• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddified

No, Peter decided to spoil the best moment of the year (so far) in a game released that week. Still salty.

He only deserves part of the blame though, cause he was hesitant and asked if he should spoil it, and everyone else was like "yeah do it".

- J - D -

I do wonder how popular the Beastcast is compared to the Bombcast. I wouldn't be surprised if it got half as many listeners.

The bombcast is essentially the longest running "feature" of Giant Bomb so it has a practically built-in user-base, which the beastcast can't really claim. Also, consider that UPF has surprisingly high viewership, so people will apparently continue to tune into things even if they seemingly dislike it.

Joeku

Minerva's Den vs some mass effect 2 DLC.

Those are both really good, though. Maybe the Fallout 4 non-defense defense in 2015?

The bombcast is essentially the longest running "feature" of Giant Bomb so it has practically built-in user-base, which the beastcast can't really claim. Also, consider that UPF has surprisingly high viewership, so people will apparently continue to tune into things even if they apparently dislike it.

UPF is the The Walking Dead of internet video game shows?

BearPawB

Banned
I just wish UPF was them playing what they want to play rather than whatever bad bullshit shows up on steam new releases

Like it somehow became a feature showing the worst of steam. Which is actually somehow a good feature idea. Just not for upf

But I still generally enjoy upf just for having Jeff sit around and chat for a few hours

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That was more austin walker's crime really.

Also people can't comprehend that just because they dislike it other people might like it?

The bombcast is essentially the longest running "feature" of Giant Bomb so it has practically built-in user-base, which the beastcast can't really claim. Also, consider that UPF has surprisingly high viewership, so people will apparently continue to tune into things even if they seemingly dislike it.

That's my thought as well. I bet there are a lot of Bombcast listeners who don't even know that the Beastcast exists. Like, the type of people who exclusively listen to the podcast and don't visit the site.

- J - D -

That's my thought as well. I bet there are a lot of Bombcast listeners who don't even know that the Beastcast exists. Like, the type of people who exclusively listen to the podcast and don't visit the site.

That's not an uncommon thing I see here on gaf (and other places). A lot of people listen to the Bombcast exclusively.

It's like when Star Trek DS9 first began airing while TNG was still an ongoing show. I still know a ton of people who never bothered with DS9 because they didn't want the spinoff show and preferred only the mainline series.

Joeku

That was more austin walker's crime really.

Also people can't comprehend that just because they dislike it other people might like it?

No, I get that. I get entirely why people like things that have had small but loud backlashes like Bethesda games and late era Kojima and whatnot, and even louder outcries against things that have noticeably lilted while still often being amazing, like roguelites and the Telltale formula. It's why I called it a non-defense defense. They had a long argument during most disappointing that should have been saved for the top 10 and everyone was talking across each other with different points.

Ultimately the game didn't win most disappointing nor make top 10 so most of the arguments became moot, but the discussion around the limitations of game engines, that studio's philosophy, when enough is enough, and how much jank is acceptable for verisimilitude to not be entirely shattered was so cross-ways that it seemed like something that needed a much bigger talk but never got it. It was broaching on very heavy beliefs about the medium but got packed into a little "how disappointing is Fallout 4" box when it should have been more.

Edit: Also, this isn't a shot at you, Anti, but for some reason when it comes to video games, counters to criticism often just say something to the effect of "nah it's great"/"fuck the haters"/"can't they just like it?" and that is entirely unhelpful and really just drags down the conversation. This happens frequently with long-lauded series, like, look at this topic: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413459 . A third of the posts are something to the effect of "it needs no defense".

Like...okay? You like it? Assuming anyone that likes something less than you is already wrong rather than that they just feel differently is exactly the problem with this. I'd love all games to be amazing all the time too, but they're not, and pushing them to be better through criticism (preferably constructive because brief "lol fuck that game ruined my childhood" posts aren't exactly fucking helpful either) shouldn't be taken as a shot. Take it in stride and be a little self-reflective about the things you enjoy.

Additionally, the sentiment that the re-vote of GotY that MGS4 got cemented it as factual is incredibly annoying. The do-over shouldn't have happened because all it was going to do was embolden one side to be knobs about it. It's like some Tom Brady manic fandom-tier bullshit, and I'd love for all of us to be better than that.

That's not an uncommon thing I see here on gaf (and other places). A lot of people listen to the Bombcast exclusively.

It's like when Star Trek DS9 first began airing while TNG was still an ongoing show. I still know a ton of people who never bothered with DS9 because they didn't want the spinoff show and preferred only the mainline series.

Not even the Beastcast part, but they've said before that there's people that literally only listen to the Bombcast, and don't even bother with the site itself.

What a life that must be. I don't know how I'd even picture the guys at this point if I hadn't seen them for however many years...especially Dan, haha.

Jeff frantically laughing at 5-6 people wanting to put Rocket League above Super Mario Maker and basically everything Jeff said in defence of Super Mario Maker.

The darkest Jeff.

During GOTY Knife Fights Brad demonstrates a sheer perseverance that means he can just out-argue anyone. It's impressive.

Jeff just acts like anyone who doesn't like his game as much as him is insane.

It's a dark time.

- J - D -

Not even the Beastcast part, but they've said before that there's people that literally only listen to the Bombcast, and don't even bother with the site itself.

What a life that must be. I don't know how I'd even picture the guys at this point if I hadn't seen them for however many years...especially Dan, haha.

I remember they read an email on one of the bombcasts a couple years ago from someone who never visited the site and tried to guess what each GB duder looked like going off of voice alone. iirc I think they thought Brad was a big burly guy who was into manly man things. lol.

kingocfs

I don't understand how, in 2017, you can listen to a podcast and not due at least a LITTLE due diligence in finding out more about the website.

Strax

I think Jeff has at points said most people who listen to the podcast never go the site at all.

XzjbeVN.gif

Tubobutts

I remember they read an email on one of the bombcasts a couple years ago from someone who never visited the site and tried to guess what each GB duder looked like going off of voice alone. iirc I think they thought Brad was a big burly guy who was into manly man things. lol.
I don't know if it was the same person but someone thought Jeff was a hipster guy with a bunch of tattoos.

Curufinwe

I don't know if it was the same person but someone thought Jeff was a hipster guy with a bunch of tattoos.

Jeff is definitely not Arthur Gies. Aside from the lack of tattoos, Jeff doesn't allege his fellow reviewers are part of a conspiracy when they happen like a game he doesn't like, such as Dark Souls.

I spent a good two years doing that. I got curious about what they looked like and then I saw they had a ton of videos. The first thing I ever watched was Ryan's TANG Resident Evil episode. It was a bit of a revelation for me that people who weren't just random YouTubers we're doing longer video game related videos. There was a stark difference in the quality of their stuff compared to basically everything else that was available at the time.

During GOTY Knife Fights Brad demonstrates a sheer perseverance that means he can just out-argue anyone. It's impressive.

Jeff just acts like anyone who doesn't like his game as much as him is insane.

It's a dark time.

Yeah tbh Jeff is probably my least favorite during GOTY podcasts. He just gets dismissive and at time kind of mean-spirited.

Also I still think the "let's read the wiki" is the greatest GOTY crime, what a bad joke that was

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Where is my youtube Bombcast? I need my clickable timestamps.

IIt was a bit of a revelation for me that people who weren't just random YouTubers we're doing longer video game related videos. There was a stark difference in the quality of their stuff compared to basically everything else that was available at the time.

I wish we could say the same today.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yeah tbh Jeff is probably my least favorite during GOTY podcasts. He just gets dismissive and at time kind of mean-spirited.

Also I still think the "let's read the wiki" is the greatest GOTY crime, what a bad joke that was
But also the right call. It's a bad ending.

Mr. F

Banned

Oh, yeah hands down. It takes the vibe of what essentially should be a dumb fun year end thing and makes it petty and awkward at times. Y'know, good holiday listening

Mr. F

Banned
Huh, what were you expecting? It seemed pretty obvious what it was going to be.

My own fault from being on a bit of a blackout, but I had kind of hoped they had pushed the formula further after talking about rebuilding portions of the game. By all accounts it sounds 'fine' if a bit narratively underwhelming according to some - but the surveillance/hologram playback presentation didn't hook me much when watching the GB unfinished/trailers.

Super Mario Maker and Hitman were the right calls for their respective years and they were made by Jeff so he's ok. Still weird that Jeff turned on Doom in the end.

Wikipedia is a great GOTY moment. It would have been easily countered if they'd finished the game, which they hadn't, which was already a tremendous argument against its inclusion.

And don't get me wrong, I love Life is Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom