• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

That game kind of dropped off my radar after it released. I was surprised when they announced the sequel at E3.

How's the game? Is there still a community for it?

It was free on uPlay a while back, so I have no doubt there are people playing it still. I keep installing it and uninstalling it for space and just never really god into it proper on PC, though I keep wanting to.

Also the sequel looks like they finally figured out what the word "tone" means. Genuinely excited for it.

I like wind up bird chronicles, but I can understand why it would put off first time murakami reader

Kafka on the shore is probably still my favourite murakami book. Followed by norwegian wood.
I read Wind Up Bird first and thought it was just decent. Then my first attempt at Hard Boiled Wonderland I dropped after the third chapter. Then my second attempt I blew through it and loved it.

That game kind of dropped off my radar after it released. I was surprised when they announced the sequel at E3.

How's the game? Is there still a community for it?

I still see other drivers out on the roads, but they are few and far between. I am not sure if that is by design so people cannot fuck with you constantly, or just a lack of players. I have played the game solo 99% of my total playtime and while it doesn't make the game any worse, I imagine playing with a group of friends is much better.

The Ultimate Edition was on one of the recent flash sales for $16-17, I'd say it is very much worth it at that price, and considering what you get with that version, I would probably avoid simply getting the base game.

The story is laughable and your typically cheesy racing game story, but overall is a competent game and has fuckloads of check boxes to mark, so if you want a simple/casual game that's pretty fun with a lot of content, get it.

Also the sequel looks like they finally figured out what the word "tone" means. Genuinely excited for it.

Very much so, devs really need to stop with trying to make a "serious" racing story, and just make their best take on the Fast and the Furious franchise or just go the comedic route.

Joeku

that's kinda racist

Nah, fuck the dirty weeds, leave 'em on their island! I'm gonna say it, screw your PC brigade.

I still see other drivers out on the roads, but they are few and far between. I am not sure if that is by design so people cannot fuck with you constantly, or just a lack of players. I have played the game solo 99% of my total playtime and while it doesn't make the game any worse, I imagine playing with a group of friends is much better.

The Ultimate Edition was on one of the recent flash sales for $16-17, I'd say it is very much worth it at that price, and considering what you get with that version, I would probably avoid simply getting the base game.

Wait, is that why the base game was free? The game was overstuffed as is; what did the Ultimate Edition add/fix?

Oakinn

Been gone all weekend so I dont know if anyone has brought this up, Pyre has some serious frame rate issues. Probably halfway into the game during one of the rites the game dips to sub 10 FPS on a pro. Nearly unplayable. Other than that i love it but woof

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I read Wind Up Bird first and thought it was just decent. Then my first attempt at Hard Boiled Wonderland I dropped after the third chapter. Then my second attempt I blew through it and loved it.

I still need to read colorless tsukuru but 1Q84 really turned me off.

repeater

I am hopelessly behind on all things GB, but I just wanna say I really enjoyed the latest Bombcast. With stuff like the state fair / Smash Mouth discussion, it felt very much like a vintage era Bombcast. Then Jeff drops a real showstopper by referencing Television. Good stuff. Also really enjoyed Ben's contributions.

Antiwhippy

I am hopelessly behind on all things GB, but I just wanna say I really enjoyed the latest Bombcast. With stuff like the state fair / Smash Mouth discussion, it felt very much like a vintage era Bombcast. Then Jeff drops a real showstopper by referencing Television. Good stuff. Also really enjoyed Ben's contributions.

Yeah it was definitely the best podcast giantbomb did in awhile, Hope it's a trend that continue.

Wait, is that why the base game was free? The game was overstuffed as is; what did the Ultimate Edition add/fix?

Maybe on PC, but they did not give the base game away for free on PS4.

The Ultimate Edition added (I am not sure what here is given to the base version too) the Drag and Drift specs for cars, added monster trucks, bikes, stunt courses, police cars, and a ton of missions centering around all that content. They also give you all the cars that were in the season pass.

Joeku

Been gone all weekend so I dont know if anyone has brought this up, Pyre has some serious frame rate issues. Probably halfway into the game during one of the rites the game dips to sub 10 FPS on a pro. Nearly unplayable. Other than that i love it but woof
There's a fair bit of an issue with the game on the Pro, including some easily repeatable hard crashes. They're patching it, but who knows when it'll hit. Maybe just hold off on the game for a bit if it's taking you out that much.

This is why new blood is good for GB. A thing to keep in mind is that Ben is around the age most of the others were when the site launched nearly a decade ago; he's still off doing shit on the weekend. Everyone else is very settled down now, and it does lessen the frequency of weird misadventures coming up on the podcast.

2953631-ironcrypticle.jpg

Quick Look: Iron Crypticle
Orange Warrior needed food badly, but after hearing these gross slurping sounds I'm pretty sure he's lost his appetite.

Tubobutts

I like wind up bird chronicles, but I can understand why it would put off first time murakami reader

Kafka on the shore is probably still my favourite murakami book. Followed by norwegian wood.
I had the same experience as Vinny but in the opposite order. I read Hard Boiled Wonderland first because Austin kept talking about it and really liked it. Then I read Wind Up Bird Chronicles (based on recommendations in this thread) and only made it about halfway through.

I just realized that I haven't read a book in like a year because I read the first six Black Company books way too quickly and then was too burnt out by the time I got to the 7th. I should get back to those.

Joeku

Iron Cryptide looks real go-*Iron Crypticle is a four-player dual-joystick shooter with Rogue-lite mechanics.*

eToa3aw.gif

This gif makes me want (after the N64 Mini releases next year and inevitably gets hacked) a weird-ass game that makes you contort your hands around the N64 controller for what should be simple actions, like a whole game of the electrified maze in Heavy Rain.

Antiwhippy

I had the same experience as Vinny but in the opposite order. I read Hard Boiled Wonderland first because Austin kept talking about it and really liked it. Then I read Wind Up Bird Chronicles (based on recommendations in this thread) and only made it about halfway through.

I just realized that I haven't read a book in like a year because I read the first six Black Company books way too quickly and then was too burnt out by the time I got to the 7th. I should get back to those.

I actually have forsaken reading more books just so I could play more games.

Priorities.

hamchan

Norwegian Wood will stay with me (haunt me) for life.

IQ84 might be the longest book I've ever read that gave me so little in return.

You know what the world needs

more
roguelite

I try not to do the whole "x genre is so overdone" thing, but when it comes to rougelites I've gone through the "hey this game looks co- oh it's a roguelite" cycle more than any other type of game.

On paper I'd even say I like roguelites a lot. I can't deny the disappointment I often feel when I find out something is one, though.

what's worse

that these kind of games keep being made ad nauseam, or that they keep making videos with them

The problem is the game looks great as does Dead Cells, like the kind of games I'd totally play. But man, as soon as I read ROGUE on any game I'm like NOPE. Last rogue game I played was Enter The Gungeon(it's actually in my top 10 of 2016) and it took me probably two months of on and off playing to experience most of the things that game had to offer and that's why you don't see many people talking about it because barely anyone put all that time into it yet, to get that memorable experience you pretty much have to or else you're not qualified to talk about the game, at all.

I'm done for a year or two now before I jump into another rogue game which will probably be Flinthook or Dead Cells when it leaves early access.

imBask

Banned
I try not to do the whole "x genre is so overdone" thing, but when it comes to rougelites I've gone through the "hey this game looks co- oh it's a roguelite" cycle more than any other type of game.

On paper I'd even say I like roguelites a lot. I can't deny the disappointment I often feel when I find out something is one, though.

I mean i've played over 500h of Binding of Isaac but i'm super done with that genre

drabnon

Yeah I don't know why Dan's first example of roguelite is Dark Souls. My mind goes to Binding of Isaac, FTL, Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, etc. Dark Souls isn't a roguelite at all

Antiwhippy

Counterstrike doesn't really count because you have set map layouts and you can control your loadouts.

PUBG to me is mostly about how your loadout is so dependent on the drops you find in your run.

Also kinda not really, but the map can feel somewhat randomised due to how the circle mechanic works? A bit more of a stretch for sure but hey.

That's why it's a rogue-lite.

swimbuff

Man remember when we used to get Beast in the East on Mondays? Mondays suck now. I hope the haters are happy.

Also Wind Up Bird Chronicle is fucking great. It's my favourite Murakami.

Dany

Banned
I am behind on content. Ever since the BitE finale. Finally have a few days off. Anything worthwhile? I am caught up on Murder island and Steal your sunshine.

I am behind on content. Ever since the BitE finale. Anything worthwhile?

Having watched everything(except for Dota), I recommend these.

Steal My Sunshine ep 2-3
Jar Time 7/20/2017
The End is Nigh(secret Breaking Brad with Jeff & Ben talkin sandwiches)
Beast in the East: Yakuza 0 - The Supplemental Material
Serial Cleaner(trust me)
Unprofessional Fridays: 07/28/2017
Kingdom Heartache: Episode 01(some good Disney and KH bullshit talk)
Blue Bombin': Mega Man 5 - Part 01(extra Beastcast)
The two Murder Island videos, especially The Assassination of Murder Island by the Cowards Giant Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom