• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does but it's not always like that. To say that it's always like that is flat out wrong.

NO one has said its always like that, I said the majority of it is negative.

And I agree I shouldn't have said that, It can be negative, but you are correct it can be positive as well. That's why I am here, and yeah I call Dan's bullshit (or what I perceive as bullshit) out. But I also like Dan esp when he not trying to get a rise out of people. but whatever. if those comments totally invalidate any other opinion i have then so be it

I am in this thread because i like GB all of it. and I enjoy the good positive parts of this thread.

daveo42

Banned
I don't necessarily think that your attacking Jason's character, it's more that you seem short sighted about the history of the site? I mean trying to be an on camera personality and manning production is literally what Vinny did when the beastcrew started, and yes there were production issues when he did that. It just made the talks at the time about Jason seem a little overboard is all.

Now if you want to say that's more forgivable because Vinny is a better on screen personality I'll actually agree with you.

I think the Jason talk comes up more because things at West seemed to be sailing rather smoothly until Drew left. People ignore the fact that Dan went East and Drew left around the same time, leaving West understaffed as well as the fact that West pulled the tricaster and replaced their production pipeline all at about the same time. While things have been kind of rocky at West, most of that has been related to staffing up and the need for a second producer.

East worked out a bit better because Vinny has a more experience as well as a much more confined studio to deal with

LiK

This thread would be pretty boring without people ribbing on the staff occasionally. Also, if this thread was really that bad, Dan wouldn't be posting here. He enjoys the feedback from what I've seen. Most of them still lurk and even Ben took the mustache posts to heart and made it a joke on his twitter.

feedback like "this feature is utter shit"?

very useful imo

I'm not saying everyone here is bad but there are like 5 people who are so consistently negative that it brings the whole thing down

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like to be clear you don't really have to emphatise with anything really. Unless people go on actual personal attacks i think it's fine. Their personality is what they're trying to sell and criticism of that is fine honestly as long as it's about how it affects the content rather than talking shit about their personal traits.

And i don't really think this thread does that.

I also seriously don't think you have to write an in depth dissertation on why you don't like their content. Like whatever, it's a fucking forum.

What gets me more is the constant passive aggressiveness but that's more of a personal thing really.

Thank you to the thread for introducing me to the GB Player Xbox One app because any time I tried to watch stuff on the Edge browser it would always 100% crash the browser...

imBask

Banned

very useful imo

I'm not saying everyone here is bad but there are like 5 people who are so consistently negative that it brings the whole thing down

feedback like "this thread is garbage"

very useful imo

very useful imo

I have to say, I really don't care if people perceive my criticism as constructive, useful or not. Sometimes I think stuff they do is utter shit.

Btw the Dota conversations have been going on and on at giantbomb.com, where I haven't discussed it at all, it's not a GAF unique thing.

NO one has said its always like that, I said the majority of it is negative.

That's just human nature, and not exclusive to this thread or forum. We naturally tend to dwell on the negative. And then on top of that, there's a stigma for focusing on the positive all the time: "sucking dick", etc.

daveo42

Banned

very useful imo

I shit on Dota because I don't like Dota and am not interested in their Dota content. Yeah, it's usually poorly worded and a one-off post, but it is something I've seen them do before and I find it to be bad. Is that because I don't like Dota? Sure, but it's also me voicing (poorly) my opposition to more of that kind of content.

We can all agree on one thing. Everyone is honest here. ��

Yup. No one on the internet ever lies.

Catvoca

Banned
I don't actually follow Giant Bomb, I only post in this thread because I love meta discussions about what constitutes fair criticism and what is just mean.

Antiwhippy

It is more enjoyable to read justified, well articulated criticism than flyby comments, though.

But if you don't want to, then why should you really.

Like I'll write in depth on why i like the content, but that's my own personal trait. I certainly don't want this thread to be that formal.

I don't actually follow Giant Bomb, I only post in this thread because I love meta discussions about what constitutes fair criticism and what is just mean.

I mean, it's not like we have any content to discuss anyway, right?

This was a joke.

But if you don't want to, then why should you really.

Like I'll write in depth on why i like the content, but that's my own personal trait. I certainly don't want this thread to be that formal.

Oh no, definitely not. It's just that with a flyby comment that's usually the end of the discussion for me. There's nothing for me to latch onto or engage with. But hell, I post flyby comments all the time; but I don't expect people to really engage with those at all, or take them seriously.

you may not think they are bad people in the sense that Colin Moriarty is a bad person, but a shitty criticism of Giant Bomb content can be hurtful to the person who made it, and most of the criticism posted in this thread is halfhearted at best. yet people always try to hide behind the smokescreen of it being "constructive" when it's hardly ever approaching that.

(this is not an indictment of you personally, just the thread as a whole)

to say nothing of the fact that there are posts all the time that directly question staff members' work ethic and competency

This is a gross exaggeration of what goes in this thread tbh. Actual personal attacks are the exception even among the negative posts. And most of it has generally been aimed at Dan.

like, I personally just can't get behind the idea that "Giant Bomb is a thing I pay for like toilet paper or Hot Pockets, I should get to talk shit about it if I want"

sure, go ahead and do that, it's your prerogative. but to me there's very much a difference and I'd go so far as to say it's hard for me to even understand the other side of it
The power of brands at work!

image.php

Thank you to the thread for introducing me to the GB Player Xbox One app because any time I tried to watch stuff on the Edge browser it would always 100% crash the browser...

It's a beautiful app.

Meneses

very useful imo

Well, the GB duders aren't exactly the most tactful of critics either, it's not rare at all to hear them describe something as garbage or terrible.

I take it as mostly comedic hyperbole with some basis of real intent.

Antiwhippy

Also honestly, even the negative posts here mostly (probably) come from a place of love. Like Giantbomb had changed a lot over the years. There's bound to be old fans who don't like the changes or only likes a certain part of it now. There's no helping it really.

BearPawB

Banned
This thread has 901,113 views(it's always rising) and the posting is just 17,576. If you look at the top 10-20 people who post here, it's always the same group people more or less. Now, I obviously am not saying you should do what I tell you but come on, don't complain about these threads saying it's all negative or whatever when you barely read or engage with it.

and it turns out a lot of the 10-20 people who post here excessively fill it with negative bullshit

and now i am being all negative, see i can join in the fun!

This stuck out to me.. it seems pretty selfish (a word I tried to find a less intense synonym for on thesaurus.com without luck). Why don't you care?

Because it's my opinion and it's a discussion thread where you give your opinion about the topic. If people like it or find it useful that's cool, but it's not keeping me up at night and I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think anyone cares I think UPF or their hot new Dota feature sucks tbqh.

LiK

Also honestly, even the negative posts here mostly (probably) come from a place of love. Like Giantbomb had changed a lot over the years. There's bound to be old fans who don't like the changes or only likes a certain part of it now. There's no helping it really.

I wish they didn't bring back Dota.

to abruptly change the subject, real question for y'all:

do you think Splatoon (2) would have the same kind of impact and following if it were released on Steam or something instead of being a Nintendo exclusive? like, I get that people are really into that game, but as an outsider who has only played it in bits and pieces, it feels pretty thin, and there are a ton of things about the experience that seem to really hamper it, such as the voice stuff, friend codes, scheduled events, map rotation, loadout changing, etc.

I just really wonder if it would have the same appeal if it was just one of the many indie games that happen to show up on Steam or for download on PS4 or XBONE

Between that abomination of a podcast, Mario Sunshine, and Kingdom Hearts....yurk this might be the worst stuff they've put out since the week of Farmville nonsense.

At least they put out so much stuff now that I have other stuff I'm still behind on and can just bail on F level improv / F level games.

do you think Splatoon (2) would have the same kind of impact and following if it were released on Steam or something instead of being a Nintendo exclusive? like, I get that people are really into that game, but as an outsider who has only played it in bits and pieces, it feels pretty thin, and there are a ton of things about the experience that seem to really hamper it, such as the voice stuff, friend codes, scheduled events, map rotation, loadout changing, etc.

I just really wonder if it would have the same appeal if it was just one of the many indie games that happen to show up on Steam or for download on PS4 or XBONE

If splatoon 2 (and arms tbh) were non nintendo games on steam people would see it say "oh that's neat" and never play it again and the game would be dead after a week.

BearPawB

Banned

the map rotation stuff is over exaggerated. That stuff ...doesn't matter at all to me.

But it feels like a game in need of one REALLY good patch. So i think if it was a steam game, I would expect more refinement...eventually

Because it's my opinion and it's a discussion thread where you give your opinion about the topic. If people like it or find it useful that's cool, but it's not keeping me up at night and I wouldn't be arrogant enough to think anyone cares tbqh.

Of course it's your opinion, same goes for everyone else. But there are benefits to more constructive feedback and consequences to mean stuff. They're not that hard to glean if we think it through for a moment.

And I don't think that it's arrogance to think people care, because we know for a fact that the people we're fans of do take feedback into account, even specifically from this thread. Vinny answered a Beastcast question confirming it like 4-5 days ago. It'd be arrogant if I tweeted at Hugh Jackman and expected a response or change, but that's not the scale we're at.

oti

Banned

If it wasn't Nintendo it wouldn't be as big as it is, especially in Japan.

I think many people give its little annoyances a pass, since it's so damn fun and unique. The big annoyances though everyone acknowledges. People seem to understand not everything about Splatoon is cool but it's still super cool overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom