• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it's your opinion, same goes for everyone else. But there are benefits to more constructive feedback and consequences to mean stuff. They're not that hard to glean if we think it through for a moment.

And I don't think that it's arrogance to think people care, because we know for a fact that the people we're fans of do take feedback into account, even specifically from this thread. Vinny answered a Beastcast question confirming it like 4-5 days ago. It'd be arrogant if I tweeted at Hugh Jackman and expected a response or change, but that's not the scale we're at.

I'm not sure GBWest care much about content feedback on GAF tbh, they mock it often enough, and if I wanted to be constructive about content or seek genuine response etc then I'd probably write into jar time or something.

Catvoca

Banned
to abruptly change the subject, real question for y'all:

do you think Splatoon (2) would have the same kind of impact and following if it were released on Steam or something instead of being a Nintendo exclusive? like, I get that people are really into that game, but as an outsider who has only played it in bits and pieces, it feels pretty thin, and there are a ton of things about the experience that seem to really hamper it, such as the voice stuff, friend codes, scheduled events, map rotation, loadout changing, etc.

I just really wonder if it would have the same appeal if it was just one of the many indie games that happen to show up on Steam or for download on PS4 or XBONE

I don't know if it would be quite as big but the gameplay and style are both incredible so I'm sure it would find an audience.

So we all agree the Beastcast should switch to live video? Agreed

giphy.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like does anyone actually watch the video bombcasts?

I don't want to devote my full attention to consuming a podcast.

I barely do that with their videos as it is already.

daveo42

Banned
So we all agree the Beastcast should switch to live video? Agreed

I don't think they have the space for it because Bakalar's on the cast and I think Abby is in the control room during recordings. If they had a separate camera for Abby it could work, but it would be weird. I'd want them to have a larger studio space first before doing them.

Better idea is they should just invade the CNET studio.

LiK

I think there were so many times I wanted to see what was happening on Beastcast, I want to see the action especially when Vinny and Jeff B are telling their stories.

oti

Banned

Pretty sure they need the video to get reach on YouTube. For whatever reason all video podcasts are like that nowadays. If the YouTube kids don't see humans talking into a microphone they're not #engaged.

I watch the Bombcast live after work every Tuesday.

I love the Steal My Sunshine series so far. One of my favourite Giant Bomb series in a while.

I haven't really been enjoying a lot of the Quick Looks recently and have watched many of them for about 10 minutes then flick through them or stop watching. I think it's because it's less entertaining and more informative discussion on games I lose interest in quite quickly.

I just really enjoy all of the Giant Bomb content recently except for all of the Quick Looks and I don't play DOTA so I don't watch that.

I would just like more features of them playing through full games, that's where my favourite pieces of GB content have been in the past.

Antiwhippy

Pretty sure they need the video to get reach on YouTube. For whatever reason all video podcasts are like that nowadays. If the YouTube kids don't see humans talking into a microphone they're not #engaged.

Do they actually need that audience though? I mean their youtube numbers on the bombcasts are decent but if they actually have to stay in business over that number they would have gone bust by now. Though that goes for their whole youtube channel in general.

Though my indifference towards it is also because I'm usually asleep when they do the streaming. :p

oti

Banned
There kinda were a lot of boring QLs lately. Not their fault every second game is a roguelike platformer with pixel graphics nowadays.

I wish they'd use that time otherwise though.

I really, REALLY, hope they'll bring some Sims 4 console content. Like Abby managing a GB house or something with weekly (or daily for a week) check-ins.

Do they actually need that audience though? I mean their youtube numbers on the bombcasts are decent but if they actually have to stay in business over that number they would have gone bust by now. Though that goes for their whole youtube channel in general.

Though my indifference towards it is also because I'm usually asleep when they do the streaming. :p

It probably helps their podcast ad sales numbers

BTA

My weird need to watch Bombcast as video now (even if only off to the side) that it exists is also why I haven't actually gotten around to watching/listening all year. Gotta work on that.

Anyway- sorry if I came across as saying all crit is bad, and I'm not specifically talking about anything recent here. I think it is important to be able to criticize things, especially if it's something you're paying for. But keep in mind that despite CBS owning them, you're directly criticizing a small team of people that do not have a huge buffer of separation from you. I'm 100% not saying Always Be Nice Online but just not making content you like as much isn't something that merits criticizing a person themselves. I think there are lines there - for example, Dan definitely says some stuff that are indicative of his privilege/ignorance and that's absolutely worth talking about - but if something's harmless it's kinda hurtful to complain about without putting thought into your wording.

In any case- I know I'm easily amused, but I'm really happy with the direction the site's gone and I'm enjoying stuff more than ever, and that's with mostly consuming Beast stuff alone.

Yeah, always. I'm not sitting there focused on them like I'm watching a movie, but I look over frequently when they're trying to explain something in order to watch their hand gestures, or I'll look to see if they're being serious with an opinion or if they're quietly smirking/laughing which doesn't play in audio.

I rarely listen to the Beastcast, but I genuinely think I would be more likely to do it if a video version popped up in front of me when I'm dicking around on YouTube.

Lari

There kinda were a lot of boring QLs lately. Not their fault every second game is a roguelike platformer with pixel graphics nowadays.

I really, REALLY, hope they'll bring some Sims 4 console content. Like Abby managing a GB house or something with weekly (or daily for a week) check-ins.

Yes! A The Sims series would be amazing!

I haven't really enjoyed the implementation of the video bombcast tbh, there was a certain joy to getting it at a weird hour and sharing in the zeitgeist of consuming it with the new threads etc., which to me personally has been ruined a wee bit as that initial listening party has been fragmented and the GB chat sucks.

I dig the Friday morning slot for Beastcast too.

Aaron

There are tons of games they don't Quick Look. Some of them have to be more interesting than a slightly different version of a game they've already covered. I'm playing a game right now called Mainlining that has Windows XP nostalgia. They could get something interesting from that, especially if they don't feel obligated to go for an hour on every game.

Antiwhippy

Also speaking of their youtube channel I kinda expect Ben videos to get negative bombed like patrick and austin had experienced, considering the general negative vibe he gets, but that's generally not the case actually.

Which either means that the giantbomb youtube audience has matured or there's a certain something about patrick and austin that irks those youtube shitposters...

Also speaking of their youtube channel I kinda expect Ben videos to get negative bombed like patrick and austin had experienced, considering the general negative vibe he get, but that's generally not the case actually.

Which either means that the giantbomb youtube audience has generally matured or there's a certain something about patrick and austin that irks those youtube shitposters...

Really? Maybe I just get in early along with all the haters, but any QL I watch on YouTube has around half dislikes these days.

Antiwhippy

Alright, I guess plenty of people do watch the video bombcasts. :p

Can't say I find the appeal then again I rely on the bombcast and beastcast to help keep me engaged during work, so it's purely audio only for me.

Really? Maybe I just get in early along with all the haters, but any QL I watch on YouTube has around half dislikes these days.

Nah, I thought that would be the case but it's mostly likes.

There are your usual upvoted shittalking in the comments section but that's always seems to be the vocal minority and also lol youtube comments.

you tell me

(seriously though, I have no clue what Whippy's talking about; Ben even made a point to mention he stopped reading the YouTube comments in their AMA)

I'm talking about the likes/dislikes bar.

daveo42

Banned
Sure, but let's not act like Jason's setup isn't similarly impersonal even if they're in the same room:

xIduU5e.png

I'm not saying it's not, it's that there are more constraints at East to implement a video podcast because they aren't technically in the same space. A wide shot like that doesn't exist in the East studio. It's not about how close Abby is to the rest of the crew, it's appropriate framing and space to make it work.

Besides, I agree that Beast doesn't need a video podcast. I only half watch the live Bombcast, listen to it when it comes out as opposed to watch the video, and a new Beastcast on Friday mornings just work.

kiguel182

Now I kinda want a Sims series. I think East could do something amazing with it.

Also, this thread's song and dance is tiring sometimes. Criticism is fine, just don't be a dick.

People who attack everyone who say they don't like something are honestly making it worse.

I love The Sims and would be in favor of them trying out a feature with it, especially with Abby championing it. I think it would need one extra gimmick/layer to it (though I have no idea what), but I'd love to see them try.

Now I kinda want a Sims series. I think East could do something amazing with it.

Also, this thread's song and dance is tiring sometimes. Criticism is fine, just don't be a dick.

People who attack everyone who say they don't like something are honestly making it worse.

I don't know, I kind of love the irony whenever someone makes a drive-by "this thread is garbage right now" post when we're talking about that shit

Harpuia

Also speaking of their youtube channel I kinda expect Ben videos to get negative bombed like patrick and austin had experienced, considering the general negative vibe he gets, but that's generally not the case actually.

Which either means that the giantbomb youtube audience has matured or there's a certain something about patrick and austin that irks those youtube shitposters...

Austin and Patrick have a tendency to wear their politics on their sleeve. So by default the internet hated them for this.

I think generally, the internet isn't aware of who Ben is or what he's done. Which isn't the case for Austin/Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom