• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
302A14F9193CED797CF0066616D42871EC4D6C73

It's a damn shame Brad was so tired/out of it, would have been a dead ringer for all time Brad losing it moments.

Giant Bomb went live at 4 P.M. on the 17th. They had no grand scheme. No strategy. No agreement with higher authorities. Nothing but a vague longing for chicken dinner, and a generalized wish for revenge against the other citizens of Murder Island.

This is a very good video description. I can hear the narrator of the movie in my head just reading that.

Giant Bomb went live at 4 P.M. on the 17th. They had no grand scheme. No strategy. No agreement with higher authorities. Nothing but a vague longing for chicken dinner, and a generalized wish for revenge against the other citizens of Murder Island.

This is a very good video description. I can hear the narrator of the movie in my head just reading that.

Narrated by Dave Lang.

hmm seems like Dan and Vinny don't want to play Kiwami I guess...

bummer man

Maybe Alex should just stream himself playing it, he seems to actually be into the series (which makes him the current best duder)

Also Dan's complaints about the combat are silly, or at least not articulated well

Saying that the heat actions are good "when they work," is not really accurate. Like he just never understood how it worked, it was never the game's fault, it was his own.

And he said he was bad at the game but still blames the game for not working right which doesn't really make sense.

daveo42

Banned
Finishing Nier Route B and it went a few places I expected and a few that I totally did not.

Spoilers:
So I knew about the "no humans" bit going in which I wasn't really bothered by. I'm more interested in the limited Nier knowledge I do have and how connected this game is to the events of the original game. I assume whatever Papa Nier did fucked up what was left of Project Gestalt, leading to the eventual death of humanity and the creation of the YoRHa. Along with that, what sentient robots/androids that are out there now probably have the souls of humans in them. I probably need to go back and rewatch one of those connection vids to make more sense of it, but I'm more intersted and invested in what's going on between 9S and 2B.

Also, damn 9S...he really wants to **** 2B. The bits with the hacking during his down time was real good, regardless of how much I still suck at twin-stick shooters.

The last bit threw me for a loop because I was convinced 2B, 9S, and well everyone else was stuck in a continual loop of birth and death for Adam and Eve based on some of the dialogue and 9S' plays. Not 100% if it will still go in that direction or not, but I still have 3 routes left.

And that's it for tonight. I can't stay up super late or else I'll be up half the night. Ride still real wild after two routes and I hear things ramp up even more going forward.

I'm one of those that really enjoyed the hacking in Nier Automata because it made sense gameplay and thematic wise. I really don't know what anyone would have done other wise.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Now that the dust has settled

I actually like Abigail's design. At the very least, it's different and fun and way more exciting than
maxresdefault.jpg

SF-20170506-Ed_.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Finishing Nier Route B and it went a few places I expected and a few that I totally did not.

Spoilers:
So I knew about the "no humans" bit going in which I wasn't really bothered by. I'm more interested in the limited Nier knowledge I do have and how connected this game is to the events of the original game. I assume whatever Papa Nier did fucked up what was left of Project Gestalt, leading to the eventual death of humanity and the creation of the YoRHa. Along with that, what sentient robots/androids that are out there now probably have the souls of humans in them. I probably need to go back and rewatch one of those connection vids to make more sense of it, but I'm more intersted and invested in what's going on between 9S and 2B.

Also, damn 9S...he really wants to **** 2B. The bits with the hacking during his down time was real good, regardless of how much I still suck at twin-stick shooters.

The last bit threw me for a loop because I was convinced 2B, 9S, and well everyone else was stuck in a continual loop of birth and death for Adam and Eve based on some of the dialogue and 9S' plays. Not 100% if it will still go in that direction or not, but I still have 3 routes left.

And that's it for tonight. I can't stay up super late or else I'll be up half the night. Ride still real wild after two routes and I hear things ramp up even more going forward.

You're misunderstanding some parts (nothing major)
there's nothing indicating that the androids have human souls in them.

I'll leave the rest for you to find out yourself.

Also just for quality of life thing
do endings C, D & E all in one go. D &
E are not routes.

daveo42

Banned
I'm one of those that really enjoyed the hacking in Nier Automata because it made sense gameplay and thematic wise. I really don't know what anyone would have done other wise.

It's good and I'm getting better at it, I just suck at it most of the time. Plus, it does fit very well with how the systems in the game work and the world itself.

You're misunderstanding some parts (nothing major)
there's nothing indicating that the androids have human souls in them.

I'll leave the rest for you to find out yourself.

Also just for quality of life thing
do endings C, D & E all in one go. D &
E are not routes.

Wasn't that a bit from Nier? Just asking on that point.

As for your QoL, how long you think that is? I don't really want to put it off, but if it'll take some time, then I might wait until the weekend to finish it up.

Gestahl

Yakuza combat isn't amazing by any means, a lot of moves have strange heat restrictions (anything that was 2nd gear only would be sifted out of my mind immediately), deeper mechanics like parrying are barely ever worth it aside from the broken 4th style counters, and the developers struggle on how to make a challenging encounter that doesn't shit all over the momentum based heat system (infinite blocking, shrugging off your attacks, Kuze's ridiculous infinite combo loop in his last fight, basically anything in that horrible river arena), but Dan was still struggling with shit like "the flashing triangle prompt in the corner" so those flaws aren't even really relevant in this situation

Antiwhippy

Wasn't that a bit from Nier? Just asking on that point.

As for your QoL, how long you think that is? I don't really want to put it off, but if it'll take some time, then I might wait until the weekend to finish it up.

It's kind of a different thing. All you know now at this point is that humans are effectively extinct.

As for the second bit
to go from ending C to E is maybe 30mins or so.

And remember.

Never give up.

Yakuza should really get serious consideration for best music. The way the game uses the music to help with setting the tone of a given scene is fantastic. The cues for when the ripping guitars should come in or the sad piano should end are really well done.

I feel like that attention to detail on how to use music in a game should be an important factor in determining best music.

Joeku

Spoilers:

You're at the point where shit starts getting real, so strap yourself in for a solid few hours and tear through it.

Edit: Also, Anti, there's a suggestion I want to make for dave but don't know how to do it in a non-spoilery way
That is, in the last fight, make sure as 9S you hack enough to get the menu arena

Antiwhippy

Yakuza should really get serious consideration for best music. The way the game uses the music to help with setting the tone of a given scene is fantastic. The cues for when the ripping guitars should come in or the sad piano should end are really well done.

I feel like that attention to detail on how to use music in a game should be an important factor in determining best music.

Nier's dynamic music tho.

It's like MGS rising but done even better.

OR how they did an entire song for just one side mission OR how about an entire song for just a fucking menu.

Joeku

Man I really want the hostess club thing as a separate game. Make it F2P, I don't give a fuck. After watching BitE I feel obligated to pick up the game but I really just want to manage those ladies. The Hostess Club music is amazing too.

If you want to talk about best use of a theme song though.

Nier man.

No doubt.

But also, that last
Kuze
fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKGdxbjnt8

tesqui

On the Super Mario Sunshine video, Dan included in the rules to allow shines acquired by 100 coins for each stage. That is way more tedious and annoying than it would initially seem. Do not do this please. If you thought the red coins were bad, then you have no idea.

Mr. F

Banned
Did they end up being positive on Yakuza in the end? I checked out at episode 4 but will probably marathon them sometime.

Joeku

On the Super Mario Sunshine video, Dan included in the rules to allow shines acquired by 100 coins for each stage. That is way more tedious and annoying than it would initially seem. Do not do this please. If you thought the red coins were bad, then you have no idea.

100 coin stars/shines have never been good.

Honestly, Mario Odyssey having an in-game store, bailing on lives, and making you lose coins when you die is a perfect way to sold some old Mario problems.

Did they end up being positive on Yakuza in the end? I checked out at episode 4 but will probably marathon them sometime.

Generally, yeah. Dan didn't love the combat, but everyone was into all the hot-blooded shit and the music and writing/characterization in general.

Antiwhippy

They liked the overall story and tone, but Dan thinks that they should wiki kiwami instead of playing it.

I think alex ended up really liking it.

Alex was by far the most enamored with Yakuza Zero.

He'll be the driving force if they end up going through Kiwami.

I'll settle for a QL and a Playdate if anything.

Joeku

Aren't older Yakuza games waaaay shorter?

Edit: It's still crazy to me that I can clearly recall Mark Hamill playing Majima and Michael Madsen playing Shimano in the original release.

Nier's dynamic music tho.

It's like MGS rising but done even better.

It's really tough. They are both equally deserving to me. The music in Nier is great (probably better than Yakuza) at capturing what the game is presenting in it's story.

But I was more impressed by the variety in Yakuza. The fight music, the story music, the minigame music, it does so much to help the game pull off having such dramatic changes in tone.

I'm trying to remember if I beat Yakuza Zero before I started watching BiTE or if I beat it during BiTE.

I'll probably try to do the same for Kiwami.

Same here, also it seemed like Vinny and Alex really enjoyed it. I also think Dan would enjoy it more if he weren't playing. If they do play it I hope they let Alex or Vinny control it.

I think we can all agree on that based on the last few pages. Dan just needs some time to cool off.

Also has Dan commented about the final episode anywhere? Some things I've read in here almost makes it seem like he has.

Edit: I would overcome my anti-mobile f2p tendencies for a Hostess Club game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom