• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My own fault from being on a bit of a blackout, but I had kind of hoped they had pushed the formula further after talking about rebuilding portions of the game. By all accounts it sounds 'fine' if a bit narratively underwhelming according to some - but the surveillance/hologram playback presentation didn't hook me much when watching the GB unfinished/trailers.

I think my problem with games like these, and I realised this while playing Edith finch, is that I don't feel as engaged when it feels like I'm just a 3rd party looking through past "archives" in a way.

I think I'm just kinda past that as a story-telling device.

Worst GOTY crime was Alex being stabbed in the back by Patrick over Super Mario 3D World.

Worst attempted GOTY crime was Alex trying to stab Dan in the back over Mario Kart 8.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Super Mario Maker and Hitman were the right calls for their respective years and they were made by Jeff so he's ok. Still weird that Jeff turned on Doom in the end.
Mario Maker and Hitman are both examples of how Dan, quiet during the discussions as he is, is clearly a psychological mastermind who has gotten his way two years in a row. The real question is: which game is Dan going to make win this year?

GOTY is a farce. Always was, always will be.

Back in the olden times, there would be spice and salt and all sorts of curse words thrown around at each other.

While I like how everyone debates normally now, I do miss when they'd actually yell at each other about GOTY stuff. It just added more to their personalities in my opinion.

Scizzy

How are we wr discussing Jeff's obsession with getting Mario Maker to the top spot and ignoring his best move: explaining that this was a tough decision and the best move was taking an informal poll and asking everyone to pick between Mario Maker, MGSV, and Rocket League, sure that MM would win. This poll, he said, would be the framework to figure out the best game of the year. Then, when Rocket League won, he changed the subject, waited four minutes, then said let's go back and discuss the games in order, and pretended as though MM had won the poll all along. It was devious and brilliant and he got away with it completely.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
How are we wr discussing Jeff's obsession with getting Mario Maker to the top spot and ignoring his best move: explaining that this was a tough decision and the best move was taking an informal poll and asking everyone to pick between Mario Maker, MGSV, and Rocket League, sure that MM would win. This poll, he said, would be the framework to figure out the best game of the year. Then, when Rocket League won, he changed the subject, waited four minutes, then said let's go back and discuss the games in order, and pretended as though MM had won the poll all along. It was devious and brilliant and he got away with it completely.

Sometimes a leader has to make the correct decision even if his team doesn't realize it at the time.

hamchan

Jeff knows how to play the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Jeff Wikipedia incident when he ruined LiS using Wikipedia? Or is there another one?

there have been some crazy moments we can all hop aboard the crazy-train and have some fun times with, but this was an act of war

Megasoum

Banned
Bah... I just finished my complete re-watch of all the Mario Party Party...

I think I need to find another long running series to watch/rewatch

I still can't believe a level editor won best game over a game that multiple member's of Giant Bomb said "This is the best game I've ever played in my life" multiple times.... Ugh, this one gets me too. I actually hated the Metal Gear series, because I think the series is way over hyped, but man... MSGV is a really fun game (Has tons of flaws too, but the game play is really enjoyable) and a BILLION times better than Mario Maker.

Wikipedia is a great GOTY moment. It would have been easily countered if they'd finished the game, which they hadn't, which was already a tremendous argument against its inclusion.

And don't get me wrong, I love Life is Strange.

Yeah. It's a great moment like the Fallout 4 "games are hard to make" defense is a great moment.

But that whole 2015 case was Jeff on a warpath to get Mario Maker at number one. And the mistake on everyone else was choosing MGSV over Rocket League.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The funniest thing about the mario maker debate to me is that Dan keeps talking about how this is a game he will play for the rest of his life.

And then he barely plays it after that year.

I still can't believe a level editor won best game over a game that multiple member's of Giant Bomb said "This is the best game I've ever played in my life" multiple times.... Ugh, this one gets me too. I actually hated the Metal Gear series, because I think the series is way over hyped, but man... MSGV is a really fun game (Has tons of flaws too, but the game play is really enjoyable) and a BILLION times better than Mario Maker.

guess which game falls the fuck apart by the time you finish it and which game gets better and better as you play it

T_T

Super Mario Maker is the best game of this decade so far.

No way José.

hamchan

That's my thought as well. I bet there are a lot of Bombcast listeners who don't even know that the Beastcast exists. Like, the type of people who exclusively listen to the podcast and don't visit the site.

Wonder why they don't just add "listen to the Beastcast on Friday" at the end of every Bombcast.

Or maybe they already do and I just haven't gotten to the end of a Bombcast in a long time!

Yeah tbh Jeff is probably my least favorite during GOTY podcasts. He just gets dismissive and at time kind of mean-spirited.

Also I still think the "let's read the wiki" is the greatest GOTY crime, what a bad joke that was

Yeah Jeff usually annoys me in GotY. Especially because his taste is wack.

Mr. F

Banned
Wonder why they don't just add "listen to the Beastcast on Friday" at the end of every Bombcast.

Or maybe they already do and I just haven't gotten to the end of a Bombcast in a long time!

The podcasts exist in a vacuum aside from occasionally saying "I think those guys out west/east are taking a look at xyz" pretty much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom