• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunder

Yea that's not fun looking and just giving yourself a disadvantage for no reason

I'm curious to try it. I was in the camp of thinking 1PP petitioners were dumb but I kind of see their point. There are multiple times, particularly in city fights but also in sparsely wooded areas, where someone has a positional advantage on you that you simply cannot defeat. Be it sitting next to stairs with a shotgun, having two trees opposite each other with no cover in between or peeking over a wall - the third person perspective offers an incredible defensive advantage. Sometimes it's due to the player's tactical maneuvers, but sometimes its just completely random, and a new circle happens to land on his tree rather than mine. I have no other option but to run out into open ground and take a hugely disadvantageous fight.

In first person, they'd have to actively be peeking and looking at me to know where I'm moving, instead of having the tree as cover to happily pre-aim at where I'm running to and then simply popping out and gunning me down. I don't know if the camping issue will be solved, but at the very least it will force players to look through windows and above walls so that the people from the outside can at least see them, without the safety of cover.

imBask

Banned
Custom game made by the community bruh

I get that but still... This is honestly something I have a hard time wrapping my head around

The physics are wonky, the mechanics are ok, the shooting feels pretty good, the inventory is passable at best. What makes the game great is the concept and the tension and way the matches play out.

Why are people trying to shoehorn a billion things into that game now that it's popular? Can't we just leave the game alone for what it is? Play something else if you want something else... If you want a Car Racing Sim you don't play Overwatch and then ask Blizzard to shoehorn a racing mode in there right?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm curious to try it. I was in the camp of thinking 1PP petitioners were dumb but I kind of see their point. There are multiple times, particularly in city fights but also in sparsely wooded areas, where someone has a positional advantage on you that you simply cannot defeat. Be it sitting next to stairs with a shotgun, having two trees opposite each other with no cover in between or peeking over a wall - the third person perspective offers an incredible defensive advantage. Sometimes it's due to the player's tactical maneuvers, but sometimes its just completely random, and a new circle happens to land on his tree rather than mine. I have no other option but to run out into open ground and take a hugely disadvantageous fight.

In first person, they'd have to actively be peeking and looking at me to know where I'm moving, instead of having the tree as cover to happily pre-aim at where I'm running to and then simply popping out and gunning me down. I don't know if the camping issue will be solved, but at the very least it will force players to look through windows and above walls so that the people from the outside can at least see them, without the safety of cover.

That's only if you care about winning tho.

Strax

They also had first person in DayZ and nobody played that because it's stupid and bad. They're adding it because a vocal minority is being annoying but it'll be forgotten real fast, i'm not too worried

If a vocal minority can make a dev add features I'd be worried how the game is handled in the future.

Wunder

That's only if you care about winning tho.

I guess? It's also just a frustrating experience in general. The great thing about pubg for me is that you can have fun just by winning a few encounters. But if that last encounter ends with me just having to run at a dude who can see exactly where I am the entire time behind the safety of cover then that aint so fun

I get that but still... This is honestly something I have a hard time wrapping my head around

The physics are wonky, the mechanics are ok, the shooting feels pretty good, the inventory is passable at best. What makes the game great is the concept and the tension and way the matches play out.

Why are people trying to shoehorn a billion things into that game now that it's popular? Can't we just leave the game alone for what it is? Play something else if you want something else... If you want a Car Racing Sim you don't play Overwatch and then ask Blizzard to shoehorn a racing mode in there right?

If anything, it extends the life of games, to put in the tools for custom games (which are already in)

Look at a game like CS:Source. It had things like prop hunt, gun game, surfing, and many others that bolstered the game's community.

It'll be nice to just have fun with a silly mode before jumping into the more serious main part of the game. Since the devs won't be putting any time into making the modes, it won't effect the main game's development.

Also in the case of Blizzard, just look at how MOBAs became a thing because they allowed custom games for Warcraft.

imBask

Banned
You'd only have to count to three before "PUBG used to be so pure, and now it isn't anymore".

it's not about purity, it's more of : instead of having 1 great mode, you now have 3 terrible modes and 1 great mode

it hurts the brand

it's not about purity, it's more of : instead of having 1 great mode, you now have 3 terrible modes and 1 great mode

it hurts the brand

The game is literally made by a modder who only got to make PUBG because of the support of custom games in other IP's. I don't know what y'all expected.

imBask

Banned
If anything, it extends the life of games, to put in the tools for custom games (which are already in)

Look at a game like CS:Source. It had things like prop hunt, gun game, surfing, and many others that bolstered the game's community.

It'll be nice to just have fun with a silly mode before jumping into the more serious main part of the game. Since the devs won't be putting any time into making the modes, it won't effect the main game's development.

Also in the case of Blizzard, just look at how MOBAs became a thing because they allowed custom games for Warcraft.

But again, Warcraft had strong mechanics and so did CS:Source and people found concepts around those

this is the opposite, the mechanics aren't great but the concept is...

oti

Banned

it hurts the brand

At this point I think many people have a very specific idea of what PUBG is and what it should be. I remember how much people here hated zombies.

Wunder

One of the reasons why I find it hard to play OW for extended periods of time. There aren't any real modes where you can just jump in and fuck around for a bit. Every mode feels like it requires you to still play that same base game with a composition or you just end up getting steamrolled

imBask

Banned
At this point I think many people have a very specific idea of what PUBG is and what it should be. I remember how much people here hated zombies.

Zombies is a terrible fucking idea too omg why are they doing this

Just go play any of the boring zombie games GOD DANGIT BOBBY WHYYYY

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
give me a PUBG custom mode with teams, rounds and loadouts and I'd be all over it
Bleh no. All that shit is garbage. PUBG is pure savagery without bullshit load outs and rounds. Ugh, stale ass CoD gameplay.

imBask

Banned
My point is just that people need to stop trying to shoehorn what THEY like into what's popular just because they wanna be part of the hype

oti

Banned

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing here btw. I haven't played it yet. :D

I'm just really curious how the fanbase would react. This game has such a strong identity (despite being a game turned out of other mods, weirdly enough) that everything that breaks with that identity will be criticised no matter what.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Dan is right we need more controllers with air conditioners in them. I had one for the PS2 and it was amazing!

Valtýr

Do we know the specifics of what the zombie mode entails? Because I believe it;s not just PUBG with AI zombies. I assume it's like the current custom zombie mode (which is already in the game). Where there's one squad of players and the rest of the players can't pickup weapons and have increased melee damage and run speed.

Polygon did a stream recently playing that mode and seemed super cool and fun.

875707054027_anime-Lupin-the-3rd-The-Castle-of-Cagliostro-Blu-ray-Hyb-Collectors-Edition.jpg

What Dan should watch. My favorite Studio Ghibli film is Whisper of the Heart.

Strax

oti

Banned
Nobody is going to play it so it's the same either way.

That's my fear too.

Excuse this year: Fall is already so stacked, I don't have the time.
Excuse next year: After New Years I played more 2017 games and this is such a huge time commitment
and yesterday I played PUBG 5h straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom