• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valtýr

The conversation about loot boxes on the bombcast really sucked. "People are buying them so whatever". It's gambling my dudes. Obviously they don't give a shit or see no problem with that inherently.

It really sucks when they shrug these shitty practices away. Jeff can really dig into stuff when he's motivated and its weird to see them treat these kind of things so lightly.

oti

Banned
Oh I know that, but it still takes guts!

Like telling others you didn't enjoy The Princess Bride. You'd get a lot of "WHAT? WHY? EXPLAIN"

I don't care. People treating any piece of media as if there was only one correct opinion on them are ridiculous anyway
unless it's Mario Galaxy 2 aka the best video game of all time
. It's a dumb movie, people have dumb opinions. Let's have fun. I'm not in it for some stupid drama.

Is Princess Bride a good movie? Should I watch that?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I bought a Blizzcon virtual ticket solely because it had a skin of my favorite character in OW

is that better or worse than buying boxes

Zaph

Valtýr;251591843 said:
It really sucks when they shrug these shitty practices away. Jeff can really dig into stuff when he's motivated and its weird to see them treat these kind of things so lightly.

They're still talking about it, I think he jumped the gun a bit there.

I bought a Blizzcon virtual ticket solely because it had a skin of my favorite character in OW

is that better or worse than buying boxes
When I was deep into wow, I bought a Blizzcon virtual ticket for the Deathwing Merloc pet. And almost dropped £300 for a damn chicken mount

oti

Banned
First two posts I've seen in Splatoon 2

Be safe, Dani (California)

It was full of Knack 2 memes before its release. Then for a week it was all about LGBT acceptance, sharing selfies with squids and all sorts of stuff. The Splatoon 2 plaza is a beautiful mess.

Valtýr;251591843 said:

Yeah, I found his dismissal of the stuff Ben brought up about the domination aspect of Wardor kind of a bummer too. Austin and co. have said some really thoughtful stuff about it. I hardly ever listen to the bombcast anymore and this episode is basically confirming for me that I'm not missing anything. Just not finding these discussions particularly interesting.

dcassell

Banned
I don't care. People treating any piece of media as if there was only one correct opinion on them are ridiculous anyway
. It's a dumb movie, people have dumb opinions. Let's have fun. I'm not in it for some stupid drama.

I try to agree with you there, and always push to accept that people have different opinions than me...but my brain won't let me! Obviously, these subjective opinions don't matter, but man I liked that movie haha. The first time I saw it, I wasn't blown away, but my appreciation for it increased when I learned all the stuff that happened behind the screen and how much of the stunt work wasn't accomplished with wires or CG. The practical effects and insane stunt work are what I think should be its hallmarks. I didn't really like the character designs either, but the color design in it is just incredible. It's very pretty.

Princess Bride is great, though I know a lot of people who hate it. It's pretty goofy, and Andre the Giant is a treasure in it.

Hindl

It's amazing and delightfully 80s in its special effects. Although parts of it have spread through pop culture that you've probably heard half the quotes from the movie already

KingKong

Its funny that people have been dismissing loot boxes while they get worse and worse. At first it was just skins that don't affect gameplay so who cares. Now it's directly affecting gameplay in practically every AAA game but since you can grind for the same content it's not a big deal

oti

Banned
I try to agree with you there, and always push to accept that people have different opinions than me...but my brain won't let me! Obviously, these subjective opinions don't matter, but man I liked that movie haha. The first time I saw it, I wasn't blown away, but my appreciation for it increased when I learned all the stuff that happened behind the screen and how much of the stunt work wasn't accomplished with wires or CG. The practical effects and insane stunt work are what I think should be its hallmarks. I didn't really like the character designs either, but the color design in it is just incredible. It's very pretty.

Princess Bride is great, though I know a lot of people who hate it. It's pretty goofy, and Andre the Giant is a treasure in it.

I do appreciate it from the technical standpoint. The rest is just the 13-year-old draws "hardcore" stuff in his notebook designs that I don't like. For me to like that movie I have to strictly distinguish between the technical masterpiece that it is and the design I find super lame. And that's just not easy for me, especially since I'm not that much into movies to begin with.

It is pretty though. Striking photography and all that jazz.

What's that?

The orcs in this game are more humanized than before, like they're implied to have a culture and personalities, and you're just enslaving them left and right and there's no commentary on it in the game afaik. Jeff said something like "yeah you're not a good guy in this game" but I don't think the game ever really frames Talion as morally culpable or anything, at least not in the first game. I haven't played Wardor.

EvilSeveralHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

Thinking of Alex

Harpuia

The orcs in this game are more humanized than before, like they're implied to have a culture and personalities, and you're just enslaving them left and right and there's no commentary on it in the game afaik. Jeff said something like "yeah you're not a good guy in this game" but I don't think the game ever really frames Talion as morally culpable or anything, at least not in the first game. I haven't played Wardor.

I would imagine the original intention was like "You control an army of avatars! They fight for you, and you are their leader!" Essentially treating them like collectibles, much like a clash royale or what have you, has you collect cards of fun characters for you to use.

Instead it ended up taking this tone, and I bet the folks at WB Interactive are hitting their heads on their desk as we speak.

They really should've just divorced this from the LoTR IP, but alas! Gotta have those sales, I guess. Sucks that they don't have faith in the game to stand out on its own.

I would imagine the original intention was like "You control an army of avatars! They fight for you, and you are their leader!" Essentially treating them like collectibles, much like a clash royale or what have you, has you collect cards of fun characters for you to use.

Instead it ended up taking this tone, and I bet the folks at WB Interactive are hitting their heads on their desk as we speak.

They really should've just divorced this from the LoTR IP, but alas! Gotta have those sales, I guess. Sucks that they don't have faith in the game to stand out on its own.

Even if they went with "Hey, fantasy magic medieval LOTR-like world where you can capture orcs, have huge battles, check out this sick new fucking system we have!", I think they would have had a huge hit the first time around too.

The game is a shitload of fun (for me), but the LOTR tie in does absolutely nothing for me. I mentioned a few times a few pages back too that I have NO inclination for what all is involved in the LOTR world past memes/South Park/etc, and I know that Middle-Earth isn't some power fantasy world. It's supposed to be little people working together.

Kaizer

Banned
Well I just watched the first Blade Runner earlier today, went with the Final Cut. I enjoyed it a lot for the most part. I paused the movie at one point to use the bathroom & noticed apparently an hour had already gone by but it only felt like I'd been watching the film for 5 minutes. If 2049 is similar in tone & pacing to the original at all, I know I'm probably going to love it.

The most intriguing thing about the movie is how it's made me all the more interested in seeing 2049 since the original very much feels like a self-contained story that wraps up with questions left for ambiguity. There was nothing that screamed out "we need to make another of these", but the fact that they did & that it's a continuation of Deckard's story in part now has me really interested in 2049. Definitely gonna watch the film again & also check out the other cuts though.

Tagyhag

Yes, especially if you like Andre The Giant.

Its funny that people have been dismissing loot boxes while they get worse and worse. At first it was just skins that don't affect gameplay so who cares. Now it's directly affecting gameplay in practically every AAA game but since you can grind for the same content it's not a big deal

Tobe fair grind isnt new to games. As long as its enjoyable, then thats fine cause youre playing the game. Hell theres even a guide to get every trophy in 50nhours for Wardor(including the true ending). The loot boxes in this game are really unnecessary. And if someones buying them, more power to them?

Now Battlefront 2, those boxes are a load of shit since all of progression is locked behind them.

robotrock

Banned
Yo this crispy chicken quesadilla is already out?

Shadow of War might give off the worst first impression of any game this year. It's so fucking dull.

The voice direction and story in the first 30 minutes just seems like the worst. I'm skipping all cutscenes from now on.

Wunder

Shadow of War might give off the worst first impression of any game this year. It's so fucking dull.

im still in the first act and I feel like I need to just plow through the story and get to the army building stuff but at the same time I want to level up more

Kaizer

Banned

As someone who liked the first one in the two weeks it took me to beat it, return it to Amazon & never think about it again, I have ZERO interest in this new one - especially after that Quick Look. Everything about it just looks unappealing, like others have said, Mordor got by that year because a lot else wasn't coming out at the time, but now, in 2017 this game is just a blip on the radar of numerous releases this season.

Nerokis

The conversation about loot boxes on the bombcast really sucked. "People are buying them so whatever". It's gambling my dudes. Obviously they don't give a shit or see no problem with that inherently.

I'm not sure about this one. It seems distinct from gambling in that you're directly exchanging money for a product, even though that product isn't set in stone. In a way, loot boxes seem more similar to subscribing to one of those "here's a semi-random assortment of items!" services, as opposed to wagering cash. The risk lies on a different level: your money is absolutely getting you something (a loot box, an assortment of cute Japanese items, whatever), but you can't be sure that you'll like what's inside.

Also, this Murder Island has been very good so far. Abby great white shark vs. piranha assessment was fantastic.

I'm not sure about this one. It seems distinct from gambling in that you're directly exchanging money for a product, even though that product isn't set in stone. In a way, loot boxes seem more similar to subscribing to one of those "here's a semi-random assortment of items!" services, as opposed to wagering cash. The risk lies on a different level: your money is absolutely getting you something (a loot box, an assortment of cute Japanese items, whatever), but you can't be sure that you'll like what's inside.

Also, this Murder Island has been very good so far. Abby great white shark vs. piranha assessment was fantastic.

You're exchanging money for a random rewards. Psychologically it's the same thing. If you look into mobile gacha games you'll see. A lot of the time not getting what you want in practical terms equates to getting nothing. It's not rare to see people talking about being hundreds of dollars into the hole trying to chase a single unit with a ~1% pull rate. AAA games aren't there yet but it's already a slippery slope. As resistance to this stuff erodes more and more, it will get worse and worse. Remember the rage surrounding horse armor? That's unthinkable now. We've accepted micro-transactions, which is fine. Next we accept gambling as long as it's "benign" (cosmetic-only, or as long as it "feels" optional, which is super nebulous). The natural result is that games will start to be designed around these business models, rather than the other way around, sooner rather than later. And you need look no further than gacha games to see the nadir of this phenomenon.

You're exchanging money for a random rewards. Psychologically it's the same thing. If you look into mobile gacha games you'll see. A lot of the time not getting what you want in practical terms equates to getting nothing. It's not rare to see people talking about being hundreds of dollars into the hole trying to chase a single unit with a ~1% pull rate.

Definitely true. Played FF Brave Exvius for roughly a year and it was horrible about this. I thankfully never put any money in but even drawing at least 1 character daily (and all of my remaining currency I had been stockpiling and slowly earning from playing) I never even saw any ~1% unit (the rarest and of course best units were limited to that). It is literal gambling and it is incredibly easy to find many examples of people wasting hundreds if not thousands of dollars chasing a new release.

BTA

It was full of Knack 2 memes before its release. Then for a week it was all about LGBT acceptance, sharing selfies with squids and all sorts of stuff. The Splatoon 2 plaza is a beautiful mess.

I wish it was just LGBT acceptance. Seeing that stuff was really heartwarming and nice.

Then I realized it was because the plaza was also getting flooded with outright hatespeech, which fucking sucked to see.

I haven't played in a while; guess I'll jump on for some of the Splatfest and see what's new. When I was playing around launch I pretty much just did Salmon Run and singleplayer for whatever reason.

daveo42

Banned
I kind of wish Never Stop Sneakin' went whole hog on the MGS comparisons instead of the game being run-based.

That Jeff cheese talk was disappointing. There's some good cheese out there and he's missing out! I should send them a cheese care package from our local international market.

Harpuia

Definitely true. Played FF Brave Exvius for roughly a year and it was horrible about this. I thankfully never put any money in but even drawing at least 1 character daily (and all of my remaining currency I had been stockpiling and slowly earning from playing) I never even saw any ~1% unit (the rarest and of course best units were limited to that). It is literal gambling and it is incredibly easy to find many examples of people wasting hundreds if not thousands of dollars chasing a new release.

I am so so soooooooooooo glad that the part of the human brain susceptible to gambling is missing in me. Every mobage I've tried to play has eventually turned me away after a couple of hours playing. The game that thus far has had the largest grasp on me is probably the Fire Emblem game. Getting the orbs in that game is painstakingly time consuming. The gameplay is what it is, it can be fun if the maps are challenging enough. But those orbs are annoying to get, and the amount of time it takes to gather up 20 to roll 5 times is definitely fine tuned so as to entice people to buy orbs instead.

I am so so soooooooooooo glad that the part of the human brain susceptible to gambling is missing in me. Every mobage I've tried to play has eventually turned me away after a couple of hours playing. The game that thus far has had the largest grasp on me is probably the Fire Emblem game. Getting the orbs in that game is painstakingly time consuming. The gameplay is what it is, it can be fun if the maps are challenging enough. But those orbs are annoying to get, and the amount of time it takes to gather up 20 to roll 5 times is definitely fine tuned so as to entice people to buy orbs instead.

Yea it is a great example of another gacha game, designed exactly like you say. I tried playing that but after having just quit FF:BE shortly before starting I was not in the mood for another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom