• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason the site hasn't expanded beyond where it currently is has little to do with principles I would expect, but more a mixture of budget, comfort, hard hits (death, employees leaving) and enjoying what they do.

wait what

you have respect for Jeff because he stopped the growth of his website by principle? what principle are you talking about, what are you talking about, what does this have to do with anything I said and why are you kinda calling me out for having "no principle"

I'm not calling you out for having no principle, lmao. I just typed out my thoughts on how ads and all that rubs me the wrong way and that not all people feel that way which is fine. Hey, everyone needs to make a living and I respect that but on the other hand I don't like it.

Ha8O6MJ.png

I really don't
The reason the site hasn't expanded has little to do with principles I would expect, but more a mixture of budget, comfort, hard hits (death, employees leaving) and enjoying what they do.

That too but you really underestimate ads.
Jeff brings up his dreams of expanding the shit out of the site all the time

Yes but not in that way which is why I respect that.

I'm not calling you out, lmao. I just typed out my thoughts on how ads and all that rubs me the wrong way and that not all people feel that way which is fine. Hey, everyone needs to make a living and I respect that but on the other I don't like it.

Ha8O6MJ.png

I really don't

That too but you really underestimate ads.

Giant Bomb were never going to become a clickbait site but I would suggest that's more about the expectations of their audience than principles.

Hottest of takes: These threads have always been great and I love the people in them. It kind of rubs me the wrong way when people come in to say "negativity" when there was always positivity and constructive criticism(this page is a good example) mixed in with the dry humor and sometimes, I'll be honest, exaggerated claims about what happened or how bad something is. From time to time you get a poster or two that rarely posts in here only to spread an asshole tier of an opinion that doesn't really benefit anyone.

I find it more problematic of the people who used to post her and now don't but keep calling these threads "dumpster fires/ruined threads" or whatever the fuck in other places. Like, why not engage and post more since you obviously care? Why not engage and liven up the conversation with your opinion about whatever? This is what I don't understand and yet why should I be surprised?

This thread has 901,113 views(it's always rising) and the posting is just 17,576. If you look at the top 10-20 people who post here, it's always the same group people more or less. Now, I obviously am not saying you should do what I tell you but come on, don't complain about these threads saying it's all negative or whatever when you barely read or engage with it.

problem the vast majority of this thread is hot garbage, I am here because I love GB and the (all) people who work there. but the majority of this thread is negative (mean) bullshit.

imBask

Banned
I'm not calling you out for having no principle, lmao. I just typed out my thoughts on how ads and all that rubs me the wrong way and that not all people feel that way which is fine. Hey, everyone needs to make a living and I respect that but on the other I don't like it.

Ha8O6MJ.png

But that's not Kinda Funny... KF has ads that are exactly the same as GB, recorded segments before the podcast
I'm still a little confused.

problem the vast majority of this thread is hot garbage, I am here because I love GB and the (all) people who work there. but the majority of this thread is negative (mean) bullshit.

Giant Bomb is a website I pay for, they're not my friends and they could do better sometimes.

Sometimes they hit and I often say that, sometimes they suck and I say that too.

We don't really need to do this dance every time.

imBask

Banned
Giant Bomb is a website I pay for, they're not my friends and they could do better sometimes.

Sometimes they hit and I often say that, sometimes they suck and I say that too.

This guy on Giant Bomb dot com says brands are your friend tho

oti

Banned
But that's not Kinda Funny... KF has ads that are exactly the same as GB, recorded segments before the podcast

KF has sponsored content.
They released a Let's Play, sponsored by the game they let's played.

Jeff doesn't allow video game ads for any of their content.

imBask

Banned

eh sure, in that sense I guess

but idk that's fine if it's well indicated, unlike that garbage picture DM posted where they were just mindlessly selling out to a bad video game

The last Bombcast was pretty damn good actually. State fair talk felt like some prime 2011 era stuff. And I've been listening to 2011 stuff all the time during work.

I watch more West now since Ben joined fo' sure. It was pretty dull before that with Jason having to spend all the time producing and not in front of the camera as well as it just being Jef/Brad/Rorie. Rarely ever miss the live podcast now.

dont be weird about the crew

yoo septum piercing tho 😍 amirite guys

Ben is the only GB member I know of who is actually willing to give Kingdom Hearts a decent shake, so I'm cool with him. I'm sure for some of you that lands him on your shitlist tho, so I'm probably not helping his case

Anyways, guys, I don't think people are being mean when they say that they're not enjoying GB West content. People are paying for a product and they can voice their concerns about it. The GB guys are on a personality driven website, so their personalities are always going to be the subject of debate. I don't think people were unnecessarily cruel to Ben in those posts, and I say that as someone who generally likes the guy.

Vinny messing with Bakalar during the dice story was the hardest I've laughed in some time.

threw Beast in the East episode 1 on the second monitor as it is 'work from home tuesday'

this is pretty great. does the game feature dubbing at all?

yeah man, they seem like they could be tricky but i got a real weakness for em

Don't normally feel the need to drop my opinions of the guys work in this thread but as there's a lot of negative stuff about I think it's only fair if I put my positive impressions in.

I thought Ben had a rough start, in a lot of ways he felt like part of the furniture on day 1 because he had a lot of history with the site and everyone on it, but I think he's really started to put his mark on it now and stands out as a fresh personality. The way he interacts with Brad and Jeff individually is really good and I think it's starting to bring better content out of all 3 of the West guys now, in a similar way to how Dan really brought out the best in Drew, I can see Ben having that same effect on Brad and Jeff.

Well said, I agree! Ben has definitely brought more energy to West and is actively making new content and other content that better by being in it. I watch all content but West content has definitely improved since he started.

i 100% feel like my premium sub is worth it, especially since Abby has more than filled the void Austin left

having said that, i would love more of Vinny playing FMV / adventure games. him & Abby going through the nancy drew game & the opening of re7 were pure gold.

you nailed it bud

meetings on meetings on meetings

Come again? These were taken from the past page or two. Sometimes I think people only read what they want to read.

I've heard people say this about Dan but I can bull shit

We've seen him repeatedly ask the same questions and retain nothing. He doesn't Google/read wiki on things he continually asks. He doesn't want to learn. He wants to keep it going. I'm almost certain he acts dumb all the time he's being recorded as no one could seriously be as dumb as he acts

What part of this isn't mean bullshit?

daveo42

Banned
Giant Bomb were never going to become a clickbait site but I would suggest that's more about the expectations of their audience than principles.

I'd say it has more to do with Jeff being old press than anything else. He'll make concessions for the site to keep it going, but nothing that goes against his journalistic principles back when that was still a thing for gaming sites.

they are people with feelings and due to the nature of the content they create they are intrinsically intertwined with that content

I can say that I think Dark Souls is a bad game without making a value judgement about the people who made it

when I say Giant Bomb content "sucks" (which is not really helpful terminology tbh) then you are also talking about the people who made that content, you can't not be

Personally I think it's worth being empathetic to that fact

Zaph

To keep the lights on, KF actively engages with publishers campaigns and Greg even hosts events. And they had to join an MCN with a questionable history of disclosure/conflict.

I like Greg and what he does, but comparing anything about them to GB is a waste of time.

LiK

I don't agree with this assessment at all. You'll need provide recent quotes of people being mean. Some people are just posting what they want from the site in terms of content.

they are people with feelings and due to the nature of the content they create they are intrinsically intertwined with that content

I can say that I think Dark Souls is a bad game without making a value judgement about the people who made it

when I say Giant Bomb content "sucks" (which is not really helpful terminology tbh) then you are also talking about the people who made that content, you can't not be

They are people with feelings, that's cool, I'm not here to try and destroy their lives. The most out of hand this thread gets is when there's a page or more of people saying UPF sucked because Brad played a boring game. They can probably handle it.

Come again? These were taken from the past page or two. Sometimes I think people only read what they want to read.

I could do one of the negative posts but won't bother. I've said my piece.

And as to your original point for the most part that is what i do here is post my positive opinions. but if you want to get all butt hurt and make an enemy DM. go for it...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There were people who were pretty vocal about saying Jason being a bad producer.

And then when vinny forgot to put on gameplay for 10 whole minutes...

oti

Banned
eh sure, in that sense I guess

but idk that's fine if it's well indicated, unlike that garbage picture DM posted where they were just mindlessly selling out to a bad video game

"in that sense I guess"

What?

I guess it's fine for the YouTube generation that doesn't care or can't really differentiate between ad and content anymore.

But the moment they'd allow video game ads is the moment old GB is dead.

Apparently I am the fuck up for thinking this thread can be negative. Sorry. I am done.

EDIT.

Also my post about Dan, I stand by that I never once said he was a bad person or i didn't like him.

I pointed out the character he plays never seems to learn to improve himself and continues to ask the same questions over and over and retain nothing, But whatever you all know so much better than I do.

Ah, didn't know they did that. I don't really watch any Kinda Funny stuff. I understand where Death Metalist is coming from now.

Also, if you don't think the quality and quantity of Giant Bomb's output is worth it for you to support them, then leave that feedback. Jeff and co. obviously care about that. Posting in this thread I guess counts as leaving feedback, but it's like the least effective way of doing it. If you think something like Kinda Funny's output is more worth your money, and you're okay with their practices (which I wasn't even aware of before today), then go for it.

It's pretty similar to Dan's Wal-mart segment on the Beastcast, I guess. How much is it on the consumer to educate themselves on everything that is going into the product they are consuming?

There were people who were pretty vocal about saying Jason being a bad producer.

And then when vinny forgot to put on gameplay for 10 whole minutes...

The production issues at West have sucked for ages, a one off incident with Vinny that kind of shows how you shouldn't be on camera when trying production stuff (i.e. my main issue with Jason) doesn't really change my mind about that.

Vinny doing that on East works more often than not and that's great but West were struggling and seem to have addressed it for the most part.

You can take it as a critique of Jason's character all you want!

I could do one of the negative posts but won't bother. I've said my piece.

And as to your original point for the most part that is what i do here is post my positive opinions. but if you want to get all butt hurt and make an enemy DM. go for it...

I mean we could keep making quotes of list of positivity and negativity as we go pages and pages back but that just goes to show that this thread is not all negative mean bullshit as you say it is. I'm not making an enemy lol and I'm certainly not butthurt. It's just what it is.

It's important to know that this thread like any community thread is spontaneous and I guess what you see depends on when you come and look at this thread. After all it's 17,000+ of posts. Who the fuck has time to skim through most of the pages? only a very small minority of people would do that. We post here because we are passionate about GB, end of story.
why am i quoted here? i don't even think i was talking to you

I was just saying an example that there is positivity and negativity(constructive critiscm) all throughout the thread.

Being mean is the lazy way to be critical. Just saying whatever id-level stuff comes to mind.

But being more thoughtful with criticism isn't that hard, and it's worth it. Makes this thread more fun for the people that browse it regularly.

And if you want to think about it in a utilitarian sense, if you have feedback on a feature that you want someone to see, they're more likely to see it if they check this thread regularly. And they're more likely to do THAT if the thread's not a slog to read.

oh come on, dude

I can think that Giant Bomb is doing a bad job without thinking that they're bad people (or bad at their job, for that matter)

like, I personally just can't get behind the idea that "Giant Bomb is a thing I pay for like toilet paper or Hot Pockets, I should get to talk shit about it if I want"

sure, go ahead and do that, it's your prerogative. but to me there's very much a difference and I'd go so far as to say it's hard for me to even understand the other side of it

BTA

Just because there's a lot of positivity too doesn't mean this thread/GB community here doesn't get negative in specifically gross ways at times.

I'm not misremembering that GB threads almost got shut down for good here except for the fact that we had a mod hanging out in the threads, right?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The production issues at West have sucked for ages, a one off incident with Vinny that kind of shows how you shouldn't be on camera when trying production stuff (i.e. my main issue with Jason) doesn't really change my mind about that.

You can take it as a critique of Jason's character all you want!
I don't necessarily think that your attacking Jason's character, it's more that you seem short sighted about the history of the site? I mean trying to be an on camera personality and manning production is literally what Vinny did when the beastcrew started, and yes there were production issues when he did that. It just made the talks at the time about Jason seem a little overboard is all.

Now if you want to say that's more forgivable because Vinny is a better on screen personality I'll actually agree with you.

LiK

We complain about shit we don't like and praise them for stuff we like. That's all part of the feedback. If they say something stupid or crazy, they'll get called out. But almost everyone here will support them and praise them as well. People can be "mean" but I've seen plenty of people be super positive as well.

I don't believe anyone here is actively hatewatching them just for the hell of it.

Just because there's a lot of positivity too doesn't mean this thread/GB community here doesn't get negative in specifically gross ways at times.

I'm not misremembering that GB threads almost got shut down for good here except for the fact that we had a mod hanging out in the threads, right?

This is not something unique to gaf, there have been plenty negative comment threads on GB site and Reddit in recent months.

Sometimes their content sucks and it's fine to say so.

BTA

This is not something unique to gaf, there have been plenty negative comment threads on GB site and Reddit in recent months.

Sometimes their content sucks and it's fine to say so.

There's always been shitty parts of the GB community; that's not new.

I'm not talking about legitimate criticism of the content here. I'm talking about the gross ways people treat the staff like they're not real people.

Just because there's a lot of positivity too doesn't mean this thread/GB community here doesn't get negative in specifically gross ways at times

It does but it's not always like that. To say that it's always like that is flat out wrong.
This thread can swing so hard and fast at times. It's quite something.

It's like being on the best rollercoaster ride of your life.

like, I personally just can't get behind the idea that "Giant Bomb is a thing I pay for like toilet paper or Hot Pockets, I should get to talk shit about it if I want"

sure, go ahead and do that, it's your prerogative. but to me there's very much a difference and I'd go so far as to say it's hard for me to even understand the other side of it

I would say I don't find it surprising at all that people on the internet can disengage from normal levels of empathy during their anonymous virtual critiques, if you can even call them critiques.

I don't necessarily think that your attacking Jason's character, it's more that you seem short sighted about the history of the site? I mean trying to be an on camera personality and manning production is literally what Vinny did when the beastcrew started, and yes there were production issues when he did that. It just made the talks at the time about Jason seem a little overboard is all.

Now if you want to say that's more forgivable because Vinny is a better on screen personality I'll actually agree with you.

Vinny is better on screen and even when he fucks up it's usually entertaining unless it's something blatant like that gameplay feed (which he even threw in a goof for in the archive). They do audio checks and video checks with the audience before live streams and it goes a long way.

Jason is better off screen and when there's production fuck ups at West it feels awkward and detracts from my enjoyment of the actual content.

That's my take on it, it don't think it's a particularly controversial stance and I dunno if I need to know the history of the site to have an opinion on it.

Yea i disagree with the "entire thread is bad" rhetoric that being spewed and it reeks of confirmation bias tbh.

There is always a combination of positivity and negativity in here its just that the negativity can be extremely negative and its usually devoid of tact

oh come on, dude

I can think that Giant Bomb is doing a bad job without thinking that they're bad people (or bad at their job, for that matter)

you may not think they are bad people in the sense that Colin Moriarty is a bad person, but a shitty criticism of Giant Bomb content can be hurtful to the person who made it, and most of the criticism posted in this thread is halfhearted at best. yet people always try to hide behind the smokescreen of it being "constructive" when it's hardly ever approaching that.

(this is not an indictment of you personally, just the thread as a whole)

to say nothing of the fact that there are posts all the time that directly question staff members' work ethic and competency

imBask

Banned
"in that sense I guess"

What?

I guess it's fine for the YouTube generation that doesn't care or can't really differentiate between ad and content anymore.

But the moment they'd allow video game ads is the moment old GB is dead.

i'm saying they don't do Alex Jones ads, they don't shove in ads in the middle of their videos without specifying it or specifying when a video is sponsored, and I don't really have a problem with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom