• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

My favourite part of all that, is the 'genre' TV/film which often has a lot of crossover with similar demographics, often get poor to middling metacritic scores. Yet nobody really cares.

for once, this is a lesson your average person could learn from jrpg fans. I have a steady diet of games that get between 6 and 8 on a 10 point scale and I'm perfectly content with that. As someone who is also a huge fan of sci-fi and horror movies, it's also comparable.

If you know the things you like, if you're capable of understanding why you like the things that you like, then it shouldn't cause you some kind of existential crisis when you realize you're really into something that is flawed.

I really hope they have the old game of the year category again. I want to hear Dan and Drew fight for MGS1 while Jeff curses at them. It will be glorious. I'm not sure what other game would be in that category. Demon's Souls maybe, was that Breaking Bad this year? I would enjoy hearing Brad fight for that for the same reasons

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GOTY is going to be interesting this year with multiple offices.

Zaph

for once, this is a lesson your average person could learn from jrpg fans. I have a steady diet of games that get between 6 and 8 on a 10 point scale and I'm perfectly content with that. As someone who is also a huge fan of sci-fi and horror movies, it's also comparable.

If you know the things you like, if you're capable of understanding why you like the things that you like, then it shouldn't cause you some kind of existential crisis when you realize you're really into something that is flawed.
Yup, I've pretty much the same, but sub out JRPG with adventure games. If one gets 6 out of 10 on a 'normal' game site, it's probably gonna be one of the best that year.

Then again, I've been playing games for twenty years, I know what I like. I now just mostly use Metacritic to make sure the game I like the look of isn't broken.

danm999

GOTY is going to be interesting this year with multiple offices.

Indeed. I'm very curious as to whether Patrick/Alex/Vinny will fly in or Skype in. It really feels like unless you're there in the flesh your ability to push your point of view can be minimalised.

Yeah I forgot about these... interested to see what makes up the rest of his top 10. Maybe he's played a bunch of other stuff he doesn't talk about.

I remember him liking Transistor, too. I want to say he also played Wolfenstein but I'm not so sure about that. And he still has time to play Ground Zeroes!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

You're right, it's especially true of more "niche" games that have characteristics that a person will either love and embrace or hate and be frustrated by. My favourite game of 09 was cryostasis by a long stretch, and is one of my favourite games of all time, and I remember reading a short review in a pc gamer uk issue which dismissed it almost entirely as "Snail-paced frozen nonsense" (quote from metacritic) and gave it a 40/100. I can't fault the reviewer for coming away from their experience with that opinion, I just wouldn't look to that person for recommendations for me because obviously our tastes don't align.

Yeah, basically. At some point in college I stopped giving a shit about reviews and getting angry that someone didn't like, or scored poorly, a game that I liked. I at least know myself well enough to know certain genres or styles of game I typically like, and check GAF and Quick Looks or equivalent for games I'm not sure on.

I dunno, I'm just so done with the constant outrage and drama and bullshit over non-issues like review scores. It's tiring to watch and embarrassing to witness.

I now just mostly use Metacritic to make sure the game I like the look of isn't broken.

hah, me too. if it's something I'm interested in, if it doesn't look like the actual mechanics are too broken or annoying, then the rest of the reviews are largely irrelevant in regards to whether or not I'll buy it.

Kelas

Sleeping dogs definitive edition is out soon. That's gotta be a vinny/alex quicklook right? Tempted to install my pc copy again.

reviews are dumb

im still fascinated with them and peoples response to them though

i remember waiting for dota reviews after launch because i was expecting it to be valves most poorly received game

Myggen

Yeah, basically. At some point in college I stopped giving a shit about reviews and getting angry that someone didn't like, or scored poorly, a game that I liked. I at least know myself well enough to know certain genres or styles of game I typically like, and check GAF and Quick Looks or equivalent for games I'm not sure on.

I dunno, I'm just so done with the constant outrage and drama and bullshit over non-issues like review scores. It's tiring to watch and embarrassing to witness.

I think only tech fans are worse than gamers when it comes to reactions to reviews (a bad review of a Marvel movie will probably also be a bit of a shit storm). The reaction to reviews of phones especially, Android vs. iOS, rivals any reaction to game reviews except for maybe the most insane ones like Gamespot's GTA V review or Polygon's Dragon's Crown review.

The crossover of people who react that way is probably pretty significant between tech and games.

Patryn

This year is weird because it's like the first year in a while that I really don't know what their GOTY will be. And it's not because of too many candidates.

Shadow of Mordor? Dan's already said that it's currently his personal GOTY.

Also, jumping back into a conversation from a couple pages ago, if you want to see a contentious OT wait until the Dragon Age OT gets thrown up. I can easily see 50 percent of the first two pages being nothing more than drive-bys including some form of "Shit Mountain" in their post.

Kelas

I wonder how high Dark Souls II will end up in their GOTY list.

I bet it doesn't make the top 5 of anyone's list, except maybe rorie if he does one, though I don't remember hearing his thoughts on it.

BearPawB

Banned
I care about reviews. I dont have money to spend on games that aren't good. There are plenty of "bad" games I enjoy, but that doesn't mean I want to drop 60 bucks on them

Patryn

If Brad plays and likes it before the end of the year (don't think he ever started on PC) it will probably end up in the lower half. Otherwise I'm not sure it'll end on the list at all.

Dark Souls 2 will be that game where they make their list then do a last pass of all the games that came out this year and they'll be like "Dark Souls 2 came out this year? Ohhhh..... right."

And that will the entirety of its discussion.

Myggen

Also, jumping back into a conversation from a couple pages ago, if you want to see a contentious OT wait until the Dragon Age OT gets thrown up. I can easily see 50 percent of the first two pages being nothing more than drive-bys including some form of "Shit Mountain" in their post.

Even though the Dragon Age 2 hate still runs deep, isn't the consensus on that game pretty positive pre-release?

erawsd

Only games I think have a very high chance of landing in the top ten are Mordor, Wolfenstein, and South Park. Everyone enjoyed Mordor and Wolfenstein, and I think Jeff is the only one that didnt like South Park. Diablo could also make it since Reaper of Souls came out this year.

Brad realizes Destiny is full of flaws so I dont think he'll fight for it.

Myggen

Only games I think have a very high chance of landing in the top ten are Mordor, Wolfenstein, and South Park. Everyone enjoyed Mordor and Wolfenstein, and I think Jeff is the only one that didnt like South Park. Diablo could also make it since Reaper of Souls came out this year.

I think both Jeff and Alex will fight for Jazzpunk (Alex recently said it was his GOTY so far this year). I'm not sure if Dan has played it, but if he does I can pretty much guarantee that he will at least enjoy it. So I'm betting it will slot in as a low top 10 game.

More people should play Jazzpunk. It's fantastic.

Kelas

I care about reviews. I dont have money to spend on games that aren't good. There are plenty of "bad" games I enjoy, but that doesn't mean I want to drop 60 bucks on them

Nothing wrong with caring about reviews or seeking advice before deciding to buy; that's completely normal. It's only weird when people care too much about a review that is critical of a game they've already decided they like. They're not seeking criticism to help them make a purchase, they're seeking someone to validate their own views.

I think it's completely fair for people to discuss reviews they disagree with and bring counter points to the table (which in turn gives more information to readers to make a decision upon), but some people go way overboard and take criticism of a thing they like as a personal insult of sorts.

Patryn

Even though the Dragon Age 2 hate still runs deep, isn't the consensus on that game pretty positive pre-release?

Mixed. Look at the recent thread about the new gameplay video.

Admittedly, EA kind of fucked up by inviting a bunch of streamers who are known for playing FPSes to play the game. The resulting videos in which the players (who, admittedly, play terribly) completely avoid using any of the pause and play and tactical options has led to a lot of pessimism.

A lot of people seem to be seeing a lot more Dragon Age 2 than DA:O in DA:I.

erawsd

I think both Jeff and Alex will fight for Jazzpunk (Alex recently said it was his GOTY so far this year). I'm not sure if Dan has played it, but if he does I can pretty much guarantee that he will at least enjoy it. So I'm betting it will slot in as a low top 10 game.

More people should play Jazzpunk. It's fantastic.

I should play Jazzpunk...

Scizzy

Jazzpunk seems like it came out last year and Luftrausers seems like it came out way before that (Luftrausers will be on the list if they remember it came out this year).

Patryn

Was it last year they were talking about how the industry was in a holding pattern for the next year or was that this year?

Because this year has thus far been really underwhelming.

popo

Was it last year they were talking about how the industry was in a holding pattern for the next year or was that this year?

Because this year has thus far been really underwhelming.

because everything got pushed to early next year. If none of that hits then the meltdown will be epic.

GOTY talk? Again? I thought we settled this already

tumblr_n7jn6mG48H1qhccbco1_500.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jazzpunk seems like it came out last year and Luftrausers seems like it came out way before that (Luftrausers will be on the list if they remember it came out this year).

I forgot all about those, I don't expect the guys to remember them either.

It's Brad, the guy who spendt hours fighting for ME3 even though he accepted the original release was filled with flaws. He'll fight tooth and nail for it. I can see D4 ending on the list if more of them actually play it. Both Alex and Patrick really like it and it seems like a game which brand of crazy would be well recieved by most of the crew.

GOTY talk? Again? I thought we settled this already

Isn't Captain Toad delayed??

It's Brad, the guy who spendt hours fighting for ME3 even though he accepted the original release was filled with flaws. He'll fight tooth and nail for it. I can see D4 ending on the list if more of them actually play it. Both Alex and Patrick really like it and it seems like a game which brand of crazy would be well recieved by most of the crew.

Someone needs to get Dan to play D4, I wonder how he'd take to it.
It seems anime enough for his tastes.

Top Bottom