• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

so1337

I absolutely love that Brad is so scared while playing horror game that he just absolutely panicks while playing them. I'm pretty much the same way, I do the dumbest shit because I'm so nervous.

Anyways, great podcast this week. The GOTY discussion over Destiny will be a bloodbath.
Wouldn't be the first time that a bad game wins thanks to Brad's relentlessness.

I mean Skyrim won GOTY in the year that the original Dark Souls came out. That's like giving the award to Gex 3D rather than Super Mario 64.

edit: My early guess would be Mordor. Everyone seems to love that game.

derFeef

Wouldn't be the first time that a bad game wins thanks to Brad's relentlessness.

I mean Skyrim won GOTY in the year that the original Dark Souls came out. That's like giving the award to Gex 3D rather than Super Mario 64.

I don't think aynone reall played Dark Souls that year, maybe Vinny did but I can't remember.

doomquake

Dan...I am no longer surprised that you are the casual gamer`s opinion on the show, but you don`t know what a hatchback is? please.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like, people keep going to brad for the reason that skyrim won.

But to me it was always ryan who went for skyrim even though he said he didn't play much of it and loving SR3.

Then it became a 3 vs 2 fight so SR3 was always going to lose.

derFeef

Like, people keep going to brad for the reason that skyrim won.

But to me it was always ryan who went for skyrim even though he said he didn't play much of it and loving SR3.

Then it became a 3 vs 2 fight so SR3 was always going to lose.

Ryans SR3 backstab, that was rough!

Myggen

It's going to be ME3 all over again, Brad is pretty much alone in his Destiny love.

He didn't fight that much for ME3 though. Got it on the list and was pretty happy about that. It wasn't like the others fought him very hard over it. Skyrim and Minerva's Den are the two legendary Brad filibusters, and Skyrim was Ryan's fault ;)

Dan...I am no longer surprised that you are the casual gamer`s opinion on the show, but you don`t know what a hatchback is? please.

For a guy with absolutely no interest in cars who has said that he drives as little as possible and currently do not even own a car, I'd say that not knowing what a "hatchback" is might be the most "normal" of Dan's "what is...?" moments. The guy hates driving so much that he didn't drive on the highway until he was 25.

He didn't fight that much for ME3 though. Got it on the list and was pretty happy about that. It wasn't like the others fought him very hard over it. Skyrim and Minerva's Den are the two legendary Brad filibusters, and Skyrim was Ryan's fault ;)
I don't know that he'll fight that hard for Destiny. I could see him pushing for a top 10 spot and leaving it there.

Antiwhippy

BTW, if every editor is going to be in on GOTY this year, wouldn't it be like 7 people sitting in? It's going to be chaos.

Though I guess it depends if drew counts as an editor now. His GOTY would be his trip to vietnam.

Myggen

I don't know that he'll fight that hard for Destiny. I could see him pushing for a top 10 spot and leaving it there.

Yeah, totally. Like he did with ME3. He even conceded pretty fast on Dota 2 once he got it on the list (tried to justify it going higher than it did, but didn't fight for it much after Jeff put his foot down), and that has become one of his all time favourite games. The Brad filibuster is overrated, he hasn't really done that more than those two times.

BTW, if every editor is going to be in on GOTY this year, wouldn't it be like 7 people sitting in? It's going to be chaos.

Though I guess it depends if drew counts as an editor now. His GOTY would be his trip to vietnam.

Drew's still a producer, and I highly doubt he's gonna sit in considering that he doesn't play many conventional games. Vinny said on Twitter that he hasn't really had a console or a PC for 6 months because of the clusterfuck that is his living situation right now, so I think it's doubtful that he will have played enough games for it to make sense for him to be in the GOTY discussion. It'll probably be Jeff, Brad, Dan, Patrick, Alex (on Skype), if I had to guess.

Oh good, Patrick is going to play more Spelunky
icon_neutral.gif

jgminto

I could totally see a Brad-style filibuster for Destiny if nothing huge comes out by the end of the year if he wanted to. I don't think there has been much this year that the other guys will remember massively enjoying (I had to look up what came out this year because it was so forgettable). Shadow of Mordor (if enough play it) or Sunset Overdrive (if it's good) are the only things I can potentially see being able to break through a Bradleybuster.

Yeah, totally. Like he did with ME3. He even conceded pretty fast on Dota 2 once he got it on the list (tried to justify it going higher than it did, but didn't fight for it much after Jeff put his foot down), and that has become one of his all time favourite games. The Brad filibuster is overrated, he hasn't really done that more than those two times.

It would be impossible to get headway with Dota 2 with the rest of them. It would have been a waste of time at that point.

I absolutely love that Brad is so scared while playing horror game that he just absolutely panicks while playing them. I'm pretty much the same way, I do the dumbest shit because I'm so nervous.

Anyways, great podcast this week. The GOTY discussion over Destiny will be a bloodbath.

WTF. 7 hours before this message you posted that you were going to bed knowing there will be a long podcast waiting. Now you've already got up and listened to the podcast? Are you a wizard?

No I'm not stalking you, I swear!
Wait, people think Dark Souls was worthy of being a GOTY?

Dark Souls and Spelunky also ruined about 2 months of Giantbomb with the constant streams of it.
image.php

Phoenix Wright is showing you the door.

Wait, people think Dark Souls was worthy of being a GOTY?

Dark Souls and Spelunky also ruined about 2 months of Giantbomb with the constant streams of it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I could totally see a Brad-style filibuster for Destiny if nothing huge comes out by the end of the year if he wanted to. I don't think there has been much this year that the other guys will remember massively enjoying (I had to look up what came out this year because it was so forgettable). Shadow of Mordor (if enough play it) or Sunset Overdrive (if it's good) are the only things I can potentially see being able to break through a Bradleybuster.

It would be impossible to get headway with Dota 2 with the rest of them. It would have been a waste of time at that point.

I think I'm actually hoping for a brad filibuster this year for something like destiny. I'm not really invested in any games that have come out thus far, so a bit of controversy will only make it more entertaining :D

Dizzy-4U

Hopefully they'll do the final goty deliberation on a separate day so that they are not that worned out and give in that easily. Meh, I say this crap every year :/

My forecast:

Destiny won't get to top 5. Brad will try to get it to 6-10 and be happy about it. Jeff will counter it with Diablo if he gets too greedy.

Brad will push Mordor for Goty and it will probably win.

Myggen

WTF. 7 hours before this message you posted that you were going to bed knowing there will be a long podcast waiting. Now you've already got up and listened to the podcast? Are you a wizard?

No I'm not stalking you, I swear!

Haha, I slept like 3 hours because some asshole in my apartment building decided to play extremely loud music at like 4am, so I just listened to the podcast instead. I'm a mess at work right now though, and I'm gonna be here for about 11 more hours.

At this point, I don't think any of them except for Brad enjoyed Destiny much more than they enjoyed Dota :p

Toparaman

Banned
Dan, I love you, but you are a giant hypocrite when it comes to drug usage. 90% of your stories revolve around you binge drinking to the point of idiocy. What's it to you if people responsibly use weed and acid, which are relatively harmless compared to alcohol?

jgminto

The only game I would care about winning would be D4 and only Patrick and Alex have finished it. With how bad the year has been I could still see them getting it in the Top 10 though.

Myggen

Dan, I love you, but you are a giant hypocrite when it comes to drug usage. 90% of your stories revolve around you binge drinking to the point of idiocy. What's it to you if people responsibly use weed and acid, which are relatively harmless compared to alcohol?

ucOTNMGvQtGuW2QgfgKp_drugsarebad.jpg

jgminto

tumblr_m0a5hkTdkR1rqoq0po1_500.jpg

Dan just believes in the law. And Wallmart.

Haha, I slept like 3 hours because some asshole in my apartment building decided to play extremely loud music at like 4am, so I just listened to the podcast instead. I'm a mess at work right now though, and I'm gonna be here for about 11 more hours.

Oh that sucks. Have strength!

I thought he said he'd be up for legalizing weed, even said that it's less harmful than alcohol?

But still, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c5xTOg0gV4

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
IHateIHateMattRorie

#notallmattrories

Man, reviews are great just for the comments.
I always love the guys claiming "I've been a user on this site since day one but after this review I won't come here anymore" and then you look at his profile and he as one post.
Awesome.

Brad seems conscious that Destiny isn't actually a good game, he just can't stop playing it. I think he'll make a push for "hey that means something" but I don't think he'll stand his ground for this game.

Antiwhippy

To be fair to him he said that weed should be legalised and is less harmful than alcohol.

Myggen

#notallmattrories

Man, reviews are great just for the comments.
I always love the guys claiming "I've been a user on this site since day one but after this review I won't come here anymore" and then you look at his profile and he as one post.
Awesome.

I just really like that there's still people who care enough about reviews to write stuff like that. Such a major part of people who are vocal about reviews on forums claim they don't care about reviews because the games media is corrupt, don't know how to play games, "it's one person's opinion, I'm gonna try it out for myself!" etc., but holy crap the backlash can be pretty intense when reviewers actually give bad scores. Especially exclusive games that people are hyped about.

If reviewers are actually gonna start using the whole scale and not just the IGN scale of 7-10, people need to get used to a game they're hyped about getting a terrible score.

Drew will be too busy working on their GOTY videos: a real-life enactment of a game of Velvet Sundown (note: this isn't actually what they're doing, but it would be awesome)

I just really like that there's still people who care enough about reviews to write stuff like that. Such a major part of people who are vocal about reviews on forums claim they don't care about reviews because the games media is corrupt, don't know how to play games, "it's one person's opinion, I'm gonna try it out for myself!" etc., but holy crap the backlash can be pretty intense when reviewers actually give bad scores. Especially exclusive games that people are hyped about.

If reviewers are actually gonna start using the whole scale and not just the IGN scale of 7-10, people need to get used to a game they're hyped about getting a terrible score.

People complaining about reviews for their favorite games is the closest thing to anime tsundere behavior I've seen in real life.

It's not like they care about what Jeff-sempai thinks about their game, or anything.

In any case, if you've already decided whether or not you're going to like a game, whether it's before or after you've played it, a game review serves no purpose for you. If people disagree about whether or not Jeff had the correct mindset or context for viewing DriveClub, they have to realize that ultimately a bunch of consumers will come to the game with that same mindset, and his review is going to be useful for determining whether or not it matches with their expectations.

I disagreed with Brad's score on DmC, but the reactions and outrage around it were mind-boggling.

demidar

Brad seems conscious that Destiny isn't actually a good game, he just can't stop playing it. I think he'll make a push for "hey that means something" but I don't think he'll stand his ground for this game.

I don't think "addictive" is a good quality. Smoking is addictive.

People complaining about reviews for their favorite games is the closest thing to anime tsundere behavior I've seen in real life.

It's not like they care about what Jeff-sempai thinks about their game, or anything.

In any case, if you've already decided whether or not you're going to like a game, whether it's before or after you've played it, a game review serves no purpose for you. If people disagree about whether or not Jeff had the correct mindset or context for viewing DriveClub, they have to realize that ultimately a bunch of consumers will come to the game with that same mindset, and his review is going to be useful for determining whether or not it matches with their expectations.

I disagreed with Brad's score on DmC, but the reactions and outrage around it were mind-boggling.

Some people are taking Jeff's line about the "old, dark days of console driving games" really personally, like he spit on all their treasured memories of past racing games.

Zaph

My favourite part of all that, is the 'genre' TV/film which often has a lot of crossover with similar demographics, often get poor to middling metacritic scores. Yet nobody really cares.

It's similar to people who call GB jaded/cynical just because they're not super hyped about games or have realistic expectations. Yet if you listen to a film critic podcast, they sound very similar to GB. They rarely get giddy over films because they're professionals.

Everyone wants games to grow up, but nobody wants games to grow up.

My favourite part of all that, is the 'genre' TV/film which often has a lot of crossover with similar demographics, often get poor to middling metacritic scores. Yet nobody really cares.

It's similar to people who call GB jaded/cynical just because they're not super hyped about games or have realistic expectations. Yet if you listen to a film critic podcast, they sound very similar to GB. They rarely get giddy over films because they're professionals.

Everyone wants games to grow up, but nobody wants games to grow up.

Everyone wants reviewers to stop inflating their scores and to be more critical of games, until it's happening to a game they like or intend to buy.

Drew sat in last year, so not having him in now wouldn't really make sense. After Jason joined he has had more and not less of an editorial role.
The real questing is if Patrick, Vinny and Alex skype in or fly to California for the last GOTY cast. I'm hoping for the chaos of everybody being there and trying to reach an agreement. Being there means a lot, the years Alex have skyped in he had a real hard time arguing for his games against the other guys.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Has Drew played much of anything else that came out this year? I honestly can't remember him talking about a 2014 game he enjoyed except for destiny.

Top Bottom