• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

frostyxc

I'd probably put Alien on my top 10 favorite movies of all time. I still have no interest in Alien: whatever the subtitle of this game is, for some reason.

That's interesting because I was planning to put it on your "Top 10 Favorite Movies of ALL-TIME!!!" list, too. Pete Rose doesn't get it on his list, though...

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
How did Brad deal with his hdmi issue on his PS4 (I remember him talking about it a few bombcasts ago)? I have the same problem - If I don't turn the TV on at the right time, the handshake (or whatever it is) between the PS4 and the TV doesn't happen and therefore no signal. Annoying. I need some more stability updates!

My problem (not really that similar to yours) was actually just due to the $2 Monoprice HDMI port-saver (a little female to male adapter with a hinge in it) I was using. Pulled that out of the chain and the signal cleaned itself right up.

Myggen

Watching this QL, maybe I need to try out this Alien game after all. A bit sceptical about the game being as long as it is, but fuck it.

edit Also agree with Dan about disliking when games take control over you at moments like what happens about 17 minutes in the QL. Much cooler if it leaves it up to the player to either watch a scene like that or walk away.

There's a real arc to my feelings on that game over the course of the video. If you're cautiously interested in it, you should watch the whole thing to see what I mean.

Will do!

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Watching this QL, maybe I need to try out this Alien game after all. A bit sceptical about the game being as long as it is, but fuck it.

There's a real arc to my feelings on that game over the course of the video. If you're cautiously interested in it, you should watch the whole thing to see what I mean.

Trying to think of a game and figured easiest to just post it in here.

What was the 2D, sprite-based PC game Brad and someone else played that was really grindy by nature? It was out in grass and forest-y areas, I believe, and it was pretty much just collecting drops to turn in quests. I think they were trying to collect things for a witch? Was possibly early access and I think the characters had different abilities with something on a cooldown.

Anyhow, I can recall the Quick Look and randomly thought I'd look into it after glancing at Hero Siege on Steam and thinking it looked somewhat similar to what my memory remembered of this mystery game.

Thanks for the help.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sure seems to be an undercurrent of people REALLY wanting this game to be great. Almost as if by pure will they can make it one of the best racing game ever made.

there is a reason why Yoshi's Island is looked upon so fondly...

BzYMt1jCYAMzNPD.jpg:large

‏@drewscanlon
Greetings from Tokyo
11:34 PM - 7 Oct 2014

daydream

Banned
Trying to think of a game and figured easiest to just post it in here.

What was the 2D, sprite-based PC game Brad and someone else played that was really grindy by nature? It was out in grass and forest-y areas, I believe, and it was pretty much just collecting drops to turn in quests. I think they were trying to collect things for a witch? Was possibly early access and I think the characters had different abilities with something on a cooldown.

Anyhow, I can recall the Quick Look and randomly thought I'd look into it after glancing at Hero Siege on Steam and thinking it looked somewhat similar to what my memory remembered of this mystery game.

Thanks for the help.

Secrets of Grindea perhaps?

Secrets of Grindea perhaps?

That's the one. Thanks. Don't know why I thought it was Brad since it's Patrick and Alex on the Unfinished.

And no wonder I couldn't find it when I tried searching for "Grind" on Steam since it's not on there and I also tried Googling something like "Giant Bomb Quick Look Grind" seeing as how it's an Unfinished.

Anyhow, thanks.

Reading the Driveclub OT is sort of bizarre, like a bunch of people deflecting all criticism with "it's more realistic that way" or "it's meant to appeal to the casual gamer" as if Driveclub was the perfect pinnacle of both, and it's for a game I'm assuming none of them have played at-length.

I guess it just comes with the territory with console exclusives, and the Ryse defense force was probably worse, but it's just a part of the internet I've avoided for a long time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Reading the Driveclub OT is sort of bizarre, like a bunch of people deflecting all criticism with "it's more realistic that way" or "it's meant to appeal to the casual gamer" as if Driveclub was the perfect pinnacle of both, and it's for a game I'm assuming none of them have played at-length.

I guess it just comes with the territory with console exclusives, and the Ryse defense force was probably worse, but it's just a part of the internet I've avoided for a long time.

After playing a few races, Driveclub is a very...strange fit. It's the most narrow slice of audience I've seen a racing game target. Not really an arcade racer, with penalties for course and car collisions, so you can't really say it appeals to major Motorstorm fans or any casual racer. Not really a sim, as there's no tuning or options to turn off safety components on the car, so it's not going for the upper level Gran Turismo/Forza crowd.

This is an arcade-like racer, tuned to be more in line with sims, that really isn't for die hard sims or die hard casual racers, but for someone who fiddles occasionally with GT/Forza and wants sim elements in their arcade racers.

It doesn't surprise me that Jeff, who hates clinical racers like GT and has fallen out of love with Forza, would hate this game. Or if someone who loves Motorstorm would hate this game. Or a large portion of the gaming audience hated this game.

It's actually kind of perfect for me, but yeah, I can easily see why someone would not like the game. They should have gone all out Ridge Racer-style gameplay. But what it is, yeah, it's good. I have no idea why they thought targeting this narrow of an audience was a good idea though.

Myggen

Honest question, do any of you like that a game like the Alien game just has manual saves at certain spots? I guess that you could argue that it adds tension, but shouldn't that come from the game and not the save system? I just can't stand the feeling of losing 30 minutes of progress just because of some mistake or some random shit. Either have more frequent auto saving, or let me quick save. Manual saves only in a game like that is almost enough for me not to want to play it because I know it's gonna piss me off.

After playing a few races, Driveclub is a very...strange fit. It's the most narrow slice of audience I've seen a racing game target. Not really an arcade racer, with penalties for course and car collisions, so you can't really say it appeals to major Motorstorm fans or any casual racer. Not really a sim, as there's no tuning or options to turn off safety components on the car, so it's not going for the upper level Gran Turismo/Forza crowd.

This is an arcade-like racer, tuned to be more in line with sims, that really isn't for die hard sims or die hard casual racers, but for someone who fiddles occasionally with GT/Forza and wants sim elements in their arcade racers.

It doesn't surprise me that Jeff, who hates clinical racers like GT and has fallen out of love with Forza, would hate this game. Or if someone who loves Motorstorm would hate this game. Or a large portion of the gaming audience hated this game.

It's actually kind of perfect for me, but yeah, I can easily see why someone would not like the game. They should have gone all out Ridge Racer-style gameplay. But what it is, yeah, it's good. I have no idea why they thought targeting this narrow of an audience was a good idea though.

Seems they were aiming for that PGR audience (which wouldn't be surprising since a few members are on the team) but the thing is that the PGR audience kinda went away by the fourth game of that series.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I get the feeling that they felt this would appeal to everyone at some point, and eventually realized (hopefully long before reviews started hitting, but after it was too late to do anything about it) that the decisions they made actually alienated huge chunks of the potential audience. It doesn't look like a badly made game at all, it looks like a very well made incredibly mediocre game if you aren't part of that narrow chunk they left who wants this specific weird halfway sim racer.

I didn't even realize that they have collision penalties though, that's just fucking dumb. Make the game enough of a sim that collisions are punished by the way it affects your car, not just by throwing time on the clock.Or don't penalize it at all and (like Jeff mentioned in the Quick Look) just design the tracks to penalize poor driving.

convo

Would Brad be willing to get through PT if it were for the kids?
He wouldn't have to do it alone if it is absolutely impossible for that baby to grow up at that point.Jeff not giving a fuck while Brad is going ape shit would make for a fun time. And people could make helpful advice a donation goal.

Myggen

Would Brad be willing to get through PT if it were for the kids?
He wouldn't have to do it alone if it is absolutely impossible for that baby to grow up at that point.Jeff not giving a fuck while Brad is going ape shit would make for a fun time. And people could make helpful advice a donation goal.

Are you talking about Extra Life? He has talked about doing a solo stream from home before the SF office stream again this year. Him playing PT during that stream would be glorious.

Dan didn't know what anti aliasing is? oh my lol. What a crazy dude

He had a general understanding, and I think he has never really owned a good gaming PC until the one he is about to build now. So not that surprising, I think.

It's just strange that people will defend the game for missing fairly straightforward features like brake/traction assistance or rewind as if they were good design decisions instead of needless oversights. It seems like racing games in the past generation have just coalesced into total arcade (Need for Speed, Burnout, etc), semi-sim (Forza, GT), and total sim (iRacing etc), and that slice of the genre between semi-sim and arcade has pretty much gone away. If you want your game to appeal broadly outside of the established sub-genres, wouldn't giving more options and customization be better?

In any case, I don't think Sony had particularly high expectations of the game and it'll most likely get overshadowed very quickly by other releases, but I can't imagine how much more sparse it would've been as a launch game.

convo

Are you talking about Extra Life? He has talked about doing a solo stream from home before the SF office stream again this year. Him playing PT during that stream would be glorious.
Yeah. I don't think he would have as hard of a time with it as compared to dark souls, because you don't have a lot of mechanics in PT he'd have to deal with. I'd still have my worries if he had no one to console or ridicule him while he is playing.

Myggen

Yeah. I don't think he would have as hard of a time with it as compared to dark souls, because you don't have a lot of mechanics in PT he'd have to deal with. I'd still have my worries if he had no one to console or ridicule him while he is playing.

That game is best played alone anyway, I think. But a good game suggestion if Brad is up for it. I only watched Patrick play it and that alone scared me to death, can't imagine actually playing it in a dark room.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

it's one of things. like the chupacabra or the US government.

That game is best played alone anyway, I think. But a good game suggestion if Brad is up for it. I only watched Patrick play it and that alone scared me to death, can't imagine actually playing it in a dark room.

it's not pleasant... in the best way possible.

RE_Player

So Jeff's DriveClub review is going to go live soon after he checks one more thing. I'm expecting a 2/5 considering the tone of the quick look.

I have money riding on this review!

Top Bottom