• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly wouldn't mind it as a consumer of site content, but in a greater context I understand why that wouldn't and probably shouldn't happen. As far as fixing it for me, I'm not sure what would. Maybe a bit more energy from Ben? He always seems so lethargic on-camera, and perhaps it'll just take him time to find his sweet spot so to speak. Obviously GB trades in authenticity and being genuine, so if that's how he is then that's how he is. But even if there's no easy fix for the criticisms leveled against Ben, that doesn't invalidate those criticisms or make them pointless.

At a certain point, if a large enough segment of your audience is displeased with a recent addition to the product they've been paying for, maybe the answer isn't to just dig your heels in and sweep them all under the rug of assholes and haters.

Honestly, if I could pay a reduced premium price for just GBEast content and not receive GBWest's offerings, I'd do it. And I bet I'm not the only one.

See, I find this type of constructive, respectful criticism great. I don't think anyone should change themselves for anyone. Ben is Ben, that's it. I do respect your honesty though and I don't mind if GB in the future did that sort of thing where you'd pay half to get just one side of the content from the site but at the same time I understand why they wouldn't because GB has always been a group effort working on a cohesive whole, and always will be. But, I'm a believer in options. Options are always good in my book.
And peak UPF for me was Vinny, Jeff, Brad and Drew. IMO its never been as good as it was then, but I'm not going to complain about it on a weekly basis. If people stop watching it, they will have to change, but as long as its still the most watched thing people need to realize that they are in the minority here and are coming off like a broken record.

When I get tired of something, I just stop watching it. If you are at this point maybe its time to cancel your subscription if you're not getting what you want from the site anymore.

Yup.

DamnBoxes

Honestly, if I could pay a reduced premium price for just GBEast content and not receive GBWest's offerings, I'd do it. And I bet I'm not the only one.

CRmCy5r.gif

oti

Banned
FOR JUST $5 MORE PER MONTH YOU GET ACCESS TO THE 24/7 GERSTMANN GARAGE CAM BE THE FIRST TO KNOW WHICH GAME JEFF HOLDS!

And peak UPF for me was Vinny, Jeff, Brad and Drew. IMO its never been as good as it was then, but I'm not going to complain about it on a weekly basis. If people stop watching it, they will have to change, but as long as its still the most watched thing people need to realize that they are in the minority here and are coming off like a broken record.

When I get tired of something, I just stop watching it. If you are at this point maybe its time to cancel your subscription if you're not getting what you want from the site anymore.

Honestly stop being so fucking defensive, they don't care.

This thread:

"If you complain, complain constructively"

You complain constructively and it's

"Cancel your sub"

Honestly stop being so fucking defensive, they don't care.

This thread:

"If you complain, complain constructively"

You complain constructively and it's

"Cancel your sub"

Its not defensive its a response to what a few people have turned this thread into.

Acting like they are Prometheus, in eternal punishment for spreading the gospel of how bad UPF is, chained to a rock in the Caucasus forced to pay for a subscription in perpetuity while a winged Ben Peck removes their liver every Friday.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Remember when everybody was like "I can't wait for the new hires so we can all hate them lol *wink* *wink* /s"

It's Patrick all over again.

justjim89

See, I find this type of constructive, respectful criticism great. I don't think anyone should change themselves for anyone. Ben is Ben, that's it. I do respect your honesty though and I don't mind if GB in the future did that sort of thing where you'd pay half to get just one side of the content from the site but at the same time I understand why they wouldn't because GB has always been a group effort working on a cohesive whole ,and always will be. But, I'm a believer in options. Options are always good in my book.

I can definitely understand why they wouldn't do it, because I'm betting it would take a bite into their profits a bit. But it would be nice. And I'm glad you see I'm not trying to be unreasonable here. Ben seems like a cool enough dude. Hell, he likes Morrowind and that earns him bonus points in my book. Turn that into content somehow. But I'm just not entertained by the guy thus far and that coincides with what been a drought in quality from GBWest as a whole lately, so it makes him look worse by juxtaposition.

I think GB fans are quick to yell out any criticism because many of us, me included from time to time, identify with these guys as if they were personal friends, and jump in to defend like one may a close friend. I love the duders, I love the site, and it's helped me get through the darkest periods of my life. But at the end of the day these guys are entertainers who are providing us a service that we, in turn, pay for. And I think that's important to keep in perspective.

Its not defensive its a response to what a few people have turned this thread into.

Acting like they are Prometheus, in eternal punishment for spreading the gospel of how bad UPF is, chained to a rock in the Caucasus forced to pay for a subscription in perpetuity while a winged Ben Peck removes their liver every Friday.

You and others are all up in here pretending you want constructive dialogue about Giant Bomb content to cut through the shit posting and then when it happens you want people to cancel their subs.

How is that constructive? If everyone cancelled their subs there would be no Giant Bomb.

What y'all really want is people to be positive all the time, say nothing bad about your internet heroes in case they whine on Twitter and it's just bonkers.

Do they still have to hire a 2nd video person for GB West?

I like Ben. I like video content featuring Ben. I would like to see new video features with Ben. I would guess that there could be a bit of a bottleneck with Jason having to do all the production stuff himself.

Fantastapotamus

You and others are all up in here pretending you want constructive dialogue about Giant Bomb content to cut through the shit posting and then when it happens you want people to cancel their subs.

How is that constructive? If everyone cancelled their subs there would be no Giant Bomb.

What y'all really want is people to be positive all the time, say nothing bad about your internet heroes in case they whine on Twitter and it's just bonkers.

There's a difference between "I think UPF sucks" and "Ben sucks, his voice sucks and he doesn't do anything fun". If you don't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you.
It's not so different from people attacking certain developers on Twitter because they didn't like a game they made, you know.

There's a difference between "I think UPF sucks" and "Ben sucks, his voice sucks and he doesn't do anything fun". If you don't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you.
It's not so different from people attacking certain developers on Twitter because they didn't like a game they made, you know.

Read my post before accusing me of shit. There was nothing in that post personal and the guy has gone straight to "cancel ur sub m8", which got a "Yup." from the dude looking for constructive GB criticism.

oti

Banned
I can definitely understand why they wouldn't do it, because I'm betting it would take a bite into their profits a bit. But it would be nice. And I'm glad you see I'm not trying to be unreasonable here. Ben seems like a cool enough dude. Hell, he likes Morrowind and that earns him bonus points in my book. Turn that into content somehow. But I'm just not entertained by the guy thus far and that coincides with what been a drought in quality from GBWest as a whole lately, so it makes him look worse by juxtaposition.

I think GB fans are quick to yell out any criticism because many of us, me included from time to time, identify with these guys as if they were personal friends, and jump in to defend like one may a close friend. I love the duders, I love the site, and it's helped me get through the darkest periods of my life. But at the end of the day these guys are entertainers who are providing us a service that we, in turn, pay for. And I think that's important to keep in perspective.

Of course they wouldn't do that. Just the additional costs for organising different subscriptions would kill this idea.

Maybe I'm weird but I don't really think in West and East categories. I'd never go "I only care about West/East". It's all GB to me. I friggin LOVE Jeff and Brad together, even if their tastes do not align with mine aka are garbage. My problem with West is there's no-one who shakes things up. Maybe Ben will be that guy but up to now he really isn't. And East to me, again, still feels really new. And now they have Vinny, Dan and Abby. All of them feel really unique in their own way.

Do they still have to hire a 2nd video person for GB West?

I like Ben. I like video content featuring Ben. I would like to see new video features with Ben. I would guess that there could be a bit of a bottleneck with Jason having to do all the production stuff himself.

Of course.
Maybe im weird but I don't really think in West and East categories.

Yup, same here. As I said before
I find it weird when someone focuses on one person when GB ever since its inception has been a group effort where everyone of them builds on each others weaknesses. Like seeing GB as only EAST VS WEST and then going even deeper with seeing GB as just one person just seems real fucking weird to me.

What is to gain from complaining about on this thread? Its the equivalent of shouting at the clouds.

And you are making a ton of assumptions about what my feelings about the staff are.

Its not that I don't want them criticized, its just that I'm tired of seeing the same people making the same arguments, and not acknowledging that they are in the MINORITY.

Hasney

If they did split subs, I probably would kill off the east side of my sub. Beastcast is free and I enjoy it and BitE is alright, but not worth paying just for that for and the Playdates/bring your B game stuff I usually end up tuning out of bored knowing there isn't another game segment if that one sucks so I could just let them build up and sub for a month. So yeah, probably wouldn't be a great idea for them to split it.

Hasney

West should just hire me to defend certain Sonic games because everyone would enjoy that. I couldn't defend anything after and including Sonic Heroes bar All Stars, or the Advance games. Or Sonic the Fighters. Or the Master System ones that aren't 1, 2 or Chaos. Or the DS games, but the rest, awesome!

Fantastapotamus

Read my post before accusing me of shit. There was nothing in that post personal and the guy has gone straight to "cancel ur sub m8", which got a "Yup." from the dude looking for constructive GB criticism.

The tweet from Ben you referred to was (possibly) a reaction to that shit post here earlier. So if you keep talking about that Tweet and criticize how people defend "their internet heroes because they whine on Twitter" than you can't detach yourself completely from the context of that tweet.

Meguro

Banned
When is OT31 so this shit stops. We've reached the "talking in circles" part of discussion on the internet. I think it's time to step back and take another look at this the next time there's significant content out from either coast.

The tweet from Ben you referred to was (possibly) a reaction to that shit post here earlier. So if you keep talking about that Tweet and criticize how people defend "their internet heroes because they whine on Twitter" then you can't detach yourself completely from the context of that tweet.

I've called that guy out multiple times man, what I'm saying is people pretend they only hate the shitposting, because it's an easy target and of course everyone hates it, but the truth is the people railing it against it most are being disingenuous because actually they hate any criticism of GB, which is an absurd position to take.

yami4ct

As long as we're just bitching, I might as well say the production issues are real and are bringing down nearly every West stream. Including really good ones like the Sega stream. It's not worth having an extra man out on stream all the time if it means the quality of the whole show drops so steeply. Jason can have segments for sure, but they need him in the control room.

oti

Banned
I really enjoy the volume of content they've been putting out lately. Two East streams per week is amazing, Monday Murder stream is great (although it's not my favourite game but it's always an event on here).

They still seem to have problems with establishing premium formats though for whatever reason. Bring your B game has potential if it wasn't for their dumb explanations what a bloody B game actually was.

The last good format for them has got to be VRodeo, which isn't Premium. And it shouldn't be. As Jeff has said it does well for them. It's a great Was to explore new VR stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom