• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BF3 one where they get the helicopter in the tunnel is pretty nuts.

TNT was best with the Tested guys there. Quake, BF3, TF2, Nuts and Bolts...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually looking at the related links they did a 3DO TNT?

They were really playing fast and loose with the feature as it went on hah.

danm999

I am about 4 hours into Nier having just finished the amusement park and I am really nervous about being mindfucked by the game.

Mupod

Seeing the yakuza series I think he would like how spammy automata is.

yeah Dan actually likes games with combat like Nier Automata. It may not have the depth that fans of cuhrayzee action games are looking for, but it's responsive and forgiving especially with its dodge.

imBask

Banned
Nier Automata is a weird thing... i'd usually be interested in a Platinum game, but I keep reading those "oh yeah the shooter sections are kinda bad and the gameplay gets weird here and there and the save system is meh and I got bored of the combat, but once you've finished the game 3-4 times you'll get why it's good" and it's super turning me off, especially at full price

derFeef

Nier Automata is a weird thing... i'd usually be interested in a Platinum game, but I keep reading those "oh yeah the shooter sections are kinda bad and the gameplay gets weird here and there and the save system is meh and I got bored of the combat, but once you've finished the game 3-4 times you'll get why it's good" and it's super turning me off, especially at full price

All kinda true, but even if I have only "finished" it once, it will still rank high in my personal GOTY list. It only can climb higher if I continue to paly the other routes I feel.
Well I think the shooting is cool and save system is fine.

Meguro

Banned
The shooter sections are probably the sections that play the best.
And you only have to finish it three times and even then that's not a full three playthroughs.

imBask

Banned
I think the shooter sections are pretty fun actually.

you still get what I mean? I feel like it's one of those game you have to play to get it, but the $90 CAD and 20h+ sound like a huge risk

Undertale was a game you had to play to get it, but it was like... 3h and $10 so that made sense

Curufinwe

I never had a problem with the save system, and the shooting was always enjoyable.

Maybe I played on Hard those things would have been an issue, but on Normal it was a breeze for most of the game.

daveo42

Banned

The shooting only sucks if you aren't good at twin-stick shooters and even then it's somewhat forgiving on regular difficulties. As for the replaying to complete the game, Route B is the closest to a replay but is also different enough to make it more of it's own experience and adds a ton of extra context to Route A. It's also significantly shorter than Route A.

Combat is the weird thing because it can get boring unless you mess with what weapons and chips you use.

patapuf

Automata is not a game one should play on hard in the first playthrough - even if you are a person that usually plays everything on hard.

You can bump it up in the second half if you want but the start won't be fun.

We need a better vocab for this game because endings A and B aren't really endings at all and you haven't finished the game when you get them and they aren't multiple playthroughs. It's more accurate to say they are 3 separate chapters with some overlapping content due to route A and B charting much of the same story but from differing perspectives, and C is a whole separate thing.

The only reason I'm even giving it a chance is the story. People keep talking about how incredible it is. I'm just going to turn the game on the easiest mode I can and breeze through the combat for the story.

Antiwhippy

you still get what I mean? I feel like it's one of those game you have to play to get it, but the $90 CAD and 20h+ sound like a huge risk

Undertale was a game you had to play to get it, but it was like... 3h and $10 so that made sense

Yeah I can see that. It's kinda the same situation for us here in AUS except that I think our wages are on average higher, and from what I've understood in canada prices are rising but the wages stayed stagnant?

It's a weird game for sure. Even by the end of the game I'm not entirely sure if people will entirely get the full impact of the story immediately, because it really requires you to take in the full context of the journey from the start. Even some stuff did not have an impact on me at the moment, but it's something I appreciated as I studied the game more afterwards.

I don't expect everyone to love the game because it's honestly pretty anti-player in certain ways hah. It doesn't care that players are set back just to send its own message. I mean it's done in ways that I kinda love but I also understand what Vinny meant when he said the beginning save situation nearly putting him off (which actually does have a narrative reason).

But it's definitely the game that fascinated me the most in years.

The only reason I'm even giving it a chance is the story. People keep talking about how incredible it is. I'm just going to turn the game on the easiest mode I can and breeze through the combat for the story.

Dude normal is so easy already.

TheChits

I implore you to do at least some of the side quests as well. They really add a context that elevates the "main" story I think

imBask

Banned
Yeah I can see that. It's kinda the same situation for us here in AUS except that I think our wages are on average higher, and from what I've understood in canada prices are rising but the wages stayed stagnant?

It's a weird game for sure. Even by the end of the game I'm not entirely sure if people will entirely get the full impact of the story immediately, because it really requires you to take in the full context of the journey from the start. Even some stuff did not have an impact on me at the moment, but it's something I appreciated as I studied the game more afterwards.

I don't expect everyone to love the game because it's honestly pretty anti-player in certain ways hah. It doesn't care that players are set back just to send its own message. I mean it's done in ways that I kinda love but I also understand what Vinny meant when he said the beginning save situation nearly putting him off (which actually does have a narrative reason).

But it's definitely the game that fascinated me the most in years.

Dude normal is so easy already.

I will give it a shot before GOTY time and if it's bad i'll blame you

just like I blame this thread for P5 eventho they had nothing to do with it.

Curufinwe

eh, I don't generally play games to challenge myself, and I hate character action like Nier has. I don't feel like upping the difficulty would elevate my experience. If anything, it would stop me from moving forward with the game.

Honestly, you should just watch a LP if you hate action games.

Pyre: Real good
Splatoon 2: Real good
Fire Pro: Real good
Fortnite: Real good with some gatacha caveats

A lot of the big games fell flat to me this year but the last month's been great.

Antiwhippy

fake-tweet20170726-9-1tntjoa.jpg

derFeef

Uh, isn't that a game you love and hate at the same time, or alternately depending on how you do in the first place? Or is he talking about the cosmetics?
edit: fell for it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom