• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. F

Banned
I think my problem with games like these, and I realised this while playing Edith finch, is that I don't feel as engaged when it feels like I'm just a 3rd party looking through past "archives" in a way.

I think I'm just kinda past that as a story-telling device.

Exactly. The whole archaeology as storytelling device needs a meaningful advancement or to be retired altogether. I'm caring less and less about being dropped in after some ambiguous catastrophe and picking up the pieces. Novel in bioshock 10 years ago, less so now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The thing that gets me about Vinny back then is that for a guy who really loves stories in games he seems to like a lot of bad stories.

tenor.gif

Antiwhippy

Remember how Vinny got so injured for such a long period of time that it was actually faster for him to walk backwards?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Patrick has never since said anything with as much optimism in his voice as when he said "Did that say Cyber Raptor?"

danm999

Brad basically refusing to budge for the better part of an hour to get Destiny on the list in 2014 is the worst thing from GOTY, especially since it wasn't him really making an argument or anything like he did with Minerva's Den v Shadowbroker or Saints Row v Skyrim it was just him refusing to let it go and complaining he wasn't allowed to have his favourite game on the list.

And then in the end he didn't even give it #1 on his personal list, despite Destiny knocking off someone ELSE'S actual #1.

Brad basically refusing to budge for the better part of an hour to get Destiny on the list in 2014 is the worst thing from GOTY, especially since it wasn't him really making an argument or anything like he did with Minerva's Den v Shadowbroker or Saints Row v Skyrim it was just him refusing to let it go and complaining he wasn't allowed to have his favourite game on the list.

And then in the end he didn't even give it #1 on his personal list, despite Destiny knocking off someone ELSE'S actual #1.

Thats what makes brad the GOAT.

danm999

Thats what makes brad the GOAT.

Nah Brad is usually a smart guy who makes long cohesive arguments in the GOTY process but that whole thing just made me uncomfortable.

Still I feel like I'm shitting on Brad too much here, it is after all a make believe list based on subjective preference. He enjoyed Destiny and wasn't dishonest about its flaws.

How are we wr discussing Jeff's obsession with getting Mario Maker to the top spot and ignoring his best move: explaining that this was a tough decision and the best move was taking an informal poll and asking everyone to pick between Mario Maker, MGSV, and Rocket League, sure that MM would win. This poll, he said, would be the framework to figure out the best game of the year. Then, when Rocket League won, he changed the subject, waited four minutes, then said let's go back and discuss the games in order, and pretended as though MM had won the poll all along. It was devious and brilliant and he got away with it completely.

Now that was something else!

Joeku

I actually like Alex contributions (even if he goes "i'll talk about this and then we can drop it") especially last year and him deciding to be in GOTY deliberations in-person continues to pay off imo

Alex was the hero of last year's GotY. He asserted himself all over the place, unlike some past years where he let things go too easily.

Harpuia

Man Backflips n Bioforge is up there for me with the P4 endurance run. That game was bonkers.

My favorite parts from it have to be Vinny walking into a tunnel, only to get non descript yelling and Mr Bioforge spinning out of the tunnel.

Also Vinny jumping down somewhere, Patrick looking at the faq, saying "alien cube???".

You could also feel from the person who wrote the faq their exasperation as well.

Joeku

I was going to rewatch it myself recently and frustratingly the DP endurance runs are super low quality both on Youtube and the site's player: 360p and what looks like maybe 480p respectively. I cannot for the life of me remember if it was always this way or something happened.

J_Viper

You just wait till this year's deliberations

Destiny 2 gonna knock Nier off the list

I was going to rewatch it myself recently and frustratingly the DP endurance runs are super low quality both on Youtube and the site's player: 360p and what looks like maybe 480p respectively. I cannot for the life of me remember if it was always this way or something happened.
They were always in SD.

Antiwhippy

They didn't switch to 720p until after awhile.

Might have been part of the subscriber incentives back when they were rolling it out now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom