• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
We need Jeremiah

I want a Giant Bomb bracelet that has the acronym WWJD? (What Would Jeremiah Do?) just so Dan can wear it at all times and really think to himself "am I living up to the standards Jeremiah has set for me?

People are going to vote P5 high up on GAF's GotY list. Possibly higher than the "revered" Nier or Horizon. It won't win like Uncharted 4 did, but it's not a dissimilar situation where reading the GB threads or listening to GB podcasts would make you think the game had a somewhat lukewarm reception.

People also voted for Trump for president

makes you think

Joeku

Persona 5 feels like the kind of thing where people on GAF are going to put it higher on their list because of how vocal the blowback to its incredibly obvious faults are. They might not even do that consciously, just sort of a "I didn't mind the localization, it's number 1!" type thing.

Guys, I promise you a lot of people like Persona 5. It's still my game of the year over Zelda and Yakuza thus far. It sits in the middle for me when it comes to the newer games: better than 4, a smidge below 3.

To the post above me: or maybe they just actually think it's their favorite game?

Persona 5 feels like the kind of thing where people on GAF are going to put it higher on their list because of how vocal the blowback to its incredibly obvious faults are. They might not even do that consciously, just sort of a "I didn't mind the localization, it's number 1!" type thing.

Or maybe the game is really good and the faults are greatly exaggerated because shitting on it is in vogue?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
guys i promise, persona 5 is only good, not great, not fantastic (bakalar), but good. that's all. nothing more.

Salarians

They'll get into furries?
Jeff's a penguin, Brad's a hamster, Alex is a wolf, Dan's a gator...

Vinny's fursona is just

tumblr_inline_ogiby6GsGU1rzmbd2_500.gif

It's clearly the best one, but you'd think they would have figured a few more things out in the eight years since the last game. Also, you'd think they would have had enough time to give the localization a few more passes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Guys, I promise you a lot of people like Persona 5. It's still my game of the year over Zelda and Yakuza thus far. It sits in the middle for me when it comes to the newer games: better than 4, a smidge below 3.

To the post above me: or maybe they just actually think it's their favorite game?

Like honestly my biggest disappointment about it is that it still has not surpassed persona 3 for me. :p

Otherwise yeah, I really liked it. Not without its issues but I've made them heard elsewhere.

Joeku

Or maybe the game is really good and the faults are greatly exaggerated because shitting on it is in vogue?

Yeah probably. And it's totally fine if it is your favourite. But blowback certainly makes people redouble their support in defense of a thing.

And there is a lot to defend against; Nier's and Yakuza's localizations put Persona's to shame.

Like, I'm not even dunking on the game in general, just saying it caught heat and that heat is making people defend what they should probably recognize as a fault, because it's in Persona.
Or maybe that localization is totally fine to them/you guys. In which case, OK.

Oh well. It can't be helped.

It's clearly the best one, but you'd think they would have figured a few more things out in the eight years since the last game. Also, you'd think they would have had enough time to give the localization a few more passes.

I don't get the localization issues because they are mostly in the opening hours, and are really either seen in adult characters (especially Sae who is the exception and consistently awful all game) or your dialogue options. I just can't figure out how much of it are mistakes versus intentional poor decisions. I guess those who played it will know what I mean. Point being would extra passes have helped?

But regardless, it's a 100 hour game with some bad lines in the beginning which isn't even original writing just bad localization. I don't think it's enough to suddenly tarnish the game.

After playing the game for 80 hours bad localization stuck out to me less than a handful of times. It’s certainly a different style of localization than Yakuza, which can come off as better or worse depending on what you’re looking for. If you’ve played a persona game before, there is really no difference to past games.

Take that for what you will.

Antiwhippy

persona battlegrounds

You know what, this actually makes me think that a pokemon battlegrounds could totally work.

You and 90 other people get dropped onto an island full of pokemon.

Random pokemon in pokeballs replaces random weapons.

You also have wild pokemon who are more powerful who you have to battle to capture to build a team of 6.

Battle all the other trainers until you get your chikorita dinner.

For Persona/SMT just replace pokemon with demons.

Joeku

I don't get the localization issues because they are mostly in the opening hours, and are really either seen in adult characters (especially Sae who is the exception and consistently awful all game) or your dialogue options. I just can't figure out how much of it are mistakes versus intentional poor decisions.

But regardless, it's a 100 hour game with some bad lines in the beginning which isn't even original writing just bad localization. I don't think it's enough to suddenly tarnish the game.

As someone who has fallen off somewhere after the fifth dungeon, I can tell you that for me the quality of the English writing (not the VA, that's mostly good) is...bothersome. Aggressively tolerable, but that isn't good enough anymore.

After playing the game for 80 hours bad localization stuck out to me less than a handful of times. It's certainly a different style of localization than Yakuza, which can come off as better or worse depending on what you're looking for. If you've played a persona game before, there is really no difference to past games.

Take that for what you will.

The last main entry Persona release was in 2008. I would really hope they would have done better in the eight to nine years since.

I say it's tolerable because it is. It's familiar. It's the same stilted JRPG localization that we've had since JRPGs became a thing. But bit by bit these things tended to get better, but for some weird reason Persona (not sure about mainline SMT, I'm unfamiliar) is still popping out like it's the mid-00s. As someone who was incredibly excited for 5, that's a tremendous fucking bummer. All that righteous gen-Z rage that should be there is wasted on limp dialogue I can see in my head before it even hits the screen.

Please for the love of fuck do not use some form of "I'll never forgive you!" in your dialogue again, localizers. Let that translated phrase fucking die already.

Was there a Murder Island today? Usually the archive goes up shortly after but still zippo!

Edit: Never mind. Evidently went up as I hit the post button...

I don't get the localization issues because they are mostly in the opening hours, and are really either seen in adult characters (especially Sae who is the exception and consistently awful all game) or your dialogue options. I just can't figure out how much of it are mistakes versus intentional poor decisions.

Tarnish is a strong word, but it's absolutely not up to Atlus's usual standard. The stiff way a lot of the adults speak, as well as the bizarre pronunciations of some of the characters' names, makes me think Atlus Japan meddled in the localization more than they usually do. I assume the project was rushed, so they put a ton of people on it with some Atlus Japan dude in charge.

Tarnish is a strong word, but it's absolutely not up to Atlus's usual standard. The stiff way a lot of the adults speak, as well as the bizarre pronunciations of some of the characters' names, makes me think Atlus Japan meddled in the localization more than they usually do. I assume the project was rushed, so they put a ton of people on it with some Atlus Japan dude in charge.

It just seems so weird to have Sae in particular have poorly localized lines all the way until the end. It almost feels like it was a decision someone made at some point.

Bacon

As someone who has fallen off somewhere after the fifth dungeon, I can tell you that for me the quality of the English writing (not the VA, that's mostly good) is...bothersome. Aggressively tolerable, but that isn't good enough anymore.

Speaking of English writing, what in the world does aggressively tolerable mean

Joeku

It just seems so weird to have Sae in particular have poorly localized lines all the way until the end. It almost feels like it was a decision someone made at some point.

The Sae stuff is particularly frustrating because she's maybe the worst part of Persona 5, but that same actress is definitely the best one in Breath of the Wild. I have to assume the direction is partly to blame even though I think the actors generally do okay with the material.

Speaking of English writing, what in the world does aggressively tolerable mean

Yes, that's the point. Frustratingly mediocre. Annoyingly okay. Not great but too literal and "technically accurate" to be awful.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't get the localization issues because they are mostly in the opening hours, and are really either seen in adult characters (especially Sae who is the exception and consistently awful all game) or your dialogue options. I just can't figure out how much of it are mistakes versus intentional poor decisions. I guess those who played it will know what I mean. Point being would extra passes have helped?

I dunno why I keep hearing that there were only bad lines in the beginning. It was throughout the entire thing here and there, with some especially noticeable examples. Probably one of the ones that received the most criticism from what I've seen was when two villains were discussing their plans, and that was post-6th palace.

Same thing for the main party, they say stuff at times I could never see someone in high school actually saying.

Not enough fidget spinner talk.

I was thinking about this

10 years from now these 6 year olds with spinners are going to be in high school

one of them, ONE OF THEM is going to find his spinner and bring it to school

Then everyone is going to be like WHOA THAT'S OLD SCHOOL, YOU'RE SO COOL WITH YOUR FIDGET SPINNER, MAN I REMEMBER THOSE, YOU REMEMBER FIDGET SPINNERS?

And I hate everything for that.

Joeku

Not enough fidget spinner talk.

That reminds me, I just got a slice of pizza and the place has kids' drawings all over the walls. A bunch of the drawings were of pizza fidget spinners. The next generation is doing well.

Edit: The highest concentration of fidget drawings:

Edit2: Lmao, I didn't even notice "Buy Figet Spinner They make you consentrait". Keep doing you, Shazad.

Alucrid

Banned
I gotta say... One thing that's been bugging me with all those new Patreons type sites is the constant use of the Royal We....

Christ, you're just one dude in his/her living room.

It's not a criticism on that site's content... Just stop saying "We" when you're alone at the company doing everything.

Edit: Jesus Christ.... He bought a fucking Tricaster to do his podcast...
Oh. What? I thought his we was referring to him and the other people who work at siftd. Are you telling me no one else works at siftd?

Antiwhippy

I was thinking about this

10 years from now these 6 year olds with spinners are going to be in high school

one of them, ONE OF THEM is going to find his spinner and bring it to school

Then everyone is going to be like WHOA THAT'S OLD SCHOOL, YOU'RE SO COOL WITH YOUR FIDGET SPINNER, MAN I REMEMBER THOSE, YOU REMEMBER FIDGET SPINNERS?

And I hate everything for that.

Because it reminds you of your mortality?

psyer

I dunno why I keep hearing that there were only bad lines in the beginning. It was throughout the entire thing here and there, with some especially noticeable examples. Probably one of the ones that received the most criticism from what I've seen was when two villains were discussing their plans, and that was post-6th palace.

Same thing for the main party, they say stuff at times I could never see someone in high school actually saying.

There were way too many translator and editors on staff for Persona 5. So I would say it is a rushed project so that they can release it to English audience faster. When the localization project lead boast about having the most translator and editors on a team that is usually not a good sign.

However, in the era we are in more people would rather have more content out irrespective of the quality.

JackEtc

despite all the talk of fidget spinners i still havent seen one being used in the wild

As someone who walks through times square/surrounding area every day on the way to work, let me tell you...

dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and

JackEtc

I have one. And was diagnosed with ADHD in second grade, still take medicine for it as an adult.

It does not help. At all. It's just more distracting if anything!

The cubes though, those seem like they'd have potential. Still would be a distraction though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom