• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

imBask

Banned
One man band YouTubers can produce shows with high production values easily. I refuse to believe that both coasts couldn't produce a LOT more content every day if they really put their mind to it.

There should be two premium shows per day, per coast.

I disagree with the work load, they have other stuff to do

although I refuse to buy the resource excuse when they have a studio worth tens of thousands of dollars, yet I can stream a ps2 game from my bedroom for less than $50. The purpose of that studio is to stream video games, if they can't stream video games somebody did a bad job

Hasney

One man band YouTubers can produce shows with high production values easily. I refuse to believe that both coasts couldn't produce a LOT more content every day if they really put their mind to it.

That's insane. You're insane.

When I started working in a larger, more corporate environment, I was amazed at just how fucking long the smallest tasks would take because of all the red tape you had to wade through. Things that should take an afternoon take over a week, it's insane. I'm sure they'd love the streamline but sometimes it's out of your hands.

When I started working for a larger, more corporate environment, I was amazed at just how fucking long the smallest tasks would take because of all the red tape you had to wade through. Things that should take an afternoon take over a week, it's insane. I'm sure they'd love the streamline but sometimes it's out of your hands.

Exactly. So many meetings you are required to attend.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I just want more Demo Derbies and Vinny playing more FMV games.

i 100% feel like my premium sub is worth it, especially since Abby has more than filled the void Austin left

having said that, i would love more of Vinny playing FMV / adventure games. him & Abby going through the nancy drew game & the opening of re7 were pure gold.

When I started working in a larger, more corporate environment, I was amazed at just how fucking long the smallest tasks would take because of all the red tape you had to wade through. Things that should take an afternoon take over a week, it's insane. I'm sure they'd love the streamline but sometimes it's out of your hands.

you nailed it bud

meetings on meetings on meetings

This
CarfhN9.png
hour
CarfhN9.png
long
CarfhN9.png
meeting
CarfhN9.png
could
CarfhN9.png
have
CarfhN9.png
been
CarfhN9.png
a
CarfhN9.png
two
CarfhN9.png
line
CarfhN9.png
email

Valtýr

You really have no idea what you're talking about and it's really embarrassing when people continuously come in and make claims about things they know little about.

although I refuse to buy the resource excuse when they have a studio worth tens of thousands of dollars, yet I can stream a ps2 game from my bedroom for less than $50. The purpose of that studio is to stream video games, if they can't stream video games somebody did a bad job

And I know you aren't being a dick but you also are talking about things you don't know about. You alone in your bedroom streaming PS2 games to Twitch is not equivalent to a studio streaming a game feed + multiple people with their own studio quality mics and cameras, with redundant video archival and multiple stream outputs.

The utopia idea of a stream studio designed for streaming being perfect and a one button approach doesn't exist. This stuff is hard for everyone. Especially when the person doing it is also the one on camera.

Only 1 was dubbed and it was.....EH. The rest of the series is all subtitled which is better.

I'm still fascinated by Yakuza's dubbing because Sega clearly wanted it to catch on in the west GTA style so instead of voice actors you have the likes of Michael Madsen, Eliza Dushku, Michael Rosenbaum, Rachel Leigh Cook, Mark Hamill is frickin' Majima. Bill Farmer (Goofy) was the detective and if you ever wanted to hear Goofy drop an F-bomb, Yakuza was the game for you.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Valtýr;245091000 said:
And I know you aren't being a dick but you also are talking about things you don't know about. You alone in your bedroom streaming PS2 games to Twitch is not equivalent to a studio streaming a game feed + multiple people with their own studio quality mics and cameras, with redundant video archival and multiple stream outputs.

The utopia idea of a stream studio designed for streaming being perfect and a one button approach doesn't exist. This stuff is hard for everyone. Especially when the person doing it is also the one on camera.

it is this very professionalism that makes GBP worth it. so much content is easily accessible in hq through all my devices and it's all done so well.

best in the business, imo.

This your first time in an office setting? Shit is always like that around here, I'm just lucky that I get to skip out on most of the meetings.

I've been in this kind of environment for years, just demonstrating one of the many frustrations.

My job allows me to skip a lot of those meetings too. That's what's nice about not being a supervisor.

I dunno, watching a premium show live is pretty much a nightmare for me on anything but my PC

Any time I can get a live stream full-screen and without any weird artifacts or buffering icon on my Android tablet, I don't even touch the thing until it's over. I wish their API allowed for the third-party apps to handle live streams.

Hasney

I dunno, watching a premium show live is pretty much a nightmare for me on anything but my PC

I don't use iOS anywhere, but my phone, tablet and PC are perfect these days. Only issue is my Android TV that forces me into using Opera (thanks Sony) and that has issues, but Chromecasting it works instead.

Any time I can get a live stream full-screen and without any weird artifacts or buffering icon on my Android tablet, I don't even touch the thing until it's over. I wish their API allowed for the third-party apps to handle live streams.

Odd, my Pixel C just works. Only think I hate is the interface that doesn't show timestamps when scrubbing.

imBask

Banned
Valtýr;245091000 said:

I understand and I agree to some extent, but yet they are ok with releasaing a bunch of Dota and PUBG videos with no cameras and horrible mic quality 2-3 times a week, so again it's just some excuses that are a little hard to swallow

Hasney

I understand and I agree to some extent, but yet they are ok with releasaing a bunch of Dota and PUBG videos with no cameras and horrible mic quality 2-3 times a week, so again it's just some excuses that are a little hard to swallow

Which is why they can stream from home if they want to like Jeff does, but the studio has so many steps that they've talked about before. Digital rivers serving up in so many formats, local recording, backups, a daisychain of HDMI inputs that even if you did a raw gamecapture and talking stream, you still need someone to look at the thing to make sure it's working. As both Vinny and Jaosn have proved, if you're busy playing/talking, it's hard to even remember gameplay is up so to monitor everything else on top.

daveo42

Banned
I've been in this kind of environment for years, just demonstrating one of the many frustrations.

My job allows me to skip a lot of those meetings too. That's what's nice about not being a supervisor.

Yeah, that's about the same as my situation. No direct reports, but I still run into the occasional meeting that is a waste of time for everyone involved. I've had a few of them with one third party company recently that could have been saved a few weeks of heartache by a one line email.

I don't have any real issues on my phone while at work. Screen size sucks, but it lets me watch some of the better streams without giving up work pc real estate and avoid any looks from management that I'm not doing my job.

imBask

Banned
Which is why they can stream from home if they want to like Jeff does, but the studio has so many steps that they've talked about before. Digital rivers serving up in so many formats, local recording, backups, a daisychain of HDMI inputs that even if you did a raw gamecapture and talking stream, you still need someone to look at the thing to make sure it's working. As both Vinny and Jaosn have proved, if you're busy playing/talking, it's hard to even remember gameplay is up so to monitor everything else on top.

But you're saying that as if it was an extra hassle on top of what they do. this is their job, making videos is what they do...

But we're getting far from my point which is, unless they have numbers showing Game Tapes and Demo Derby are not doing well as compared to Dota, using the studio limitation excuse is not a good one since they've made it work many times in the past

that "podcast" between Ben and Abby was really terrible. I was expecting their just talking about being the new hires and how it felt like being officially part of the crew, but it was just them doing bad improv.

1-man youtubers/streamers run much simpler setups in that they only record 1 camera with OBS or XSplit, with no redundancies, and only stream out to twitch/youtube. They don't keep local recordings in most cases so if the stream shits the bed or the website goes under the content is just lost. GB runs with like 3 redundancies iirc, and multiple cameras, which makes their setup complicated as all hell, and I think the West coast is dealing with some outdated equipment as well.

Granted, I still think they can do more at times. But they have a lot more overhead and corporate red tape to deal with, unfortunately.

That said the production quality on those DOTA videos with Brad's piss poor mic quality is kind of inexcusable.

LiK

Not all YouTubers are just recording a stream and doing nothing else. Some put a lot of work into editing their videos so it's not a complete bore. Some also use multiple camera setups similar to GB but without the expensive hardware/software that GB uses. Can't generalize all one man YTers.

that "podcast" between Ben and Abby was really terrible. I was expecting their just talking about being the new hires and how it felt like being officially part of the crew, but it was just them doing bad improv.

Wait, really? Guess I'll skip it.

Hottest of takes: These threads have always been great and I love the people in them. It kind of rubs me the wrong way when people come in to say "negativity" when there was always positivity and constructive criticism(this page is a good example) mixed in with the dry humor and sometimes, I'll be honest, exaggerated claims about what happened or how bad something is. From time to time you get a poster or two that rarely posts in here only to spread an asshole tier of an opinion that doesn't really benefit anyone.

I find it more problematic of the people who used to post her and now don't but keep calling these threads "dumpster fires/ruined threads" or whatever the fuck in other places. Like, why not engage and post more since you obviously care? Why not engage and liven up the conversation with your opinion about whatever? This is what I don't understand and yet why should I be surprised?

This thread has 901,113 views(it's always rising) and the posting is just 17,576. If you look at the top 10-20 people who post here, it's always the same group people more or less. Now, I obviously am not saying you should do what I tell you but come on, don't complain about these threads saying it's all negative or whatever when you barely read or engage with it.

Hasney

But you're saying that as if it was an extra hassle on top of what they do. this is their job, making videos is what they do...

Well, other than Vinny, Jason and Abby, their job is being personalities and editorial. So yes, it would be an extra hassle on top of what they do.

Catvoca

Banned
Ben/Abby podcast was pretty good. Some bits missed and it was very rough around the edges but I liked it. Abby's improv is funnier with Ben then it is on the Beastcast IMO.

Zaph

Their API now exposes the m3u8 for any current live stream (premium members), but apps need to be updated to check for it.

well maybe selling out was like, wrong maaannn

also their studio looks better than the GB one...
For KF to exist, they've had to do deals and hosting for publishers in a way that would kill GB for me

Now, I obviously am not saying you should do what I tell you but come on, don't complain about these threads saying it's all negative or whatever when you barely read or engage with it.

Yup. Unless its spiteful/ignorant, complaints about people's criticisms are the worst derailments and usually goes on for way longer than the critique in question.

I've gotten the impression that selling to CBSi hasn't worked out like they thought it would

but then the site wouldn't be around if they hadn't done so

kind of a bummer all around

well maybe selling out was like, wrong maaannn

Maybe it doesn't bother you but it bothers me which is why I don't watch "Kinda Funny". Even though I like Greg Miller and I enjoyed his reviews back when he was with IGN. However, I respect the hell out of the path GB took. Jeff could have made GB 100x bigger if he wanted to but no because it's not about that, it's about principle. Some people care, some people don't. I'm one of those people that do and that's why I consume, support and fuck around with GB.

Now, it also helps that I've been watching these duders since the end of 2004 so at this point I'm on this ride all the way to the very end.

The app on Xbox One is *CHEFF'S KISS*. Never failed me.

imBask

Banned
Maybe it doesn't bother you but it bothers me which is why I don't watch "Kinda Funny". Even though I like Greg Miller and I enjoyed his reviews back when he was with IGN. However, I respect the hell out of the path GB took. Jeff could have made GB 100x bigger if he wanted to but no because it's not about that, it's about principle. Some people care, some people don't. I'm one of those people that do and that's why I consume, support and fuck around with GB.

Now, it also helps that I've been watching these duders since the end of 2004 so at this point I'm on this ride all the way to the very end.

wait what

you have respect for Jeff because he stopped the growth of his website by principle? what principle are you talking about, what are you talking about, what does this have to do with anything I said and why are you kinda calling me out for having "no principle"

wait what

you have respect for Jeff because he stopped the growth of his website by principle? what principle are you talking about, what are you talking about, what does this have to do with anything I said

I am very confused as well. It's like he thought you meant Kinda Funny sold out.

But we're getting far from my point which is, unless they have numbers showing Game Tapes and Demo Derby are not doing well as compared to Dota, using the studio limitation excuse is not a good one since they've made it work many times in the past

They do have numbers, Jeff even posted them one week on some social media (showing UPF was the most viewed). Making assumptions about their workload and what they are currently doing is a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom