• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

OK, anime people. I've got a question for you.

In the podcast they talked about how Castlevania had the Western Anime look or something. What does that mean? Can one distinguish Japanese and Western anime by its look? Is it that distinct?

Calling it "Western anime" is silly considering we got stuff like Vampire Hunter D and Berserk decades earlier that is of a similar realistic art style.

imBask

Banned
I mean... it would be pretty dumb to pass on PUBG when that's all they've been playing for a 1/12th of the year so far

Early access should be considered when they achieve a certain (arbitrary) threshold of qualtiy

Hasney

You buy a thing to get Early Access. Usually not with betas.

A lot of early access literally has beta version numbering. A lot of devs use it as test. If a beta has the same arbitrary quality as an Early Access game, it's the same thing under a different name.

I'm not talking about marketing betas like the walled off Destiny thing here. Like Minecraft was in beta for a longass time a d was more complete than a lot of early access.

I don't care if it's included or not either way, but there is no real difference between a beta and early access in the purest sense.

Yeah it's time for the "no early access games" restriction to go. It's completely arbitrary. The only thing that distinguishes a live service game from an Early Access game is the label. The only thing that should matter is "is this game worth the time/money", who cares if it's technically finished or not so long as the answer is yes?

LiK

You buy a thing to get Early Access. Usually not with betas.

It's still not considered a finished product tho and you're buying it early to basically beta test it for them as well. Seems similar to me. Altho yes, it's not the same as what we would associate with typical Betas.

I dunno, seems like they're gonna open the floodgates to all EA games if they do this. But whatever, it's their site. I enjoyed my brief time with PUBG and I enjoyed watching them play it but def not GOTY material for me.

oti

Banned
Yeah it's time for the "no early access games" restriction to go. It's completely arbitrary. The only thing that distinguishes a live service game from an Early Access game is the label. The only thing that should matter is "is this game worth the time/money", who cares if it's technically finished or not so long as the answer is yes?

EA literally means it's not done.
A live service game is a completely different affair.

The eligibility question will be an even bigger issue if they do it this way though. Is an early access game only now eligible when it first goes on early access? Or do early access games now just get a free window of eligibility every year until they are released?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean to be fair there aren't exactly a lot of early access games worth playing anyway.

You paid money, you played the game, that's all you need.

The eligibility question will be an even bigger issue if they do it this way though. Is an early access game only now eligible when it first goes one early access? Or do early access games now just get a free window of eligible every year until they are released?

This is only an issue if you think they'll give an award to a game two years in a row which they won't. And if they do it must be really fucking good. I don't see this as a problem at all. The more likely scenario is they don't give it the award this year because it's in EA, next year they don't care about it anymore and then it gets nothing. Lame.

I'll say it again: The only thing that should matter is "is this game worth the time/money", who cares if it's technically finished or not so long as the answer is yes? If PUBG is the best game they played this year it would be completely fucking inane to not give it recognition because it's technically unfinished or whatever.

oti

Banned
No it's not

EA = this game isn't done, but help us and buy it now
Live Service = this is 1.0, we're continuing development after launch

Some games might obscure that distinction but there's still a distinction.

You're not really arguing that Dead Cells and Destiny are the same thing, are you?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
EA literally means it's not done.
A live service game is a completely different affair.
What is "done"? it's completely arbitrary. Was Street Fighter V done when it came out? It was after your definition, but huge part of its content came months later.

I really think the argument of "you can buy it, so we can judge it" works very well. They can call it whatever they want.At the end of they day GotY is just about the last year in video games, so they should have rules that mirror that.

This is only an issue if you think they'll give an award to a game two years in a row which they won't.

GOTY is about more than just the winner. The question of eligibility needs to be addressed and either solution will either penalize early access games that launch raw or give them an extra window that other games don't get.

EA = this game isn't done, but help us and buy it now
Live Service = this is 1.0, we're continuing development after launch

Some games might obscure that distinction but there's still a distinction.

You're not really arguing that Dead Cells and Destiny are the same thing, are you?

What's the difference? They both add weapons, levels, and features post-launch. Yeah you can be pedantic and make a distinction but for the purposes of saying "here are the best games we played this year", why does that even matter?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Great, now they can talk even more about pubg due to whether it's eligible for their arbitrary games of the year awards. Great.

oti

Banned
What is "done"? it's completely arbitrary. Was Street Fighter V done when it came out? It was after your definition, but huge part of its content came months later.

I really think the argument of "you can buy it, so we can judge it" works very well. They can call it whatever they want.At the end of they day GotY is just about the last year in video games, so they should have rules that mirror that.

I agree GB is making this more difficult than it needs to be. But that's how Jeff's database brain works.

SFV was done in the sense that it was sold on launch day. It's completely different from an Early Access launch.

Antiwhippy

GOTY is about more than just the winner. The question of eligibility needs to be addressed and either solution will either penalize early access games that launch raw or give them an extra window that other games don't get.

If a non-early access game launched raw it probably doesn't have much chance there anyway.

I don't get this extra window argument in a world of constant updates and live games.

imBask

Banned
You guys are now talking like the GiantBomb GOTY discussion is the pinnacle of science

They could just include PUBG because they consider it's enough of a game already and call it a day

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
SFV was done in the sense that it was sold on launch day. It's completely different from an Early Access launch.
But how? Buying something that's still being worked on is what both of them were. It's just a label, but it works the exact same way.

oti

Banned
You guys are now talking like the GiantBomb GOTY discussion is the pinnacle of science

They could just include PUBG because they consider it's enough of a game already and call it a day

Jeff treats it like that. I don't think anyone on here would mind PUBG or any other EA game being eligible.

You keep saying it's completely different without saying why

SFV could've launched as it was in EA and it would be the exact same thing. They added entire features post-launch. Why is it different?

Like I get it, our lizard gamer brains are used to arbitrarily categorizing things, but think about this for more than 10 seconds. It's 100% arbitrary marketing shit.

If a non-early access game launched raw it probably doesn't have much chance there anyway.
Those games are supposed to be complete products though, early access games are inherently not. GiantBomb routinely penalizes games in these debates for releasing unfinished.
I don't get this extra window argument in a world of constant updates and live games.
Every other game only gets one year where it can be ranked. GOTY is for newly released games, not which service got the best updates.

LiK

Sure, but it was GB themselves who excluded EA games from GOTY before because of what it was. Which is why PUBG is gonna be an interesting game for them to debate about this year.

I'm honestly curious if Jeff is gonna allow it or not.

imBask

Banned
Sure, but it was GB themselves who excluded EA games from GOTY before because of what it was. Which is why PUBG is gonna be an interesting game for them to debate about this year.

I'm honestly curious if Jeff is gonna allow it or not.

They also ignored a game because the Wikipedia article made it look boring

Fun fact: In the 2010 GOTY discussions, Brad says "if they're charging money for it, we can put it on the list" in regards to Minecraft (which doesn't actually end up making it on any list).

This was obviously before Steam Early Access and things have changed a bit since then. Having played PUBG quite a bit, I don't have any issue with it being on their lists. It's basically a complete game.

Antiwhippy

Those games are supposed to be complete products though, early access games are inherently not. GiantBomb routinely penalizes games in these debates for releasing unfinished.

Every other game only gets one year where it can be ranked. GOTY is for newly released games, not which service got the best updates.

I mean if it's eligible for this year I'm going to assume that they're not going to make it eligible for next year.

Hasney

I like Alex saying it capture the year in games. I think that if No Mans Sky got a patch this year that blew people away and had everyone playing it, it should be eligible for GOTY this year.

oti

Banned
You keep saying it's completely different without saying why

SFV could've launched as it was in EA and it would be the exact same thing. They added entire features post-launch. Why is it different?

Like I get it, our lizard gamer brains are used to arbitrarily categorizing things, but think about this for more than 10 seconds. It's 100% arbitrary marketing shit.

A launch of a game in retail (physical and digital) is different from an EA launch. How is that not clear? One is done for launch, the other is by definition not done. Of course both games receive updates after launch.

A launch of a game in retail (physical and digital) is different from an EA launch. How is that not clear? One is done for launch, the other is by definition not done. Of course both games receive updates after launch.

If they both receive content post-launch, how are they "by definition" done. How are you not seeing how this definition of "done" is 100% arbitrary lol

You pay money for game. game receives more content post-launch, even including new features and systems changes. It's all in your mind dude.

Welcome to GBs goty

Where the laughs ate endless and the rules dont matter

Thats right, the rules are as good as setting up a bdsm session with no restriction

Antiwhippy

Steal My Sunshine - Episode 01
PREMIUM LIVE SHOW ON JUL 14, 2017 02:00 PM

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS

rqEGC4.gif

LiK

If they both receive content post-launch, how are they "by definition" done. How are you not seeing how this definition of "done" is 100% arbitrary lol

You pay money for game. game receives more content post-launch, even including new features and systems changes. It's all in your mind dude.

This is good. I feel like I'm listening to the 2017 GOTY discussion already.

I'm so excited.

I've only played the first two levels of Sunshine. I've wanted this feature for a while. Ever since that bombcast in 2014 when Dan said Sunshine was great and Jeff wasn't having it.

I mean if it's eligible for this year I'm going to assume that they're not going to make it eligible for next year.

Well that's the whole issue. How do you decide when it it eligible without silly arbitrary judgements that will devolve into the same bad argument over every EA good game every year? The current rule is the best solution to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom