• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is it true that the player limit of a club in Driveclub is six people? That sounds ridiculous.

Is it true that the player limit of a club in Driveclub is six people? That sounds ridiculous.

At this point, sounds about what I'd expect from Driveclub. Except I wouldn't know because the PS+ version still isn't available and apparently even paid version owners can't play it online.

Neat!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
*sees 2-star review of Driveclub*

Wow Jeff, you're completely wrong. How could you do that. Gah!

*reads review*

...I uh, can't say I disagree with any of that.

I want to build up a defense of Driveclub but I honestly don't know where I'd start. I'm a few hours in and I don't even know if I'm enjoying it yet.

Gorgeous game though.

Megasoum

Banned

*reads review*

I want to build up a defense of Driveclub but I honestly don't know where I'd start. I'm a few hours in and I don't even know if I'm enjoying it yet.

Gorgeous game though.

You listened to the podcast yet? He explains in details his opinion on the game. He raise many great points.

inky

Called it #team2stars

Well, called it in my mind :p The way he spoke about the game I figured he didn't like it much.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You listened to the podcast yet? He explains in details his opinion on the game. He raise many great points.

Still working my way through the last one, but yeah I find myself agreeing with most of what he's said so far. Which is painful since I already bought the season pass, hah. But I don't mind supporting Evolution if it means we'll get another Motorstorm.

Still working my way through the last one, but yeah I find myself agreeing with most of what he's said so far. Which is painful since I already bought the season pass, hah. But I don't mind supporting Evolution if it means we'll get another Motorstorm.

you wont get another motorstorm

*reads review*

Gorgeous game though.

Is there a difficulty setting? I could have sworn that people said there was, but Jeff said there wasnt and I watched a video of someone going through the menus looking for a difficulty setting and not finding anything but changing transmission from manual or automatic.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
you wont get another motorstorm

YOU SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH

Is there a difficulty setting? I could have sworn that people said there was, but Jeff said there wasnt and I watched a video of someone going through the menus looking for a difficulty setting and not finding anything but changing transmission from manual or automatic.

If there is, it's definitely not readily apparent. Didn't see one in the main menus. Then again a lot of stuff is locked out due to the servers not working.

*reads review*

Gorgeous game though.

Yup, I agree with a lot of his points. It's not *terrible*, but I constantly am asking myself why i'm not playing Horizon 2 instead while i'm playing it.

Patryn

Driveclub is like a perfect example of a launch title... Except for the fact it came out 1yr after release.

We're still in the launch window*.

Note: Launch window is now defined as the time from the release of a console until the release of a successor console. Please adjust expectations accordingly.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoy posts by new users on reviews like this. Of course they've all been reading the site for years.

Renpatsu

Okay, P4AU quick look is worth it alone for Jeff and Jason attempting to sing-along with Rise.
Edit:
Yep, that was incredible.
The fact that you can barely hear the music they're singing to makes it even better.
I might edit a version of them singing where you can hear the music.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That's because Alex used to work for Harmonix, not necessarily because it was a kickstarter project.

Yeah, it was because they only posted about Kickstarter projects that their friends were doing that it was really gross. They had a policy to not post stories about them unless they personally knew the person running it. If they were doing other Kickstarter stories at the time it wouldn't have looked bad.

popo

Is there no P4A anime or anything? Between the lengthy wall of text and the fighting that I suck at - I quit the first one well before the end. Would have liked to have seen the story.

Is there no P4A anime or anything? Between the lengthy wall of text and the fighting that I suck at - I quit the first one well before the end. Would have liked to have seen the story.

There's DLC that is just the first game's story mode, but the gist of it is: Miiiiight be Nyarlathotep? Find out next time!!

Myggen

I think Jeff said that they were going to loosen up and cover things that are unqiue and interesting.

Yep. Said they were too sceptical in the beginning and that they would make new guidelines after the Harmonix thing, which Jeff admitted was poorly handled.

*reads review*

Gorgeous game though.

Having only played an hour or so, Jeff lists many of the same issues I had;
only one factory color, going off into the gravel fires up a bizzare 3 second timer countdown, ambigious corner cutting (is it because more than two wheels went off into the grass?), and the AI bumping me and I get penalized. Add the fact that I get booted from a single player time trial race because the leaderboard servers were not functioning.

I haven't been able to get on the DriveClub servers so I played Madden and Destiny instead.

That said, want to be in a DriveClub Club chubigans? Its the only PS4 racing game I have....

The Harmonix kickstarter was weird, because in the context we have now of their cancellations and people they've let go and the kickstarter barely getting over the goal, it does seem like they were probably incredibly desperate for that thing to work and must have panicked when it didn't explode out of the gate.

I can easily see being friends with Harmonix and going "Yeah, we should give them more exposure to help."

Which, in itself, also makes it a little less okay.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Having only played an hour or so, Jeff lists many of the same issues I had;
only one factory color, going off into the gravel fires up a bizzare 3 second timer countdown, ambigious corner cutting (is it because more than two wheels went off into the grass?), and the AI bumping me and I get penalized. Add the fact that I get booted from a single player time trial race because the leaderboard servers were not functioning.

I haven't been able to get on the DriveClub servers so I played Madden and Destiny instead.

That said, want to be in a DriveClub Club chubigans? Its the only PS4 racing game I have....

Sure, why not!

They just needed a better Policy.

Only posting a full story for Harmonix and Double Fine kickstarters but everything else being stuck in the footnotes of Patricks Worth Reading weekly articles is a bit shitty.

Maybe someone could just do a dedicated weekly "look at these kickstarters" round up article that puts everything they saw that looked interesting into.

Only games I think have a very high chance of landing in the top ten are Mordor, Wolfenstein, and South Park. Everyone enjoyed Mordor and Wolfenstein, and I think Jeff is the only one that didnt like South Park. Diablo could also make it since Reaper of Souls came out this year.

Brad realizes Destiny is full of flaws so I dont think he'll fight for it.

Far Cry 4 isn't out yet. If any unrelased game has a chance at Giant Bomb's GOTY 2014 it's probably that game. I'm curious to see what the consensus is on Dragon Age as well.

Myggen

The Harmonix kickstarter was weird, because in the context we have now of their cancellations and people they've let go and the kickstarter barely getting over the goal, it does seem like they were probably incredibly desperate for that thing to work and must have panicked when it didn't explode out of the gate.

I can easily see being friends with Harmonix and going "Yeah, we should give them more exposure to help."

Which, in itself, also makes it a little less okay.

Well, the Kickstarter just barely getting over the goal isnt something they knew at the time since that article was written at the start of the Kickstarter. Also, I doubt it was anything more than Alex being a huge fan of that franchise and not thinking about how it looks. Him being friends with them could have pushed it over the edge, but the original is one of his all time favourite games, so it's not like it was just some random game that no one else covered.

Patryn

They just needed a better Policy.

Only posting a full story for Harmonix and Double Fine kickstarters but everything else being stuck in the footnotes of Patricks Worth Reading weekly articles is a bit shitty.

Maybe someone could just do a dedicated weekly "look at these kickstarters" round up article that puts everything they saw that looked interesting into.

Haven't they developed a new policy about reporting on KS due to all that fallout?

Well, the Kickstarter just barely getting over the goal isnt something they knew at the time since that article was written at the start of the Kickstarter. Also, I doubt it was anything more than Alex being a huge fan of that franchise and not thinking about how it looks. Him being friends with them could have pushed it over the edge, but the original is one of his all time favourite games, so it's not like it was just some random game that no one else covered.

The part where John Drake came on to a livestream to beg people to back it wasn't great, either.

Myggen

The part where John Drake came on to a livestream to beg people to back it wasn't great, either.

Didn't seem like a lot of people had much of a problem with that. He didn't shill a lot for the Kickstarter, and as long as they're transparent about that stuff I don't see how it's a big problem. They've had friends of the site on various content as long as the site has existed that has also served partly as a promotion of what they've recently released and stuff. As long as it makes for good content and it's all out in the open, it's all good.

Dragon

Banned

I know you cannot accept any criticism of any of the GBers without defending them, but John Drake did beg people to support the product on a UPF as I recall.

Didn't seem like a lot of people had much of a problem with that. He didn't shill a lot for the Kickstarter, and as long as they're transparent about that stuff I don't see how it's a big problem. They've had friends of the site on various content as long as the site has existed that has also served partly as a promotion of what they've recently released and stuff. As long as it makes for good content and it's all out in the open, it's all good.

That's false equivalency. For example having Greg on the podcast to discuss his game during/after it was released is totally different from trying to beg support for a kickstarted game.

Top Bottom