• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing my Switch exclusively in handheld mode (and plan on playing Odyssey this way also) and I'm wondering if you guys think I'm insane.

I just don't trust the launch dock.

I've been meaning to try Turn A Gundam for about a decade, I need to finally do that. Been ages since I've watched any Gundam shows.

Also: Apparently saying "fuck" on Star Trek is a thing now, lol. Just what the franchise was missing!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I've been playing my Switch exclusively in handheld mode (and plan on playing Odyssey this way also) and I'm wondering if you guys think I'm insane.

That's how I've been playing it.

Though I also use the dock for charging.

Stoze

I'm interested to hear why you wanna go Pro? You're obviously not alone in doing so, but I've never really understood why people feel it's necessary - particularly at that cost. Potential dpad issues aside, Joycons are legitimately some of my favorite controllers.
I'm more interested in hearing how they're one of your favorites. My quick and dirty criticisms;

-Sticks directly beneath/above buttons is bad ergonomic design
-Sticks are too small and "clicky"
-Grip puts them way too close together so hand feels a kind of cramped, and separated they feel too light and small for each hand
-The grip shell doesn't have a comfortable shape for fitting your hands either
-No d-pad, face buttons aren't a good replacement
-Triggers and bumpers aren't great

Overall outside of the gyro and rumble they feel cheap and not very comfortable. An understandable compromise considering what the Switch is going for, but one that makes it so Joycons can't even come close to competing with a decent controller imo. At least they don't give me hand cramps like the 3DS XL though.

The only Gundam series I was near completely bored with were Turn A, and After War. They became more interesting once in space but by then I had checked out.

I’m interested to hear why you wanna go Pro? You’re obviously not alone in doing so, but I’ve never really understood why people feel it’s necessary - particularly at that cost. Potential dpad issues aside, Joycons are legitimately some of my favorite controllers.

EDIT:

You say this as if Austin hasn’t talked about specific moments from it before and also as if, as someone who’s never watched Gundam but has seen people reccomend shows a lot, 08th MS Team isn’t the most common thing people recommend.

I'm mostly screwing around. I like it, too.

Ashby

Tomino can't write dialog or characters worth shit, it's like watching a bunch of people give parallel monologues about whatever bizarre issues he had in his head during production. Imagawa is a damn master storyteller compared to him.

I like the 0079 movie trilogy (probably my favorite Gundam entry really) and Zeta a lot. Besides, there's great UC stuff that didn't have any involvement from Tomino.

swimbuff

I’m 33 years old. While I don’t think I’m that old, I identity more with GB as opposed to other gaming sites that skew younger.

They’ve got a few interesting articles but a lot of Waypoint is alien to me. Which I feel sad about because I dearly miss Austin and Patrick’s writing/opinions.

Antiwhippy

I'm more interested in hearing how they're one of your favorites. My quick and dirty criticisms;

-Grip puts them way too close together so hand feels a kind of cramped, and separated they feel too light and small for each hand

Overall outside of the gyro and rumble they feel cheap and not very comfortable. An understandable compromise considering what the Switch is going for, but one that makes it so Joycons can't even come close to competing with a decent controller imo. At least they don't give me hand cramps like the 3DS XL though.

Counterpoint.

FdEahlg.jpg

I don't actually do this.

Stoze

Counterpoint.

I don't actually do this.
Don't get me wrong, I like playing in handheld. That's where they make the most sense, as part of a handheld console. Like the 3DS, DS, Gameboys, etc., you generally wouldn't think to compare those with the comfort of modern controllers since they are an entire console, and if you did they wouldn't match up.

Like what's better, a 360 controller or the sides of a giant 3DS ripped off

BTA

I pretty much exclusively play handheld/split joycon with screen mode in bed. To the point that I can distinctly think of the few times I’ve used the dock. I’m not afraid of scratching as much as I’ve just never really felt the need to play on a TV.

-I guess it’s not ideal but I’ve never really had a problem with it; I don’t see how it’s distinctly different than, say, the Vita? (though I only mention it because I’m looking at mine right now)
-Understandable but I personally am totally fine with the “click”; the smallness is an issue sometimes though
-I have never felt a need to use the Grip for these reasons; I will totally agree it’s bad
-No dpad definitely isn’t ideal but I also haven’t had too much trouble with this yet (I will admit I’d probably buy a left joycon with a dpad though)
-I haven’t had any issues with the triggers/bumpers beyond being a little bothered at first that they were so small that I couldn’t have fingers on both at once

Basically, they do feel comfortable to me and being able to play with them split is amazing in a way that overcomes any of those little issues. Using them split feels great and works particularly well when you have rumble and gyro in the mix.

Which is also to say that if you don’t like them split for some reason and actually play on a TV I guess I can get the problem because the Grip does suck.

but if you don’t like playing with them split you’re probably some sort of soulless monster

I'm mostly screwing around. I like it, too.

I shoulda made it clearer that I wasn’t being too serious either, hah.

That surprised me. As I recall they started seriously skimping on the music licensing in the latter Gundam Warriors games, which made them feel even more cheap then they already were. No G Gundam is garbage though.

Well the mechs are there so i would assume they would get some of the music.

From what i remember i liked the G Gundam music but i will also admit that gonna any fond memories are gonna be overridden by mostly Wing music because Wing was what got me into Gundam.

G Gundam IS garbage though.

Eh i treat them as 2 separate things.

UC stuff and non UC (AC) with the former being the story based political stuff and the latter being much more cotton candy, cookie cutter stories.

I think UC is alright but i honestly don't care as much and its maybe because i refuse to watch Original Gundam because its looks like fucking ass and early Amuro Ray was a whiny piece of shit

Antiwhippy

Don't get me wrong, I like playing in handheld. That's where they make the most sense, as part of a handheld console. Like the 3DS, DS, Gameboys, etc., you generally wouldn't think to compare those with the comfort of modern controllers since they are an entire console, and if you did they wouldn't match up.

Like what's better, a 360 controller or the sides of a giant 3DS ripped off

I dunno, I actually found split joycon to be more comfortable than most controllers.

They just let me rest my hands however I want to.

Most Gundam series are bad. G Gundam is one of the better ones though, it pulls off being flagrantly and deliberately ridiculous quite well.

I just like pulling out seed to annoy Gundam fans.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The New Colossus marketing stuff is starting to feel really tricky to me. Because on the one hand it is very much a marketing team taking advantage of a fairly horrific state of modern events to promote an upcoming video game product.
But on the other hand TNC was already looking like it was going to be commentary on Nazism and right wing violence in America prior to any of this shit getting this bad (the inclusion of the KKK and the Marxist rebel were decisions definitely made ages ago, and both of those things clearly signify that the developers actually have more thought in this thing than just "nazis = bad") and a game being loudly political is a thing I want to support

The New Colossus marketing stuff is starting to feel really tricky to me. Because on the one hand it is very much a marketing team taking advantage of a fairly horrific state of modern events to promote an upcoming video game product.
But on the other hand TNC was already looking like it was going to be commentary on Nazism and right wing violence in America prior to any of this shit getting this bad (the inclusion of the KKK and the Marxist rebel were decisions definitely made ages ago, and both of those things clearly signify that the developers actually have more thought in this thing than just "nazis = bad") and a game being loudly political is a thing I want to support

True

But I mean, the message is fuck Nazis. It would be bad if Bethesda shied away from that message. It's fine if their message is "Fuck nazis, not my America" because the fact that you have so many snowflakes being triggered by it, means it's working. And right now mroe than ever, it's important for various media to make this stand, whether or not it 'feels' exploitative. News Agencies are the worst at this, some of them will peddle 'both sides' rhetoric and that is really dangerous and disingenuous.

So I applaud Bethesda because...well, if they don't make a clear stand, who will? They have some clout-Skyrim and Fallout are, after all, some of the biggest games this past generation. So they have eyes and ears trained on them.

I definitely like playing my switch handheld, but I don't defend the button/stick placement on the joycons. definitely not the most comfortable in a game where you have to go back and forth like Splatoon.

The Technomancer

True

But I mean, the message is fuck Nazis. It would be bad if Bethesda shied away from that message. It's fine if their message is "Fuck nazis, not my America" because the fact that you have so many snowflakes being triggered by it, means it's working. And right now mroe than ever, it's important for various media to make this stand, whether or not it 'feels' exploitative. News Agencies are the worst at this, some of them will peddle 'both sides' rhetoric and that is really dangerous and disingenuous.

So I applaud Bethesda because...well, if they don't make a clear stand, who will? They have some clout-Skyrim and Fallout are, after all, some of the biggest games this past generation. So they have eyes and ears trained on them.
Yeah I also landed on this: I'm okay with Brands being anti-Nazi even if its to sell me stuff, it helps renormalize things

Most of the political commentary is coming from people exposing themselves as sympathizers of Nazism. Bethesda's marketing hasn't really gone beyond the base "killing Nazis is fine."

Stoze

I dunno, I actually found split joycon to be more comfortable than most controllers.

Basically, they do feel comfortable to me and being able to play with them split is amazing in a way that overcomes any of those little issues. Using them split feels great and works particularly well when you have rumble and gyro in the mix.
I think ya'll are crazy, but thanks for hearing my criticisms. And I'm guessing you saved yourselves $70.

The kicker is generally when I've purchased controllers it's specifically been for another person to play, or so I could use one on PC, so it's hard for me to come to terms with plopping down that much solely for myself and my comfort when I'm on a budget.

The Technomancer

Most of the political commentary is coming from people exposing themselves as sympathizers of Nazism. Bethesda's marketing hasn't really gone beyond the base "killing Nazis is fine."

Its this most recent bit of marketing, which is a 10 second video that says "If you are a Nazi GTFO" and a clip of a Nazi getting clobbered in the face in clear reference to Richard Spencer that pushed me to comment. Its cheeky and I sort of love it, I think?

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/919684333207568385

I just like pulling out seed to annoy Gundam fans.

One of the things i'm really interested in checking out the joycons cuz they seem like they wouldn't work well for me.

IIRC SEED is decent though and i personally liked how it was like a retelling of UC Gundam but with the modern crazy Gundam shit from the AC Gundams (Wing, G, 00, etc).

If you said SEED Destiny instead...

Joeku

True

Y'know, I'm actually gonna agree with Breezy here. It's opportunistic to take this stand, but not taking one at all in the marketing would be fucking weird, The meat of the project is anti-Nazi, and going hard on it in marketing is just really obvious, but considering how fucked up the US is right now, it's still valuable.

Jintor

nah i play almost all of my switch on the train, in bed, or propped up on my tablet stand while at my PC. (Though if I had a hdmi connector on my second monitor I would probably use that)

Y'know, I'm actually gonna agree with Breezy here. It's opportunistic to take this stand, but not taking one at all in the marketing would be fucking weird, The meat of the project is anti-Nazi, and going hard on it in marketing is just really obvious, but considering how fucked up the US is right now, it's still valuable.

I think there's an extremely fine line between hamming it up too much and just...advertising what the game was about.

They've probably slightly kicked it up a notch because of the current climate, but I have to imagine that if the world was "normal" again" they'd still be advertising this the same exact way. It's a game about Nazis taking over the U.S. What else can your messaging be?

Joeku

Hey I just got to that mission in Shadow of War where you have to purify six towers back in
Minas Morgul
, and fuck that entire thing. Fuck the boosts the enemy captains have, fuck the weird growling everyone does, and fuck the bad checkpointing that puts me back at 0/6 after I've already taken down four of them. What a fucking trial this bullshit it.

Aselith

Aug Lives Matter was exploitative of social issues. Using your marketing to proclaim "fuck these Nazis" as a company is not imo. In one case, you are trying to appear to be "woke" but not have anything to say on it.

Wolfensteins marketers have a pretty simple but still important message that also ties into their game out of the box. Their message is the same one that this game has always had, it's just more poingant now due to the times we are living in.

Like, Inglorious Basterds had the same message and it was not controversial because the world hadn't gone insane yet.

Its this most recent bit of marketing, which is a 10 second video that says "If you are a Nazi GTFO" and a clip of a Nazi getting clobbered in the face in clear reference to Richard Spencer that pushed me to comment. Its cheeky and I sort of love it, I think?

https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/919684333207568385

Yeah, that's a pretty specific reference, but even then the outrage against it is from people confirming the link rather than from people saying "I'm not a Nazis or white supremacist."

Joeku

I think there's an extremely fine line between hamming it up too much and just...advertising what the game was about.

They've probably slightly kicked it up a notch because of the current climate, but I have to imagine that if the world was "normal" again" they'd still be advertising this the same exact way. It's a game about Nazis taking over the U.S. What else can your messaging be?
I'm not sure if they would have gone as in on it as they did if it weren't for the current climate. They're marketing this game really hard. If nazism weren't back on the rise in the US, I could easily imagine TNC having a few trailers before release and little else.

There's no doubt in my mind that Bethesda is expecting extra sales, thus justifying the extra marketing campaign, because a lot of people are in a nazi killin' mood in 2017.

Like, Inglorious Basterds had the same message and it was not controversial because the world hadn't gone insane yet.

God, imagine how good and cathartic Inglorious Basterds would have been if it came out today instead of half a decade ago. The gifs don't even do it justice.

Jintor

this minute's hot takes:
a) fuck nazis
b) my favourite way to use joycons that is impossible with other controllers is to place the switch unit in front of you propped up on something lie on your stomach like a diseased mullet, place your hands w/joycons behind your back, and play golf story as if you're about to die but just have to get one last hole in before you go

it is comfortable for about half a minute but it sure is novel as fuck

Joeku

this minute's hot takes:
a) fuck nazis
b) my favourite way to use joycons that is impossible with other controllers is to place the switch unit in front of you propped up on something lie on your stomach like a diseased mullet, place your hands w/joycons behind your back, and play golf story as if you're about to die but just have to get one last hole in before you go

it is comfortable for about half a minute but it sure is novel as fuck

Imagine if Wolfenstein on Switch let you carve a swastika into a forehead, slowly and deliberately and specifically, while they screamed and screamed.

d1da8282b86dada0597aabff5a7cca59.gif

Its going to work also. I mean replaying TNO earlier this year helped, but god help me on October 27th I'm going to spend 120 US dollars

I've got a buy a Switch, Mario, and Wolfenstein on that day. I'm gonna be $580+tax Canadian dollars in the whole there. Blegh.

Jintor

austin + patrick actually have this really interesting take on that chainsaw torture scene in wolf:tno in waypoint 101 which basically boils down to 'fuck nazis, but i still felt preeeeeetty squeamish about this one' (to paraphrase greatly)

though joe i dunno if carving a swastika into someone's head is a nazi thing or an anti-nazi thing. i guess it's a bad look either way

The Technomancer

austin + patrick actually have this really interesting take on that chainsaw torture scene in wolf:tno in waypoint 101 which basically boils down to 'fuck nazis, but i still felt preeeeeetty squeamish about this one' (to paraphrase greatly)

My problem with torture scenes boils down pretty much entirely to "we know torture doesn't actually work we have the science on this we have to stop driving the narrative that it does "

Joeku

And for that they were kinda weak. The game requiring you to grab safety gear, and then have a stab-off with the nazi commander, was frankly hilarious. That hilarity mixed with the solemnity of the scenes surrounding it is exactly why TNO was a fantastic game.

Joeku

i'm spending $60 on that day for mario, not trying to put money into robert trump's pockets for wolfenstein

If he seemed to be directly supporting the current administration I'd be in agreement with you on the latter thing, but chairpeople being shitty is a part of consumerism I've long since gotten past dealing with to be able to support this hobby.

Antiwhippy

And for that they were kinda weak. The game requiring you to grab safety gear, and then have a stab-off with the nazi commander, was frankly hilarious. That hilarity mixed with the solemnity of the scenes surrounding it is exactly why TNO was a fantastic game.

Dude, some people just don't like excessive gore. I don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom