chosen, is the better game. But even at its easiest, it can be brutal.

Find EU with Enemy Within for cheap and play that. Then once you have your bearings with a winning play through, download the Long War mod and play that.

By the time you've beaten that, you'll be ready for War of the Chosen. Hell, by that point, it'll likely be cheap too.

I agree with this (minus Long War stuff because I haven't played it). XCOM the first is basically training for the sequel, which is superb.

But, while XCOM 2 and WotC can be brutal, so long as you're OK with a steep learning curve you will enjoy it--even as a complete novice.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Your article (well written and the last part came across exactly as you wanted) got me to check back on Ryans apology note comments.

Same conversation, different day.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The S12K needs a nerf too. I landed near the house in Shooting Range, grabbed an S12K from inside, and one shot a guy coming out of the target practice area. I couldn't believe it.

then why does it need a nerf? works as intended.

Top Bottom