• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Viper

I got to the half-way point of my TNO replay when I remembered how the second half kinda drops in quality with the bit on the moon and those terrible boss fights and decided to just stop. Doesn't help the PC port was a trash heap.

Can't wait for the new one though!

Joeku

Dude, some people just don't like excessive gore. I don't like it.

That scene wasn't particularly gory? Or am I misremembering?

It cuts away before BJ actually takes the chainsaw to him, IIRC.

Edit: Also, the entire game has you literally blowing nazis into blood-spewing gibs. The cutscenes are relatively light on this. If you don't want gore, don't play Wolfenstein.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh trust me, that's why I'm going to wait and see on this one.

The pipe in the Old Blood is some of the grossest things I've seen.

Joeku

Oh trust me, that's why I'm going to wait and see on this one.

The pipe in the Old Blood is some of the grossest things I've seen.

Yeah it reminds me of the GB comments about Black Ops 2, a bit.

But for what it's worth, I wasn't saying Vice was weak because it couldn't handle the gore, I'm saying they were weak because they couldn't grok with the sick irony of the situation of having to torture a nazi captain for information. It's some dark as fuck satire.

Edit: Even that first E3 danke schoen trailer has BH shoulder charging Nazis into little bits. Did that turn you off the game, Anti? Just curious.

Jintor

That scene wasn't particularly gory? Or am I misremembering?

It cuts away before BJ actually takes the chainsaw to him, IIRC.

Edit: Also, the entire game has you literally blowing nazis into blood-spewing gibs. The cutscenes are relatively light on this. If you don't want gore, don't play Wolfenstein.

gore (reaction) is contextual. Gibs in gameplay are almost always super cartoony, gibs in cutscenes can go either way

Antiwhippy

Eh, depends. At some point gore kinda just wraps around that it breaks me out of the immersion and I can just shrug it off, but some stuff gets a little too "realistic" for me.

For example, the bullet through the head scene in the evil within quick look. I don't really need that kind of imagery in my life.

BTA

Yeah it reminds me of the GB comments about Black Ops 2, a bit.

But for what it's worth, I wasn't saying Vice was weak because it couldn't handle the gore, I'm saying they were weak because they couldn't grok with the sick irony of the situation of having to torture a nazi captain for information. It's some dark as fuck satire.

Edit: Even that first E3 danke schoen trailer has BH shoulder charging Nazis into little bits. Did that turn you off the game, Anti? Just curious.

I mean call it what you will but torture scenes make me super uncomfortable regardless of any satirical reasoning behind them. I don’t know the exact context here, but I can say I’m pretty much never gonna go “yeah, this scene definitely needed to be here!” when playing a torture scene due to how incredibly uncomfortable it makes me, often without any particular reason beyond shocking the player.

I’ll get to TNO at some point still. It’s been sitting on my PS4 hard drive for quite a while. Was hoping to get around to it soon (well, I’ve meant to get around to it “soon” for a while too, but...) due to everyone talking about + the Waypoint podcasts but 2manygames.

Eh, depends. At some point gore kinda just wraps around that it breaks me out of the immersion and I can just shrug it off, but some stuff gets a little too "realistic" for me.

For example, the bullet through the head scene in the evil within quick look. I don't really need that kind of imagery in my life.

Yeah, this too. That kind of imagery... I can see it’s usage, particularly in horror games, making more sense, but when used casually it just makes me uncomfortable in a different way where I resent its usage.

Joeku

I don't think I remember terrible boss fights in TNO?

Closest I can think of, beside the end, is riding the mech after Eisenwald. Sorta boss-fighty.

And Anti, look, you're a fan of Nier Automata. That game makes you feel bad for all the beings you kill, because of course they're sentient and reasoning and whatever else. That empathy is important.

The enemies of Wolfenstein are sentient and reasoning as well, but they took the wrong path. They intentionally became bad. It wasn't forced onto them. They doubled down on being terrible; have consciously decided to be awful because of their terrible notions of superiority. They deserve what's coming to them:

https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/890620163493515264

I mean call it what you will but torture scenes make me super uncomfortable regardless of any satirical reasoning behind them. I don't know the exact context here, but I can say I'm pretty much never gonna go ”yeah, this scene definitely needed to be here!" when playing a torture scene due to how incredibly uncomfortable it makes me, often without any particular reason beyond shocking the player.
Look, this is going to sound dismissive, but there isn't a torture scene you enact as the player in TNO. They cut away. This isn't GTAV with its weird tasteless shit. To me it felt entirely stylized and timed to make you feel the least remorse you could for the man about to be tortured, but spare you the actual scene. Let me find the scene in question and you tell me what you think.

Edit: Here it is from the beginning. This is really early in the game, it's not much of a spoiler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEIVEkW5qLs

def sim

I got to the half-way point of my TNO replay when I remembered how the second half kinda drops in quality with the bit on the moon and those terrible boss fights and decided to just stop. Doesn't help the PC port was a trash heap.

The PC version is typically considered the best one. What problem did you have?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I said it on the bottom of the last page but I'm never going to ever be down with torture interrogation scenes no matter who the subject is because it drives home the narrative that torture works, and we need to carve that out of our public consciousness with a knife and burn it

Jintor

I said it on the bottom of the last page but I'm never going to ever be down with torture interrogation scenes no matter who the subject is because it drives home the narrative that torture works, and we need to carve that out of our public consciousness with a knife and burn it

what about mind torture tho

(xcom and shadows of war are pretty funny but I guess at least neither are 'you are explicitly the hero-ass heroes')

Joeku

Like, I want to agree. I really do. But when it's literal nazis whose humanity I'm defiling? And doing so to save the lives of people who would otherwise suffer and die under them?

tumblr_ounvhux0Xl1r1ult6o2_500.gif

what about mind torture tho

(xcom and shadows of war are pretty funny but I guess at least neither are 'you are explicitly the hero-ass heroes')

Man the first Mordor was so much better at being a black metal album in video game form. Like Vinny noticed, the Orcs in SoM have so much culture and liveliness; it really makes the enslavement more fucked up in a way I don't think the devs intended.

J_Viper

The What's Good Games has become my second favorite podcast behind the Bomb Squad. Definitely check them out if you haven't already.

The PC version is typically considered the best one. What problem did you have?

It looks poor, even on Max settings, though that's more of an art design issue, and it's locked to 60 fps.
Normally that isn't the end of the world, but here it feels much more sluggish.

If there is a reason to worry about the new Wolfenstein it's that the Old Blood was kind of bad.
Aside from the stealth sections, the first half was solid.
It's the second act, with the zombies and that awful boss fight, where they dropped the ball.

I'm not worried about Wolf 2 though. Everything they've showed so far looks stellar.

Jintor

correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't a popular reading of inglorious bastards about how easy it was to buy into a propaganda that dehumanised an enemy group

Joeku

To be absolutely clear: if Wolfenstein was a game as system-heavy as something like the Mordor games, and "Torture" was an option when capturing a character, I'd never use it. But the narrative, singular-direction game put a suggested torture scene into itself and made it as relatively mild as it could. For what it's worth, it seems the hint of torture broke the character in the chair, and then they were just killed before being tortured. It definitely feels different to be a participant in a scene unequivocally leading up to a torture versus actively being a torturer.

correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't a popular reading of inglorious bastards about how easy it was to buy into a propaganda that dehumanised an enemy group

Can you clarify? Because this kinda reads like "it's all too easy to hate nazis after watching IB" and I know that's not what you're saying.

The movie absolutely went out of its way to make the nazis the bad guys. The opening twenty minutes are a treatise on bigotry, and it just expands from there.

Jintor

just what i recall of critical discourse at the time about the movie? I don't know, i never watched it, so I can't speak as to it. I just thought I remembered that reading being thrown around.

Joeku

just what i recall of critical discourse at the time about the movie? I don't know, i never watched it, so I can't speak as to it. I just thought I remembered that reading being thrown around.

The movie really doesn't try to humanize them too much. There are two prominent characters who are nazis in the movie (not counting Hitler or Goebbels) and both of them are very reprehensible and hateful. There's a good reason that Christoph Waltz became famous off this -- he was a fucking fantastic antagonist.

And no, there is no "painting a people as all the same is bad" message. The movie doesn't judge Germans, it judges nazis. There are scenes where they are not entirely terrible, but yet they are nazis and they die. Like other Tarantino stuff, it has some exploitation roots where death is a stylistic choice to resolve things that may not have needed it. It just plays really well in this film.

Like, there are some super cathartic gifs I could post, but they're worth earning with the movie. You should see it.

And if the Mordor games were smarter, they'd take this approach to the orcs instead of what they have; make them more hateable and thus not make the enslavement of them at all a bit worrying.

I feel like in inglourious basterds their revenge quest is shown to be entirely self-destructive?

I mean...no?
They literally explode after shooting Hitler, Goebbels, and Goebbels' mistress to death, but the revenge isn't self-destructive, it's a suicide mission.
The Basterds aren't losing anything in targeting Nazis the way they are, they're just extreme about their methods. They aren't dehumanizing themselves, because they aren't targeting humans. Remember, "nazi ain't got no humanity".

Antiwhippy

I mean...no?
They literally explode after shooting Hitler, Goebbels, and Goebbels' mistress to death, but the revenge isn't self-destructive, it's a suicide mission.
The Basterds aren't losing anything in targeting Nazis the way they are, they're just extreme about their methods. They aren't dehumanizing themselves, because they aren't targeting humans. Remember, "nazi ain't got no humanity".

More like the stuff with Shoshana or something?

I dunno, it's been ages since I watched it.

robotrock

Banned
What if a new Blade Runner comes out in 2049 and it's just called Blade Runner?

what if a new blade runner comes out in two years and it's just called blade runner

edit: nevermind, just realizing now the blade runner set in 2019 is already just called blade runner

Joeku

More like the stuff with Shoshana or something?

I dunno, it's been ages since I watched it.

Shoshana only decided to burn everything down because she wanted that sweet Jewish revenge. She wasn't turning herself into a lesser thing by doing it at all; it was a power move, in fact.

And really, you should watch it again. It's a fantastic movie. The best of Tarantino's, IMO. If you can't trust Joeku's advice, who can you trust?

Shoshana only decided to burn everything down because she wanted that sweet Jewish revenge. She wasn't turning herself into a lesser thing by doing it at all; it was a power move, in fact.

And really, you should watch it again. It's a fantastic movie. The best of Tarantino's, IMO. If you can't trust Joeku's advice, who can you trust?

My advice! And I say watch that. And the Producers.

Antiwhippy

I mean you can hack robots in nier automata and take over them.

They're usually more depressing. But also hilarious.

FluxWaveZ

Were they actually shitting on SFV for offering a way to buy characters with in game rewards?

Just listened to this part of the bombcast and yes, they did. The whole street fighter segment was rough to listen to

Late reply, but I got to that part of the Bombcast and it's really frustrating. Paying for extra characters is a reality in any modern fighting game, but the fact that Capcom actually let people get them for free via Fight Money is a problem? What? I got every single DLC character in SFV for free, and it's great.

And now Capcom is going to take that lesson to heart and never allow people to get DLC characters for free again because it'll be something else for people to complain about. And other companies will follow suit. Great job.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Like, I want to agree. I really do. But when it's literal nazis whose humanity I'm defiling? And doing so to save the lives of people who would otherwise suffer and die under them?

But even when you're torturing them, you're not getting good information. Because we know that torture doesn't provide good information. That's all I'm trying to say

Joeku

But even when you're torturing them, you're not getting good information. Because we know that torture doesn't provide good information. That's all I'm trying to say

The one torture scene in TNO literally does provide good information and doesn't show you (or really present at all) any torture. The threat of torture gives you good information in Wolfenstein and that's genuinely factual, if not maybe uncomfortable for some.

So, you're wrong, unfortunately. In some media torturing nazis can produce positive results.

The one torture scene in TNO literally does provide good information and doesn't show you (or really present at all) any torture. The threat of torture gives you good information in Wolfenstein and that's genuinely factual, if not maybe uncomfortable for some.

So, you're wrong, unfortunately. In some media torturing nazis can produce positive results.

I think it's the idea that torturing can provide good information, when real studies have shown that torturing in fact, does not provide good info, because a person under duress will say anything to get out of the torture.

So the torture scene in TNO gives the false idea that torture works, when in fact it doesn't work.

But it's a nazi so you know.

Joeku

I think it's the idea that torturing can provide good information, when real studies have shown that torturing in fact, does not provide good info, because a person under duress will say anything to get out of the torture.

So the torture scene in TNO gives the false idea that torture works, when in fact it doesn't work.

But it's a nazi so you know.

The whole thing is trading on exploitation filmmaking, so taking it as genuine is wrong-headed in the first place.

Should have just mind controlled him

Now if BJ could grab nazis by the side of the head and an adjoined Jewish ghost would say "Suffer me now!" that would be something else fantastic entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom