• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
There's more salt in the air here than in the entire Taco Bell menu.

Microsoft's hypocrisy is exceptional at times. Trying to paint themselves as the good guys while being brand managers just like every other brand manager out there.

Best thing about MS though are the people on GAF who post stuff like "I believe in/trust Phil Spencer". Believing in what? In that he wants to sell you his product?

- J - D -

Why? Did the make a pact to stop playing if they won?

No, but I'd argue the prominent allure of the series is the elusive chicken dinner. No video series of a game with a (relatively) narrow, singular goal can sustain itself for the long term, imo. So not getting the chicken dinner keeps them (and the audience) hungry.

ArjanN

Microsoft's hypocrisy is exceptional at times. Trying to paint themselves as the good guys while being brand managers just like every other brand manager out there.

Best thing about MS though are the people on GAF who post stuff like "I believe in/trust Phil Spencer". Believing in what? In that he wants to sell you his product?

So no different than any of the other platform holders then.

Eh, sure when you get down to it, he's trying to sell a product, but there's a lot to be said for an executive that understands and is actively engaged with the people he's trying to sell to.

Comparing the strategies and products being pushed in the Mattrick era to what is being sold and produced now with Spencer at the helm is night and day.

When people say they believe/trust in Spencer, they're saying they believe/trust in the products he's representing because they respect him and the decisions he makes as an executive for the Xbox brand.

oti

Banned
Eh, sure when you get down to it, he's trying to sell a product, but there's a lot to be said for an executive that understands and is actively engaged with the people he's trying to sell to.

Comparing the strategies and products being pushed in the Mattrick era to what is being sold and produced now with Spencer at the helm is night and day.

When people say they believe/trust in Spencer, they're saying they believe/trust in the products he's representing because they respect him and the decisions he makes as an executive for the Xbox brand.
I guess? To me all of them are companies and brands. They want my money. They aren't my friends and I'd never go as far and say I "trust" a CEO or brand manager. I feel ok saying I trust Nintendo EAD delivering a good Mario game, since that's what they've done time and time again. Kinda like saying I'd trust a film director to make a good film. But I'd never say or think I trust the movie execs from Warnr Bros for instance. That's just a level of engagement I will never have with managers or any brand unless I worked for them.

It's just funny coming from boyes.
The guy that delivered the biggest burn this industry has ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

I don't think the person who made that tweet understands context. In the interview, he was saying you can play the XBONE early (from the tour locations) without needing to win one from Taco Bell.

Tweeter apparently took that to mean "fuck Taco Bell I'd never partner with those rotten roach factories and PlayStation sux too!"

nA_Ds_VTQC_OoeeVZE9LCQ.png

I also like how they decided "No power greater than X" or something to be their dumb marketing slogan. They go all-in on that. And it's so dumb in a good way.

So, I was relistening to the 2015 Day 5 GOTY Podcast, and I was wondering if anyone had actually made the hypothetical GOTY debate card game they mentioned. If it hasn't, how would it work?
If nobody made it, then I'm keen to give it a shot, as I've gotten interested in card game design.

Aselith

Where has Jeff been recently?

Vacation

nA_Ds_VTQC_OoeeVZE9LCQ.png

I also like how they decided "No power greater than X" or something to be their dumb marketing slogan. They go all-in on that. And it's so dumb in a good way.

Yeah there's a long history of companies sniping their competitors and people love the ice burns so I hope it never changes

No one burns a bridge with Taco Bell though. It's the real Gamer Grub

Meneses

Backpedalling and embracing what was previously criticized are basically staples of this industry, it's to be expected at this point.

That and fans trying to justify it / spin it. It's kinda funny in some regards, especially with Nintendo these last couple years.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Backpedalling and embracing what was previously criticized are basically staples of this industry, it's to be expected at this point.

That and fans trying to justify it / spin it. It's kinda funny in some regards, especially with Nintendo these last couple years.

"It's so great that nintendo isn't pushing for microtransactions!"

"Oh wait, that thing is locked from that Amiibo? Awww it's kinda cute I guess that's fine."

Antiwhippy

"Ugh who would want to play full size console games on the go? Experiences like the 3DS makes much more sense."

"Oh wow it's so great that I can play BotW on the go!"

oti

Banned
"Ugh who would want to play full size console games on the go? Experiences like the 3DS makes much more sense."

I just wish the Vita had better games. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Uncharted. These are the "console-like" games I tried and they all sucked.

Persona 4 being the exception. That game is Gold on Vita.

WHY WASN'T TOYKO JUNGLE ON VITA GOD DAMNIT

Edit: Killzone was pretty good on it though. And Gravity Rush, but I didn't like how that game controlled at all.

Jintor

i just the game has to be designed right for it.

the fact that the switch offers the tabletop mode as well as the handheld mode (and the obvious tv mode) is so advantageous. splatoon 2 handheld i find a bit irritating and can only really playing singleplayer, but splat2 tabletop... kiss on the cheek to that.

Aselith

I just wish the Vita had better games. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Uncharted. These are the "console-like" games I tried and they all sucked.

Persona 4 being the exception. That game is Gold on Vita.

WHY WASN'T TOYKO JUNGLE ON VITA GOD DAMNIT

Edit: Killzone was pretty good on it though. And Gravity Rush, but I didn't like how that game controlled at all.

Better question...where are the Acid games? Free money, Konami, come get it

Antiwhippy

I am mostly joking about that stuff, because I'm not really that delusional about the vita yet, but to me the console experience for the vita were all the JRPGs, Dungeon crawlers and rhythm games, not necessarily the assassin's creed nor the uncharted.

drabnon

I feel like I'm showing my millennial status here but the Vita was my first experience with PS1 classics like Final Fantasy 7, Wild Arms, Symphony of the Night, Klonoa, etc. So I have a fondness for the thing for allowing me to play these renowned games on the go, even if it ended up being a failure/disappointment.

Hasney

"Busta Busta Busta Bust-a-Groove. i don't ever wanna run away...."

Then I know the tune of the rest of that hook, but not the words anymore

hamchan

As someone who played it on his PSP through the native emulator, that's probably for the best. The game's insanely fickle with its timing, even compared to stuff like Parappa.

You made me bring out the old PSP GO to check but timing wise it seems fine to me.

Parappa is much more of a nightmare.

EDIT: Also Parappa PS4 still being a nightmare with timing sure sucks.

Ravelle

do the slimes start chasing you and do they get bigger

jason likes it but

I need to know

I don't know what kind of game I want.

Slimes get bigger if you feed them, they change into different slimes depending on what you give them, veggies, fruits, chickens, other simies.

You put them in their cages and all slimey's are passive, except for tar slimes which fuck up your entire shit if you're not fast enough dealing with them.

Peru

That never made sense. The 3DS might have started out with a lil Nintendogs and hopes of replicating DS success before the pivot on price and content, but it founds its success in traditional console experiences like Fire Emblem, MonHun and Zelda. That's been one of my pet peeves in discussions before Switch, when people tried to position the 3DS experience as some fundamentally different thing to consoles.

I dug the Vita too because it offered the possibility of those experiences. Its problem in the end was not about people not wanting to play console-like experiences, but that it mainly got lesser spin-off games, and not enough of them anyway.

oti

Banned
That never made sense. The 3DS might have started out with a lil Nintendogs and hopes of replicating DS success before the pivot on price and content, but it founds its success in traditional console experiences like Fire Emblem, MonHun and Zelda. That's been one of my pet peeves in discussions before Switch, when people tried to position the 3DS experience as some fundamentally different thing to consoles.

I dug the Vita too because it offered the possibility of those experiences. Its problem in the end was not about people not wanting to play console-like experiences, but that it mainly got lesser spin-off games, and not enough of them anyway.

Vita would be one of my favourite platforms ever if it had Top Spin 4 on it.

Jintor

he'll bring on special guests austin walker and patrick klepek to back him but in a surprise move all 3 of them will barrack for PUBG instead

kiguel182

People don't mind console experiences on the go, they mind pale imitations of console experiences.

My first 3D gta was Vice City Stories on the PSP and I totally loved it. I didn't know how limited it was compared to San Andreas so it didn't make a difference. The problem with the Vita and PSP was lackluster AAA games (more so with the Vita, PSP had some good stuff) since they tried to target that audience.

Who is buying a console for a bad Uncharted game? Even if they love Uncharted is a big ask.

Nintendo put one of the best Zelda games on the system so obviously people will buy it. Doesn't matter if it's portable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom