• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
"Wal-Mart is a great company! For consumers they're great!"

... shit, he's a couple steps away from saying "child labor is fantastic, it doesn't effect me at all but I can get shit for super cheap!"

The same guy believes Batman is a totally rad concept and super cool.

What did you expect?

The sweetest thing this weekend is hearing you talking about features you like Piston.

image.php

This one's for Karspankey.

Since we've been talking about gravity and space lately, I advise you to compliment that discussion with a re-listen to episode 64.

"Let me think before I talk for once"
"If I held a flea with my fingers and let go of it, It wouldn't like Super Mario Galaxy'd its way to my chest."
"DUEEH. ANY BIG ASS THING. ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING, HAS GRAVITY"

I forgot how great this episode was. Holy crap.

Dan: I have a question along these lines that I ask all the time...Do we have time for me to ask it?

Vinny: Sure, go ahead.

Dan: In the beginning...

This one's for Karspankey.

Since we've been talking about gravity and space lately, I advise you to compliment that discussion with a re-listen to episode 64.

"Let me think before I talk for once"
"If I held a flea with my fingers and let go of it, It wouldn't like Super Mario Galaxy'd its way to my chest."
"DUEEH. ANY BIG ASS THING. ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING, HAS GRAVITY"

whats the time stamp for 'in the beginning..'

before or after the flea part?

drabnon

What did you expect?

Can you clarify this for me? Because there are a lot of Batman fans who think he is a "rad concept and super cool" and I'm not sure what you're trying to say about them, if anything.

oti

Banned
Can you clarify this for me? Because there are a lot of Batman fans who think he is a "rad concept and super cool" and I'm not sure what you're trying to say about them, if anything.

Hold on.

You think a rich guy going "Yeah, I should use my money to make weapons and battle the baddies because I want to and I don't care about the law because I'm BATMAN!" is unquestionably cool?

I'm not saying the "brand" Batman stinks. But the implications of what the character Batman does, is something people should think about.

drabnon

Hold on.

You think a rich guy going "Yeah, I should use my money to make weapons and battle the baddies because I want to and I don't care about the law because I'm BATMAN!" is unquestionably cool?

I'm not saying the "brand" Batman stinks. But the implications of what the character Batman does, is something people should think about.

Well, I think if you take Batman out of the comics and into real life, that's not cool at all. Then he's endangering others and his logic is fallible, which could lead to innocent people being hurt etc. etc.

But as a comic book character, fuck yeah he's cool. A symbol for vengeance who does what needs to be done, with an incredible rogues gallery, and a really fantastic supporting cast.

Your original statement was just too vague, so I couldn't tell what you were criticizing Dan for. Has he said that he wishes Batman existed in real life or something? I would probably disagree with that.

oti

Banned
Well, I think if you take Batman out of the comics and into real life, that's not cool at all. Then he's endangering others and his logic is fallible, which could lead to innocent people being hurt etc. etc.

But as a comic book character, fuck yeah he's cool. A symbol for vengeance who does what needs to be done, with an incredible rogues gallery, and a really fantastic supporting cast.

Your original statement was just too vague, so I couldn't tell what you were criticizing Dan for. Has he said that he wishes Batman existed in real life or something? I would probably disagree with that.

Dan doesn't think further about stuff. Or doesn't want to think about the implications of Batman or Walmart. That's where I was coming from.

I think Dan just wants to be happy no matter what and is totally fine living in his own little, protected and limited bubble.

drabnon

Dan doesn't think further about stuff. Or doesn't want to think about the implications of Batman or Walmart. That's where I was coming from.

I think Dan just wants to be happy no matter what and is totally fine living in his own little, protected and limited bubble.

The most impressed I've ever been with Dan in terms of thinking further about stuff is when he posted this on twitter after the travel ban.

C3WcKSGVUAArxKc.jpg:large

Ever since then, I give Dan the benefit of the doubt and assume that he's just playing up his own ignorance, because he's clearly capable of being considerate.

What did you expect?

I don't know about you but he's an amazing character mostly because he's the only "superhero" that's very relatable and the one that's mostly grounded in reality in the sense that he doesn't really have any super power. I watched The Animated Series religiously as a kid and it kind of helped shape how I thought and processed things. The people who missed the show, missed some REAL GOOD STUFF(bonus scene from the film). What an amazing cast of wonderful complex indepth characters and superb writing all around for a fuckin kids show.

Everytime I rewatch the series, I'm blown away because it's filled with such moments in what was presented as a "kids show". Not to mention that fuckin soundtrack.

Ashby

A billionaire is very relatable? Nah, tons of superheroes are more relatable than Batman. Spider-Man being the shining example. Hell, Superman is more relatable than Batman.

oti

Banned
I guess nobody here remembers that they talked about Batman. I don't remember myself when that happened exactly. Must've been before Dan moved East.

any time people are talking about Batman, it takes me everything in my power to not just go "but guys, what about the Punisher"

the Punisher is probably really, really lame if you actually get into the comics and all that, but that War Zone movie is real good

even the Volition game is a fun, dumb B-game

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think it's more about the concept of a person of privilege thinking he can solve the problems of the less privilege.

Also nobody is a billionaire from doing no harm.

But i have that problem with nearly all superhero stories anyway.

Ashby

any time people are talking about Batman, it takes me everything in my power to not just go "but guys, what about the Punisher"

the Punisher is probably really, really lame if you actually get into the comics and all that, but that War Zone movie is real good

Actually The Punisher has one of the absolute best runs of all time

A billionaire is very relatable? Nah, tons of superheroes are more relatable than Batman. Spider-Man being the shining example. Hell, Superman is more relatable than Batman.

Sure, but I don't find them as relatable as Batman in the sense that he doesn't have any super powers to begin with. He trained hard and is doing everything based on a traumatizing tragedy he faced at a young age and a set of principles that he abides by, that's why I find him relatable the most.

He isn't flashing his wealth and he doesn't even talk about it, his whole shtick is how could I use what I have to better what's around me. I find it fascinating that Batman as a character uses Bruce Wayne as a disguise and not the batsuit because that's when he shows what he really feels. I also could be biased because Batman probably has the best villains in any comic universe. Most of the villains have the complexity and fascinating backstories that really makes them feel well realized.

I actually love the Thomas Jane film more than Warzone even though Warzone is closer to the comics. Also, that game is fuckin cool.

drabnon

The image you posted is from Punisher 2099 (Future Punisher, not Frank Castle). Pretty hilarious, too. I haven't read the comic it's from but I have to assume the writer is being extremely self aware rather than someone who thinks what they're writing is actually cool.

drabnon

This movie was fantastic. It's both the perfect homage and a satire of the Batman mythos.

Yeah, it manages to make fun of but also show love for the character. I love when they made fun of the Suicide Squad movie.

By the way guys, I haven't watched today's Blue Bombing yet but apparently I can just put it on in the background and listen to it like a podcast, yeah?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
see when Punisher is dumb and edgy it's typically in a fun, self-aware way you can get behind

Batman's more oppressive in its broodiness

Oh totally. Like I'm not a comic fan at all but that page is still one of my favourite images to pull up when I want to have a laugh.

Does the punisher even have super powers or is he just a strong dude who shoots guns?

drabnon

Oh totally. Like I'm not a comic fan at all but that page is still one of my favourite images to pull up when I want to have a laugh.

Does the punisher even have super powers or is he just a strong dude who shoots guns?

Punisher has zero powers. Well, I'm sure with comics being comics, Punisher has at some point gained powers through some shenanigans. But for the most part he's just a really well trained dude with guns.

see when Punisher is dumb and edgy it's typically in a fun, self-aware way you can get behind

Batman's more oppressive in its broodiness

That's true however, the writing in the Animated Series is done with the right amount of gravitas that does the whole thing justice. Atleast the first two volumes/seasons. The third one is a hit and a miss.
Or maybe just a duo?

Also, do we have gbgaf discord?

I wouldn't mind jumping in whenever I'm free although I'm in EU so that may cause some problems with lag and shit.

Nerokis

...are you just casually putting Batman and Walmart in the same category, and using Dan's supposed admiration for the former as a Walmart-esque example of his desire to remain in a bubble?

I'm sorry, but the literature on the problematic practices of Walmart is much more compelling than the literature on the Implications of Batman. In no world should someone admitting to finding Batman cool make you think to yourself, "Wow, such purposeful ignorance!" Seriously.

All of this is to say, if we're going to keep a list of every dumb thing Dan has ever said, let's at least approach it reasonably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom