• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

He definitely practices the "old" style of video games reviews, with a very surface-level overview of "Are the controls good? Do it got graphics?" It's interesting to contrast his reviews with Austin's, which are in a more "modern" style and, I think, more evocative of the actual experience of playing a game.

I mean, Austin can actually write and his level of thinking about a game goes well above Dan and every other GB member. Only Alex really thinks about games more than "is this fun".

soundtest

Banned
the first splatoon was alright for like 3 hours and i never returned to it again. I dont know if it's because im used to playing other online shooters for nearly 2 decades or if it didnt have enough to it but it just didnt grab me at all even while i could acknowledge its originality and style.

It's why ive been super apprehensive to get it on the switch even as im dying to get something else for the machine outside of mario kart.

Jintor

it's a dumpster fire so it's not that surprising

The cool characters and decent gameplay can't save this fire

listen i bore the arms insults but i won't hear this bullshit about splatoon

it is the tightest game design*

*apart from the bits that are shit

Jintor

i don't know what's not getting into vinny's head, but then, i don't understand why people don't like the base splatoon at all

it would take a reconfiguration of reality for me to understand why you wouldn't like splatoon

Sadly you can only experience that in 2 maps (AKA you'll get the same one 15 times in a row), and if you wanna change weapon you have to quit the game and navigate horrible menus

hit plus, select a gun, hit x go back to the lobby

menus hard

imBask

Banned
I don't wanna be TOO hard on Splatoon 2 because I love the characters a lot, and I love the gameplay. But the game actively wants me to stop playing after a couple of games if I get bored of the current map or if I wanna switch weapon and that's TERRIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE

hit plus, select a gun, hit x go back to the lobby

menus hard

why do I have to load in and out of a menu to do this basic task?

Jintor

it's actually kind of interesting because i think my capacity for long game sessions has really gone down so i'm way more into popcorn games these days

so every match being like 3 minutes or 5 minutes (+ overtime) actually totally suits me

soundtest

Banned
i don't know what's not getting into vinny's head, but then, i don't understand why people don't like the base splatoon at all

it would take a reconfiguration of reality for me to understand why you wouldn't like splatoon

you can like splatoon and not love it. i like it, but there's only so much fun i can extract from painting floors for 2 minutes at a time on the same 2 maps for a half hour before im just putting the game down.

it would go a long way for the game to not have that silly ass 2 maps at a time thing. maybe it was excusable with the first game as nintendo was dipping its toes into online shooters for the first time but it doesnt get a free pass this time.

Curufinwe

So Beast can tell when a B game is boring 20 minutes in, but can't tell after all this time that Blue Bombin is the most boring video series they've ever done?

I'm having fun with Splatoon 2 but like LIK said, everyone will forget it in a week or so and I feel that to be true. It's a good game like the first one but to me I feel it's just more of that and it's not necessarily a bad thing but the game just doesn't have its hooks in me which is exactly how I felt with the first one.

However, I'm also not that big on the MP so I guess I'm not the right person to talk about Splatoon. I'm in it for the SP. Sure, I'll play MP here and there but it's not what I'm there for.
So Beast can tell when a B game is boring 20 minutes in, but can't tell after all this time that Blue Bombin is the most boring video series they've ever done?

To you, maybe. Not to me. I want to see the discussions Dan and Vinny get into while Alex busts his ass on them platforms.

imBask

Banned
I just wanna add this very important mention :

Most of my complaints about Splatoon 2 were problems in Splatoon 1.

It was sorta acceptable/understandable for a new game, but it's unacceptable for a sequel.

Jintor

you can like splatoon and not love it. i like it, but there's only so much fun i can extract from painting floors for 2 minutes at a time on the same 2 maps for a half hour before im just putting the game down.

it would go a long way for the game to not have that silly ass 2 maps at a time thing. maybe it was excusable with the first game as nintendo was dipping its toes into online shooters for the first time but it doesnt get a free pass this time.

i like it tbh. a third map per rotation might be alright though just to break up the same map syndrome. i honestly feel like the way ink changes the map dynamism though means even if you're playing the same map you're not really playing the same map - you never play it the exact same way.

i mean, the other thing is i played tf2 maps for like 20-40 minutes or occasionally infinite, so i have no qualms about playing a multiplayer map over and over and over again

Ashby

If Vinny had a gun with two bullets in it and he was in a room with Hitler, Mussolini and Splatoon he would shoot Splatoon twice.

oti

Banned
I don't wanna be TOO hard on Splatoon 2 because I love the characters a lot, and I love the gameplay. But the game actively wants me to stop playing after a couple of games if I get bored of the current map or if I wanna switch weapon and that's TERRIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEE

why do I have to load in and out of a menu to do this basic task?

You could change to ranked mode. Different maps there.

Jintor

i played splatoon 1 solidly for about 6-9 months i think. any time my interest would wane they'd bring something in to make it interesting.

I'm hoping they can stick to the same for Splat 2, since a lot of the cool new things they introduced in splat 1 are already baseline in splat 2 (ranked, rainmaker, various weapon types, new maps etc)

conversely i dropped overwatch after about a month. it wasn't boring exactly but it didn't really have any pull for me

Considering how often people were going nuts for those #TeamWhatever Splatfests(? -- I missed out on the first game) I really doubt the game will be forgotten in a week.

I've only been doing regular matches and the single-player stuff but I'm enjoying Splatoon 2 and looking forward to the Salmon Run stuff in a bit.

imBask

Banned
I should do more Ranked indeed.

Still, not fixing the problems from the first game is horrible and they shouldn't get a free pass for that.

Nerokis

Blue Bombin' is great. Vinny, Dan, and occasionally Alex conversing over a game that doesn't necessarily require your full attention, but is still capable of producing fun, intense, or amusing moments. Plus, as a fan of the Mega Man franchise who's played a limited amount of the games, it's cool to see them.

I've missed it for awhile.

kiguel182

Splatoon is definetly the most fun I had with a multiplayer shooter in a while. It’s very close if not neck to neck with Overwatch.

The menus are fine even if they have to load in. No loadouts is a bummer.

The map rotation doesn’t bother me. Playing in the same two maps each session isn’t a problem for me. The co cop stuff being on a timer is a bad decision.

It’s a flawed product but as a game it’s a ton of fun.

Splatoon's dumb fucking multiplayer limitations are frustrating as hell, but I still can't get over how much fun the gameplay is. At least it has a good amount of content at launch this time around. The two-map rotation and all the other limitations mixed with the hilarious lack of content made the first few months of the original game rough.

I can't tell if the prospect of watching GB play Kingdom Hearts makes it more or less likely that I'll finally start playing the games myself lol. I've had 1.5/2.5 and 2.8 sitting on my shelf waiting for a couple months.

LiK

Well, I heard Dan talk about Pyre. Wasn't that bad. I understood his point of view. I loved Pyre but I thought it was too short. I guess it's always good to want more.

Splatoon 2 looks fun but I haven't bought it for 2 reasons, 1 being that I can't get wi-fi when my switch is docked, and 2 is I think I'd play it once or twice and kinda have my fill. It takes a lot for an MP shooter to really hook me, even when it's very good. I loved Titanfall 2 online the couple of hours i played it but for some reason it doesn't entice me to play it. Whereas I've put over 40 hours into PUBG and hundred+ into Siege. I think I just prefer slower-paced, more tactical online shooters over the long haul. More variety between matches I think.

Fireblend

Banned
I actually like the restrictions in Splatoon. Playing the same 2 maps in a 2-hour period makes me feel like I'm getting better at those maps after every game; games are pretty short so if I start losing the stages start feeling like puzzles to be figure out. Also, if there wasn't a restriction like this one, I fear we'd have the "Final Destination only" effect and people would only be playing on a couple of maps and have a couple neglected forever. I see it all the time in Mario Kart 8 DX and I'd hate to see that here.

Plus you also have ranked mode which is 2 additional maps with different objectives.

I also believe many of these decisions are rooted on considerations related to userbase splitting. If there were team turf wars and solo turf wars modes, that would split the player base. If all ranked modes were available, I could see one being neglected over the others, etc.

The only "restriction overkill" I 100% agree with is Salmon Run, specially with the recent 12-hour schedules. I feel like they underestimated how much of a hit that mode would be. I'm sure they'll adjust the schedule to fit the demand in no time.

And yeah you should be able to change your equipment in the lobby but that is more of a minor nuisance to me than an actual flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom