• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Banned
I wish I enjoyed House of Leaves as much as pretty much everyone else. A ton of it fell flat to me, between the style-over-substance approach and the blatant Borges references... I'm sure it's a really cool experience if it actually manages to grab you but for some reason it felt like a stitch of other people's ideas.

I've actually been meaning to check out some Hunter, too. He has a book about the 1972 presidential election been meaning to check out.

Most of my reading is like historical stuff really, so I enjoy David McCullough's 1776 and John Adams. I made it halfway through this dense ass Stephen Ambrose book about D-Day, etc. I have a book about a failed Norwegian WWII op.

TraBuch

Banned
I'm typically a fantasy guy. The Lies of Locke Lamora, Black Company, The First Law, Mistborn, etc. I occasionally browse the Kindle store and just pick random things that sound interesting with Kindle Unlimited. That's how I learned LitRPGs are apparently a thing. They're not very good. I've tried reading a few of them, and each one uses the word "noob" and I cringe right out of there. They usually come off as self-insert power fantasies.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm typically a fantasy guy. The Lies of Locke Lamora, Black Company, The First Law, Mistborn, etc. I occasionally browse the Kindle store and just pick random things that sound interesting with Kindle Unlimited. That's how I learned LitRPGs are apparently a thing. They're not very good. I've tried reading a few of them, and each one uses the word "noob" and I cringe right out of there. They usually come off as self-insert power fantasies.

I missed The Lies of Locke Lamora in my list. That's one damn fine book. Sadly I didn't continue with the series, and I do own the second book.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I went to a midnight showing of Clerks the other week which I remembered being bad and godamnit it Clerks is actually pretty good and now I have to admit that Kevin Smith has made at least one movie

Oh man, I hope vinny watches twin peaks and Alex continues with it. Need more duders to talk peaks. Best show of 1990-91 and best show of 2017.

2953627-webp.net-resizeimage+%281%29.jpg

FriDota: The All Hero Challenge 07/28/17
Will Brad be able to overcome an uncooperative teammate to master the nightmare that is this feature? In his dreams.

TraBuch

Banned
I missed The Lies of Locke Lamora in my list. That's one damn fine book. Sadly I didn't continue with the series, and I do own the second book.
Red Seas gets a lot of hate, at least compared to Lies, but I still really enjoyed it. I haven't read Republic, though. It's tough to stay interested when there's such a long wait in between books. Not everyone can be Brandon Sanderson, I suppose.

I also enjoyed the Beast book and film podcast.

If you wanted to see the movies spoiled you probably would have seen them already. Snowpiercer's okay, it's a cool movie but outside of Tilda the performances are lacklustre.

Ravelle

This Blue Bombin' stream has been one of the best streams lately, super chill just chatting about movies and books.

It's what I miss about UPF in which they usually just look up a random game, play it for 15 minutes which they won't even like most of the time. Would prefer if they just played games they like to play and talk about it.

Also we need a Film and 40's The Room.

drabnon

Adding my 2 cents in here to agree with everyone else. We need film & 40s for The Room. I rewatched the movie last night and there's just nothing like it. I need to hear Vinny's reaction to the movie.

Thank god I saw Split a few months ago. That was a good movie despite the twist to be honest, the twist only made the movie better because initially I found it
TOO OVER THE TOP
. The twist just made everything make sense. That moment when the first few notes of that theme played maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Oh man, I hope vinny watches twin peaks and Alex continues with it. Need more duders to talk peaks. Best show of 1990-91 and best show of 2017.
Yes, we need more people talking about Twin Peaks.
Ben Horne is such an amazing character

That he is.

Now's the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son of York

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom