• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revisiting the full list from 2014,

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Bayonetta 2
Far Cry 4
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Jazzpunk
Shovel Knight
Mario Kart 8
Destiny

yeah

At least Mr. Drew Scanlon has Wolfenstein TNO as his #1.

Bayonetta 2
Far Cry 4
Jazzpunk
Shovel Knight
Mario Kart 8
Destiny

yeah

It's easy to play armchair game reviewer, but to me history doesn't look as fondly upon D1, COD, South Park, and Jazzpunk from that list. But that's my personal opinion.

oti

Banned
It's easy to play armchair game reviewer, but to me history doesn't look as fondly upon D1, COD, South Park, and Jazzpunk from that list. But that's my personal opinion.

Brad was/is(?) a Destiny addict. And it's Brad. So of course it made the list.
Jeff really likes CoD for some reason. That game having a wall jump mechanic was enough to get it on the list. Jeff can be weird like that.
Jazzpunk was Alex' baby. He would've quit GB if it hadn't made the list. I have this game in my Steam library and I still don't know what this game really is.
South Park though? What's bad about South Park?

Brad was/is(?) a Destiny addict. And it's Brad. So of course it made the list.
Jeff really likes CoD for some reason. That game having a wall jump mechanic was enough to get it on the list. Jeff can be weird like that.
Jazzpunk was Alex' baby. He would've quit GB if it hadn't made the list. I have this game in my Steam library and I still don't know what this game really is.
South Park though? What's bad about South Park?

Nothing wrong with Southpark, I just thought that when most people talk about Southpark they basically say "yeah, that was a pretty good game because it looked like the show and was funny" But I guess that's the truth for almost every game released in 2014. Not a knock against South Park.

EDIT: Poor Abby in the Cuphead video getting a bit of mansplaining on how the dash works from Dan... And right after he shows that he taps the x-button to shoot fast in that game instead of holding... I'm all about people playing games their own way, but I feel like tapping the x-button instead of holding it down has got to be less efficient and more straining on your joint...

oti

Banned
Nothing wrong with Southpark, I just thought that when most people talk about Southpark they basically say "yeah, that was a pretty good game because it looked like the show and was funny" But I guess that's the truth for almost every game released in 2014. Not a knock against South Park.

I feel like out of those that you listed South Park withstood the test of time better than the rest. It wasn't really overhyped during its release. A good enough game and pretty great for fans of the show. Like a playable South Park movie or something like that. That said, I can't really say I'm excited for the new one. Haven't watched the TV series for a pretty long time and even if that game is better then the first, there are way more interesting games coming out this year than that.

Of was a pretty good RPG game in general, even without the license.

I liked that there was no grinding but the battles became pretty cumbersome at some point.

daveo42

Banned
Sounds like most people chose other games over TNO in 2014:
-Alex was going to bat for Jazzpunk
-Vinny and Patrick were pushing for Divinity (failed)
-Jeff seemed real meh on the game outside of saying the best thing about it was that it beat the low expectations most people had for the game prior to launch. He also had other horses in the race.

-Drew seems to be the only one actively defending the game, with Patrick and Alex coming in for some support
*(the linear shooter...is not dead)
*fantastic first person stealth and shooting

Reasons for dropping:
-Tonal whiplash (Jeff: Tonally that game [Wolfenstein] doesn't fit together)
-Credit given elsewhere during GotY
-Lack of enthusiasm from most of the crew as the list was trimmed down to 10
-Other games do what Wolfenstein does better
-Knife throwing super lame (Brad)

Major reason for the drop - Brad and Jeff pushing Destiny and Vinny folding

There is probably more, but it seems like TNO came in at #11 at the hands of Destiny.

I feel like out of those that you listed South Park withstood the test of time better than the rest. It wasn't really overhyped during its release. A good enough game and pretty great for fans of the show. Like a playable South Park movie or something like that. That said, I can't really say I'm excited for the new one. Haven't watched the TV series for a pretty long time and even if that game is better then the first, there are way more interesting games coming out this year than that.

I liked that there was no grinding but the battles became pretty cumbersome at some point.

I agree with y'all it was a very good game... Also I'll be honest I'm probably slightly biased against that game because my wife accidentally deleted my save when I was like 80% through that game... So my last memories of that game are a bit sour... But it's still a good game and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Real Hero

I think it is great when south park comes up on an e3 stream they all make an effort not to laugh or smile but if you focus on Brad you can tell he finds it funny

oti

Banned
Sounds like most people chose other games over TNO in 2014:
-Alex was going to bat for Jazzpunk
-Vinny and Patrick were pushing for Divinity (failed)
-Jeff seemed real meh on the game outside of saying the best thing about it was that it beat the low expectations most people had for the game prior to launch. He also had other horses in the race.

-Drew seems to be the only one actively defending the game, with Patrick and Alex coming in for some support
*(the linear shooter...is not dead)
*fantastic first person stealth and shooting

Reasons for dropping:
-Tonal whiplash (Jeff: Tonally that game [Wolfenstein] doesn't fit together)
-Credit given elsewhere during GotY
-Lack of enthusiasm from most of the crew as the list was trimmed down to 10
-Other games do what Wolfenstein does better
-Knife throwing super lame (Brad)

Major reason for the drop - Brad and Jeff pushing Destiny and Vinny folding

There is probably more, but it seems like TNO came in at #11 at the hands of Destiny.

I need a play-by-play analysis with charts and a whiteboard.

Bayonetta 2
Far Cry 4
Jazzpunk
Shovel Knight
Mario Kart 8
Destiny

yeah

Hearthtsones on it? The fuck? Has Alex been getting his piece in since 2014?

daveo42

Banned
I need a play-by-play analysis with charts and a whiteboard.

It's almost 5am. I'm too tired to do any more than what I listed, even though I'm still listening to Brad justify why he feels Destiny is better than Divinity and TNO. He's been talking for 20 minutes specifically about it and raising counter points to legit issues with Destiny that still seem somewhat flimsy to me.

Brad can love whatever games he wants for whatever reasons. I'm still of the opinion that there were other games released in 2014 that were better than Destiny.

Another funny development from GOTY 2014 is having Ubisoft's open world template as part of the please stop discussion, followed by Mordor and Far Cry 4 in the top three.

I imagine they justify it well in the audio segment, but in text form three years the context isn't there.

oti

Banned
Another funny development from GOTY 2014 is having Ubisoft's open world template as part of the please stop discussion, followed by Mordor and Far Cry 4 in the top three.

I imagine they justify it well in the audio segment
, but in text form three years the context isn't there.

🤣

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The funnier thing is that they had the 2012 "please stop" as sequelitis showing all the 3 games like far cry 3, gow 3 and mass effect 3.

Guess which games appeared on the top 10?

Antiwhippy

My problem with the Jackbox games is that there's so much shit in a pack that I don't want to play that i have to pay for to get to the ones I want.

Watching the Cuphead playdate and I think a lot of people sleep on the chaser shot that homes in on enemies. Yeah it does less damage, but all your shots hit which means you might actually be doing more damage if the enemies aren't exactly along one of the 8 directions you can aim. I also feel like it made the platforming levels WAY easier.

EDIT: lol, they literally just bought it.

Antiwhippy

They literally did that with Ben's and Rorie's games.

Which aren't great.

I wanted to see what the jackbox pack 4 contained anyway. It seems like other than fibbage it's kinda... eh?

ArjanN

I can't remember if anyone on the staff completed the New Order... Seems like sometimes top 10 is just the 10 games that most of the people actually finished.

Honestly it often seems a bunch of the guys only beat like 10 games a year, and IMO it kind of hurts the discussion at times.

Wunder

Honestly I wish they would tone down on the audience thing. Not everyone is a streamer.

Feels like most of the games are meant for a larger amount of players too. Bracketeering and Monster Seeking Monster both added more mechanics because they had too few players

ryseing

Hi folks. Wardor is stupid good. It better make the top 10 this year. It's the reason I'm still up at nearly 6 am my time. Also, Ben Pack is officially a five star man.

That is all.

I'm looking forward to this years GOTY discussion though... We're going to have 2 (Ben, Abby) new voices and hopefully a 3rd if they hire someone out west in the next couple of months. I like Drew, but he never really added much to GOTY discussions, where I feel Abby/Ben will be much more vocal and involved in the discussions.

Antiwhippy

Feels like most of the games are meant for a larger amount of players too. Bracketeering and Monster Seeking Monster both added more mechanics because they had too few players

Yeah that's a real bummer.

Last pack had some pretty good ones so it's disappointing to see this one feel so... flat.

Hi folks. Wardor is stupid good. It better make the top 10 this year. It's the reason I'm still up at nearly 6 am my time. Also, Ben Pack is officially a five star man.

That is all.

Really? I played it for 2 hours but man it's a bloated mess. It doesn't play well either, they made no gameplay improvements over the first game. I'm struggling to see what's enjoyable in it at all other than the lizard brain satisfaction of checking off captains and getting loot and leveling up. The fighting itself feels so mushy and bad. And the less said about the writing, the better.

I'm pretty over bloated open-world games in general.

ryseing

Really? I played it for 2 hours but man it's a bloated mess. It doesn't play well either, they made no gameplay improvements over the first game. I'm struggling to see what's enjoyable in it at all other than the lizard brain satisfaction of checking off captains and getting loot and leveling up. The fighting itself feels so mushy and bad. And the less said about the writing, the better.

I'm pretty over bloated open-world games in general.

Get to Act 2. It's the "get out of the Hinterlands" of 2017. The conquering fortress stuff and relationships you build with your allies is really something else, especially once random betrayals and such start happening.

Meguro

Banned
I feel like this doesn't come up often when discussing Wardor but am I like in the minority for thinking that the game looks like garbage artistically?
It looks so mushy and drab. It's like they didn't improve their engine or anything from a game that came out in 2014.

oti

Banned
I'm not over open world games, but they have to give me something more than a wonderland of collectibles and dudes to fight.
Same. For me as LotR fan the fan service is enough to play Wardor too. And Egypt (plus Greece) for Assassin's Creed.

I feel like this doesn't come up often when discussing Wardor but am I like in the minority for thinking that the game looks like garbage artistically?
It looks so mushy and drab. It's like they didn't improve their engine or anything from a game that came out in 2014.

I don't know if it looks any better on the PC but MAN that main character has to be one of the most generic boring looking/acting characters in a while, and it doesn't help that the textures on him look like garbage for 2017

Tubobutts

I don't know if it looks any better on the PC but MAN that main character has to be one of the most generic boring looking/acting characters in a while, and it doesn't help that the textures on him look like garbage for 2017
I like the game a lot but Jeff’s description of the main character as an HD texture pack N64 wrestler was accurate.

Joeku

Same. For me as LotR fan the fan service is enough to play Wardor too. And Egypt (plus Greece) for Assassin's Creed.

It's not even like...fan service though. It's like a 14 year old saw the trilogy and thought about how to make it way more "badass". It's kind of funny that way.

The way the
nazgul
look and act is the epitome of that. Like Shelob, it's wildly inaccurate but whatever, OK, video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom