• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

LTTP is the better game but if you asked me which 2D Zelda I'd rather play I'd probably pick Minish Cap.
Yeah that's fair, I have a lot of games like that. To use Platinum as an example, Bayonetta 1/2 are both better games than W101 but I'd probably rather play through W101 again than Bayonetta

bigkrev

Yeah, Vinny is a bit weird during GOTY. He seems to think that the crew, and the audience, are unable to process that just because you're arguing for a game you love, doesn't mean you're shitting on the other games. I like that Vinny is constantly saying "just to be clear, these are all great games", but I think everyone gets that. We're here for the fight :p

Unless he's talking about Splatoon, then he just seems incredulous that people actually like the game.

k8xtovz.png

https://youtu.be/Vbf7RumiXPM?t=1708

Passpartout with the sick burns

Huh, George R.R. Martin cameo.

Tagyhag

It wouldn't keep me up at night, but I just personally don't think that a buggy game with one map in early access should get it. I totally get that it might be responsible for some of the most memorable moments of the year for them (and others), but something about it just rubs me the wrong way. Hitman did a similar thing, but was so stuffed with features and clever mechanics that you can't help but admire the craft. PUBG is a one-trick pony that executes on that one trick incredibly well.

Again, I won't begrudge anyone who considers "which game provided the most unadulterated fun/memorable moments" to be the sole criteria for GOTY, but I personally think that's not enough.

I dunno, I have trouble articulating my feelings because I don't want to sound like I'm talking shit on PUBG (I'm not, I think it's dope).

I think the feeling is compacted because this year has been fucking jam packed with some of the absolute best releases in a looooong time.

That's like saying Tetris isn't one of the best games ever made because it's a one-trick pony.

Giant Bomb always takes other things into consideration, but considering how long they have been doing this, is it really that much of a surprise that "How much fun this game is" is taken into serious consideration?

I mean, at its core, is that not what gaming is about?

killroy87

That's like saying Tetris isn't one of the best games ever made because it's a one-trick pony.

Giant Bomb always takes other things into consideration, but considering how long they have been doing this, is it really that much of a surprise that "How much fun this game is" is taken into serious consideration?

I mean, at its core, is that not what gaming is about?

Haha, I explained my reasoning, you can feel free to disagree. Tetris is thrown around as one of the few perfect games. PUBG is far from a perfect game. So that's not a totally accurate analogy.

And for what it's worth, if Tetris was released this year, I wouldn't think it should get GOTY either :p.

Tagyhag

Haha, I explained my reasoning, you can feel free to disagree. Tetris is thrown around as one of the few perfect games. PUBG is far from a perfect game. So that's not a totally accurate analogy.

And for what it's worth, if Tetris was released this year, I wouldn't think it should get GOTY either :p.

PUBG has some flaws, but so does every game out this year. :p

I was wondering why this thread moved a bunch of pages and then it turned out it was more GOTY talk. December can't come soon enough!
Ben’s check ins on the smash fgc are absolutely insufferable.

I actually appreciate it as a guy who follows the scene but from afar. I don't keep myself constantly updated but I like hearing about it whenever anyone talks about it. Be it Ben or Jason.
"I may or may not play the full game when it does come out but I am gonna watch this gameplay with you guys and react to it"

The future of video game journalism, everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvSz9AcQH1A
(Crackdown 3 gameplay)

I never liked Crackdown
#supportGB

That quote made me sad. Day 1 Crackdown 3, baby.

PUBG has some flaws, but so does every game out this year. :p

Honestly the more I played PUBG the more I think it is mechanically and aesthetically a bad game. It just so happens that its framework is a great one for creating interesting moments that lead to great stories. But a better developer could take the idea of PUBG and make an infinitely better game out of it.

PUBG is a pretty good analog to Hitman in the sense that the stories that came out of it are what are going to inevitably make it GOTY. The difference is that Hitman was also a technically proficient game at the same time.

oti

Banned
Honestly the more I played PUBG the more I think it is mechanically and aesthetically a bad game. It just so happens that its framework is a great one for creating interesting moments that lead to great stories. But a better developer could take the idea of PUBG and make an infinitely better game out of it.

PUBG is a pretty good analog to Hitman in the sense that the stories that came out of it are what are going to inevitably make it GOTY. The difference is that Hitman was also a technically proficient game at the same time.

Maybe Mary nailed it during the Playdate. The game itself is actually bad, but players "make it good" themselves. I mean eh, that's how those mods habe always worked. Here's some space, there are guns, now kill each other. For whatever reason people decided PUBG would be THE game for that setting instead of the mods before. Why? No idea.

Or it's just the tension of it all. My absolute favourite mechanic in Watch Dogs 1, an utterly forgettable game, was hiding in the car. Seeing cops drive by without noticing me was amazing. We as humans just really love hide and seek.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
you guys are doing a lot of mental gymnastics to prepare yourselves for PUBG winning GOTY

is zelda good or is it the experiences you make in it?

you guys are doing a lot of mental gymnastics to prepare yourselves for PUBG winning GOTY

is zelda good or is it the experiences you make in it?

Well, DOOM did win GOTY afterall didn't it? Especially because most of the crew have played it! People talk about the tension, I wish those same people gave Rainbow Six: Siege a chance. That game has tension for days and it doesn't eat up alot of your time.

Tagyhag

It all depends on what the developers do.

I'm sure an AAA Battle Royale game will be technically proficient, but you know what else it'll have? Arcade shooting (Hitscan weapons/No bullet drop), killstreaks, auto-aim etc.

That's not what I look for in PUBG.

Also, people tend to forget that it is still an early access game.

Will it play like MGS5 when it releases? No, but compare the game now to its release state and it's already doing much better.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dude. In PUBG you collect stuff and hide for 20 minutes only to die a few moments later. That's exhilarating, I get it. But is that good? You can like it. But is it good?

Zelda is good.

In Zelda you collect stuff only for it to break 5 minutes later. And most PUBG players dont hide for 20 minutes, even GB has pulled away from that because that's not how you do well in PUBG. Like somehow cooking a bunch of materials you had to pick up off the floor in Zelda to walk in the cold place is unanimously good but hiding in a tub isn't?

I don't see how you think Zelda is objectively 'good' but PUBG isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom