• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Curufinwe

It's just strange that people will defend the game for missing fairly straightforward features like brake/traction assistance or rewind as if they were good design decisions instead of needless oversights. It seems like racing games in the past generation have just coalesced into total arcade (Need for Speed, Burnout, etc), semi-sim (Forza, GT), and total sim (iRacing etc), and that slice of the genre between semi-sim and arcade has pretty much gone away. If you want your game to appeal broadly outside of the established sub-genres, wouldn't giving more options and customization be better?

In any case, I don't think Sony had particularly high expectations of the game and it'll most likely get overshadowed very quickly by other releases, but I can't imagine how much more sparse it would've been as a launch game.

Rewind is a crutch that does not need to be in every racing game. It was not left out due to an oversight.

Helmholtz

I know this has been stated countless times, but I'm really liking the increased video output from Giant Bomb over the past month or two. I had all but completely lost interest in the website during that long period of sparse output, but now I find myself checking for quick looks everyday. Also really liking Ryckert on these quick looks, and the Vinny / Alex combo isn't half bad either.

RE_Player

I know this has been stated countless times, but I'm really liking the increased video output from Giant Bomb over the past month or two. I had all but completely lost interest in the website during that long period of sparse output, but now I find myself checking for quick looks everyday. Also really liking Ryckert on these quick looks, and the Vinny / Alex combo isn't half bad either.
I've become a big fan of Dan. His positive and out going attitude has spawned so many videos and features of the site, the Mario Party one being my favourite. I've watched more videos these past couple months than all of last year.

Myggen

I'm not even sure if Danny wants to do an AltF1 this week, considering the accident. Will probably feel pretty pointless discussing anything else F1 right now.

valeo

I've become a big fan of Dan. His positive and out going attitude has spawned so many videos and features of the site, the Mario Party one being my favourite. I've watched more videos these past couple months than all of last year.

Yep, he's been great. He is much like Vinny in that he offsets the general cynicism of Jeff/Brad/Alex etc.

Myggen

Dan is great on the Alien QL.

"Yup, that's the alien." "That's totally the alien." "That is super the alien."

Yeah, that QL gets really great when the alien first appears on the tracker. The dynamic of Dan being amused by Brad being so jumpy around horror games works really well. RUN BRAD!

daydream

Banned
Seems like the Idle Thumbs guys will do a Twin Peaks rewatch podcast. Could be the first Idle Thumbs thing I'll have consumed in years.

Rewind is a crutch that does not need to be in every racing game. It was not left out due to an oversight.

Considering you can disable it in every game I've encountered it in, I don't really see it as a crutch. In any case, if a serious sim didn't include it I wouldn't really mind, but it seems like it'd be a necessary option for a semi-casual racer like DriveClub that isn't out to punish players for carelessness.

Rainmaker

Banned
Jeff Gerstmann is my favorite Giant Bomb member and I actually am enjoying Driveclub for what it is but he's mostly right about it. The DC OT can be an ugly place, it seems.

yjL5GpU.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm in this weird place with Alien Isolation where if I want to play it, I won't want to have seen any of it beforehand. But I have no idea whether I actually want to play it or not. So I've just ended up avoiding all media that would help inform my decision.

Seventy70

Just got done watching the Alien quick look. I wish there was a Breaking Brad: Alien Isolation with Dan laughing as Brad shits his pants.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Apparently racing games must be a sim or arcadey. That and complaining about no rewind is just bizarre.

Oh well, still looking to try out the ps+ version.

Just got done watching the Alien quick look. I wish there was a Breaking Brad: Alien Isolation with Dan laughing as Brad shits his pants.

Watching this video just cemented what I already kind of gathered in that in any severe fight or flight situation, Brad's the type of person that would bend down and tie his shoe or something.

Top Bottom