• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
��

P5 had a very unique style compared to previous Persona games.

does it tho? my girlfriend was playing P3 while I played p5 in the bedroom and apart from the technical limitations, their style was comparable. just because it had an ok jazz soundtrack, doesn't equate new style

2950955-hungry-hungry-hippos-2.jpg

Giant Bombcast 489: Cash 4 Wrestling
The dog days of summer are upon us, and with them quick impressions of the new Fire Pro, more gushing over Battlegrounds, some light Splatoon 2 chat, the whereabouts of Bobby Kotick, reflections on old tweets, and a totally authoritative discussion about board games.

LotusHD

Banned
If, hypothetically speaking, Nier Automata was one of the best games I ever played should I play the Drakengard games?

No. Well maybe D1 was okay, I never bothered with that, but I didn't like D3 much outside of the final boss and eccentric protagonist.

If, hypothetically speaking, Nier Automata was one of the best games I ever played should I play the Drakengard games?
Drakengard 1 is the only worthwhile Drakengard and even that experience was more of a time and place thing. I wouldn't recommend it, both Nier games are leaps and bounds better than anything Drakengard.

Jeff Jarrett is the Ranking of Fighters of wrestling.

Been around longer then you expect. Still makes appearances to this day. Was never good but somehow, some way still manages to return time and time again.

Jeff Jarrett is the Ranking of Fighters of wrestling.

Been around longer then you expect. Still makes appearances to this day. Was never good but somehow, some way still manages to return time and time again.

Jeff Jarrett is alive. Ranking of Fighters is dead.

QED, Jeff Jarrett == Ranking of Fighters of wrestling.

Jeff is ABSOLUTELY right about Arkham Horror. I really wanted to love that game, but the sheer abundance of rules makes it an absolute no-go at most social gatherings. It's just impossible to get everyone to commit to something that impenetrable. There's got to be a better way to make systems-based board games that doesn't involve needlessly convoluted bullshit that is almost impossible to keep track of.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Jeff is ABSOLUTELY right about Arkham Horror. I really wanted to love that game, but the sheer abundance of rules makes it an absolute no-go at most social gatherings. It's just impossible to get everyone to commit to something that impenetrable. There's got to be a better way to make systems-based board games that doesn't involve needlessly convoluted bullshit that is almost impossible to keep track of.

I feel like that's just most modern board games though.

Joeku

Oh gosh, I missed another GotY talk.

Best Style: Persona 5, Cuphead, Mario Odyssey
Best Story: Nier, Yakuza, Wolfenstein 2

I want to agree with you about Nazi Hatcheter 2, but the game isn't out yet. It needs to be fucking bananas. I want a first-person body transplant scene. I want The Beatles being secret agents who come to play a show for the KKK and secretly deliver messages and do covert ops for the Resistance. I want it to go batshit fucking wild.

ST2K

Listening to the Bombcast talk about board games is like, I imagine, listening to a non-video game podcast talk about video games.

"Why isn't everything like Mario?"
"Man, I don't know. Video games are too complicated."
"I played this one game where you had to level up and pick skills and go places on a map and fight stuff with this weird fighting system... it was just so complex."
"You can't just gather around and get drunk playing Pacman like you could in the old days."

he should get into warhammer 40k

there has never been a better time to w40k

the rules are so simple now

Listening to the Bombcast talk about board games is like, I imagine, listening to a non-video game podcast talk about video games.

"Why isn't everything like Mario?"
"Man, I don't know. Video games are too complicated."
"I played this one game where you had to level up and pick skills and go places on a map and fight stuff with this weird fighting system... it was just so complex."
"You can't just gather around and get drunk playing Pacman like you could in the old days."

See, the thing is, none of them sounded unwilling to learn how to play the games. They're just a) borderline impossible to explain in a timely manner b) not FUN to learn, like, it's usually a DM-like person kind of telling you what you should do instead of interacting/experimenting with systems since there are so many rules to keep on mind.

ST2K

See, the thing is, none of them sounded unwilling to learn how to play the games. They're just a) borderline impossible to explain in a timely manner b) not FUN to learn, like l, it's usually a DM-like person kind of telling you what you should do instead of interacting/experimenting with systems since there are so many rules to keep on mind.

Yes. Things with depth and complexity require some degree of investment and you are not great at it if you haven't read the rules or know how things work. Same with video games.

And yes, if said complex game is deployed in a drunken party environment with random people, then it's not gonna be a blast to play.

But... maybe all board games shouldn't be exclusively for that scenario? Wii Sports and Smash Bros. work better for the aforementioned environments than Civilization or DOTA, but criticizing the latter games for requiring more investment wouldn't be fair, would it?

Yes. Things with depth and complexity require some degree of investment and you are not great at it if you haven't read the rules or know how things work. Same with video games.

And yes, if said complex game is deployed in a drunken party environment with random people, then it's not gonna be a blast to play.

But... maybe all board games shouldn't be exclusively for that scenario? Wii Sports and Smash Bros. work better for the aforementioned environments than Civilization or DOTA, but criticizing the latter games for requiring more investment wouldn't be fair, would it?

Absolutely, not all board games should be exclusively for that scenario! But there's a difference between depth and obtuse bullshit, and Arkham Horror veers into the latter with some of its ruleset imo. I was thinking it was supposed to be a sort of in-between of a typical board game and an actual campaign. I want something more than the typical drunken fodder, but I also care about accessibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom