• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telfo

I've been replaying XCOM: Enemy Within lately and man....they are so not ready for what's coming. I fear what happens when they hit an EXALT mission

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been replaying XCOM: Enemy Within lately and man....they are so not ready for what's coming. I fear what happens when they hit an EXALT mission

TBF they have lasted beyond what I expected already so everything from now on is just gravy.

daveo42

Banned
I just wish they would add Nier as a digital download on PSN, I really wanna play that before going in Nier Automata.

Just play Automata and go back to Nier later if they ever release it digitally or on PC. I appreciated what it without seeing as many of the negatives or just glossing them over. I think if I had played it at release, I would have dropped it fairly fast. Also, I wouldn't have felt bad if I had stopped early and just watched the endings on youtube due to the nature of how you get all the endings. I didn't, but I can easily see why a good chuck of people would.

TBF they have lasted beyond what I expected already so everything from now on is just gravy.

I said they wouldn't make it past episode 10 and I was wrong, but I'm pretty surprised they have considering their play. Does XCOM have some kind of hidden adaptive difficulty modifier based on performance?

Just catching up on some Murder Island videos and was wondering who Jeff was talking about when they said that a chicken dinner would've been easier to get if they had a few people who weren't on their team.

Was he calling out Dan?

Antiwhippy

I said they wouldn't make it past episode 10 and I was wrong, but I'm pretty surprised they have considering their play. Does XCOM have some kind of hidden adaptive difficulty modifier based on performance?

It definitely feels like there's definitely some fuzziness. Especially the terror mission where all they faced were 2 chryssalids that ran out of the fog of war and into an entire squad overwatch where every soldier hit their overwatch shot. :p

Harpuia

It definitely feels like there's definitely some fuzziness. Especially the terror mission where all they faced were 2 chryssalids that ran out of the fog of war and into an entire squad overwatch where every soldier hit their overwatch shot. :p

To my knowledge, the only things the games do is give you aim bonuses for missing too many times in a row, and limit the number of enemy pods and pod sizes on each map. These are all based on chosen difficulty.

Oakinn

Pro Tip: When playing Cuphead its really best to be totally wrong about what you need to shoot at during a boss battle. It makes the game much easier when you finally figure it out.

During the bird battle, on the final phase, I thought i could only shoot the heart when it popped up. Kept getting killed with it at half health. Only by accident did i discover you drop the bombs on the asshole. I'm good at games

During the bird battle, on the final phase, I thought i could only shoot the heart when it popped up. Kept getting killed with it at half health. Only by accident did i discover you drop the bombs on the asshole. I'm good at games

Wouldn't it be in, and not on?

2969302-hob.jpg

Quick Look: Hob
Sure, you've solved puzzles and cut grass with a sword, but what about doing those things with a giant golem arm?

Antiwhippy

Pro Tip: When playing Cuphead its really best to be totally wrong about what you need to shoot at during a boss battle. It makes the game much easier when you finally figure it out.

Probably has my favourite death animation of the whole game.

Shit gets dark.

Santiako

It really annoys me how Vinny keeps saying "I'm not telling you how to play or what to do" when he literally does that constantly. Like, Alex and Abby are just Vinny playing by proxy. Let them play!

It really annoys me how Vinny keeps saying "I'm not telling you how to play or what to do" when he literally does that constantly. Like, Alex and Abby are just Vinny playing by proxy. Let them play!

Every episode is loaded with moments where Vinny suggests something and then whoever's playing does it. It's their prerogative, but I would enjoy it a bit more if Vinny didn't have as much of a say in shit. It'd make his reactions to shit going sideways that much sweeter.

I can't really blame Vinny for not wanting his feature to be over in a hurry.

I'd rather have a premature end to the XCOM leg of the feature than an exquisite corpse that's 85% drawn by Vinny. It kind of goes against the whole spirit of the feature.

Curufinwe

I can't really blame Vinny for not wanting his feature to be over in a hurry.

BTA

Haven’t watched today’s yet; did Vinny ever make that ability reference sheet he said he was going to?

Something like that's probably a better way to help. I don’t really mind him being hands-on, but it usually has to do with them forgetting basic mechanics or misunderstanding abilities (again). Which makes sense because they’re not playing for weeks at a time. They really should have a video/list/something of basic mechanics and everyone’s abilities that they sit down and look over before they play again so they come in referenced? Particularly as Vinny tends to forget/miss some of that too.

The problem is Alex is very indecisive and he's only seeing 1 in 3 episodes - the one he's on. So he turns to Vinny, who's supposed to know shit. But yeah it totally is just Vinny playing by proxy.

Stoze

There's not really, I think we just underestimated how easy Medium difficulty is and forgot that early game is the hardest, especially when they had no clue how to play starting out.

Every episode is loaded with moments where Vinny suggests something and then whoever's playing does it. It's their prerogative, but I would enjoy it a bit more if Vinny didn't have as much of a say in shit. It'd make his reactions to shit going sideways that much sweeter.

I'd rather have a premature end to the XCOM leg of the feature than an exquisite corpse that's 85% drawn by Vinny. It kind of goes against the whole spirit of the feature.
I get this complaint when Vinny gives misinformation/bad advice that leads to drastic consequences (the Abby wipe), but for the most part it's just 2 people playing cooperatively and enjoying themselves. Sure that doesn't fit square with the premise of the feature, but a good way to ruin anything is taking an initial conception as gospel. Unless you'd rather have Vinny staying silent the whole time to the point where it just feels like one person playing? Or cracking jokes and going off-topic to the point where the game doesn't become the focus i.e. Blue Bombin'?

Harpuia

I love that dirt bike is a cat girl robot. And how Abby basically treats her like her actual cat. If this isn't canon it's my exquisite corps head canon.

Also they misunderstand/misuse run and gun for perhaps the 4th time this run.

BTA

Pyre would be awesome, ("You sent who back?") but its not a super long game.
The Banner Saga fits, but its another isometric tactics game

Ooooooooh Darkest Dungeon, it has to be Darkest Dungeon!

I love Pyre but I think it’d be weird to have one person
suddenly learn about the plan and just tell the others after
; plus not playing consistently might just lead to a lot of losses.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I actually think Darkest Dungeon is the right answer here. Completely different tone and gameplay but with the same permadeath and high level strategy dynamics

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I actually think Darkest Dungeon is the right answer here. Completely different tone and gameplay but with the same permadeath and high level strategy dynamics

Only problem with Darkest Dungeon is that there is no "Game Over". They could loose everybody and the game would just keep going since you can just do easier missions to level up lower level guys again.
Unless they come up with a rule that they can only loose so many characters, there is little to no tension

BTA

Hot update from FatT’s Discord regarding the potential issues with group size and such for the Beastcast holiday game:

Austin Walker said:
I have a very good idea for this year’s special, do not even worry

it’s an Austin game idea so I’m scared but also very excited

I love that it wouldn't actually be surprising if an Automata follow-up were set like 50,000 years in the future and based off one of the throwaway joke endings.

Caught up on Six Crazy Frights. Guess I should dive into Exquisite Corps next.

Wunder

XCorps should be Vinny in the other room providing commentary and answering critical questions while the actual commanders play and make mistakes

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think Grimrock could technically work, but I really think Darkest Dungeon would work the best
Also I can't get enough of that announcer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom