• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Myggen

I know you cannot accept any criticism of any of the GBers without defending them, but John Drake did beg people to support the product on a UPF as I recall.

But how is that different than a lot of the QL EXs with friends of the site, to give one example? Or the let's get drunk and play the game Adam Boyes just made video? Or the Trenched TNT. It's just how GB has worked since day 1. In general, people haven't really had a problem with that as long as it has been in the open, so how is Drake guesting on a Castlevania stream any different?

Dragon

Banned
But how is that different than a lot of the QL EXs with friends of the site, to give one example? Or the let's get drunk and play the game Adam Boyes just made video? Or the Trenched TNT. It's just how GB has worked since day 1. In general, people haven't really had a problem with that, so how is Drake guesting on a Castlevania stream any different?

The EXs are titled differently and they aren't just part of a random live stream about Castlevania. Not to mention the examples you gave are not kickstarted games which I think is the main point of contention here.

but if you have a guest on, who really cares if they plug their project, unless they're completely ruining whatever it is they're guesting on?

where people were uncomfortable was when it seemed like GB themselves were promoting their friends' projects (while not covering others). I could kind of see where that could get iffy.

But how is that different than a lot of the QL EXs with friends of the site, to give one example? Or the let's get drunk and play the game Adam Boyes just made video? Or the Trenched TNT. It's just how GB has worked since day 1. In general, people haven't really had a problem with that as long as it has been in the open, so how is Drake guesting on a Castlevania stream any different?

A clearly labeled QL:EX, which is a developer showing off a finished product, is a bit different than what's happened with their kickstarter policy. They got out in front, said we're not going to cover stuff that's not finished, then have slowly relaxed that policy when it's been companies they have relations with. Do I think it's gross or anything when Drake's on? No, I know what he's there to do, and I think he's funny and interesting when he's on, but it does feel like they dropped the ball in regards to staying consistent. Add to that the Dance Central 3 boondoggle, Alex writing the article about Harmonix kickstarter, then having Drake on a random livestream, and I can see why people were starting to get upset.

Just being on the Bomb Crew output is advertising, they ain't gotta say anything pitchy, ergo they shouldn't say anything pitchy.

that's flimsy logic. I wouldn't have known what the fuck Samantha Kalman was working on if she wasn't given time to explain it. And then conversation got back to crummy N64 games and everything was fine.

Myggen

A clearly labeled QL:EX, which is a developer showing off a finished product, is a bit different than what's happened with their kickstarter policy. They got out in front, said we're not going to cover stuff that's not finished, then have slowly relaxed that policy when it's been companies they have relations with. Do I think it's gross or anything when Drake's on? No, I know what he's there to do, and I think he's funny and interesting when he's on, but it does feel like they dropped the ball in regards to staying consistent. Add to that the Dance Central 3 boondoggle, Alex writing the article about Harmonix kickstarter, then having Drake on a random livestream, and I can see why people were starting to get upset.

Fair enough.

Anyways, the game sound in the P4U QL is soooo low. Vinny needs to tell them what settings he is using on that stuff, the GBE videos have a much better audio balance.

I know you cannot accept any criticism of any of the GBers without defending them, but John Drake did beg people to support the product on a UPF as I recall.
Is that really necessary? Can we discuss this or other issues without leading with the equivalent of preemptively declaring a discussion's pointlessness because it won't be honestly engaged for discussion? Edit: maybe I'm misreading your point, but off the back of the other night, I'm so weary of what I'm describing that seeing what looks it again just makes me feel tired. I think we can have a productive conversation here, and that's valuable, and I don't want lose that opportunity so early.

I think there's plenty to talk about with Kickstarter and Giant Bomb without having to do this at the start.

If I had a massively popular game enthusiast site and I had friends who were making games or trying to get them funded, I'd put them on the front page, too. This isn't Gamespot or IGN or anyone else pretending to be high journalism.

Policy is fine, but, that just means a clear policy saying you're ok doing it.

It's an anime JRPG and Jeff of all people.

Its pretty awesome but it still blows my mind.

it's kind of a shame that he seems to have dismissed P3 so easily, even though I admit it's not as good of a game in either mechanics or story (and the story is decidedly more anime than even P4).

But still, there's a lot of that old familiar character interaction/social link stuff that is handled really well.

that's flimsy logic. I wouldn't have known what the fuck Samantha Kalman was working on if she wasn't given time to explain it. And then conversation got back to crummy N64 games and everything was fine.

Didn't they ask her? I'm talking PITCHING, like what Rich Gallup did that one UPF.

Myggen

Is that really necessary? Can we discuss this or other issues without leading with the equivalent of preemptively declaring a discussion's pointlessness because it won't be honestly engaged for discussion?

I think there's plenty to talk about with Kickstarter and Giant Bomb without having to do this at the start.

Me and Dragon has had that discussion a few times before, so it's all good. A bit unnecessary and a bad way to start an argument even though I'm well aware that I can be a fanboy at times, but still.

Didn't they ask her? I'm talking PITCHING, like what Rich Gallup did that one UPF.

They asked Rich too IIRC, people just care less about facebook shit. And the difference there is minimal I think.

LOL i'm still surprised at how much of a Persona 4 fanboy Jeff turned into.

I always put Persona 4 as the reason what Giantbomb would become; guys you learn to love and enjoy playing games. Jeff got to play a game to completion and not have to write a review and enjoy the story which was rare for him before leaving GameSpot.

Once a week, I think. Two or more was the crazy college years.

I just listened to it. He said he has enjoyed getting drunk a couple times a week for ten years. I'm not judging, clearly it ain't affecting the guy's ability to do his job well and live a full life but pretty sure experts would classify that as alcoholism.

5YEEqDy.jpg

in other news, face scanning continues to be fantastic

Fjolle

I just listened to it. He said he has enjoyed getting drunk a couple times a week for ten years. I'm not judging, clearly it ain't affecting the guy's ability to do his job well and live a full life but pretty sure experts would classify that as alcoholism.

If that was true everyone I know would be alcoholics.

Myggen

Oh I must have mixed it up with him saying he generally don't get as drunk as he did during those years then, what with the puking discussion a week or two ago.

Btw

Bzb8KYYCYAAs1KB.jpg:large

If that was true everyone I know would be alcoholics.

The definition is surprisingly broad, so I don't doubt they would. I would be classified as one too probably, since I binge drink about once a week. But there's different degrees of everything.

edit I think the snake is about to eat its own tail here, someone uploaded the GB Forza Horizon 2 QL to their channel as a Gamespot video. Strange.

Myggen

@DanRyckert · 10m 10 minutes ago
My grandpa once said that Garth Brooks “oughta be locked up” because he was “swinging around on ropes” and using fireworks at his concerts.

@DanRyckert · 5m 5 minutes ago
Compared to him, my Bombcast comments about arresting druggies at Burning Man are progressive as hell.

Myggen

Well.. If you count that as alcoholism I guess I am :s

I think that here in Denmark you have to be physically dependant of alcohol.

No, that is still probably about the medical definition in Denmark. It is here in Norway. That's why we get the HALF OF THE POPULATION BELOW 30 ARE ALCOHOLICS headlines in tabloids every year here. The more popular definition of being an alcoholic is that you have to be physically dependant though, and what most people go by.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man

Yeah, I probably come off as more of a heavy drinker than I really am. I typically get drunk about twice a week, and it's always in a social context. I've never had that "I *need* to have a drink" feeling in my life, and there's no history of alcoholism in my family, so I've never been worried about that. I've even gone several months in a row without drinking at all when I really need to lose weight, and it's never been a problem.

Yeah, I probably come off as more of a heavy drinker than I really am. I typically get drunk about twice a week, and it's always in a social context. I've never had that "I *need* to have a drink" feeling in my life, and there's no history of alcoholism in my family, so I've never been worried about that. I've even gone several months in a row without drinking at all when I really need to lose weight, and it's never been a problem.

Yeah, see as someone with an extensive history of alcoholism on both sides of my family statements like that set off alarm bells in my head that I'm sure to people who haven't dealt with that stuff their whole life it seems like nothing to bat an eye at. It sucks when you're programmed to think after you've gotten drunk twice in a weekend for the first time in months to think "oh god I'm a drunk"

Patrick playing Spelunky is like Drew playing MGS. Always down to the wire.

Yeah, but Patrick was better than me within 3 days of playing Spelunky. Drew was still struggling with the fundamentals of MGS1 at the end of the game. To his defense, he needed to play MGS more than once or twice a week. Still, frustrating as all hell most of the time.

I read this right as a Jack Daniels mailing list email arrived.

Myggen

Yeah, see as someone with an extensive history of alcoholism on both sides of my family statements like that set off alarm bells in my head that I'm sure to people who haven't dealt with that stuff their whole life it seems like nothing to bat an eye at. It sucks when you're programmed to think after you've gotten drunk twice in a weekend to think "oh god I'm a drunk"

Different perspectives on that is very common based on your history with that stuff, I think. Among my friends I think a lot of people get drunk at least two times a week. When I went to college, three times was a pretty common number. And no one thinks twice about that. Not very healthy, but we all know that.

Top Bottom